Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:49 PM

Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? (318 Views)

Yahoo-Yahoo / Olosho Matter,Parents..what Precautionary Steps Are You Taking? / As Parents, What Are The Most Common Words Use With Children? / Would You Dress Your Kids Like This? See Reactions (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? by Humbrown23(m): 9:19pm On Nov 03, 2022
I was at a girlfriend’s house watching a movie with her mother. We were high school friends and were at each other’s homes quite a lot.

After the movie was over, my friend turned to her mother and said, “What would you or Dad do if one of you were to die?”

I was shocked. I would never have asked my mother something like that, but my friend and her mother had an unusually close relationship.

Her mother thought for only a few seconds. Obviously, she’d considered this before. “If your dad or I were to die, the one who remained would be devastated. We’d be heartbroken. Yet, after time passed, we may very well find someone to spend our later years with. It’s impossible to know, but that’s a possibility.”

Then my friend asked a second question. “But what if one of us kids died.”

The mother was truly taken aback. “Our children are irreplaceable. If something happened to your father or to me, the one who remained would be devastated. We would always grieve, but hopefully we’d make a new life for ourselves.

“But, one of our children.” She shook her head as if the thought brought her world tumbling down around her feet. “There’s no substitute for our children. No, life would never ever be the same again.”

Her answers were beyond the ability of my fifteen-year-old brain to comprehend. Now that I’m a parent myself, I understand what she meant.
Re: Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? by injuredman: 9:52pm On Nov 03, 2022
Humbrown23:

I was at a girlfriend’s house watching a movie with her mother. We were high school friends and were at each other’s homes quite a lot.

After the movie was over, my friend turned to her mother and said, “What would you or Dad do if one of you were to die?”

I was shocked. I would never have asked my mother something like that, but my friend and her mother had an unusually close relationship.

Her mother thought for only a few seconds. Obviously, she’d considered this before. “If your dad or I were to die, the one who remained would be devastated. We’d be heartbroken. Yet, after time passed, we may very well find someone to spend our later years with. It’s impossible to know, but that’s a possibility.”

Then my friend asked a second question. “But what if one of us kids died.”

The mother was truly taken aback. “Our children are irreplaceable. If something happened to your father or to me, the one who remained would be devastated. We would always grieve, but hopefully we’d make a new life for ourselves.

“But, one of our children.” She shook her head as if the thought brought her world tumbling down around her feet. “There’s no substitute for our children. No, life would never ever be the same again.”

Her answers were beyond the ability of my fifteen-year-old brain to comprehend. Now that I’m a parent myself, I understand what she meant.

As tough as it is to type this, I will try my best, even with trembling fingers.

I lost my lovely 7 year old to the cold hands of death few months ago. Devastation is an understatement. He was my world!

Your question, or say your friend's question to her mother, is something no parents will ever think of. It sounds odd to even consider such a question. Even in the most liberal society, such thoughts are abhorred.

We all wish to pre-disease our offspring, not the other way round. Life has never been the same for me since he died, and will never be. If I raise another child, it will never be the same experience. But the life goes on, I guess. Moving on after such experience is better said than done.

I cried, planned his funeral, then cried more. After his funeral, I tried to do something to immortalize his name. Still undergoing therapy with hope of healing properly.
Re: Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? by Humbrown23(m): 10:46pm On Nov 03, 2022
I'm sorry about your experience, it is a very terrible one

I pray God give you the fortitude to bear this loss even as you continue to heal

injuredman:

As tough as it is to type this, I will try my best, even with trembling fingers.

I lost my lovely 7 year old to the cold hands of death few months ago. Devastation is an understatement. He was my world!

Your question, or say your friend's question to her mother, is something no parents will ever think of. It sounds odd to even consider such a question. Even in the most liberal society, such thoughts are abhorred.

We all wish to pre-disease our offspring, not the other way round. Life has never been the same for me since he died, and will never be. If I raise another child, it will never be the same experience. But the life goes on, I guess. Moving on after such experience is better said than done.

I cried, planned his funeral, then cried more. After his funeral, I tried to do something to immortalize his name. Still undergoing therapy with hope of healing properly.
Re: Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? by ahnie: 6:51am On Nov 04, 2022
Omor that question is hard to be dignify with an answer.
I know how I have bn running around with my boy that has bn sick for days now I haven't even rested a bit....let alone death...chai God forbid bad thing.

Yesterday evening I saw a mum running like a madwoman with her sick son probably taking her to see the pharmacist
Re: Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? by ceeceeuwa: 9:20am On Nov 04, 2022
injuredman:

So sorry about your loss! May you be comforted with the hope of resurrection,were death and sickness will be no more.

1 Like

Re: Parents What Would You Do If You Were To Lose One Of Your Kids? by Omobithousand(f): 11:19am On Nov 04, 2022
injuredman:

I'm sorry for all you went and going tru... God gat u and Ur family

(1) (Reply)

Do U Dream About Late Family Members Or Friends / Man Holds Slipper On His Head & Removes His Shirt / Mother Rejects Car Gift From Undergraduate Son, Accuses Him Of ‘yahoo Yahoo’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.