Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,856 members, 7,879,614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 11:25 PM

Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai (2351 Views)

Independence Anniversary Expenditure For The Past 5 Years. - Nasir El-rufai / Nasir El Rufai Tweet That Got Twitter Buzzing On Saturday / I Rejected Jonathan’s Offer Of Interim VP – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:06am On Aug 15, 2011
Former director general of the Bureau for Public Enterprises, Nasir El Rufai, denies collecting bribes from Mike Adenuga through a junior colleague, Jean-Charles Osuji. A press statement issued by El Rufai's aide said the Mr. El rufai didn't seek or receive bribe from Adenuga as claimed by Mr. Osuji yetserday at a senate public hearing.

See press release below:

Our country has come to a sorry pass, where shame and contrition have disappeared. In which other clime can a man under oath before a Senate Committee, admit receiving a bribe, yet expect no immediate retribution? This sums up Mallam Nasir El Rufai’s response to the testimony of Charles Osuji, a former staff of the BPE, at the Senate hearings on privatisation. As Osuji testified, he collected a bribe from Mike Adenuga, and El-Rufai never sought or collected bribe from anyone either in his twenty years of professional practice or in a decade of public service. Osuji went on a frolic of his own, and collected the money, and then told El-Rufai about it. El-Rufai rejected the bribe and ensured Osuji was punished for collecting it. That was the proper thing to do, and it was done.

Mike Adenuga offered the highest price for the National Oil and Chemical Company (NOLCHEM) when it was being privatised, and the BPE under El-Rufai’s leadership recommended his as the winning bid. El-Rufai-led BPE maintained the integrity of the bid process despite intense pressures from the political leadership of Nigeria at the time and at least one foreign government.

The bidders for NOLCHEM were: Engen of South Africa, which was the former Exxon South Africa, Mike Adenuga of Consolidated Oil, Chief Igweh, the owner of Bolingo Hotels, Shell BV and a consortium led by Mr. Kola Abiola. As the bids were being evaluated, President Obasanjo informed El-Rufai that Shell’s management had come to him complaining that BPE had frustrated their bid for NOLCHEM. Thabo Mbeki, then South African President, had also called Obasanjo to press Engen’s case.

As the bid process unfolded, Vice-President Abubakar Atiku also told El Rufai that a former president and a notable traditional ruler had asked him to intervene for Mike Adenuga’s Consolidated Oil. The firm response from the BPE was that only the highest bid price could win. At the end, Adenuga submitted the highest bid of something like N36 per share, and he won. Engen offered N28, while Bolingo’s bid was for N34.

Shortly after Adenuga’s winning bid was announced, Osuji came to inform El Rufai that he had been asked by Adenuga to give him N25 million and US $100,000 as 'a gift' in gratitude for selling NOLCHEM to him. El Rufai asked Osuji to return the money, and the latter insinuated that Adenuga had consulted the Vice President about the bribe. El Rufai brought this to the attention of the Vice President who not only denied any involvement but agreed that Osuji’s conduct should earn him a sack from the BPE job. Osuji was then queried and he failed to respond to the query in time.

As a Deputy-Director, the approval of the National Council for Privatisation (NCP) was required to terminate Osuji's appointment, and it was granted by the Vice President. At the next meeting of the NCP, members of Council, particularly Late Bola Ige, then Attorney-General and Joseph Sanusi, then Governor of the Central Bank made the case for the conversion of Osuji's termination to outright dismissal, and prosecution under the ICPC Act. The file must still be in the Federal Ministry of Justice. And there is no better time to complete this

The idea that things cannot be done according to due process and in a fair manner is unfortunate, but it lingers because even people who win a fair process were always prepared to subvert and rig it. Osuji is a liar and perjurer. It is time the law takes it own course, this once.

Mallam El-Rufai is as always proud that he kept his integrity and resisted pressure to bend the rules for anyone while in public service. He challenges anyone with any evidence to the contrary to make such public.

http://saharareporters.com/press-release/privatization-scams-i-rejected-adenuga%E2%80%99s-100000-bribe-says-nasir-el-rufai
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by okadaman2: 1:53am On Aug 15, 2011
There is no reason why The giver of the briber and the taker should not go to jail for this. We have enough laws to send these criminals away for a looong time.

Now, a man has made a statement under oath before the senate of the Federal Republic and indicted Mike Adenuga for giving a bribe. Another witness -el-Rufai- has confimed it and mentioned Ige, Joseph Sanusi, Atiku, Obasanjo and others as witnesses in this matter. Mike Adenuga and Osuji should be tried and jailed. If El-Rufai is lying he should be jailed too.

Osuji should not be the only fall guy here. Mike Adenuga especially has committeed a serious crime by bribing and the executive council at that time was aware hence the sacking of Osuji.

Mike Adenuga should go to jail for this. Paddy can manage globacom

Oga GEJ, over to you o, this is a corruption case you can use. We nor wan hear story o. Just watch IBB, I see his unspoken name in this case too.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by dustydee: 9:31am On Aug 15, 2011
Only in Nigeria. How come the guy hasn't been arrested?
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by zomby(m): 1:25pm On Aug 15, 2011
Mike Adenuga offered the highest price for the National Oil and Chemical Company (NOLCHEM) when it was being privatised, and the BPE under El-Rufai’s leadership recommended his as the winning bid. El-Rufai-led BPE maintained the integrity of the bid process despite intense pressures from the political leadership of Nigeria at the time and at least one foreign government.

okada_man: Something must be wrong with your head.

Mike was not only the highest bidder, he also paid full price for the National Oil and Chemical Company. The question I expect folks to be asking is: What exactly was the gift for?

My Answer:
Adenuga is known to be extremely generous when it comes to giving gifts to relevant people. I believe he offered to give these people gifts to make the rest of the process to go smoothly.
It isn't always the right way to do business, but if you live or do business in Nigeria I believe you will completely understand why it is very important to give such gifts.

FACT: Nothing goes smoothly in Nigeria if you're not ready to give gifts. This is why they do not call it bribe, they call it gift.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by zomby(m): 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2011
El-Rufai knew about the gift, but rejected it simply because he did not believe that Mike couldn't afford to give the gift in a lump sum.
Again, if you live or do business in Nigeria you will completely understand that getting this type of gift "small small" can open a can full of worms.

In any case, Adenuga has no worries and absolutely not to be blamed, instead I will suggest for the system and people to be blamed.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2011
zomby:

Mike was not only the highest bidder, he also paid full price for the National Oil and Chemical Company. The question I expect folks to be asking is: What exactly was the gift for?

My Answer:
Adenuga is known to be extremely generous when it comes to giving gifts to relevant people. I believe he offered to give these people gifts to make the rest of the process to go smoothly.
It isn't always the right way to do business, but if you live or do business in Nigeria I believe you will completely understand why it is very important to give such gifts.
FACT: Nothing goes smoothly in Nigeria if you're not ready to give gifts. This is why they do not call it bribe, they call it gift.

Bribe in business is part of what we do in Nigeria. i dont think it should be a crime. This is how it s done in China and some south east asian countries. we should just accept this method of business and try not to be like Americans or British we dont have to live like them
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Beaf: 7:06pm On Aug 15, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

Bribe in business is part of what we do in Nigeria. i dont think it should be a crime. This is how it s done in China and some south east asian countries. we should just accept this method of business and try not to be like Americans or British we dont have to live like them

Its just that if you are caught in China, your family buys the bullet that will fit between your ears.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Depilot(m): 7:19pm On Aug 15, 2011

I disagree.
We do not have to live or operate this way in Nigeria. It is senseless and totally uncivilized method of operation. Furthermore, it makes it very difficult to do business or live in Nigeria, and at the end of the day we are only hurting ourselves.
In some areas in Nigeria, you can't even wipe your own @ss without someone asking for  a kick back. It is sad and very shameful.

I can't even imagine how much its costing People Like Adenuga annually on giving kick backs to these shameless human beings for simple things to materialize.
I honestly believe that El-Rufai has a lot to do with the bribe gift given by Mike, but the other people who have the power to probe and prosecute El-Rufai are also collecting bribe left and right on a daily basis, therefore these f00ls are pretty much guilty of the same crime.
I see nothing coming out of this mess as usual
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by honeric01(m): 7:46pm On Aug 15, 2011
How's bribe part of business culture in Nigeria? if it is, why then was Osuji fired?
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
Depilot:

I disagree.
We do not have to live or operate this way in Nigeria. It is senseless and totally uncivilized method of operation. Furthermore, it makes it very difficult to do business or live in Nigeria, and at the end of the day we are only hurting ourselves.
In some areas in Nigeria, you can't even wipe your own @ss without someone asking for  a kick back. It is sad and very shameful.

I can't even imagine how much its costing People Like Adenuga annually on giving kick backs to these shameless human beings for simple things to materialize.
I honestly believe that El-Rufai has a lot to do with the bribe gift given by Mike, but the other people who have the power to probe and prosecute El-Rufai are also collecting bribe left and right on a daily basis, therefore these f00ls are pretty much guilty of the same crime.
I see nothing coming out of this mess as usual

If it uncivilized , then how come the Chinese economy is moving at a fast pace. Wake up.
Bribe will never leave Nigerian business operations. there is no reason to hide it. if you know ur onions in business(according to this your write up) you would know what i mean
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 15, 2011
Beaf:

Its just that if you are caught in China, your family buys the bullet that will fit between your ears.

Thats a lie my friend
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by aloyemeka2: 9:05pm On Aug 15, 2011
[size=14pt]‘I collected bribe from Adenuga for El-Rufai’[/size]
By Oluwole Josiah
Sunday, 14 Aug 2011

The Senate Ad hoc Committee on Privatisation was on Saturday treated to a drama when a former Deputy Director of the Bureau of Public Enterprises, Mr. Charles Osuji, said he collected a bribe from Globalcom Chairman, Mike Adenuga for Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, after the sale of National Oil.

Osuji, who brazenly admitted going to Adenuga on behalf of El-Rufai even when the transactions on the sale of National Oil had been concluded, said he acted on the directive of El-Rufai.

He also said that when he brought the money to El-Rufai, he refused to collect it because, “Adenuga brought the money in bits and so it was incomplete.”

According to Osuji, El-Rufai eventually ordered his dismissal from the BPE

Although he did not disclose the amount that was given to him as bribe for El-Rufai, Osuji explained that he could not deliver the entire bribe sum because the money was given to him in bits.

But El-Rufai in his reaction, told journalists that Osuji first brought a N25m Zenith Bank cheque to him.

He said after he ordered Osuji to return the money to Adenuga, who had already acquired National Oil, Osuji subsequently returned with $100,000 cash which he did not accept.

El-Rufai, “I reported the matter to the Vice President who was the Chairman of the NCP, and he and the then Attorney General, Bola Ige requested that Osuji be prosecuted.”

The former FCT minister said Osuji could not be prosecuted because Ige died shortly after that, but the NCP directed that he should be dismissed.

Chairman of the committee, Ahmed Lawan and members of the committee were shocked to hear the story and they said Osuji should have been arrested and prosecuted for his actions.

Lawan said, “This is sad. A deputy director collected money for BPE, if this is happening in BPE, it is additional misery for Nigeria. He should have been arrested and prosecuted.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108142265468
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by okadaman2: 9:58pm On Aug 15, 2011
zomby:

My Answer:

Which side did you inherit your madness from? Maternal or paternal?

You admitted that Mike probably gave a "gift" (bribe) to make things "go smoothly" which is of course illegal by the laws of Nigeria and you are talking about your daddy's head because someone pointed that illegality out?

Were you born foolish or you acquired it?

Thunder fire ya right hand! You Son of a looter!  angry
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2011
Did he report it to the police? Why did'nt El-Rufai report this to police at the time? He is complicit in covering up a criminal offence and claiming he purnished Mr Osuji is not enough! El-Rufai is not the law unto himself.

El-Rufai finally in trouble!!!!
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Kobojunkie: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2011
ROFL!!!! I see the 'Adenuga Trumpeter' has been, once again, awakened from his slumber !!! ROFL grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Ibime(m): 10:17pm On Aug 15, 2011
Shyt is hitting the fan. All three have cases to answer.

However, I do empathise with those who say that for any business man to do business in Nigeria, he must give "gifts" to get basic things done. FFS, you have to pay a bribe to get a passport in Nigeria so why should we expect it to be any different for business men?
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by zomby(m): 3:36am On Aug 16, 2011
@Ibime: Please never mind these mugus or should I call them foreigners? Some of these people are gone for too long they can't even remember their last names.

I will repeat myself: for anything to go smoothly in Nigeria you must polish up your image by giving attractive gifts, anything else will be a waste of time and a negative accomplishment; any successful business-man will agree with this fact. Again, It may not be the best way to practice or operate, but for now this is how things are done in Nigeria

For you mugus, you better have extra naira in your pockets when you come for your 2 wks vacation, because gifts give-away starts from the airport (immediately you land).

Adenuga has no worries, because the same f00ls who are busy making noise have also accepted gifts from the same entity.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by zomby(m): 3:48am On Aug 16, 2011
1. The deal was an open/ public auction.
2. Adenuga was not only the highest bidder for the deal, but also paid the price in full.
3. The deal was closed before the gift was distributed, therefore, if there was any gift, it was simply a gift and nothing else
4. Is there any evidence showing Adenuga giving anyone any cheque or money? I do not think so, Mike is too smart to roll like that, plus he is not that accessible (there is possibility that Jean-Charles Osuji or El-Rufai has never met Mike in person before)

No worries, keep flying high, the sky has been moved for you many years ago.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Demdem(m): 10:16am On Aug 16, 2011
zomby:

2. Adenuga was not only the highest bidder for the deal, but also paid the price in full.
3. The deal was closed before the gift was distributed, therefore, if there was any gift, it was simply a gift and nothing else
4. Is there any evidence showing Adenuga giving anyone any cheque or money? I do not think so, Mike is too smart to roll like that, plus he is not that accessible (there is possibility that Jean-Charles Osuji or El-Rufai has never met Mike in person before)

No worries, keep flying high, the sky has been moved for you many years ago.

i like ur summary. its cool and basically tells one what is applicable here in nigeria. however i think this should be tested in the law court. it will definitely enhance our democracy and business environment
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by obowunmi(m): 10:24am On Aug 16, 2011
Some morons will now call Adenuga the most hard working man in Africa and deserves to be noted on the forbes list --- its obvious he lacks any ethical values. Here he, Here he, to Nigerians thieves who cover under and parade as business men.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by foreman: 11:30am On Aug 16, 2011
obowunmi:

Some morons will now call Adenuga the most[b] hard working[/b] man in Africa and deserves to be noted on the forbes list --- its obvious he lacks any ethical values. Here he, Here he, to Nigerians thieves who cover under and parade as business men.

Idi--ota!

So being unethical makes him LESS hardworking?
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Ngwakwe: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2011
The hidden truth may be that El-Rufai is privy to the content of various tenders/ quotations after being submitted and then informed Adenuga to up his offer by a penny hence the compulsory bribe and compensation.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Depilot(m): 6:24pm On Aug 16, 2011
Makes sense.

To all Adenuga haters, you do not get it.
This scenario is simply built up to target El-Rufai and absolutely not Adenuga.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by thithi(f): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2011
too much money to go around
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by okadaman2: 7:42pm On Aug 16, 2011
Depilot:

Makes sense.

To all Adenuga haters, you do not get it.
This scenario is simply built up to target El-Rufai and absolutely not Adenuga.

That means Adenuga is in trouble, because where there's a bribe taker, you must surely find a bribe giver. Or no case.

Patapata el-Rufai will go to jail with Adenuga (that is if GEJ and his tough on corruption promise means anything)

So if Charles or Rufai is going down, Mike should also prepare his jail kits.

Bunch of stuuuuupid common thieves.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by BigB11(m): 7:59pm On Aug 16, 2011
Why do you people crave to waste your energy on unfruitful allegation coming from bunch of clowns?
Why are they (Senate Committee) pretending?
And who is fooling who?

Look, bribe or gift or whatever you want to call it has been part of our defective system in Nigeria for over 40yrs. The only difference now is that Nigerians do not hide it anymore, getting or giving gift is done openly; it is what it is, you want us to do our jobs you must be willing to settle us. Even gate man expects to get gift before revealing whether oga dey home or not. It is very sad, but it is real.
Senate Committee can do us a favor by saving the drama.

I can name up to 30 governors, senators and even a few presidents that have accepted the same kind of gift recently or in the past. Hence, instead of attempting to target El-Rufai for a political reason, I suggest that Senate Committee should keep it real and target our defective system, this way this type of corruption method is killed and buried once and for all.

Expect more games and stories because our leaders are still not sincere and absolutely not serious, trust me.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 16, 2011
The issue has never been about whether bribery or any other kind of corruption goes on in Nigeria or not.

The issue has always been never get caught. El-Rufai has to come to equity with clean hands if he wants to carry on the way he has.

The question is, why did he not report this issue of bribery to the police.

It does not matter what anybody thinks is the norm. Is there anyone of you willing to come to law court and testify under oath that this is the norm and they have been witness to people taking or recieving bribes? I guess the answer will be NO!!!!! and thats what makes it wrong. It does not matter how many times you have seen it happen, it still does not or has not made it right.

Which is why I say dont get caught!!!

If El-Rufai can not explain why he did not report this issue of bribery offence then he is simply complicit in covering up a criminal offence.

It is that simple!!!!
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by okadaman2: 11:09pm On Aug 16, 2011
Shortly after Adenuga’s winning bid was announced, Osuji came to inform El Rufai that he had been asked by Adenuga to give him N25 million and US $100,000 as 'a gift' in gratitude for selling NOLCHEM to him. El Rufai asked Osuji to return the money, and the latter insinuated that Adenuga had consulted the Vice President about the bribe. El Rufai brought this to the attention of the Vice President who not only denied any involvement but agreed that Osuji’s conduct should earn him a sack from the BPE job.  Osuji was then queried and he failed to respond to the query in time.

[b]As a Deputy-Director, the approval of the National Council for Privatisation (NCP) was required to terminate Osuji's appointment, and it was granted by the Vice President.  At the next meeting of the NCP, members of Council, particularly Late Bola Ige, then Attorney-General and Joseph Sanusi, then Governor of the Central Bank made the case for the conversion of Osuji's termination to outright dismissal, and prosecution under the ICPC Act. The file must still be in the Federal Ministry of Justice. [/b]And there is no better time to complete this

Amadioha forbid that I should hold brief for a corrupt stuuuupid Nigerian politician, but according to el-Rufai he reported higher than the Police, it even got to the Ministry of Justice.

Bottom-line, everybody involved in the cover-up should be jailed.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by zomby(m): 11:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
The issue has never been about whether bribery or any other kind of corruption goes on in Nigeria or not.

The issue has always been never get caught. El-Rufai has to come to equity with clean hands if he wants to carry on the way he has.

The question is, why did he not report this issue of bribery to the police.
It does not matter what anybody thinks is the norm. Is there anyone of you willing to come to law court and testify under oath that this is the norm and they have been witness to people taking or recieving bribes? I guess the answer will be NO!!!!! and thats what makes it wrong. It does not matter how many times you have seen it happen, it still does not or has not made it right.

Which is why I say dont get caught!!!
If El-Rufai can not explain why he did not report this issue of bribery offence then he is simply complicit in covering up a criminal offence.

It is that simple!!!!
Oh yeah?

This is a very funny post.
It is either this dude has no clue at all or he has been gone for a very long time.

Don't get caught: Who is getting caught?
Report the issue of bribery to the police: Which police? American police? grin grin grin LMAO
I beg go line up!
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 16, 2011
zomby:

Oh yeah?

This is a very funny post.
It is either this dude has no clue at all or he has been gone for a very long time.

Don't get caught: Who is getting caught?
Report the issue of bribery to the police: Which police? American police? grin grin grin LMAO
I beg go line up!

You are the one who have no clue!!!!

If you do have a clue you will understand that none of this is about sanitizing Nigeria and the idea of what the norm is or whether Naija police collects bribe is of no consequence.

So before you call others clueless maybe you need to learn!!!
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by zomby(m): 11:59pm On Aug 16, 2011
May be it isn't a bad idea for you to now take that 2 wks vacation to learn and understand what is on ground in Nigeria before you start prescribing medications, Doctor!
No disrespect, but I completely despise mugus that think they know how things go down in Nigeria.

How I wish things are done differently and correctly, but the truth is Nigeria is a country that needs unique solutions to all these issues.
At the moment in Nigeria, reporting bribery issue to police isn't one of these unique solutions; even a 2 day old baby knows this fact.
Re: Privatization Scams: "i Rejected Adenuga’s $100,000 Bribe", Says Nasir El-rufai by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 21, 2011
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5739378-146/story.csp

The man who made history for bribery

By Emmanuel Ogala

August 21, 2011 04:36AM

A one-time deputy director with the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), Osuji Jean-Charles, was reportedly sighted on Wednesday at the Minna Hiltop mansion of former military president, Ibrahim Babangida, where he had gone to felicitate with the former head of state on his 70th birthday.

Mr Osuji arrived at the mansion in the company of some friends, visibly troubled. Four days earlier, Mr Osuji admitted collecting bribe sums before a senate ad hoc committee investigating the privatisation and commercialisation activities of the BPE, where he was until May 22, 2001, the deputy director in charge of advisory services. He was the first man in our country's history to appear willingly before a parliamentary committee to confess that he took huge bribes while carrying out his official duties. He is also, perhaps, the first man ever to press for reinstatement to his old job after admitting that he was fired for corruption.

Mr Osuji was dismissed from the Bureau of Public Enterprise in June 2001 on the advice of the National Council on Privatisation, (NCP), for collecting bribe from Mike Adenuga.

"The money had to do with National Oil, now Conoil," Mr Osuji confessed before the senate investigative committee. "The percentage of National Oil being sold then was for ₦7.4 billion. Dr Adenuga came to me and said if he paid N7.4 billion, he was going to give us five percent. He also said that if he bought Unipetrol, which was going then at N3.4 billion, he was going to give us 10 percent."

According to an NCP panel reports obtained by NEXT, the bribe Mr Osuji admitted taking was not his first. The genesis of Mr Osuji's dismissal, according to the reports, lies in an earlier allegation of bribery at the initiation of the bid for National Oil.

In that case, Mr Osuij was accused of soliciting and accepting $5,000 from First Atlantic Limited, to influence his advisory services on the evaluation of their Expression of Interest in National Oil and Chemical Company (NOLCHEM).

A history of bribe taking

"An officer of First Atlantic named Mr Charles Osuji as the person he gave the money," a November 2003 memo authored by Abdulrazaq Oniyangi, the organisation's general counsel at the time, said. "The vice president, chairman of the National Council on Privatisation wanted Mr Osuji fired but because there was no proof and the allegation was unsubstantiated, the DG made a case against terminating his appointment to avoid sacking staff indiscriminately."

Mr Osuji also denied the allegation and no charges were pressed.

In the bid for National Oil, Mr Adenuga offered the highest price for the National Oil and Chemical Company (NOLCHEM) and the BPE under Nasir El-Rufai's leadership recommended his as the winning bid.

Shortly after the privatisation, Mr. Osuji received more money - in bank draft - as gratification from Mr Adenuga. According to Mr Oniyangi's memo, Mr Osuji attempted to present the money to Mr El-Rufai as an appreciation from Mr Adenuga for emerging winner of the National Oil bid.

"Mr Osuji was warned and instructed to return the money to Mr Adenuga," Mr. Oniyangi said in his memo.

Mr Osuji was asked to return the money which he said was held on call in a Zenith Bank account but he could not show proof that the money was returned one month later. He was subsequently sacked.

While admitting taking the bribe, Mr Osuji told the senate he had committed the crime on behalf of his then boss, Mr El-Rufai. He added that he failed to transmit the bribe sums to his boss and that led to his sack.

"I did not give the bribe to El-Rufai because Adenuga was paying small small," he confessed pleading that the senate intervene to return him to the bureau.

Mr El-Rufai, however, quickly denied his claims through a media statement by his media consultant, Muyiwa Adekeye.

"Osuji came to inform El-Rufai that he had been asked by Adenuga to give him N25 million and $100,000 as ‘a gift' in gratitude for selling NOLCHEM to him," Mr Adekeye said. "He rejected the bribe and ensured Osuji was punished for collecting it. That was the proper thing to do, and it was done."

Besides collecting bribes, Mr Osuji has also lied to the National Assembly in the past. In 2003, two years after his dismissal, he petitioned the House of Representatives Public Petition Committee protesting his "unjust dismissal" from the BPE.

In the petition, he claimed he had no connection with Mr Adenuga and that he also had no involvement in the transaction that led to the sale of National Oil.

"My only involvement was that I introduced Mr Adenuga to Mr El-Rufai in the BPE," Mr Osuji told the House of Reps Committee, under oath in 2003.

Weak anti-corruption system

Mr Osuji's admittance of bribery exposes the weakness of the Nigerian anti-corruption system. According to Mr El-Rufai, after Mr Osuji was dismissed, the late Bola Ige, then Attorney General, and Joseph Sanusi, then Governor of the Central Bank, made the case for his prosecution under the ICPC Act but the case was abandoned.

"The file must still be in the Federal Ministry of Justice," he said.

In 2010, Transparency International rated Nigeria 134th on the global corruption index, with a corruption index of 2.4, alongside countries like Zimbabwe and Honduras. Nigeria was rated only a point ahead of Pakistan and two ahead of Haiti.

Since admitting the crime, none of the nation's anti-corruption agencies or the police have made any move to charge him for the crime.

Officials of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission said their hands were tied by the Act establishing the commission.

Folu Olamiti, spokesperson of the commission said that they could only move to prosecute Mr Osuji if someone petitioned him before the chairman of the commission.

"We are waiting for the senate committee to finish their investigation and publish their report," Mr. Olamiti said. "We can't pick someone who is answering questions at the senate."

"Moreover, Our Act says we can only act if someone petitions us," he added.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is also waiting on the report of the senate committee before launching any proceedings.

"There is a senate ad hoc committee working on it now," Femi Baba Femi, EFCC spokesperson said. "We cannot just jump into it just because we heard something someone said."

Similar probes in the senate, however, ended in dead ends.

Official corruption

In addition to Mr Osuiji's conduct at the BPE, there are other several revelations of bribery and corruption. In the bid for National Oil only, both former President Olusegun Obasanjo and his deputy, Atiku Abubakar, also lobbied the then DG in an attempt to influence the bidding process.

Mr El-Rufai admitted that as the bids were being evaluated, Mr Obasanjo informed him that Shell's management had come to him complaining that the BPE had frustrated their bid for NOLCHEM.

"Thabo Mbeki, then South African President, had also called Obasanjo to press Engen's case," Mr. El-Rufai said. "As the bid process unfolded, Vice President Abubakar Atiku also told me that a former president and a notable traditional ruler had asked him to intervene for Mike Adenuga's Consolidated Oil."

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Former South African President Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Liberia’s Largest Newspaper Accuses USA Of Manufacturing Ebola Virus / I Am Ready To Die - Cheif Olusegun A. Obasanjo Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.