Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,089 members, 7,977,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 08:30 PM

Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion (620 Views)

Bandits Block Highway In Zamfara, Kidnap Passengers In Two Loaded Buses / Truck Drivers Block Zaria Road To Protest Customs Officers’ Shooting / Iran: Shi’ites, Others Protest In FCT, Burn US Flag, Block Highway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by Superwave16320: 11:31pm On Dec 07, 2022
There was pandemonium in Onitsha, Anambra State, on Tuesday, when commercial drivers clashed with illegal revenue collectors in the state.

The bus drivers, in a bid to register their grievances, blocked the ever-busy Onitsha end of the River Niger Bridge, thereby preventing vehicular movements on the road.

The protesters claimed that blocking the highway was the only way to express their dissatisfaction with the extortion by louts and illegal revenue agents.

The situation made stranded commuters to trek long distances to their various destinations, while other vehicle owners made use of inner roads.

People started running helter-skelter when the protesters resorted to violence and confronted the revenue agents.

The intervention of security operatives prevented the situation from escalating. The spokesperson for the group, Ugwoke Onyemaechi, said the drivers embarked on the protest to draw the attention of the state Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, to their plight.

He said, “How can these louts continue to extort money from us after we pay the agreed levy to the state government? At any bus-stop we pull up, they will rush down and say we are not supposed to park there and forcefully collect thousands of naira from us.

Some of us who refuse to pay will be beaten black and blue for daring them, and that is why we protest for the government to provide motor parks for us since we can’t pull up to pick or drop passengers at the bus-stops. We will continue the protest if nothing is done.”

The protest, which lasted for about two hours, resulted in gridlock as occupants of some vehicles, who could not withstand the situation, came out from their vehicles and started trekking.

The state police spokesman, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, said security operatives deployed in the area had restored order.

He said, “We don’t know the reason they were protesting but our men were quickly deployed in the area to restore normalcy and prevent breakdown of law and order and patrol is still ongoing; people should go about their normal activities

https://punchng.com/commuters-stranded-as-protesting-anambra-drivers-block-highway/

Instead of the mod to move this to frontpage the paid Igbo mod keep on deleting the article even when it is from a reputable newspaper.

Still wondering why the mod have refused to move this thread to frontpage. I will wait another 24hours before giving the Igbo mod a piece of my mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by TheGiftedOne(m): 11:45pm On Dec 07, 2022
Every single thread now has a political undertone. Joblessness no pass this one. Who do una? Tufiakwa!!!

5 Likes

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by CaptainAyub: 11:46pm On Dec 07, 2022
Soludo Solution grin

1 Like

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by FreeStuffsNG: 11:49pm On Dec 07, 2022
Agbero bawo? In Igboland? I thought some of my Igbo brothers always tag agbero with the indefatigable MC Oluomo here in Lasgidi ni?

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by Roboto11: 12:13am On Dec 08, 2022
Agbero?

In Anambra?

Land of developers?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by OriOko88(m): 12:15am On Dec 08, 2022
cool
So agbero dey ibo land too. I tot they always clame na yoruba land agbero dey,that their land is orderly. Yeye people cheesy

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by Abdul05: 1:22am On Dec 08, 2022
If obi had engaged thousands of anambra youths with a meaningful skill or skills.. while in office

This kind of situation wouldn't have occurred. .. grin

Obi is a huge failure. ..
grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by TakeNigeriaBack: 1:33am On Dec 08, 2022
Onitsha (not Lagos) is the headquarters of agberos in Nigeria. If you have not witnessed them (like I have) you will not understand. Ipigs are projectionists. Whenever they accuss you of something, just know they are guilty of that same thing or even worst.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by Thedon22: 2:03am On Dec 08, 2022
Obis supporters are hypocrites. I will never vote for their candidate even after Tinubu has done his 2 terms. I would rather vote aany northerner eg Shetima, Kwankwazo, Hell Rufa etc.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by Superwave16320: 7:15am On Dec 08, 2022
I wonder why foolish Ipob Igbo defensing Anambra are yet to come on this thread

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by OGIBRA(m): 7:16am On Dec 08, 2022
How i wish the same people that put all lagos problem on TINUBU can also put all anambra problem on PETER OBI, all adamawa problem on ATIKU, all kano problem on kwankawso...
Instead of us focusing more on the present governor of both state, we just decide to be seeing tins from perspective that sought us.. Thats why the political class kip taking us for granted...
I.O.T

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by ezechi242: 8:14am On Dec 08, 2022
I thought you wanted to show us at least a video or picture of the protesting drivers ...all you Just did was to chase a horse that has left you with a speed of light....I will not be surprised if you masturbate with obi's pictures.. grin grin
Re: Protesting Anambra Drivers Block Highway Over Agbero Touts Extortion by Superwave16320: 10:14am On Dec 08, 2022
You can take up your foolish senseless lamentation with Punch as the newspaper is no longer reputable bcoa it exposed the Pandora kleptomaniac criminal Peter Obi
ezechi242:
I thought you wanted to show us at least a video or picture of the protesting drivers ...all you Just did was to chase a horse that has left you with a speed of light....I will not be surprised if you masturbate with obi's pictures.. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Senate President Lawan Says Nigerian Government Must Support Cattle Business / Exposed! Why Dupe Is Angry With DSS / Nnpp’s Kwankwaso Unveils Presidential Campaign Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.