Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,074 members, 7,966,993 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 09:18 AM

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? (26514 Views)

Did You Ever Regret The Choice Of Your Course Of Study? / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / Can I Work And Pursue A Degree At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Smartguyboy(m): 2:42pm On Mar 12, 2023
Sirchiboy:

What are you doing now
Surviving

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by pocom16: 3:01pm On Mar 12, 2023
MVLOX:
Yes and No.. Yes because I had the opportunity of getting Degree in a better course that would have given me more exposure and financial stability over the years but greed made me choose something else and that's why I regret it
Wawu .
What course is that
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by OmarBashir: 3:04pm On Mar 12, 2023
People not seeing them as illiterate is the "low self esteem" syndrome am pointing at.

TradingGod:
anybody that go back to school after making it in life have low self esteem

Because education means obtaining knowledge but the reason why these men are going back to school is so that people will not see them as illiterate
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by TradingGod: 3:26pm On Mar 12, 2023
OmarBashir:
People not seeing them as illiterate is the "low self esteem" syndrome am pointing at.

well said

I misunderstood you
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by salem1996: 3:51pm On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Question is, is it books and learning/studying that you like or is it school. Those are two different things
Both
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by DevilSignature: 3:59pm On Mar 12, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

What's he going to do with such courses in Nigeria?
Whoever studies such courses in Nigeria will definitely join the ''school is scam'' gang upon graduation.
Brother it's not what you study in school, it's what you make ur life become after graduation. However linguistics, international Relations and foreign languages are not bad courses, they are professionalism in those courses.
Like I said it's not what u study in school that will make ur life beautiful, but how beautiful you want ur life to become.
I studied medical biochemistry in one of the federal universities in south south Nigeria, but today I am earning the best living in information technology
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Joeev: 4:02pm On Mar 12, 2023
Tohsynetita1:

Yes, it doesn't spoil easily once you store properly.

Was yours up to the 3000 units or so you expected?

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by MVLOX(m): 4:27pm On Mar 12, 2023
pocom16:

Wawu .
What course is that

I left my fine journey in physics education, I had a good teaching job that would have allowed me to continue the direct entry admission I got and opted for the 100 level Geology admission. Omo I still dey regret my life. Assuming I followed physics Education I for don be Dr. now dey work on my Professorship self.... Geology took me back like 5 years plus it is currently more or less useless to me right now while I dey make use of my teaching background to feed my family.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 4:28pm On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

If you can't argue logically, don't engage with me please.

1. I never said ALL my people are SANS. I said about 4. You just twisted a fact I stated expressly. You are not a person of truth.
2. A SAN is a lawyer first. Your argument says lawyers are never do wells (not in those same words though).

I hate immature conversations.

Well the way you structured your statement is confusing. When one eliminates non-gramatical
run-on sentences, here's what you wrote;

At least a few are in executive management teams of their companies, including banks, some are doing very well in practise, at least 4 are in the election teams representing different contestants. All of them are SANS, we have 2 judges from our stable, a number relocated , etc.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 4:29pm On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Well the way you structured your statement is confusing. When one eliminates non-gramatical
run-on sentences, here's what you wrote;

At least a few are in executive management teams of their companies, including banks, some are doing very well in practise, at least 4 are in the election teams representing different contestants. All of them are SANS, we have 2 judges from our stable, a number relocated , etc.

Ok. My bad. Error regretted.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 4:32pm On Mar 12, 2023
Sirchiboy:
I am serious please 🙏

Boss, I don't even know you from Adam, and what do you want the current man manning that post to do? He hasn't given me a reason to replace him. In anycase, inbox me. We may find a common ground. I make no promises though.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Sirchiboy: 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

Boss, I don't even know you from Adam, and what do you want the current man manning that post to do? He hasn't given me a reason to replace him. In anycase, inbox me. We may find a common ground. I make no promises though.
Done.
I feel like crying
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 4:42pm On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

Ok. My bad. Error regretted.

Not at all. That's how a good lawyer would write (if intentional, which it is not grin)

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 4:51pm On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Not at all. That's how a good lawyer would write (if intentional, which it is not grin)

Lawyers don't set out to confuse. The era of filibustering and verbose rigmarole is gone. Even the use of classical Latin is now left for precent forms and the courtroom gymnastics. In anycase, do have yourself a restful weekend.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 4:52pm On Mar 12, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Done.
I feel like crying

Seen. Thanks. We will engage further. Cheers.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Mko123(m): 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2023
Karlifate:

Civil Engineering is a very good discipline.

Apart from the theories you've been taught in school, learn the practical aspects too. These practical aspects includes site experience & design softwares, like AutoCAD, Orion, Prota Structure, Civil 3D etc.

Familiarize yourself with Construction terms: This is where site experience comes in. When you've been to various construction sites, you'll be acquainted to Construction drawings in your day-to-day activities, you'll also be privileged to ask for clarity on whatever issues that bother you, from the experienced Engineer(s) and the builders.

Also, volunteering works. If you know some big Construction companies or Consultancy firms that has proposed or ongoing construction sites, you can visit the site to volunteer as a fresh Graduate or an entry level Engineer.

This step above👆 is like a small drop 💧 of water, that makes up an ocean. 🌊

Volunteering helps you to build your experience in the Construction industry & also help you to expand your network.
Whenever there's a vacancy in any company or Consultancy firm you've volunteered before, you'll easily be given such opportunity unlike an outsider that's just applying for the role, even if the outsider(s) is/are more qualified than you.

Whenever any of your network decide to start up his or her own firm, they can contact you & easily entrust you with some aspects of their affairs, because of the trust that has been established beforehand.

I won't fail to mention this, good grades are important but your experience & skills are more important & most important. 💯

Besides, we have diverse area of specialization under Civil Engineering. Which area do you want to specialize in?

My school offer four areas of specialization namely:

1. Structure
2. Highway
3. Hydraulics and water resources
4. Geotechnic

To cut it short, I don't really know which area is highly marketable and demanding among those four in Nigeria.

A friend of mine told me geotechnic but my course lecturer said it isn't valued here
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2023
hardbody:

Lawyers don't set out to confuse. The era of filibustering and verbose rigmarole is gone. Even the use of classical Latin is now left for precent forms and the courtroom gymnastics. In anycase, do have yourself a restful weekend.

Don't run away yet, I'm enjoying the conversation.
So why are all these terms and conditions that I have to click "agree" to always confusing and intentionally so long that nobody can read them?? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 5:08pm On Mar 12, 2023
salem1996:

Both

Well, what we are discussing is locking yourself out of real life for years to obtain a certificate of dubious value. I don't think that's what you mean
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tohsynetita1: 5:27pm On Mar 12, 2023
Joeev:

Was yours up to the 3000 units or so you expected?
more than that.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by salem1996: 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Well, what we are discussing is locking yourself out of real life for years to obtain a certificate of dubious value. I don't think that's what you mean

Most people feel disappointed at certs because their whole educational life was for the cert. Well, as much as the cert is important, my drive for education and school is to be informed, enlighten and to recreate. I don't have to lock-in myself out of real life to study or be in school, being in it is life itself for me wink
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 5:57pm On Mar 12, 2023
salem1996:

Most people feel disappointed at certs because their whole educational life was for the cert. Well, as much as the cert is important, my drive for education and school is to be informed, enlighten and to recreate. I don't have to lock-in myself out of real life to study or be in school, being in it is life itself for me wink

As long as it doesn't entail you being absent from real life and earning.
Also sometimes school can be a barrier to "informed, enlighten and to recreate", as you can see from quotes below:

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Tomsaintly: 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2023
This is a very complex question. The opportunity cost of not going to school is making use of the tuition fee to start a business, and also making use of the time (4 years, 5 years, etc.,) to build something productive. Regardless, university education rewards us in other ways which include knowledge acquisition, problem-solving skills and social-skills. By the way, everyone is not the same. What works for one person may not work for another person.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 6:15pm On Mar 12, 2023
Mko123:

My school offer four areas of specialization namely:

1. Structure
2. Highway
3. Hydraulics and water resources
4. Geotechnic

To cut it short, I don't really know which area is highly marketable and demanding among those four in Nigeria.

A friend of mine told me geotechnic but my course lecturer said it isn't valued here

Well, you have to make personal research & see the one you're really good at.

Notwithstanding, you need to know something about every of the areas cos you don't know where you might find yourself eventually.

A little knowledge here & there is no waste.

I'll give a brief insight on the areas you listed above:

1. Structural Engineering: Without iota of doubt, there's money here, but it's a very tedious field if you're not resilient & lack perseverance. If you want to succeed here, you need more of practical than theory. Besides, most of the theory you learnt in school might NOT even be used. grin

Your work as a Civil Structural Engineer entails the design & analysis of structures; commercial buildings, residential buildings, steel structures, wooden structures etc. If you're very good, you can work as an Highway Engineer (though it's unethical). cheesy
You can research more about this.

2. Highway Engineer: Here, Transport Engineering can also be combined with it. Highway & Transport Engineers are the boss here, right from the design to implementation stages, unlike Structural Engineering that begins with the Architect (the Architect is the boss there). You also need to be able to do the design & analysis of the proposed project. Be familiar with useful & relevant terms. Be able to calculate costs via BEME (Bill of Engineering Measurements & Evaluation), if not, Quantity Surveyors go cheat you o grin

3. Hydraulics and Water Resources: This involves carrying out series of laboratory tests. In essence, you have to be familiar with laboratory works. If you're NOT good with practical works in school, you might have a hard time fitting here, because you already find your foundation of this field to be uninteresting. It also entails you to know alot of mathematical formulas & physics laws, because they'll come in handy, from time to time. Design & analysis is also important here, you'll be dealing with hydraulic structures, so you have to know their make-up and how they work. A little knowledge here will also help you in other area of specialization, especially Structures & Highway.

4. Geotechnical Engineering: The 90% of work here is predominantly practical & laboratory works. Just like Hydraulics & Water Resources, your knowledge of mathematical formulas & physics laws must be sound, because you'll surely apply them throughout your work here. Even when writing reports, the formulas & mathematical expressions must be stated clearly, so that when a layman pick up your work, s/he can easily understand without racking their brains off their necks. cheesy
You also need to be familiar with different types of soil samples, laboratory equipment.
Also, you need go communication skills.

There are several other areas under Civil Engineering, but due to the geographical location we find ourselves, the scope is limited.

Some countries have, and practise others like; Water & Waste Water Engineering, Seismic Engineering, Tidal & Ocean Engineering etc.

So, the bottom-line here is that you identify the one you're good at, gain practical knowledge, learn design softwares & if you can, get Professional Certifications like: Project Management, Health & Safety Management/Health, Safety & Environment/Occupational Health & Safety... Etc.

You can research more about relevant Professional Certifications.

Good luck.
kiss wink
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by kkins25(m): 6:37pm On Mar 12, 2023
TradingGod:

Change your mindset young man

Anybody can be the Goat in whatever field they find themselves as long as they are dedicated to what they do
😂😂😂 You humans watch too much hollywood.

There have been over 10 billion people that have lived on earth. Those that are recognized for being extraordinary, if we write thier names down, we probably won't use up one 80 leaves book.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by salem1996: 6:46pm On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

As long as it doesn't entail you being absent from real life and earning.
Also sometimes school can be a barrier to "informed, enlighten and to recreate", as you can see from quotes below:

School is anywhere you learn. It can include home too. That's why someone can be in an institution and yet not schooled
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Sukkyy2010: 6:49pm On Mar 12, 2023
oneolajire:

You have this wrong mindset that earning certificates is for seeking job and only earning salary. Where will experience come from if not from getting a job first?

I am a practicing engineering, l need more contracts, I need more professional certificates. I haven't got to the peak of my career and expand.

The sky is just the starting point.

So I should go and learn one handwork or what?

I only reply you cos you only write within your perspective.

yeah! Your second paragraph highlighted my point that states "certificate is only strictly for seeking a job"( in your own case you needed it to to gain eligibility for more contract in your career) that's exactly the point I was making. I'm not trying to condemned your career of detest obtainment of certificate. But the fact is people who are embodiment of wealth creation need no certificate if certificate serve the gateway to success in life people like me wouldn't have amount to something in tangible in life because I've never in anyway make use of certificate in my life.

The compulsion of certificate as a prerequisites to success lies on career choice such as your own Career as an engineer, your career strictly required certificate to open most door of opportunity in your career. I wish you the best certificate and good luck in your dearest career.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2023
salem1996:

School is anywhere you learn. It can include home too. That's why someone can be in an institution and yet not schooled

Right, but what we are discussing here is uni
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by beyondPen(m): 6:55pm On Mar 12, 2023
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic

As a mechanical technician, polytechnic is best fit for the occupation because it will help you concentrate on the work.

Is there placement in any of those workplaces you have been or currently working. My bro needs a scale in his career. He is into vehicle inspecting and a vehicle technician. He also has an ND and level 2 city and guilds certificates.

I will be anticipating a reply from you
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by kkins25(m): 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2023
peoplewww:

Sure. But if you go and use 3 million naira and study sociology instead of using it to find something doing in Nigeria, then you need your head examined.
If you ask me i think we need sociologist now in Nigeria morthan ever.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by hardbody: 7:27pm On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Don't run away yet, I'm enjoying the conversation.
So why are all these terms and conditions that I have to click "agree" to always confusing and intentionally so long that nobody can read them?? cheesy

When I wished you a restful weekend, I meant it.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by achimendy(m): 7:28pm On Mar 12, 2023
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?

I've never had that thought even if I have not gotten a good job. I really thank God for the knowledge I acquired during my time in the university. It's really helping me alot.

Like David oyedepo once said there's no field in life that does not require knowledge. Knowledge is precious and priceless.

Let the knowledge you've acquired over the years help you to build up.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by achimendy(m): 7:29pm On Mar 12, 2023
christejames:
Even though I'm not currently using the certificate I acquired to work (resigned* last year), I'm still grateful I had the certificate...

Going to tertiary institutions should not be solely for the aim of the certificate or the financial benefits the certificate can be used for but the knowledge gained which should be very vital for the society. Schools should refine you to become a better version of yourself smiley

Exactly brother......

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

ABUAD Ranked Best University In Nigeria By Times Higher Education / 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses / Nigerian Lady Speaks 11 South African Languages (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.