Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,555 members, 7,968,582 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 09:47 AM

Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 (2971 Views)

A Sound Sharp Venza Of Yesterday Now Throwing Blue Smokes / Between Nigeria Used Volvo Xc90 2004 And Honda Civic 2006 Which Is A Better Buy / Advice Please - Honda Civic 2006-2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by CocoaOla: 4:43am On Sep 26, 2022
koloqua:
Hi guys/gurus,

I just bought a Nigerian used Honda Civic 2006, last month, the owner was using 20w-50, after the whole servicing, I changed the oil to 5w-20 (as recommended on the engine cover),

The car started bringing out blue smoke on startup, but now it's worse, the smokes follows me everywhere while driving without stopping and gets worse whenever I step on the accelerator.. while the check engine light is showing .

I showed 2 Mechanics and without opening the bonnet, they assumed its the rings and needs engine rebuild/ringing..

Please advise gurus

Cc: Gazzuzz ; cyborg123; Nobody
You mean colour Blue
Wrong description

Petrol engine only burn rich mixture of white, black or grey

Diesel engines burn rich mixture of sky light blue or black

Check out the engine code
Oil pressure sensor
Physical oil leaks
Dont race up your car to highest engine speed on light engine oil

Light engine oil like 5w20 is designed for fuel economy not speed/racing

Too heavy thick oil bad fuel economy bad cold engine start good antiware protections

5w20 weight oil means numbers 5 stand for oil thickness when the engine is cold
And (thin,light easy to flow through like water ) the smaller number like 0,1 is just like water very light at cold temperature good for starting.

And 20 stand for oil thickness when the engine is in oprating temperature 160 degree hot (heavy,thick like honey to protect the engine from friction ware and tear) the higher the number like 25, 30 the thicker

Op give me my one naira or one kobo

1 Like

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 4:43am On Sep 26, 2022
koloqua:

Is there a way I can measure it myself? Because I dropped it at the mechanic place and paid only advance, He said it's half engine he will buy then mix the parts needing changing with one another..
He said total cost will be 95k excluding engine oil, so I paid him 40k and said will balance if work is done..
Will I use the 20w-50 once he's done? Or revert to the recommended 5w-20?.. is Mobil 2000 5w-30 same with 5w-20 as stated on the engine cover? Can I use it in placement of the other ?

My first advice for you is to take some days off work to be with the mechanic while he is buying the half engine so he won't give you a poorly ringed half. Probably buy from the most thrusted dealer in the market. Stay and watch him till the engine is completely fixed. Your presence will save a lot in your car.

The measurements is done by professional mechanics with some tools which you can't do. Don't sell your replaced block. If you are in Lagos you can meet Gazzuzz to help measure and check if the block is still okay. Or you seek for the best mech on nairaland based on your location. Or get a trusted engine part dealer in your location to help you out. Don't involve your mech in this please

5w 30 Mobil 2000 is close to 5w 20 oil but it is a bit thicker and semi synthetic. You can use it after he half engine is installed.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 4:44am On Sep 26, 2022
CocoaOla:

You mean colour Blue
Wrong description

Petrol engine only burn rich mixture of white or black

Diesel engines burn rich mixture of sky light blue

Oil pressure sensor
Physical oil leaks

Light engine oil is designed for fuel economy not speed

Blue smoke means oil burns in cars

1 Like

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 4:45am On Sep 26, 2022
mejai:
how much is complete engine?

This would have been better
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by CocoaOla: 5:06am On Sep 26, 2022
Dozieson:

Blue smoke means oil burns in cars

In which type of vehicle? OLODO RABATA

Blue has a higher color temperature (above 3200 – 4000 Kelvin)

Incase you don't know what blue means learn tongue

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 7:33am On Sep 26, 2022
mejai:
how much is complete engine?

Complete Engine is 200k
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 7:35am On Sep 26, 2022
CocoaOla:

You mean colour Blue
Wrong description

Petrol engine only burn rich mixture of white, black or grey

Diesel engines burn rich mixture of sky light blue or black

Oil pressure sensor
Physical oil leaks

Light engine oil like 5w20 is designed for fuel economy not speed/racing

Too heavy thick oil bad fuel economy bad cold engine start good antiware protections

5w20 weight oil means numbers 5 stand for oil thickness when the engine is cold
And (thin,light easy to flow through like water ) the smaller number like 0,1 is just like water very light at cold temperature good for starting.

And 20 stand for oil thickness when the engine is in oprating temperature 160 degree hot (heavy,thick like honey to protect the engine from friction ware and tear) the higher the number like 25, 30 the thicker

Op give me my one naira or one kobo

Thanks very much for this Oil enlightenment..
Also, the smoke that comes out is light blue, and it's a petrol car too..
There is visible oil leakages around the engine, but doesn't appear much on the floor, just a very little drop that doesn't shout alarm, but that blue smoke is so much that I drive the car for 30 mins and the smoke follows me all through till the engine is switched off
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 7:51am On Sep 26, 2022
Dozieson:

My first advice for you is to take some days off work to be with the mechanic while he is buying the half engine so he won't give you a poorly ringed half. Probably buy from the most thrusted dealer in the market. Stay and watch him till the engine is completely fixed. Your presence will save a lot in your car.

The measurements is done by professional mechanics with some tools which you can't do. Don't sell your replaced block. If you are in Lagos you can meet Gazzuzz to help measure and check if the block is still okay. Or you seek for the best mech on nairaland based on your location. Or get a trusted engine part dealer in your location to help you out. Don't involve your mech in this please

5w 30 Mobil 2000 is close to 5w 20 oil but it is a bit thicker and semi synthetic. You can use it after he half engine is installed.

I am currently In ibadan, still a learner, 4 days old, not sure I have enough confidence to drive through the expressway and Lagos route yet.. please do you know a professional in Ibadan that can measure it?
Also what is the disadvantages of getting a wrong measurements, either bigger or smaller ?

I took a 3 days sick leave from work to monitor him, right now I'm just feeling it's no more of use as I don't even know how to differentiate a good engine components against a bad one other than physical stuffs like glue and dirt or not polished, I don't even know what I am looking at, but will appreciate if you can enlighten me on what to look out for.

Regarding the oil, so I can switch to Mobil 2000 5w-30 now as against Total Quartz 5000 20w-50 which was previously used for years by the previous owner?
Also due to Mobil very high cost, is there any good alternative that you can recommend also?
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by mejai(m): 8:09am On Sep 26, 2022
koloqua:

Complete Engine is 200k
If I were in ur shoes.....

1) revert back to the 20w50

2) fix the leaks

3) save ur 80k

4) look for 120k + labour to fix another engine. If 1&2 no help.

5) use recommended oil.

6) have rest of mind.

1 Like

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by dicksonadams(m): 8:24am On Sep 26, 2022
Just get an engine replacement, please do not rebuild or overhaul the current engine, they don't last.

200k for engine replacement is even on the cheap side in today's exchange rate.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 9:26am On Sep 26, 2022
mejai:

If I were in ur shoes.....

1) revert back to the 20w50

2) fix the leaks

3) save ur 80k

4) look for 120k + labour to fix another engine. If 1&2 no help.

5) use recommended oil.

6) have rest of mind.

Thanks for the options, really appreciate... Will talk to the mechanic this morning
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 9:27am On Sep 26, 2022
dicksonadams:
Just get an engine replacement, please do not rebuild or overhaul the current engine, they don't last.

200k for engine replacement is even on the cheap side in today's exchange rate.

That's my fear on the rebuild, and currently the 200k is a mountain to climb...
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by Dozieson(m): 10:50am On Sep 26, 2022
CocoaOla:

No need
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 11:24am On Sep 26, 2022
CocoaOla:

Honestly it's blue smoke color, the smoke even has a burning smell of oil too .
Blue smokes I've seen it mostly on Bikes and smaller lorries that carries cement, pure water and few times on those driving school manual beetle cars
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by CocoaOla: 10:39pm On Sep 26, 2022
Dozieson:

No need
my chairman don't mind me everyone is right

There is love in sharing

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 8:04pm On Oct 15, 2022
cyborg123:

There's a high likelihood it would stop. But I'm not guaranteeing that.

You have to test and give feedback. If possible, use the previous owner's mechanic.

Also... you don't necessarily have to waste the current oil you are using. You can drain and use it with your generator.

Hello, I just want to let you know I went ahead in doing a engine rebuild, fortunately the Engine block was the major problem as it was cracked and visible oil was slipping through that's why caused the blue smoking,

Now the car is going smoothly, no smoking even with AC on and it's due for service December first week..

There is new observation, whenever I drive the car for a while, once I get a slow spot and I put the car on P, when I take it back to R or D, the Engine losses power but the lights are still on in the car, if I turn the car off to restart, it doesn't start until I let it cool off for Few minutes (10-20mins), then it starts .

Please what can be the cause? My mecho says it rewire field and might have something to do with wiring breaching or Relay running bad..

Please avdise
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by cyborg123(m): 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2022
koloqua:

Hello, I just want to let you know I went ahead in doing a engine rebuild, fortunately the Engine block was the major problem as it was cracked and visible oil was slipping through that's why caused the blue smoking,

Now the car is going smoothly, no smoking even with AC on and it's due for service December first week..

There is new observation, whenever I drive the car for a while, once I get a slow spot and I put the car on P, when I take it back to R or D, the Engine losses power but the lights are still on in the car, if I turn the car off to restart, it doesn't start until I let it cool off for Few minutes (10-20mins), then it starts .

Please what can be the cause? My mecho says it rewire field and might have something to do with wiring breaching or Relay running bad..

Please avdise
Hi... Was any electrical work done while working on the block?

The problems at hand seems like an engine timing issue to me.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 9:47am On Oct 16, 2022
cyborg123:

Hi... Was any electrical work done while working on the block?

The problems at hand seems like an engine timing issue to me.

During the Engine Block rebuild, no wiring work was done, but after 2 weeks, my throttle was having a major concern, the throttle wasn't responsive (though, it happens before the rebuild occasionally, but once I park the car and restart, it gets back to normal, and it's throttle-less), Then rewire tampered with the wirings both inside the dashboard and Engine compactment, now it doesn't do so anymore, but notice my dashboard lights (speedometer and odometer) are very dim to barely visible in sun, and the same rewire has been unable to restore it back...
as I remembered, it happened once the car went off, and the mecho checked the timing chain and found a pin broke in the compactment, which he fixed

Also, I fixed the AC, and now once I'm driving and put the car on reverse or return from reverse to drive, the engine goes off (this doesn't happen when AC was faulty),

Now I dunno if it's the AC or that broken pin in the Timing chain compactment that's making the car go off when driving for a while once it's been shifted from drive to reverse, vice versa or from park to drive/reverse
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by cyborg123(m): 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2022
Check around the engine for unplugged wires, connectors or vacuum hoses. It can cause idling issues leading to periodic engine stalling (You can also upload pictures of the engine bay).

Also, check the fuel pump whether it's getting weak. If okay, then the timing settings of the engine may be a little off, hence, the hard starting when hot.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 12:53pm On Oct 18, 2022
cyborg123:
Check around the engine for unplugged wires, connectors or vacuum hoses. It can cause idling issues leading to periodic engine stalling (You can also upload pictures of the engine bay).

Also, check the fuel pump whether it's getting weak. If okay, then the timing settings of the engine may be a little off, hence, the hard starting when hot.

Okay, I checked as advised and my Kickstarter was weak, when it gets hot, it doesn't start until cool down for 10 mins, I just had it repaired yesterday,
while the switching off the engine when trying to shift from drive to reverse etc, was from the Gearbox, the rewire said it was the Gear switch (dunno what he meant)..

Now the only problem facing is the Car slagging and shaking, then switching off when Ac is on,... The rewire said it should be the Fuel Pump and Clogged/dirty filter since it doesn't do so when AC is off...

What do you think?
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by kay29000(m): 2:48pm On Oct 18, 2022
koloqua:
Hi guys/gurus,

I just bought a Nigerian used Honda Civic 2006, last month, the owner was using 20w-50, after the whole servicing, I changed the oil to 5w-20 (as recommended on the engine cover),

The car started bringing out blue smoke on startup, but now it's worse, the smokes follows me everywhere while driving without stopping and gets worse whenever I step on the accelerator.. while the check engine light is showing .

I showed 2 Mechanics and without opening the bonnet, they assumed its the rings and needs engine rebuild/ringing..

Please advise gurus

Cc: Gazzuzz ; cyborg123; Nobody

I know this is not a funny matter but the bolded made me laugh.

All the best.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by cyborg123(m): 3:42pm On Oct 18, 2022
koloqua:

Okay, I checked as advised and my Kickstarter was weak, when it gets hot, it doesn't start until cool down for 10 mins, I just had it repaired yesterday,
while the switching off the engine when trying to shift from drive to reverse etc, was from the Gearbox, the rewire said it was the Gear switch (dunno what he meant)..

Now the only problem facing is the Car slagging and shaking, then switching off when Ac is on,... The rewire said it should be the Fuel Pump and Clogged/dirty filter since it doesn't do so when AC is off...

What do you think?

Dirty throttle body/Idle Air Control(IAC) Valve. Check/clean this before disturbing pump/gear switch.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 5:43pm On Oct 18, 2022
cyborg123:

Dirty throttle body/Idle Air Control(IAC) Valve. Check/clean this before disturbing pump/gear switch.

Where can I find it in a Honda Civic 2006 model? I just want to be informed so that I can easily direct them without having something different done..

I thought the fuel pump was even bad lol, thank God they haven't touched it
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 5:43pm On Oct 18, 2022
kay29000:

I know this is not a funny matter but the bolded made me laugh.

All the best.

Lol, it wasn't funny then o... It was very embarrassing

1 Like

Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by cyborg123(m): 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2022
koloqua:

Where can I find it in a Honda Civic 2006 model? I just want to be informed so that I can easily direct them without having something different done..

I thought the fuel pump was even bad lol, thank God they haven't touched it
It's somewhere under the air cleaner... It's better you google it or even watch videos about it on YouTube.
Re: Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006 by koloqua(m): 9:29pm On Oct 18, 2022
cyborg123:

It's somewhere under the air cleaner... It's better you google it or even watch videos about it on YouTube.
Thank you so much, will have my mecho check this first before doing any Fuel Pump

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tokunbohs Are Now Very Scarce In The U.S. / Ever Used The CRUISE CONTROL On Your Car Before? / Car Cranks But Not Start

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.