Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,012 members, 7,963,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 09:20 AM

Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted (281 Views)

I Was Misquoted For Eight Years – Femi Adesina / Shettima: I Was Misquoted On Abacha’s "Hospitality" / 14 Years Imprisonment For Not Having NIN - Pantami Says He Was Misquoted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by BethiMcCauley: 10:35am On Oct 18, 2022
Thav TV

Bishop Stephen Adegbite, the Lagos Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), on Tuesday the 18th of October 2022, in a bid to correct the damages made by his earlier statement said he was “quoted out of context” by a section of the media claiming that his statement was that of an endorsement of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

Adegbite who was quoted to have said, “God will punish us if we don’t support Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” had incurred the wrath of many church leaders within and outside the apex Christian body as the body as a collective had taken a stance to not support any political party that floats same-faith presidential ticket.

According to Vanguard reports, the Bishop said mischief makers misrepresented his remarks during the presentation of the stewardship report of 12 years sojourn in the Senate presented by the Senator representing Lagos Central Senatorial District in the Upper Legislative Chamber, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, OON.
However, in a statement by Very Rev. Oladapo Daramola, his Special Adviser on Media and Public Relations, the Bishop explained further, saying that he is quite mindful of his position of trust as the leader of Christians in the Lagos state and would never speak loosely or anything close to invoking God’s curse on those who do not vote for Tinubu.
He said, “Dearly beloved, it’s quite possible that you have read a story published by a national daily where the Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Lagos State, Rt. Rev. Dr. S.T.V Adegbite was quoted as saying ‘God will punish us if we don’t support Tinubu – Lagos CAN.’
“I can reliably inform you that this headline is not only misleading but totally out of context. This is not damage control but setting the records straight.
“Clearly, the aforementioned was said in his personal capacity and premised on his wonderful relationship with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
“He was not speaking on behalf of Christians or as the Chairman of CAN in Lagos.
“The Bishop is quite mindful of his position of trust as the leader of Christians in the State and would never speak loosely or anything close to that.
“The writer of the original story has promised to tell the story as it was gathered and this will be shared as soon as it is done.
“But please accept this as the fact and kindly ignore whatever was published in the media or what has been shared so far.”

https://thavmedia.com/lagos-can-chairman-retracts-statement-says-he-was-misquoted-he-did-not-endorse-apc-presidential-candidate/
Re: Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by press9jatv: 10:40am On Oct 18, 2022
BethiMcCauley:
Thav TV

Bishop Stephen Adegbite, the Lagos Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), on Tuesday the 18th of October 2022, in a bid to correct the damages made by his earlier statement said he was “quoted out of context” by a section of the media claiming that his statement was that of an endorsement of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

Adegbite who was quoted to have said, “God will punish us if we don’t support Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” had incurred the wrath of many church leaders within and outside the apex Christian body as the body as a collective had taken a stance to not support any political party that floats same-faith presidential ticket.

According to Vanguard reports, the Bishop said mischief makers misrepresented his remarks during the presentation of the stewardship report of 12 years sojourn in the Senate presented by the Senator representing Lagos Central Senatorial District in the Upper Legislative Chamber, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, OON.
However, in a statement by Very Rev. Oladapo Daramola, his Special Adviser on Media and Public Relations, the Bishop explained further, saying that he is quite mindful of his position of trust as the leader of Christians in the Lagos state and would never speak loosely or anything close to invoking God’s curse on those who do not vote for Tinubu.
He said, “Dearly beloved, it’s quite possible that you have read a story published by a national daily where the Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Lagos State, Rt. Rev. Dr. S.T.V Adegbite was quoted as saying ‘God will punish us if we don’t support Tinubu – Lagos CAN.’
“I can reliably inform you that this headline is not only misleading but totally out of context. This is not damage control but setting the records straight.
“Clearly, the aforementioned was said in his personal capacity and premised on his wonderful relationship with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
“He was not speaking on behalf of Christians or as the Chairman of CAN in Lagos.
“The Bishop is quite mindful of his position of trust as the leader of Christians in the State and would never speak loosely or anything close to that.
“The writer of the original story has promised to tell the story as it was gathered and this will be shared as soon as it is done.
“But please accept this as the fact and kindly ignore whatever was published in the media or what has been shared so far.”

https://thavmedia.com/lagos-can-chairman-retracts-statement-says-he-was-misquoted-he-did-not-endorse-apc-presidential-candidate/
so you have finally gotten your sense back.
Re: Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by PlayerMeji: 10:42am On Oct 18, 2022
I am a Christian but I must confess that CAN will be surprised with what hit them at the end of the day with this their divisive stand!
Re: Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by Macphenson: 10:50am On Oct 18, 2022
I know it
Re: Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 18, 2022
This is why they said church and politics should not mix.
Re: Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by Idiotseverywher: 12:00pm On Oct 18, 2022
PlayerMeji:
I am a Christian but I must confess that CAN will be surprised with what hit them at the end of the day with this their divisive stand!
. Which Christian church are you? I am sure you are not one of them, your mindset a very dirty if you think the Christian community especially the clergy will support what is happening in Nigeria , the Muslims have been mandating their members to be voting only Muslims in elections since first republic while the Christians especially their clergy have been sitting on the fence, now because they are condemning same Muslim Muslim ticket you people are now complaining, do Muslims own Nigeria or do they have more authority, power or even more population in Nigeria, what you want is for them to continue to keep quiet so that you people will continue to destroy the Christian community in the country, it will not happen again, the sleeping giants have woken up
Re: Lagos CAN Chairman Retracts Statement, Says He Was Misquoted by Mrkindness: 1:10pm On Oct 18, 2022
PlayerMeji:
Uncle suluu or Uncle mogaji Christian wannabe Afonja grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Who Will Console Families Of Policemen Killed During Endsars Protest? / What Will Happen When President Buhari Comes To Kano / Governor Inuwa's Commissioner Of Information, Leaves APC For PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.