Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,955 members, 7,969,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 04:53 PM

Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School (1926 Views)

Okorocha Turning Imo To A Haven For Tourist & A Modern Model City (Pics) / Femi Olukayode Disowns Children From Yemisi, His Ex-Wife / Obey Lagos Traffic-Law - Imo To Its Citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by aloyemeka2: 11:36pm On Aug 17, 2011
[size=14pt]Imo to prosecute parents who withdraw children from school[/size]
News Wednesday, August 17, 2011

BYCHIDI NKWOPARA

OWERRI-Imo State Government, yesterday, vowed to prosecute any parent or guardian who prevents any child of school age from going to school.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/imo-to-prosecute-parents-who-withdraw-children-from-school/

Governor Rochas Okorocha read the riot act when he laid the foundation stone of the College of Advanced Technological Studies in Owerri.

He said: "This government will support the free education programme. It is now a punishable offence for anybody to deny education to any child of school age in the state."

While lamenting that science education had gone down in the country, the governor wondered why most children are running away from science subjects.

Okorocha said: "One of the major decisions this administration has taken about this school is that instead of their paying school fees, government will be paying the students a monthly stipend.".

The governor, who promised to establish similar schools in Orlu and Okigwe senatorial zones, announced automatic scholarship for a student of Government Technical College, Owerri, Master Marvis Onyeazolam, who produced a prototype helicopter.

Earlier, Commissioner for Education, Professor (Mrs.) Victoria Obasi, said the greatest gift a child can receive is education, which government has placed at the door steps of every child in the state.

She said: "There is need to recruit qualified teachers to staff the school. The category of teachers is scarce in the system. There is also the need to make the conditions of service for prospective teachers attractive."
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by PointB: 12:13am On Aug 18, 2011
^^^

Another giant stride by Rochas - a true trailblazer!
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by fairchukz(m): 3:18am On Aug 18, 2011
HAVE U BEEN 2 IMO LATELY?, WAT WE ARE HEARING ALWAYS IS FREE EDUCATION, BUT D MAIN THING HAPPENING IS (1)UNPAID IMSU LECTURERS SALARY
2, NO REGARD 4 D RULE OF LAW
3, FLOGGING OF ROAD SWEEPERS
4, SUSPENSION OF 10000 JOBS CREATED BY D PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION,ONLY 2 GO BACK N SHORT CHANGE D NAMES
5.DISSOLVING ELECTED LG CHAIRMEN N LATER DENYING IT N ACCUSING DEM OF ABANDONING DERE DUTY POST,
I CAN GO ON N ON,
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by MMM2(m): 4:34am On Aug 18, 2011
Rochas doing Good work in Imo,
dats Good.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by chamber2(m): 4:46am On Aug 18, 2011
HAVE U BEEN 2 IMO LATELY?, WAT WE ARE HEARING ALWAYS IS FREE EDUCATION, BUT D MAIN THING HAPPENING IS (1)UNPAID IMSU LECTURERS SALARY
4, SUSPENSION OF 10000 JOBS CREATED BY D PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION,ONLY 2 GO BACK N SHORT CHANGE D NAMES
5.DISSOLVING ELECTED LG CHAIRMEN N LATER DENYING IT N ACCUSING DEM OF ABANDONING DERE DUTY POST,
I CAN GO ON N ON,

Keep quiet. Imsu lecturers' salary has been an issue since the time of Ohakim.So, you expect Rochas to pay them all within threes months in office? If you don't have a point go to Mbari kitchen and have some mkwobi and isiewu
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by ifyalways(f): 5:11am On Aug 18, 2011
^LOL @ Mbari Kitchen.

@Topic,watching. . .btwn,does that mean there won't be kids on the streets hawking during school hours ?
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by chamber2(m): 5:16am On Aug 18, 2011
@Topic,watching. . .btwn,does that mean there won't be kids on the streets hawking during school hours ?

I think that is the goal.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by mopol2(m): 6:26am On Aug 18, 2011
chamber2:

Keep quiet. Imsu lecturers' salary has been an issue since the time of Ohakim.So, you expect Rochas to pay them all within threes months in office? If you don't have a point go to Mbari kitchen and have some mkwobi and isiewu
grin grin grin grin nice one chamber2, fairchukz is already a losser, tongue
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by PA1982(f): 6:57am On Aug 18, 2011
The governor, who promised to establish similar schools in Orlu and Okigwe senatorial zones, announced automatic scholarship for a student of Government Technical College, Owerri, Master Marvis Onyeazolam, who produced a prototype helicopter.

Congratulations, Master Marvis Onyeazolam!
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by rareman(m): 7:05am On Aug 18, 2011
permit me to be somewhat pessimistic hear, not I want d man to fail, bt I want us to be careful with all this trailbraising thing, my hunch tells me there's no rooted foundation for his works, I mean no system in place what happens when he's no longer their, all we hear is okoroocha's orders,
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by chiozor: 8:33am On Aug 18, 2011
Okorocha doing the more we look the less we see sad
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by atasteve: 9:43am On Aug 18, 2011
Building peoples mentality through the power of Education is better than all the other infrastructure that may be built.

Well done the pacesetter, Gov. Okorocha.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by kizydafizy(m): 9:59am On Aug 18, 2011
fairchukz:

I CAN GO ON N ON,

All lies my man, all lies!
Those 10,000 jobs were not given on merit. I know of one benefactor who came all the way from PortHarcourt and paid Sixty Thousand Naira to secure one of the slots. Due process was completely abandoned, rather what we witnessed throughout the procedure was blatant extortion of poor unemployed youths.

As for the dissolved "elected" LG chairmen. . .yeah right, we all know how they were forced on the people. A court injunction was flaunted in the wake of their "election" into offices.

If you really want to kill a rat, remove your suit and unknot your tie, cos it's not a gentleman's ordeal @all!at, remove your suit and unknot your tie, cos it's not a gentleman's ordeal @all!
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by rolchi(m): 11:49am On Aug 18, 2011
rareman:

permit me to be somewhat pessimistic hear, not I want d man to fail, bt I want us to be careful with all this trailbraising thing, my hunch tells me there's no rooted foundation for his works, I mean no system in place what happens when he's no longer their, all we hear is okoroocha's orders,

I agree with you Sir!
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by obailala(m): 11:55am On Aug 18, 2011
Good work so far but i foresee a dead end soon because Rochas has not explained to us how he intends to sustain all these his 'Father Christmas' policies
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by ifyalways(f): 12:10pm On Aug 18, 2011
chamber2:

I think that is the goal.
Then they've got their hands full.
How do they curb and contain child trafficking and slavery cos I know most of the kids hawking cooked akpu and okpa at Eke onuwa were bought off from their parents at Ohaji/Egbema et all,are they ready to fight the madams and ogas?
What abt the poor family who somehow manage to hold themselves together cos the kids hawk/sell in a stal/push wheel barrow?
What happens to Parents/guardians who default?

Abuja, If my memory is in order used to have a similar law,dunno what came of it 6 months down the line  undecided
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:59pm On Aug 18, 2011
AT LEASE SOME BRILLIANT CHILDREN WITHOUT SUPPORT CAN GO BACK  TO SCHOOL grin grin grin
PRAY NORTH WILL DO SO,TO ENABLE  ARMAJIRIS HAS ONE REASON THING IN THEIR BOMBING BRAINS cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by guente02(m): 1:57pm On Aug 18, 2011
How i wish my Gov is doing likewise. Dope move Rochas
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by ronkebp(f): 2:17pm On Aug 18, 2011
Good step, infact, i have to follow this up, to see the result of the prosecution. Parents are supposed to educate their children by all means, not the lazy-flimsy excuse that 'there is no money',
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by PointB: 2:21pm On Aug 18, 2011
ifyalways:

Then they've got their hands full.
How do they curb and contain child trafficking and slavery cos I know most of the kids hawking cooked akpu and okpa at Eke onuwa were bought off from their parents at Ohaji/Egbema et all,are they ready to fight the madams and ogas?
What abt the poor family who somehow manage to hold themselves together cos the kids hawk/sell in a stal/push wheel barrow?
What happens to Parents/guardians who default?

Abuja, If my memory is in order used to have a similar law,dunno what came of it 6 months down the line  undecided

You have vital points there Ify,
It's one thing to make this policy (orders) and it's yet another thing to implement and sustain. But recall, Rochas said that the bulk of his cabinet are volunteers (committees). Let's hope these committees are able to help him set-up the structure to sustain the momentum. Sometimes I am not quick to write-off some of this initiative because I am not privy to the deliberations that set the up.
@bolded,
What it takes is a few 'scapegoats' and a lot of people will fall in line. You cannot get 100% success rate, but over 70% should be fair enough. Imo state being one of the leading light in terms of embracing education, will actually welcome this move wholeheartedly and ensure it success. It's actually an object of embarrassment and disgrace for parents not to send their children/wards to school in Imo state, at least from what I have heard.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by kodewrita(m): 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2011
So homeschooling is not allowed
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by PointB: 3:39pm On Aug 18, 2011
^^^
Explain homeschooling in the context of formal education.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
Gud works!! But let's hope it wil b implemented n sustained. I wish my state governor wud do more.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by kodewrita(m): 9:05am On Aug 19, 2011
PointB:

^^^
Explain homeschooling in the context of formal education.

Providing better teaching and education under your own roof and bringing the child to common entrance exams to beat and impress his less-trained colleagues.

Done everywhere in the world. Illegal in Imo state, Nigeria.

If i choose to get my kid a private tutor, your governor says that would be a crime.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by PointB: 12:22pm On Aug 19, 2011
kodewrita:

Providing better teaching and education under your own roof and bringing the child to common entrance exams to beat and impress his less-trained colleagues.

Done everywhere in the world. Illegal in Imo state, Nigeria.

If i choose to get my kid a private tutor, your governor says that would be a crime.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice.

I believe private tutoring is a compliment to the educational system in Nigeria. It is not a substitute. But that said, I dont know if will be illegal in Imo state under the new policy. But why would you choose to isolate your child when you know that child education is not just book knowledge?
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by kodewrita(m): 2:19pm On Aug 19, 2011
**rolls up sleeves**

let's see:
[list]
[li]Religious reasons[/li]
[li]I can expose him/her more than a class would. His/her age mates learn about pyramids from a book, I take him/her there.[/li]
[li]I am not restricted by curriculum and can teach him/her stuff his/her brain can handle even if the state doesnt expect him/her to be that smart yet.[/li]
[li]Lower costs.[/li]
[li]More moral input[/li]
[/list]

I can always send the dude/chick to a military boarding school /Kings college to meet up with people and essentially make connections.
Re: Imo To Prosecute Parents Who Withdraw Children From School by PointB: 2:31pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^^
Good point, provided you can show that your child/ward is being educated. But dont forget the very critical thing - Certificates! If your child does not have approved certificate to proof all that you have thought him privately are mastered, then you might have to employee him yourself or turn him into employer. Exotic education is good, but dont underestimate the value of 'formal' education.

(1) (Reply)

Kano: “we Have Lost 38 Igbos In 2 Months” – Ohaneze / Femi Falana Gives EFCC 13 Different Grounds To Prosecute Stella Oduah / SEE Pastor Who Worships And Preaches With The Use Of Deadly Snakes[photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.