Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,163 members, 7,890,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 02:04 AM

How Far Are You Taking Your Career: An Exclusive Interview With Rapper Jay P - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Far Are You Taking Your Career: An Exclusive Interview With Rapper Jay P (201 Views)

Exclusive Interview With South African Rapper Aka / Rap Session With Rapper 'DELAX' / Wizkid Wins MOBO Best International Act Awards, Beats Jay Z, Cardi B, Drake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Far Are You Taking Your Career: An Exclusive Interview With Rapper Jay P by PawlEpen: 10:26am On Nov 25, 2022
Biggie Smalls said,” the sky is the limit”, Elon Musk said let’s go to space so Jay P will take his career as far as the limits can be stretched. Until he has defied all geographical boundaries, broken stereotypes, achieved the impossible and collected a lot of loot.

Tell us about your music beginnings

Started at the age of 6. At 9 got into a church choir and formed a music group that eventually fell apart. Continued to study hip-hop and nurture the talent and flex the skills.

What’s the biggest setback you have encountered?

That would be a combo of geographical limitations and being broke. For a fella that made up his mind to fight as hard as possible to be clean, options diminish and on top of that it takes quite a bit of time to get used to the idea of earning an honest income. Feels a lot harder at the start. With persistence and accurate networking, geographical boundaries get broken down eventually, sort of like the Berlin wall or climbing over the China Wall

Name 5 musicians who had an early influence on you
That would be P. Diddy, 2 Pac, Notorious B.I.G, D.M.X, Dr. Dre

Is fame important to you?

Yes and No. Yes, because I must leverage it to collect paper. No because it has no inspiration whatsoever to my music making process.
Tell us about your “College Degree Gangster” song? We’ve heard a few things about this and that. Care to set the record straight?
This is a song to look out for. Jay P deciphers what it means to be Educated by the streets as well as formally. College Degree Gangster highlights the plight of a kid growing up amid pressures from the streets and the expectations of society versus his ambitions and expectations of himself. When you are both street smart and corporate smart, do you possess the ultimate package?

Name five songs of yours that a true hip-hop fan gotta bump

Hustle Avenue, More Than Money, N#gga What Chigga Who, Modus Operandi, Ride or Die.
Why have you taken so long to seek exposure for yourself as an artist as well as for your musical body of work?
It’s not that Jay P never wanted to break out earlier. It is just that a number of factors were at play forcing him to prioritize and deliberately slow things down several times. The difference between now and then is there ain’t gon be no slowing down whatever the case. Once the boat sets sail, there is not coming back to the shores.

Would you accept a record deal?

At this point, a record deal is not much of a big deal like it once was. When several aspects of the business have been learned, questions like what the label is bringing to the table pop up. What’s the offering that is not already on the table? It is business so if an offer seems attractive, may be it could be worth reviewing.

A lot of artists come and go as fast as they came. Are you gonna be one of those?

Indeed, easy come-easy go. What it look like? Acts like Jay P stay in the game for a very long time, if not forever.
Do you smoke? Anything. Tell us about it.
Jay P doesn’t consider himself a smoker as such. He has however done quite a bit of experimenting. From Kush to Cohibas, Fine-ass Cubans to using Yocan Batteries to get a session lit among others.

Where do you see yourself this time next year?

Littering almost every platform, with pictures, videos, stories, merchandise, short films. Anything and everything Jay P.

Do you have a music manager?

No. Up to this point I have not gotten a reliable, industry savvy and well connected one so I self-manage, besides I am still at a point in my career where it is okay to self-manage. I know it won’t last long before I get one but hey I might as well enjoy being a one man show while it lasts.

What’s your ultimate goal as a musician?

That would be becoming a house hold name hehe. Like Pepsi or Coca-Cola, Jay Z or Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley or The Beatles. It is important to me to reach out to people through music. Music has the power to influence, negatively or positively therefore if properly directed, music can make all the difference in people’s lives.

See Jay P's official website https://jayp.life

Hear Jay P Hustle Avenue Album https://worldnewsdailynews.com/hear-rap-sensation-jay-ps-critically-acclaimed-album-hustle-avenue/

(1) (Reply)

Looking For A New Naija New Song With A Sick Beat Like Slimcase's 'erica' / Seyi Vibez Spotted Vibing To Asake's Song At A Club In Lagos. / Listen: Pressure By Ofego ( Time E Be Money Album)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.