Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,899 members, 7,922,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:31 PM

Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? (682 Views)

Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) / Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) / Why Nigerian Rice Is Expensive And Scarce - Fatimah Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by Pickmycall: 9:34am On Oct 30, 2022
I dont think the Nigerian government who is persuading Nigerians to patronise local rice are eating it.
The rice is filled with stones and is even costly.
I went to buy raw rice 2 days ago to prepare for myself.The local rice was sold for #150 for a 210grams tomato paste cup,while the foreign rice was #180 for same cup.
I decided to go for the former because I want to cut cost.
The rice was filled with a lot of stones that looked like rice.I was just cracking stones that my teeths started paining me.
I don't think Buhari or any of the politicians can eat it.
If government want Nigerians to go into agriculture,they should provide mechanical equipment for agriculture like tractors.

As at today the flood in Delta state has make traders to increase the price of their goods to 100%
This is not fair.
Cc mynd44
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by incandescentena: 9:38am On Oct 30, 2022
e tire pesin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by Redomi(m): 9:48am On Oct 30, 2022
In Ondo town here,a cup of peak milk local rice is N100, foreign rice is N140

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by donbachi(m): 10:02am On Oct 30, 2022
Since 1960 na e we still dey pick rice
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by Pickmycall: 10:05am On Oct 30, 2022
Redomi:
In Ondo town here,a cup of peak milk local rice is N100, foreign rice is N140
In delta state,they use 210grams tomato paste cup.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by budaatum: 10:18am On Oct 30, 2022
Pickmycall:
If government want Nigerians to go into agriculture,they should provide mechanical equipment for agriculture like tractors.

If Nigerian farmers want to make money, they should invest in the technology that improves the quality of their own crop instead of expecting government to buy it for them!
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by pafra(m): 10:19am On Oct 30, 2022
Pickmycall:
I dont think the Nigerian government who is persuading Nigerians to patronise local rice are eating it.
The rice is filled with stones and is even costly.
I went to buy raw rice 2 days ago to prepare for myself.The local rice was sold for #150 for a 210grams tomato paste cup,while the foreign rice was #180 for same cup.
I decided to go for the former because I want to cut cost.
The rice was filled with a lot of stones that looked like rice.I was just cracking stones that my teeths started paining me.
I don't think Buhari or any of the politicians can eat it.

As at today the flood in Delta state has make traders to increase the price of their goods to 100%
This is not fair.
Cc mynd44

I have been eating Nigeria rice for years, still have some. I am eating stone free rice since then

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by aieromon(m): 12:04pm On Oct 30, 2022
Pickmycall:

I have been eating stone free local rice since 2018. I speak for the bagged variants.

I have also been eating Ekpoma local rice since 2016. This variant does have stones but that is due to the local millers' inability to employ advanced destoning techniques. I suspect that is the grade you get in the open market sold in small units.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by aieromon(m): 12:11pm On Oct 30, 2022
budaatum:

If Nigerian farmers want to make money, they should invest in the technology that improves the quality of their own crop instead of expecting government to buy it for them!

Investors who have setup rice mills buy rice paddy from farmers and there is nothing wrong with the quality of paddy rice. The issue is the low number of rice mills and the sophistication of their equipment.

If a market seller patronises a rice mill lacking in adequate destoning techniques, he/she will likely end with a poor quality product.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by budaatum: 1:53pm On Oct 30, 2022
aieromon:

Investors who have setup rice mills buy rice paddy from farmers and there is nothing wrong with the quality of paddy rice. The issue is the low number of rice mills and the sophistication of their equipment.

If a market seller patronises a rice mill lacking in adequate destoning techniques, he/she will likely end with a poor quality product.
And thereby get a low price for our low quality product.

And the solution? Seize the opportunity to invest in a rice mill and sophisticated destoning equipment. But, of course, that's not the Nigerian way. We would rather invest in acquiring our manna from heaven than invest in providing our manna with the sweat of our own brow. And then we complain that it is of low quality while paying exorbitantly for what we import with dollars we don't have and for employment we also don't have.

Our worst enemy is indeed us.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by Pickmycall: 2:55pm On Oct 30, 2022
budaatum:

Farmers all over the world get government support to boost the quality of their products.It is only in Nigeria that you will read in newspapers that Nigerian government has distributed fertilizers to farmers.Meanwhile,no farmers receive any fertilizers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Rice Low In Quality Than The Foreign Rice? by budaatum: 4:18pm On Oct 30, 2022
Pickmycall:
Farmers all over the world get government support to boost the quality of their products.It is only in Nigeria that you will read in newspapers that Nigerian government has distributed fertilizers to farmers.Meanwhile,no farmers receive any fertilizers.

You will find that farmers all over the world that get government support to boost the quality of their products either provide some benefit to the government or force the government to be concerned about them, and Nigerian farmers do neither of those things.

Organise, and exercise your collective powers, and that would quickly change.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know In Italy It Is Illegal To Break Pasta / I Almost Ate Cockroach, I Thought It Was Groundnut! / Free Recipe Handbook Released !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.