Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,865 members, 7,876,296 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:15 PM

ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? (20227 Views)

Strike: FG Breaks ASUU’s Rank, To Release Withheld Salaries Of Medical Lecturers / Good News As ASUU Members Are Receiving Alerts Of Their Withheld Salaries. / No Resumption Until FG Pays Withheld Salaries – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by JJuanMiguel: 3:50pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

Nope, either

1,Government increases fees

2.Government finds more money...by taxes, removing subsidies on petrol...

3.Or we accept the status quo ante, and accept our bad universites...as they are.

Seems you want option 3. Well, you are rich, because you can afford to send your kids to the better private schools or abroad...while government schools get by on poor funding...

ASUU need to be punished by their selfish, needless action first.
9 months in 2020
8 months in 2022
What exactly is their aim trying to use a problem to solve a problem?

The combination of number 1 and 2 is the best.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 25, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

ASUU need to be punished by their selfish, needless action first.
9 months in 2020
8 months in 2022
What exactly is their aim trying to use a problem to solve a problem?

The combination of number 1 and 2 is the best.

So government raises fees, and taxes...good.(That is my idea too).

But most Nigerians, ASUU, students don't want that. ASUU may lean towards raised fees...but they also symphatise with students who come from poor homes, and may not be able to pay.

But either way, if we want good universites...fees may have to go up. Assistance can be provided for students who come from families earning less than 50000 a month.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Richardidegah7: 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2022
They wants salary for sitting at home for Eight months, wasting the innocent students time? If not because they were pushed to the wall by the industrial court, they wouldn't have called off the strike. They don't deserve any pay for doing nothing...
Least they repeat this nonsense in no distance time.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by blackboy(m): 4:13pm On Oct 25, 2022
If Buhari has been paid his full salaries and allowances since 2015 to date as President and Minister of Petroleum. Even after telling Nigerians that they will collect cut salaries and after the mess he and his gang has put this country in. For fighting for a better University system the lecturers deserve their salaries allowanaces and5 all and more of the demands they made during the strike. God bless ASUU!!
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by slivertongue: 4:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
Londonderry:

When you fail to keep an agreement and the opponent down tools because of that, you don't refuse to pay because if there were no breach on your part the strike wouldn't have happened.

Well they have a case but keeping students at home knowing full well that govt won't give in to their demands is heartless. It's false that they are fighting for the students, they care more about salaries.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by TenQ: 4:29pm On Oct 25, 2022
Oblivion34:
In my defense, ASUU has always been unreasonable in negotiations with the federal government.

ASUU were insisting on suffering themselves and the poor students by not calling off the strike.

They also claimed to be ok with the "No work, No Pay" policy. [color=#990000][/color]

Aside from that, we'll always see them insult the government at any given chance; either on social media or live TV.

They also said they were never going to beg the government because they were clearly the boss of them and not the other way around.

Why should they be paid when they were willing to stress the strike up until the next year unless they get what they want?

Why should they paid when they told students to sacrifice two years of their time for them?

Why can't they also sacrifice their salaries for the cause?

It's important to note that ASUU was willing to stress the strike for as long as they want because they were 100% sure of their paycheck before or after the strike has been called off. [color=#990000]

If they get paid, who will compensate the students?

I am sure the students have already been compensated with exam timetables. And lecturers are preparing to come and stamp their foot on the ground in lecture theaters to brag about how they'll get paid whether they come to class or not.

I want to implore the federal government to adhere strictly to the "No work, No pay" policy.

This is the only way we can use to break ASUU's wing and allow our students to graduate at the appropriate time.

How long will the government keep begging ASUU? Year after year, ASUU must declare a strike!

In my opinion, the salary issue should also be tabled at the court of law. I will love to see them win that case in court

The "No work, No Pay" policy must stand in other to curb yearly strikes.
Let's be fair in this case.
1. The FG is the Employer of ASUU members
2. There was an existing agreement SIGNED between ASUU and the FG
3. The FG decided to back out of the agreement by not listening to ASUU
4. Because of this ASUU went on strike.
5. The FG decided to weaponise hunger to FORCE ASUU to abandon their claims.
6. ASUU insisted on talk with the FG
7. FG stopped salaries of ASUU members.

Now, who is at Fault?

If the FG had called ASUU for a renegotiation, there would not be a need for strikes in the first place.

If it was purely a legal matter between two people where an agreement was signed and a party decided to break the agreement, who would be at fault in the court of law?
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by khadaffi(m): 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2022
Curious345:
Yes ..

Absolutely yes they do..

If I was a lecturer ,I will not return to teach until I am paid

Then you have fired yourself. Do you know what it means for work to start and you refuse to work? Even those soldiers you guys insult at any given opportunity sometimes fight without being paid. You can do your findings on that. If they refuse to obey orders because they are not paid they know the consequences.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Barims(m): 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2022
[quote author=Curious345 post=117861744]Yes ..
Absolutely yes they do..
If I was a lecturer ,I will not return to teach until I am paid [/quote
GUY U ARE SO STUPID
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by lawrenzooo: 4:52pm On Oct 25, 2022
Kasssandra:

The issue is, when you have spent extra years in school, not because of academic issues, but because ASUU went on strike a year before you wrote Jamb for 11 months....and then continued in your 200 level...you don't want to hear about 'they are doing it for better funding'

Not when your parents are spending money...a lot of it, to keep you in school. And when even when you are still at home...and your parents are spending money to keep you fed.....

At some point, the reasons make no sense, and one becomes an ASUU critic.

Me I know the reasons, and I know the solution. And the solution...raised fees...is not acceptable

At the end, people want to get university finished quickly.

If parents want their kids to graduate on time they know what to do (send your child to a private school or better still send them over seas). Its either ASUU allow government raise the fees or back down on their demands. If we want quality education we should be ready to pay for it or accept whatever ASUU and FG throw at us.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Barims(m): 4:53pm On Oct 25, 2022
oluwaseyi0:
Of cause, the government caused the strike

The only thing Nigeria government understand is strike, dialoguing with Buhari while you are still going to work is a waste of time

U guys are just saying rubbish, how much are the student getting paid??
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2022
lawrenzooo:

If parents want their kids to graduate on time they know what to do (send your child to a private school or better still send them over seas). Its either ASUU allow government raise the fees or back down on their demands. If we want quality education we should be ready to pay for it or accept whatever ASUU and FG throw at us.

Indeed, but the sad thing is most Nigerians can't afford raised fees.

At the end, it isn't an easy discussion. No easy answers.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by harmony75: 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2022
ASUU lost see how many of their colleagues that died � and Nigeria students lost big time also. They should never ever be paid the striking periods so not to go on striking and believe they will be paid no matter what.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by oluwaseyi0: 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2022
Barims:

U guys are just saying rubbish, how much are the student getting paid??

The students are not employed
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by eneyoduke(m): 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2022
Internet but no connection
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by gotnel: 6:19pm On Oct 25, 2022
Share it 50/50. Give them one part and government should keep the other part.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Perfectbeing(m): 6:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
abobote:
Yes they deserve their salary.
The strike caused by the Federal government inability to keep to the agreement. Its not the fault of the lecturers
What agreement? The one late Yar Adua made with them?

If you read that agreement, you'd know that Yar Adua is the biggest scammer in Nigeria and that our lecturers aren't as smart as we think they are for actually believing any Government can fulfill that agreement.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by rizingsun(m): 6:26pm On Oct 25, 2022
I believe that lecturers should be paid their past salaries because they will still teach the students all that they were supposed to be taught.
If you deny them their salaries, should the student be graduated to the next level/class without teaching and examination?
If this holds, third year students will then graduate and pass out. collect their their certificates and proceed to NYSC scheme.
So if the lecturers will teach the omitted schemes and examine the students as they should, then they deserve to be paid.
This is a postponed job that must be done before going forward.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Perfectbeing(m): 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2022
TemmyT002:
We shouldn't be asking this question.
The senators and representatives enjoy a lot of frivolous money and they have never been owed for a day.
Meanwhile, their usefulness is nothing. They are not really needed.
Priority should be on the lecturers who are ten times more useful.
The monkeys danced and rejoiced when they heard the man that always pursue them from the farm was dead.
But the following year, there wasn't any fruit.. It was then they realized the man was a farmer.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by EmmyBiggy(m): 6:28pm On Oct 25, 2022
They should be paid after all NNPC staff have been receiving salaries without refining a single drop of oil for years
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by FrauleinBlossom(f): 6:57pm On Oct 25, 2022
Of course they do, unless ours is useless kind of democracy. Industrial actions are part of the game, they make democracy what it is.

Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Fuckyoumod: 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2022
TemmyT002:

This is shallow thinking, sir. Very shallow.
Nigeria is a country working at 30% capacity. Nothing is working. A serious country will prioritize education because politicians.
Our politicians are almost useless. They only take actions when they are personally affected.
They get huge salaries and big amounts of money . They even get nonsense called hardship money. They get huge amount of money for snacks and pocket money.
Meanwhile, Nigeria needs that money.
Ask yourself, if the government gives lecturers all they are asking for, why would they strike?
so taking education seriously is all about paying lecturers huge salaries like that of politician? Where does education start from? Is university the only level of education in Nigeria?

Don't be deceived my son, ASUU only cares about her pocket and not the education.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by sultan003(m): 7:17pm On Oct 25, 2022
Oblivion34:
The ASUU President, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke had in a recent interview noted that the lecturers had called off their action and returned to work but were challenged by the nonpayment of their eight months salaries which had posed a huge challenge for the lecturers to meet their daily needs and be able to discharge their responsibilities to the returning university students.

Mr. Odiir said the returning lecturers might not give their best because of the obvious challenge of lack of funds, “and that means that the universities would be reopened but teaching and learning might not take place because the lecturers are not motivated.

“So we are appealing to the Federal Government to fulfill its part of the bargain to effect the payment of the salaries of the returning lecturers to enable them fully resume work.

“There is no doubt that the lecturers would obey the court ruling and resume classes but they would certainly not be able to engage in lecturing if they don’t start getting their eight months salaries.

“That is why the Federal Government should pay them without further delay in the spirit of the agreement brokered by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

“We also appeal to the Speaker to do a follow up to the good work he initiated to have the lecturers call off the action by impressing on all the relevant authorities to have the salaries paid so that our public universities can roar back to life.

Well, you are not well informed that is all i can say to you...

But by 23/24 session when they increase school fees to amounts not less than 1M, maybe by then you will get informed...

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by gaskiyamagana: 8:23pm On Oct 25, 2022
Oblivion34:
In my defense, ASUU has always been unreasonable in negotiations with the federal government.

ASUU were insisting on suffering themselves and the poor students by not calling off the strike.

They also claimed to be ok with the "No work, No Pay" policy. [color=#990000][/color]

Aside from that, we'll always see them insult the government at any given chance; either on social media or live TV.

They also said they were never going to beg the government because they were clearly the boss of them and not the other way around.

Why should they be paid when they were willing to stress the strike up until the next year unless they get what they want?

Why should they paid when they told students to sacrifice two years of their time for them?

It's important to note that ASUU was willing to stress the strike for as long as they want because they were 100% sure of their paycheck before or after the strike has been called off. [color=#990000]

I am sure the students have already been compensated with exam timetables. And lecturers are preparing to come and stamp their foot on the ground in lecture theaters to brag about how they'll get paid whether they come to class or not.

I want to implore the federal government to adhere strictly to the "No work, No pay" policy.

This is the only way we can use to break ASUU's wing and allow our students to graduate at the appropriate time.

How long will the government keep begging ASUU? Year after year, ASUU must declare a strike!

In my opinion, the salary issue should also be tabled at the court of law. I will love to see them win that case in court

Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Londonderry: 8:53pm On Oct 25, 2022
slivertongue:

Well they have a case but keeping students at home knowing full well that govt won't give in to their demands is heartless. It's false that they are fighting for the students, they care more about salaries.
You should not enter an agreement you don't intend to keep, doing so is fraudulent. If they have been dissatisfied with the agreement, they should have called for renegotiation not renege. They are responsible for the suffering inflicted on the students that is why NANS is not blaming ASUU but the Fed Govt who started the fight.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Melagros(m): 10:27pm On Oct 25, 2022
Oblivion34:

You said nothing but the truth
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Melagros(m): 10:28pm On Oct 25, 2022
fredoooooo:
Yes, they already get it from the opposition party that pushed them into it.
grin grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Melagros(m): 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2022
Uyi168:
since students are getting absolutely nothing, I whole heartedly support the no work no pay.

For sure
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by slivertongue: 10:46pm On Oct 25, 2022
Londonderry:

You should not enter an agreement you don't intend to keep, doing so is fraudulent. If they have been dissatisfied with the agreement, they should have called for renegotiation not renege. They are responsible for the suffering inflicted on the students that is why NANS is not blaming ASUU but the Fed Govt who started the fight.

Oh well it's not the government or ASUU that has lost, the students are the losers . The minister of education and ASUU will collect theirs salaries after keeping the students at home. No private university can try that and the students won't take on them. So much for free education
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by MisterKay321(m): 10:58pm On Oct 25, 2022
rizingsun:
I believe that lecturers should be paid their past salaries because they will still teach the students all that they were supposed to be taught.
If you deny them their salaries, should the student be graduated to the next level/class without teaching and examination?
If this holds, third year students will then graduate and pass out. collect their their certificates and proceed to NYSC scheme.
So if the lecturers will teach the omitted schemes and examine the students as they should, then they deserve to be paid.

You have a point.
Someone once said if the federal government ignores the backlog of the salaries of lecturers, the lecturers too should ignore the remaining part of the academic year and start a new one.
That's a recipe for academic crisis.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by Stargurl20(f): 6:22am On Oct 26, 2022
thundafire:
Why not,even Seun were dey use outdated emojis deserve to be sued yet he makes noise
Lol
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by loganx: 9:01am On Oct 26, 2022
No matter how you look at it reagrding the goals or objective of strike, who is at fault
You cannot justify to be paid for the time you have not worked while on strike.

It will promote Irresponsibility.
Re: ASUU Strike: Does The Union Deserves Their Withheld Salaries? by GeneralBuhari: 6:27am On Oct 29, 2022
rizingsun:

This is a very stupid line of thought.

Any academic who is willing to skip teaching the students put under his care just because the government didn't pay them is not worthy to be academic at all.

It's just a woman saying that she will not breastfeed her child because her husband didn't give her money for feeding.

Does that make any sense to you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

College Of Education Akamkpa Expels Student For Refusal To Sing National Anthem / 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) / University Of Ibadan Expels Postgraduate Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.