Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,314 members, 7,881,158 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:34 PM

Advice Urgently Needed Please - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Advice Urgently Needed Please (217 Views)

Legal Advice Urgently Needed / Advice Urgently Needed / Building Experts, Analyses And Advise Needed, Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Urgently Needed Please by oakfruit: 2:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
Good day everyone,

Dad rented out a two bedroom flat to a guy and lady (couple) in their late twenties, the guy from kuta area of Osun and the girl from Ilorin back in 2019, they paid in June but he allowed their money to start reading officially in July despite the fact that they already took charge since that month of June. They were brought by one shopless road side estate agent (quack). The following year, July 2020 they paid the year rent in almost five instalments with 25k being the highest and in average of one and half month, note that the total annual rent is just one hundred thousand naira and in the subsequent year 2021 (third year) they refused to pay anything throughout but not until around August ending when he decided to get another agent. This time a responsible and professional estate agent who advised him to lock them out in the night and give the rest of the tenants each spare key of the new lock to the main gate which he did and with the look of thing that very day, they slept at the boy father's house, a face me face you upstairs with several vacant rooms where nobody likes to live and is not too far from our place. His father is diabolic and has been attested to by people in their vicinity.

They had to come home very early in the morning the following day and on that day, the guy paid seventy thousand naira through transfer into the account of the new agent meaning that the money was available but only decided to take dad for granted just because of his leniency and someone with soft and subtle mind.

Then father asked the new estate manager to prepare litigation through a legal practitioner and before a law court using the seventy thousand naira paid. Lest I forget, this couple had already been served three months quit notice and another final seven days amidst their non payment period but still, these guys never care.

These people neither practise Christianity nor Islam as young as they are but always bring some alfas to their apartment for some kind of private things not known to anybody in the compound, though that is their own cup of tea in as much as they are not troubling others.

The professional estate manager finally file a case at a court of law and is to hold on the 27th day of September, 2022 and the case is to: answer the plaintiff's claim for "Recovery of vacant possession of two (2) bedrooms flat with its appurtenance occupying by the defendant as a tenant in the plaintiff's property." Part of the particular of claim is non payment of vigilante fee of #1000 per month with effect from 1st November 2021 until the defendant deliver up vacant possession. Also payment of electricity fee at the sum of #2,000 per month with effect from 1st February, 2020 until the defendant deliver up vacant possession. Lastly on the particulars of claim is "payment of litigation fee as a cost of institute this action against the defendants. "

The summon was brought by a bailiff to the defendant on Saturday 27th of August, 2022 in order to meet them at home. By and large, the wife was met at home with her two kids she bore when they got to our house and was served the paper. All these were to eject them from the premise and nothing more. They are to be at the law court for appearance on the 27th of September, 2022. Lo and behold my dad died on the 3rd of September, 2022 and was buried the same day due to the nature of the death. Prior to his death, he was very hail and healthy without any sign of death in the next twenty years on him. This has pour very cold water in my mind and neighbours around since then.

Though this case still stand but fellow nairalanders in the house, please what can I do outside the court of law? How can I exit them or get them quitted from the property as the new estate agent seems not to be solid in mind any more probably due to the demise of my father. Note that they are still owing vigilante and electricity fees. Vigilante money is going to the community. I don't even want them to pay any rent again but service charges are very necessary. I happen to be the only guy around as others are in their various stations outside the shore of the country.

Please I need your advice both legal practitioners and estate managers & valuers in the house. Your positive advice will be taken in high measure and will also go a long way to uphold a legacy.

Thank you all.

Ps: This guy after paying the seventy thousand naira to the agent told father that he should be given six months quit notice as against the three months and seven days initially given. And he was confidently saying it and now by play by play he's already using six months altogether. The location is Ibadan.

Lawyer (s) in the house I need your counsel here. Lalasticlala
Re: Advice Urgently Needed Please by Polaris1: 3:46pm On Sep 18, 2022
Sorry for the loss of your dad.
This may be complex.
The plaintiff (your dad) has passed on, hopefully your lawyer may apply to the court for you to be joined and for accelerated hearing to be granted to you.
Diabolicals can't be proved so I suggest you tone down that angle.
The agent that brought him is of minor importance.
If there were no written tenancy agreement I daresay the previous 3 months notice to quit (may) be voided. Oral agreements are as valid as written ones but do you have witnesses and other supporting evidence?
Is the defendant represented by a lawyer?
Has he filed a response? (Your lawyer will know)
A lot also depend on the disposition of the judge.

Since the eviction process is already initiated in court, your lawyer is your best asset.
If you sit down with him, he should be able to explain the barriers and possible outcomes to you.
Pay him a visit.
Once again, accept my condolences.

1 Like

Re: Advice Urgently Needed Please by oakfruit: 7:24am On Sep 19, 2022
Polaris1:
Sorry for the loss of your dad.
This may be complex.
The plaintiff (your dad) has passed on, hopefully your lawyer may apply to the court for you to be joined and for accelerated hearing to be granted to you.
Diabolicals can't be proved so I suggest you tone down that angle.
The agent that brought him is of minor importance.
If there were no written tenancy agreement I daresay the previous 3 months notice to quit (may) be voided. Oral agreements are as valid as written ones but do you have witnesses and other supporting evidence?
Is the defendant represented by a lawyer?
Has he filed a response? (Your lawyer will know)
A lot also depend on the disposition of the judge.

Since the eviction process is already initiated in court, your lawyer is your best asset.
If you sit down with him, he should be able to explain the barriers and possible outcomes to you.
Pay him a visit.
Once again, accept my condolences.

Thank you, you're so much appreciated
Re: Advice Urgently Needed Please by Caffeine(m): 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2022
Scary stuff. Hope it gets sorted brother. Condolences on your loss.
Re: Advice Urgently Needed Please by oakfruit: 6:24pm On Oct 12, 2022
Caffeine:
Scary stuff. Hope it gets sorted brother. Condolences on your loss.

Not yet sir,

The respondents (husband and wife) were expected on that day at the law court but refused to show up. May we not admit deadly tenant into our house.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Basic Tips To Note When Building Your First Home / A Well Furnished 4 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale With All Items In It. Ikorodu / Shared Apartments For Rent In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.