Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,246 members, 7,981,419 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 04:46 PM

Learn More About: Verbs, Patterns Of Verbs And Term Verbs. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Learn More About: Verbs, Patterns Of Verbs And Term Verbs. (187 Views)

Get Your Seminars , Project And Term Paper Done / The Stress Patterns Of Two-syllable Words / Types Of Verbs In English With Examples (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn More About: Verbs, Patterns Of Verbs And Term Verbs. by Emeritus1200: 9:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
Verbs: verbs are words that show actions and states of being.

The reason for the definition is that there are some verbs that do not perform actions. So it will be insensitive to say that all verbs perform actions and to define verbs as action words. You will learn more about this later in this lesson.

There are types and forms of verbs. I will teach everything accordingly.

Types of Verbs

Lexical verbs: these are verbs that can stand alone and have complete meanings. Examples: go, sing, dance, come, write, give etc. Lexical verbs are also known as main verbs, real verbs or principal verbs.

I go to school.

She dances very well every time.

Lexical verbs, in present tense, can be divided into two; they are singular and plural. Singular verbs always end with the letter “S” as in; sings, walks, jumps, goes, knows, strikes etc.

Plural verbs do not end with the letter “S” as in; sing, walk, jump, go, know, strike etc.

Note: a singular verb must be used after singular subject ( the doer of an action)

The man always comes here.

Dara sings pleasantly.

The man (one person) the verb singular (comes)

Note: after a plural subject, a plural verb must be used

The men always come here.

Helping verbs: There are many types of helping verbs but I will explain three, which are; primary helping verb, modal verb, anomalous verb.

1. Primary helping verb: AM, IS, ARE, WAS, WERE etc.

Note: a continuous form of verb (verb + ing) can come after the primary helping verb.

I am SINGING in the church.

Note: a past participle form of verb can come after the primary helping verb if the sentence is in passive voice.

I am KNOWN by people as a writer.

The assignment is WRITTEN.

2. Modal verb: can, could, may, might, shall, should, will,would, ought to, had to,need, must, dare.

Note: modal verbs attract plural lexical verbs either the subject is singular or plural.

I can FLY (not FLIES) like a butterfly.

I must SEE you today.

3. Anomalous verbs: has,have, had.

These attract past participle forms of verbs.

Note: you have to read present tense, past tense and past participle very well.

Go – went – gone, sing – sang – sung, burst – burst – burst, get – got – got, hang (criminal) – hanged – hanged etc.

I have GONE there.

He has got to the place.

Special notice: all singular verbs end with letter “s” as in; is, has, comes etc.

Even “WAS” that is in past tense form ends with letter “s” thereby making it singular.

HAD is the past tense of HAS and HAVE.

FORMS OF VERBS.

1. Stative verbs: they express states of being rather than actions. I explained earlier that there are some verbs that do not perform actions. So, there are ways they – stative verbs- can be used. They relate with thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses etc.

Examples of stative verbs: see, understand, hear, smell, love, hate, seem, listen, recognize, agree, believe, perceive, include, imaging, suppose, know, like,dislike, want, remember, appreciate,mind, depend, consist, comprise, detest etc.

English users are to be careful with stative verbs. Why? If you use a stative verb in (ing) before a primary helping verb, it can be bad English or it may be wrongly used

Buhari is seeing Kudi ( wrongly used) the statement means that Buhari and Kudi are dating each other.

I am loving you ( bad English)

These are correct sentences below;

Buhari sees Kudi

I love you.

They understand you.

Do you listen to me ( not ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME)

2. Dynamic verbs: these are action words. They attract (ing). These verbs describe the action that can start and finish. They demonstrate the action words that can be seen to be demonstrated. When someone RUNS, you can see the action – that is dynamic. But when someone LOVES another person, can the verb be seen to be demonstrated? No! Someone can claim to love someone and still kill that person

3. Infinitive verbs: these are verbs that start with TO and are followed by verbs in base. Ifinitive will surely have TO + a verb in base form.

To go, to sit, to jump, to come etc.

PATTERNS OF VERBS.

1. Verbs followed by ING.

There are the lexical verbs that attract other lexical verbs that end with ING. Examples: stop, start, love, like, hate, enjoy, finish, mind, help, avoid, deny, admit etc.

I can’t stop LOVING you.

He starts BEHAVING like an animal.

Do you mind EATING any food?

I enjoy DRINKING alcohol a lot.

2. Verbs followed by infinitives: grow, afford, love, start, like, hate,want, prefer, eat, dance, look, stand, come, go, remember, agree, plan, decide etc.

So, after any of the verbs, a verb that has TO + the base form of the verb should follow.

I want TO GO.

He swims TO IMPRESS people.

3. Verbs followed by ING and INFINITIVE.

examples: love, hate, help, start, prefer, etc. I believe you should have understood this.

Continue reading
https://www.emeritushub.com/verbs-and-types-of-verbs/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hard/cold Start Toyota Camry 1999 2.2L Engine. / How Does Using A TMS Make Translation Project Management Effortless? / Full Requirements For Registration Of NYSC To Nigerian Foreign -trained Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.