Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,978 members, 7,938,940 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 03:15 PM

Benin Is Nigeria’s 37th State, Says Country’s President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Is Nigeria’s 37th State, Says Country’s President (665 Views)

Germany, Nigeria's 37th State / Bakassi - Jonathan Says Country Committed To ICJ Ruling / ‘benin Republic Is Nigeria’s 37th State’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benin Is Nigeria’s 37th State, Says Country’s President by aloyemeka2: 12:26am On Aug 11, 2011
[size=14pt]Benin is Nigeria’s 37th state, says country’s president[/size]
By Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji
August 10, 2011 02:55AM

The President of Republic of Benin, Bonny Yayi, yesterday praised former president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo, for his contribution to the growth of the African continent, declaring that Mr Obasanjo’s governance style and leadership quality is worthy of emulation.

He also affirmed his attachment to Nigeria, which he promised to visit every one month because his country is like the 37th state of Nigeria.

He made this submission while paying what he called a “thank you visit” to Mr Obasanjo at his private home located at the Hilltop, Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, adding that he was there to show appreciation.

“I have come to visit my father, Baba Obasanjo, who is a world leader who should not be ignored. He contributes positively towards the ongoing genuine democracy in my country, Benin Republic, and many other African nations. I shall forever remain grateful to him,” Mr Yayi said.

He noted that the former Nigerian leader played a major role in his {Yayi’s} emergence as his nation’s president, as well as playing leadership role across the African continent in the spirit of genuine leadership.

Mr Yayi, who flew into Abeokuta in an helicopter, recalled that even after Mr Obasanjo had left office, he had made it possible for him to have direct contact with subsequent Nigerian presidents, Umar Yar’Adua and the incumbent, Goodluck Jonathan, for his country to have good working relationship with Nigeria.

At home in Nigeria

He said he had resolved that, henceforth, he would be visiting Nigeria on a monthly basis so that the cordial relationship between his government and that of Nigeria will remain intact, stressing that the two countries share the same tradition and culture.

Mr Yayi boasted that he had “tapped from the fountain of knowledge of Obasanjo” and he was proud over that, pointing out that Mr Obasanjo’s work on the growth of Africa made him to name a street after him in Benin Republic.

“For me, Obasanjo is my father because since I came on board as president, he has been of tremendous help to me and my country.

“Anytime I see him, I am always very very happy. I am at home coming to see him. Obasanjo is a great man. What is important to me is for God to give him long life. My plan is to be coming to Nigeria every month because we cannot do without Nigeria. Benin is like the 37th state of Nigeria,” he said.

Welcoming his guest, Mr Obasanjo noted that the visit of the Beninoise President to his home is like a visit to Nigeria, adding that he was delighted to receive him.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5738413-146/story.csp
Re: Benin Is Nigeria’s 37th State, Says Country’s President by aloyemeka2: 12:29am On Aug 11, 2011
Where is BecomeRich to refute this claim?.

(1) (Reply)

A Caution On China / Massob Celebrates Ojukwu’s Recovery / Babangida: I ‘ll Embrace Baba Iyabo If I See Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.