Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,460 members, 7,908,328 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 12:34 AM

Confused About Learning C# - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Confused About Learning C# (4290 Views)

Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman / Am Confused About Java And C++ / What Do You Think About Learning Perl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused About Learning C# by binaflexia: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2011
I have this strong
affection for C#, but
currently I think I'm still
between beginner/
intermediate level in PHP.
Is it advisable to start
learning C# while I'm still
trying to master PHP.
Programmers and web
developers in the house, I
need your professional
advice.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Beaf: 12:06am On Aug 23, 2011
Dude, C# will take places PHP will dare not go, so keep learning both.
You won't regret learning C#, just don't forget C# doesn't use the $ sign. wink

One thing you should also do is get to grips with JavaScript and Html 5, cos Microsoft is committing sacrilege and high treason by basing the upcoming Windows 8 UI on that stuff. You could be in there kicking from the get-go.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by binaflexia: 12:27am On Aug 23, 2011
Thanks Beaf!

I have not started C# yet, i just wanted to know if i can learn both together. I learnt that it is dangerous to learn more than one programming language at a time. "Master one before moving to another" so they say. I just don't want to walk on a dangerous path, that is why i need to learn from people ahead of me.

BTW, thanks for the info on W8, I wil take that to heart.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by prodam(m): 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
learn c# only,
be a master of one by givng total concentration to a project/language
Re: Confused About Learning C# by KoolPitt(m): 6:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
I don't think it will be a good idea to learn both simultaneously. Why not start with one, then learning the other will just be a matter of learning its syntax and slight differences.

Just start or continue with the one you are more passionate about cos its the passion that will drive you through.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 30, 2011
No programming language is hard as long as u know the basic,primitive and the equivalent in other languages then u can just use the other's way of coding.i know C# basic but dont work with it the lest time i tries ASP.NET for someone's project it was a shock to them cuz it was my first time and also documentation and API dey, but use this

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/asp-net/asp-net-for-php-developers/
Re: Confused About Learning C# by naijaswag1: 3:43pm On Aug 30, 2011
C# stands alongside other languages such as C/C++,Python,Java,Perl,Haskell,clojure,ruby and even PHP.My take is for you to study a programming language from the ground up.What I mean is learning the basics and intermediate and then moving to that language's take on data structures and algorithms and even design patterns.i visit many programming challenges site and you will be surprised to find out that the best of programmers are not those who know java or c++ but those who can take advantage of the language they know to tackle any programming problem the encounter.You can be very good in PHP but adding a language like C# or c++ or java to your knowledge base is cool.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by abbyode(m): 10:02am On Sep 01, 2011
Drop all these Dot net stuff.
Go and learn Alpha5. You could read more on it from www.alphasoftware.com .
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Fayimora(m): 8:41pm On Sep 01, 2011
abbyode:

Drop all these Dot net stuff.
Go and learn Alpha5. You could read more on it from www.alphasoftware.com .
Are you kidding me?
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Fayimora(m): 8:52pm On Sep 01, 2011
naija_swag:

My take is for you to study a programming language from the ground up.
I disagree, learn how to program and not the language. . Let the language just act as a medium!

naija_swag:

i visit many programming challenges site and you will be surprised to find out that the best of programmers are not those who know java or c++ but those who can take advantage of the language they know to tackle any programming problem the encounter.
Which deviates towards what i wrote above! Thats only because they learnt how to program!

naija_swag:

You can be very good in PHP but adding a language like C# or c++ or java to your knowledge base is cool.
I kinda disagree. You see, there are so many aspects of development be it web, game or whatever! Now if you wanna be a web developer, honestly speaking i see no reason why you should be buggin your self with C. If you think you have gotten to the stage where you are and 'advanced' web developer, learning C is fine.

In general you are correct but your welcome to battle ma argument out wink
Re: Confused About Learning C# by netghost: 12:13am On Sep 02, 2011
@OP
most people will not bother what tool the plumber used in fixing their leaking pipe, they just want the pipe to stop leaking , in other words, regardless of the tools you use, the end result is all that matters, i advice you spend less time debating and start developing the skill you already have cool

1 Like

Re: Confused About Learning C# by abbyode(m): 10:37am On Sep 02, 2011
Fayimora:

Are you kidding me?

Not at all.
I can guarantee u that alpha5 will cut your development time by minimum of 70%. I dont care which development tool you use.
Try it for yourself and see.
The beauty of it is that, you dont even need to write a single line of code (optional).
Information is power.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Fayimora(m): 10:56am On Sep 02, 2011
abbyode:

Not at all.
I can guarantee u that alpha5 will cut your development time by minimum of 70%. I dont care which development tool you use.
Try it for yourself and see.
The beauty of it is that, you dont even need to write a single line of code (optional).
Information is power.
Well you are probably in the wrong place because i cant remember seeing a developer that would prefer not writing codes!
Re: Confused About Learning C# by logic101: 11:14am On Sep 02, 2011
you can get chsarp tutorials from the new boston his very good.
http://www.thenewboston.com/
Re: Confused About Learning C# by joefazee(m): 11:46am On Sep 02, 2011
No programming knowledge is a waste, i think the most important thing in programming is not the language but your approach to problem solving, so all you need is strong understanding of algorithm, how to convert real word problem into an equation and try to solve it in any language of your choice.

every programming language has something in common like loop, dynamic/static typing, function/method, main/no main etc. choose a language of your choice, don`t follow language politics. if you are planning to run your application any multiple platform then stick to something like Java, Python, PHP even the almighty C++/C. but if you want to spend the rest if your life writing for Windows then .NET family is the only way. if you love apple fancy OS, objective-C will kick your ass for a while but you will love it.

Get the right tool for the right project.

Happy coding
Re: Confused About Learning C# by abbyode(m): 9:25am On Sep 03, 2011
Fayimora:

Well you are probably in the wrong place because i cant remember seeing a developer that would prefer not writing codes!
Ok no problem, enjoy your coding.
All i need do is to meet clients' requirements FASTER and at REDUCED COST.
While you are still coding your Class, i would have deployed 2 applications for the same client.
I hope you realise this early enough, otherwise, keep re-inventing the wheels.
For your record, I was once a Java & .Net programmer before I came across this tool.
Cheers.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by netghost: 10:27am On Sep 03, 2011
abbyode:

For your record, I was once a Java & .Net programmer before I came across this tool.
guess you have found true love wink
Re: Confused About Learning C# by abbyode(m): 10:52am On Sep 03, 2011
netghost:

guess you have found true love wink

Yes ooo,
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Fayimora(m): 8:18pm On Sep 03, 2011
Its funny what you guys take re-inventing the wheel to mean! You know i could tell you to do something and ask you to make some very specific significant changes! Dont even say you would do it cause I know wat to ask. . In such a situation, what do you do?

abbyode:

While you are still coding your Class, i would have deployed 2 applications for the same client.

Really? You think so?? Hmmm well seems to me like you are all about the money! Goodluck anyways, just ignore me. .
Re: Confused About Learning C# by abbyode(m): 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2011
Really? You think so?? Hmmm well seems to me like you are all about the money! Goodluck anyways, just ignore me. .
[quote][/quote]

A point of correction there! I'm not just after money as you have painted it. I havent said anything as rgds money here.
I'm sorry to bother you with information in the first place, no vex. Enjoy your coding.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Fayimora(m): 3:36am On Sep 04, 2011

A point of correction there! I'm not just after money as you have painted it. I havent said anything as rgds money here.
I'm sorry to bother you with information in the first place, no vex. Enjoy your coding.
I don't think so,

How about
abbyode:

Ok no problem, enjoy your coding.
All i need do is to meet clients' requirements FASTER and at REDUCED COST.

Cheers.
Anyways your game not mine, was just tryna make you realise something you dont even care to see,

Ciaoo
Re: Confused About Learning C# by farouqzaib: 7:41am On Sep 04, 2011
@Beaf, I'm offfended. Where will C# go that PHP won't have being there already/ be ready to go also. Lucky this ain't the webmasters section. Dem for don fight u die. It's just a matter of personal taste. No one size fits all language here. The only beef I have with microsoft is dt programmers just jump into their tech cos it's kinda easy(did VB before) without learning how to program n hence end up churning bad codes but there are still great microsoft guys out there. And being a believer in open source tech, you can understand my bias. And besides PHP powers the major websites in the world which is what it was meant to do. On another note, the only advantage microsoft has over PHP and even other languages is it's huge support for RAD which can come quite handy. It's not about the language, it's about the shareholders, the programmer. Cheers.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by tundebabzy: 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2011
farouqzaib:

The only beef I have with microsoft is dt programmers just jump into their tech cos it's kinda easy(did VB before) without learning how to program n hence end up churning bad codes
??

farouqzaib:

And being a believer in open source tech, you can understand my bias.
oh now i get it. You could have just said you just don't like VB instead of blaming its ease. Have you ever tried Ruby on Rails? Meanwhile, being open source doesn't make a language the best. Java isn't open source.

farouqzaib:

And besides PHP powers the major websites in the world which is what it was meant to do.
So does Ruby on Rails and Python (Google.com and its sub domains including google plus)
Re: Confused About Learning C# by farouqzaib: 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2011
^^^, U still don't get the point. There is no "perfect" language. Ain't u d same guy stating on another thread dt all languages have their pros and cons. undecided undecided undecided
Studied Ruby n Rails for a while(we all have to work with a tight schedule), I like PHP better. I just started learning python. I still don't see .NET stuff powering some of the world's best website which is the point here. Some languages just excel at some stuff than others.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by yettysucce: 3:53pm On Sep 04, 2011
hmmm
Re: Confused About Learning C# by netghost: 3:57pm On Sep 04, 2011
farouqzaib:

@Beaf, I'm offfended. Where will C# go that PHP won't have being there already/ be ready to go also.

lets not start a language flamewar here ,

farouqzaib:

. The only beef I have with microsoft is dt programmers just jump into their tech cos it's kinda easy(did VB before) without learning how to program n hence end up churning bad codes

just learning the syntax of a programming language does not make you a computer programmer
Re: Confused About Learning C# by abbyode(m): 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2011
Fayimora:

Anyways your game not mine, was just tryna make you realise[b] something you dont even care to see[/b],

Ciaoo
Fayimora:

Its funny what you guys take re-inventing the wheel to mean! You know i could tell you to do something and ask you to make some very specific significant changes! Dont even say you would do it cause I know wat to ask. . In such a situation, what do you do?

You keep sounding RUDE, pls be guided !
Re: Confused About Learning C# by tundebabzy: 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2011
my bad if my post sounded inappropriate. As you can see from netghost's post your comments sounded like you were trying to do some Pro PHP language war. But like you said, there is no one fits all language. PHP is built mainly for the web. Its easier to learn (subjective comment) than C# and its very popular so there are a lot of free tutorials and snippets all over the web which is why its very difficult to find PHP programmers that are actually skilled.
Hosting a C# web application is not free which is why you will find C# applications in corporate lines.

Meanwhile,

farouqzaib:

I still don't see .NET stuff powering some of the world's best website which is the point here. Some languages just excel at some stuff than others.
When Myspace was the next best thing on the web, it was being run on .NET (now its coldfusion)
Re: Confused About Learning C# by Awemo(f): 6:47pm On Sep 04, 2011
Plz am a little confused.am not even getting c# as much as I learn but I want to learn c#,what can ginger me?
Re: Confused About Learning C# by farouqzaib: 7:38pm On Sep 04, 2011
^^^, The fact that programmers are making money and some even built multi billion dollars corporation from it and yes passion for it(before ppl hammer me).
Re: Confused About Learning C# by farouqzaib: 7:58pm On Sep 04, 2011
@tundebabzy, I'm really sorry if you thought I was brewing for some language battle. I've seen too many of 'em to know better. Didn't know myspace was built with .NET(I learned something new today. Thanks.). To every man his own.
Re: Confused About Learning C# by skydancer: 8:10pm On Sep 04, 2011
binaflexia:

I have this strong
affection for C#,

Wow! I'd say 'follow your heart' at once but . . .

binaflexia:

Is it advisable to start
learning C# while I'm still
trying to master PHP.

Before I continue, I'd like to quote Beaf:
Beaf:

One thing you should also do is get to grips with JavaScript and Html 5, cos Microsoft is committing sacrilege and high treason by basing the upcoming Windows 8 UI on that stuff. You could be in there kicking from the get-go.
Well as you can see, everything is not always as they seem. We are migrating the clouds and even Microsoft recognizes that, and they also recognize that soon their OS will soon be a tool for connecting to the Internet, they also understand that people are looking for mobile stuff. So what can I say, continue on your road to mastering PHP for the moment. Don't break your PHP mastering, delve headlong deep into the intrinsics of web development, and if you are looking for side study, go with javascript, html5, css/css3. One thing you can be sure of is: If you can master web technologies, the Internet & web security, you will have the whole world at your door.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Start Building Android Apps. What Kits Do I Need? / Nigerian Online Chat App / Oracle2000 For All Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.