Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,610 members, 7,917,955 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:04 PM

Our Parents Have Failed Us ! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Parents Have Failed Us ! (1023 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by blackpanda: 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2011
There was a time when people still had good morals, when to steal or even look at what does not belong to you was a grave crime upon which parents never failed to exercise appropriate disciplinary measures. There was a time when parents preached not only the love of your fellow brother but also the supremacy of national interest. When they taugt us to speak in our mother tongue and to be proud to be called nigerians.
There was a time when going to farm was not seen as being poverty stricken and parents emphasized the importance of hardwork and integrity. If you told my great grand father that my grand father was a thief, he would vouch for him with the last drop of his blood because he was 100% sure of the kind of good morals he had instilled in his son!

But today, what do we have? Parents assist their kids to cheat in exams. How many of us can still speak in our native dialect? When you become a "public servant" the first person to knock on ur door will be ur father, demanding that u build a house in the village and loot as much public funds as you possibly can. The worst part is that the cycle continues, each generation keeps teaching the next how to be corrupt. Infact, we are at a point now, where if u decide to be clean, people will think you have gone mad or will start calling you "enemy of progress"- looking for ways to plot your downfall.
its such a pity. Everyone is busy blaming government for corruption, but in actual fact there is something fundamentally wrong with our roots!
The dream every graduate has these days is to either work in oil company or enter government and steal (with most preferring the latter).

If we are ever to get out of this pit of woes, we must retrace our foot steps. And it all starts from the home, not the government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by ronkebp(f): 2:13pm On Aug 27, 2011
Do not generalize,, not all parents are like that.
Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by eddy1977(m): 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2011
That's why we are inferior to white people.
as much as we try to deny it,it is the truth.
Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by Roland17(m): 11:00pm On Aug 27, 2011
I take God beg u, talk of ur own abegooo, my parents are the best things to have happened to me, i don't joke with them .
Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by madoba: 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2011
blackpanda:

How many of us can still speak in our native dialect? When you become a "public servant" the first person to knock on your door will be your father, demanding that u build a house in the village and loot as much public funds as you possibly can.

Mmmh I will agree and disagree with the two points above respectively. Here goes

I feel you on the part about some people not being able to speak their native dialect. I cringe mentally when I come across such people and they say it out loud with no remorse as if it is a thing of pride.

What I find even more appalling is the youngsters (4 - 10 yrs old) who can speak english with all the oyinbo accent and slangs yet they can't say a single word in their dialect.

A father can demand for a house in the village but with the outrageous sum public servants are paid that house can be built without the need for looting.

All in all I think our parents didn't do a bad job at all, however the current crop of parents we have may be the ones overlooking certain crucial things. The quest for money to provide a good quality of life for their children may be taking it's toll on them
Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by Outstrip(f): 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
madoba:

Mmmh I will agree and disagree with the two points above respectively. Here goes

I feel on you the part about some people not being able to speak their native dialect. I cringe mentally when I come across such people and they say it out loud with no remorse as if it is a thing of pride.

What I find even more appaling is the youngsters (4 - 10 yrs old) who can speak english with all the oyinbo accent and slangs yet they can't say a single word in their dialect.

A father can demand for a house in the village but with the outrageous sum public servants are paid that house can be built without the need for looting.

All in all I think our parents didn't do a bad job at all, however the current crop of parents we have may be the ones overlooking certain crucial things. The quest for money to provide a good quality of life for their children may be taking it's toll on them

Nobody should demand anything from anybody
Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by nassiwa: 8:36am On Aug 31, 2011
Not all parents are like that. Some try so hard to see that their children are brought up with good morals. I think every parent should think about raising their kids to be good citizens of the nation.
Re: Our Parents Have Failed Us ! by madoba: 10:04am On Sep 01, 2011
Outstrip:

Nobody should demand anything from anybody

Why don't you say that to the OP, and don't quote me.
The issue of ''demanding'' originated from his post I was only making reference to it.
Did you even read through his post before refering to mine? Duuuuhhhh

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your Advice / 9 Reasons Why Some African Ladies End Up Single For Life / thats it

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.