Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,375 members, 7,881,347 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:21 PM

Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement (28799 Views)

Prices Of Dangote, BUA, Lafarge, Other Cement After Meeting With FG / New Naira: We Didn’t Anticipate Challenges, CBN Admits / Lafarge Africa Reports N35bn Loss In Full Year 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Focusmind: 5:32pm On Oct 18, 2022
US and hypocrisy. If their own company was found guilty by another country and levy this hefty sum, they will come after that country. US companies around the world have been paying ransom to some non State actors to protect their investments in the host country without being charged by another country. Well, this is West affair. It is left to Emmanuel Macron of France to protect companies registered in his domain. A US president would never allow any country impose that kind of fine on any US entity.
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by BeardedMeat(m): 5:35pm On Oct 18, 2022
Afamed:
Like Lafarge
Like GumI
Like the Pandora fraud

All have one thing in commom
Tinubu Bot.

1 Like

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by seunjungle1(m): 5:39pm On Oct 18, 2022
You think say you fit wine my nipple, abi?
Dey there
CIIGA:
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Discountsempai: 5:43pm On Oct 18, 2022
Focusmind:
US and hypocrisy. If their own company was found guilty by another country and levy this hefty sum, they will come after that country. US companies around the world have been paying ransom to some non State actors to protect their investments in the host country without being charged by another country. Well, this is West affair. It is left to Emmanuel Macron of France to protect companies registered in his domain. A US president would never allow any country impose that kind of fine on any US entity.

Not just US...every company pays money to whichever thug is operating...if the said company is operating in a violent region.

And even in 'stable' countries, you have criminal gangs like the Yakuza, the Mafia and so on that do the same thing.
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by cooooooks(m): 5:49pm On Oct 18, 2022
No difference.

What goes on is nothing short of extortion and economic terrorism.
Asour:

This is just 'matching ground' money.

Just that a Big company shouldn't be heard doing this.
What actually (other than scale) is the difference between this and the Oshodi touts that extort small traders?

2 Likes

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by HenryWilliams(m): 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2022
Can someone explain to me cos I don't understand..
Lafarge is a french company now owned by A swiss conglomerate.. they have factories in Syria that was still producing during the war in 2013-14.
Obviously they had to pay terrorists (freedom fighters) to safeguard their facilities and employees and also keep the factory running.. all this I can understand.
What I don't understand is what is the US concern in all this, that a US court had to try them and find them guilty?
If they broke any law, shouldn't it be the Swiss, French or even the Syrians themselves that ought to do so..why the Americans?
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Eriokanmi: 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2022
Millimann:
El Rufai is still walking free after paying Boko Haram and admitting that he did it.
This is Nigeria. All the nonsense would stop from next year on.
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Konjiboii: 6:07pm On Oct 18, 2022
What's the difference between this and FG and Tompolo
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by NwaIgboBoy(m): 6:09pm On Oct 18, 2022
Afamed:

Your Obi is a known fraud

Ofcourse, and tell me who is not fraud. Tinubu? Atiku?or Kwankwaso? or even you yourself?

You remind me of our dead he goat named Afamed, although that goat was more responsible than you.

1 Like

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by ThierryJay: 6:16pm On Oct 18, 2022
Discountsempai:

Not just US...every company pays money to whichever thug is operating...if the said company is operating in a violent region.

And even in 'stable' countries, you have criminal gangs like the Yakuza, the Mafia and so on that do the same thing.

You are right. But the rule is not to be caught doing that. Lafarge's own was obvious as it was still operating in a volatile jurisdiction when other multinationals had pulled out. So naturally this would attract attention.

2 Likes

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by ThierryJay: 6:24pm On Oct 18, 2022
HenryWilliams:
Can someone explain to me cos I don't understand..
Lafarge is a french company now owned by A swiss conglomerate.. they have factories in Syria that was still producing during the war in 2013-14.
Obviously they had to pay terrorists (freedom fighters) to safeguard their facilities and employees and also keep the factory running.. all this I can understand.
What I don't understand is what is the US concern in all this, that a US court had to try them and find them guilty?
If they broke any law, shouldn't it be the Swiss, French or even the Syrians themselves that ought to do so..why the Americans?

Payments to terrorists (not ransom) under any guise is a crime under international law.

That ISIS is the recipient makes it worse. It makes Lafarge look like an enabler of ISIS' activities especially when they had the option of pulling out of Syria like other companies did.

US is involved because this is an international crime matter that involves a US registered company and since it's part of a larger conglomerate, the entire Lafarge-Holcim group will come under scrutiny. Lafarge US is basically answering for the crimes of a defunct affiliate and of course they'd want to confirm whether its US or European executives had any involvement in the matter.

1 Like

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 18, 2022
Snapchat:

Ko ni dafun iran e. Olori pelebe
Ezi bida
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by jojothaiv(m): 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2022
This is not journalistic poetry, this is nothing but an exposee, with inflation still going on, terrorism LGBT shams too, there are more to be uncover...

On a David's note...
We had our own cornflakes for terrorism, never knew that some French would want to drag that title with us 'cement for terrorism'
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Snapchat: 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2022
Hizzy:

Ezi bida

Your papa na pig
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Kingspin(m): 6:51pm On Oct 18, 2022
No one catches the criminals sponsoring terrorism in Nigeria
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Truthday: 7:10pm On Oct 18, 2022
Brendaniel:
The same way Nasco is also involved in terrorism, the same Lafarge is also in Nigeria....

Islam and Terrorism

Son of a bastards. What does lafarge a french company has to do with islam. Oloriburuku
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by HolyMan12: 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2022
smile4kenn:
Who come be Lafarge. Everyone is crazy

EGYPTIAN WORDS OF IGBO ORIGIN

https://gist.am/q/egyptian-words-of-igbo-origin

Long live the Ndi-Jews grin
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Bantu10: 8:13pm On Oct 18, 2022
Afamed:
Like Lafarge
Like GumI
Like the Pandora fraud

All have one thing in commom

Lol, even zombie tht praised buhari the terrorist is here making jest of himself grin

1 Like

Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by luizpippo(m): 8:14pm On Oct 18, 2022
Cornflakes for jihad, Nasco version

Cement for jihad, Lafarge version
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by luizpippo(m): 8:20pm On Oct 18, 2022
Truthday:

Son of a bastards. What does lafarge a french company has to do with islam. Oloriburuku

I thought ISWAP means ISIS state something something or is it now Hindu or Budha?
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Plm11: 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2022
Really
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Countersam(m): 9:19pm On Oct 18, 2022
Millimann:
El Rufai is still walking free after paying Boko Haram and admitting that he did it.

El Rufai: Of course I bleeped up, who never Bleep up hands in the air......

Me: No hands undecided
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:16pm On Oct 18, 2022
Millimann:
Your people have been paying ipob, ESN and UGM for years
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by chosenwan1(m): 11:17pm On Oct 18, 2022
providing material support or sponsoring Terrorism .
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by hotseat: 12:11am On Oct 19, 2022
Lafarge may just be a scapegoat after all!

There are legions out there financing terrorists organizations across the globe!

You still wonder why Boko Haram, ISWAP etc keeps rearing up their ugly heads in Nigeria?

They can be fished out in Nigeria too but the government of the day is in cahoot with them!
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Caseless: 2:33am On Oct 19, 2022
How's America benefitting from the judgment? Can they just put everyone to trial? Does Lafarge operate in the USA?
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Segzy19: 6:23am On Oct 19, 2022
Your understanding is low... Surely, you don't understand what the case is about... Lafarge is in Nigeria, and so what?

Now let me educate you. Lafarge has operation in Syria. So Lafarge paid the ISIS terrorists in order to keep the terrorists from destroying Lafarge plant in Syria... This payment further boosted the financial capacity of ISIS which then strengthened them to commit more atrocities i.e. killing and kidnapping of western citizens...

So Lafarge erred by funding terrorists no matter the excuse or reason was... That is why DOJ investigated Lafarge SA... Note that Lafarge SA is different from Lafarge Africa (Lafarge Nigeria)... Hope you have learnt now...

Starships4u:
And they are here in Nigeria too....

After reading through, I don't really understand.
Buh which ever way, association with terrorists and terrorism is BAD!
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Segzy19: 6:24am On Oct 19, 2022
This has nothing to do with Hundeyin... It's ignorant and lazy people like you that feeds from David Hundeyin....
wman:
When David Hundeyin wrote on something similar to this, they called him an alarmist.

Unfortunately, they are a rich and powerful company, so they won't feel the full prosecution effect unlike the poor companies.
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Segzy19: 6:26am On Oct 19, 2022
Dem don come... Ignorance at its peak...

Read the story to get full understanding...
Don't just rush to comment

Brendaniel:
The same way Nasco is also involved in terrorism, the same Lafarge is also in Nigeria....

Islam and Terrorism
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by wman(m): 8:26am On Oct 19, 2022
Segzy19:
This has nothing to do with Hundeyin... It's ignorant and lazy people like you that feeds from David Hundeyin....

You are the lazy and ignorant one who can't understand analogies. Always quick to type but slow to comprehend.

I said "when he wrote something similar to this."
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Starships4u(m): 12:21pm On Oct 19, 2022
Segzy19:
Your understanding is low... Surely, you don't understand what the case is about... Lafarge is in Nigeria, and so what?

Now let me educate you. Lafarge has operation in Syria. So Lafarge paid the ISIS terrorists in order to keep the terrorists from destroying Lafarge plant in Syria... This payment further boosted the financial capacity of ISIS which then strengthened them to commit more atrocities i.e. killing and kidnapping of western citizens...

So Lafarge erred by funding terrorists no matter the excuse or reason was... That is why DOJ investigated Lafarge SA... Note that Lafarge SA is different from Lafarge Africa (Lafarge Nigeria)... Hope you have learnt now...

Yhu are very stupid with yhur first statements,
So yhu believe yhu are more knowledgeable than myself?
Just imagine yhur mentality.
Get off my mention please.
Re: Lafarge Admits Paying Terrorist Groups In Syria, Enters $778m Plea Agreement by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 19, 2022
Snapchat:

Your papa na pig
Akpa amu gba wa gi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote And Bill Gates Hold Joint Meeting With Gov Gaidam, Others In Yobe. Pics / Naira Falls Across Markets As CBN Adjust Clearing Rate To N197 / I Feel Embarrassed When Guys Bargain For Foodstuff In The Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.