Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,232 members, 7,934,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 04:31 PM

FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS (7659 Views)

Jonathan Sidelines Yoruba In Key Appointments - Akande / SSS Absolves Iherijirka Of BH Sponsorship Without Investigations / Recovered Flying Object In Ibadan Is A Toy - Police, SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by tushutt(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2011
THIS IS INTERESTING shocked shocked shocked
Ovularia:

“FBI operatives and other foreign experts have been taking part in investigations into the bombings in the country from the October 1, 2010 incident to the June 16, 2011 Force Headquarters blast. Yet, they have not been able to provide any useful lead that could help us to apprehend the masterminds.

“Remember that after the two incidents, the team gathered some evidence from the blast scene which they took to their labs in the United States, but nothing has been heard about the result of the analyses till date,” the police officer said.

The security chief explained that the [size=8pt]results of forensic analysis usually did not take more than 24 hours,[/size] adding that the nation’s security agencies had been kept in the dark since then.

On the speculation that the security agencies had advance warning of the bombing, the police officer said he was not aware, but added that security agencies would have foiled it if it was true that they had advance warning.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Olusola Amore, declined to comment on the development. He said he was on leave. When contacted, the FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Moshood Jimoh, also declined to speak on the investigation, stressing that releasing information might jeopardize the ongoing probe.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108292403178

This country sef
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Guyman02: 3:55pm On Aug 29, 2011
Tell which country that FBI has been able to tackle terrorism. This month alone over 70 people where killed in Iraq bombings where the US still provides security.
The Taliban killed 30 Navy SEALS with one shot in Afghanistan when they brought down a Chinook helicopter.
The British Centre was also attacked in Kabul.
The fact is that GEJ is some how jittery when it comes to the Americans, British and French. That was why he quickly accepted the Shell sponsored UN report on Ogoni oil spills and the proposal for a thirty years cleanup operation if they are allowed to resume operations.
Let the Americans show us the technology involved in forensic analysis, we can even improve on it and work with it. Those guys just want to sell their gadgets to us, Shikena.
The more you involve the Americans the more radicalized people you push into joining BH, they will believe it is an opportunity to fight the great Satan (as Islamic militants see the US) who oppresses Muslims around the world.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by emesv26(m): 3:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
they should allowed this men to do their jobs
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Guyman02: 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2011
velo10:

Don't blame this move. The UN is their interest. We'd do the same if our agencies abroad were attacked, at least to some extent.
grin grin grin grin @bolded
Now you have informed us about who owns the UN grin grin
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by ncpat(m): 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2011
As at this stage one can`t really do anything cos in this situation FBI only make use of evidence around like finger print which is scanned and search into the country`s data base which nigeria don`t have, they also make use of cctv to know possible picture of who makes the move and it will be a shame if such is not planted around the un building cos i know in us embassy and israel embassy here in nigeria is surrounded by cctv

let me see if i can help here:

i heard that the car that bombed the un building ran down the first and second gate, if this is true that means un shares a blame here for not making a strong gate.

if the stery of the car has not been destroy by the incident, let they do a forensic on it and check with NCC data base for possible match since have started registration of sim card. they may be lucky the idiot has registered his/her sim and have his/her data with NCC and they can also check with INEC since they have data base of VOTERS and also check with civil registrar of national ID and also if the UN cctv picks the reg. no. of the vehicle, they can check with internal revenue for the owner of the reg. no. i think this how far who ever can go and let the NCC immediately deactivate unregister sim and also let the FG start to issue social security number so as to have data base of all nigerian.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by tushutt(m): 4:08pm On Aug 29, 2011
ncpat:

As at this stage one can`t really do anything cos in this situation FBI only make use of evidence around like finger print which is scanned and search into the country`s data base which nigeria don`t have, they also make use of cctv to know possible picture of who makes the move and it will be a shame if such is not planted around the un building cos i know in us embassy and israel embassy here in nigeria is surrounded by cctv

let me see if i can help here:

i heard that the car that bombed the un building ran down the first and second gate, if this is true that means un shares a blame here for not making a strong gate.

if the stery of the car has not been destroy by the incident, let they do a forensic on it and check with NCC data base for possible match since have started registration of sim card. they may be lucky the has registered his/her sim and have his/her data with NCC and they can also check with INEC since they have data base of VOTERS and also check with civil registrar of national ID and also if the UN cctv picks the reg. no. of the vehicle, they can check with internal revenue for the owner of the reg. no. i think this how far who ever can go and let the NCC immediately deactivate unregister sim and also let the FG start to issue social security number so as to have data base of all nigerian.

U go fear forensic analyst na grin grin

Which country are you from undecided
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Gbenge77(m): 4:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
Lets hope the FBI is able to investigate this conclusively.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Basics007: 4:19pm On Aug 29, 2011
Maybe i'm being naive but what else is there to investigate? Boko Haram has already admitted to be the brain behind d attack so what else?
Instead of wasting time on investigation that whose result will never see d light of the day why dont we just invite the Israeli Mossad to smoke out these miscreants. Those guys no dey take eyes see militants,dem go wipe dem commot from the face of earth in no time
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by xpizzy(m): 4:25pm On Aug 29, 2011
Well FBI cannot reach a logical conclusion on the premise that they have absolutely no local knowledge about Boko haram, thier tactics their environment e.t.c i think FBI should only help train on local/internal/domestic intelligence gathering
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by xpizzy(m): 4:28pm On Aug 29, 2011
@basic007 i assume u have knowledge on espionage. The mossad will wipe dis guys away with only 20 agents even if boko are up to 1000
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by joannes7(m): 4:42pm On Aug 29, 2011
big shame,
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Your failure to comprehend what democracy really means at this point in your life is what is stu-pid in all this, my friend. Again, I will send you back to the books . . . go read . . . . wake up your critical thinking skills . . . I am of the belief that all humans have it . . . USE IT!!

You are always talking nonsense,and contradict yourself everytime.You are the one that needs critical thinking.Oloshi
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
Gbenge 77:

Lets hope the FBI is able to investigate this conclusively.

They can't. Unless they know Nigeria more than Nigerians, which I really doubt. This is what happens when our "wetin you carry" police is required to do some serious work.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 29, 2011
A source in one of the security agencies, who requested anonymity, said the takeover had the support of the Federal Government. The source added that the government might have lost confidence in the Police, SSS and other security agencies for their alleged failure to halt the bombings in the country.

If the Government has lost faith in its own security institutions which it has control over, then we too have lost faith in the Government.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by peleson: 5:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
@1stcitizen, you act like you are acting a script, speak for your self and do not generalize your statement, you are very intelligent i can see, why not join the police and make it better, or better still,give an advice on how to solve this problem if you think you know better, i think this challenge will take you years, lol
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2011
All these analyst. . . . what is the koko of the matter?

FBIs cannot and will not find anything tangible. Nigerian laws does not correlate with the forensic system, neither is the law developed nor is the forensic system anyway developed. Their system will not work in Nigeria.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Ayokunle07(m): 5:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
Basics007:

Maybe i'm being naive but what else is there to investigate? Boko Haram has already admitted to be the brain behind d attack so what else?
Instead of wasting time on investigation that whose result will never see d light of the day why dont we just invite the Israeli Mossad to smoke out these miscreants. Those guys no dey take eyes see militants,dem go wipe dem commot from the face of earth in no time
perhaps we can give it a try!
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by juman(m): 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2011
joannes7:

big shame,

Instead of the country to think of way forward from this economic mess we are thinking of solving bombing palaver.

Why can't we be divided gently before we reach civil war stage.

If we continue at this pace civil war is just few steps away from Nigerians.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by abelian: 6:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
xpizzy:

@basic007 i assume u have knowledge on espionage. The mossad will wipe dis guys away with only 20 agents even if boko are up to 1000

apart from the fact that it is very difficult for the Mossad (white skinned) guys to blend in the Northern part of the country, it will not be a good idea for Nigeria to involve them, because it might cause unnecessary controversy with the muslim / arab world

all we need right now is deploy the drones angry angry angry
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by premechaz: 6:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

They can't. Unless they know Nigeria more than Nigerians, which I really doubt. This is what happens when our "wetin you carry" police is required to do some serious work.

And Yes, they know Nigeria more than Nigerians. At least the CIA does.

You are looking at it the wrong way. The FBI crime labs are the most advanced crime processing labs in the world. The FBI is going there to retrieve finger prints, look at bomb specifications, recorded tapes etc. What do you think the UN, US embassies in Lagos and Abuja do? They collect data on all of us. I have no doubt in my mind that if the FBI do not already know more about Boko haram than our incompetent officers, they will learn about them in the next few days and would have more information than the Nigerian police  and SSS could ever imagine. We are talking about White people here, They don't mess around and the kind of technology they have would make babalawos look ordinary.

Of course, they might not know the short cut to Borno more than Nigerians, but with their drones and googlemap and NASA maps, they will kill more Boko Haramites before you could finish one round of se3x with Ileke, [size=4pt]assuming you have premature ejaculation and jedi jedi[/size]. Look at what they did in Afghanistan, Pakistan with Osama, Iraq, Yemen etc. You do know that without stepping foot on Yemen, they have been able to give the Yemen authorities more information about the whereabouts of Awlaki that the Yemen authorities could ever have.

This is where competence and taking your job seriously take you. Remember how the Nigerian police messed up Ige's investigation. They are not about to allow that to happen again, especially when it has to do with the UN and who knows how many White people were killed.

See how our Nigerian experts handles Ige's case:

To the chagrin of the visitors, the ballistics expert on Mrs. Ojomo's team "confided that unspent shotgun shells left at the crime scene were not processed for latent fingerprints and were handled by at least six police officials before being placed in a paper envelope and marked as evidence".

"Similar examples of poor collection and preservation of crime scene evidence," the ambassador said, "were evident, including the removal of the body, the movement of a suitcase that the assailant reportedly opened and searched, and the failure to take fingerprints of the attorney general to compare with unknown fingerprints found at the crime scene." Mrs. Ojomo reportedly conceded that the investigation was sloppy. Mr. Jeter said that during the meeting, the police AIG "candidly expressed disappointment in her team's performance and noted that these deficiencies highlighted the need for advanced training for CID investigators - training that could be provided by the USG, particularly the FBI, in evidence collection and forensic analysis".

[size=18pt]The feeling of the American officials after meeting with Mrs. Ojomo and her team was one of disbelief as they "found a group of under-trained and ill-equipped investigators struggling with a complex criminal investigation."[/size]

[size=15pt]"These deficiencies were underscored by an offer from Mrs. Ojomo herself to open the envelope containing the gunmen's unspent shells and give these to the FBI agents for examination in her office (which would have further contaminated the evidence)."[/size] The American ambassador, however, noted that the police wanted their investigation to yield a successful prosecution. He urged the US government to extend its assistance to the Nigerian police to aid it in its investigations.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5684203-146/story.csp

I am in support of the FBI taking over jare. Let them take over for good!
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by dustydee: 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2011
The US should just take over Nigeria and make it her 51st state.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
dustydee:

The US should just take over Nigeria and make it her 51st state.

You wish. grin
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by efisher(m): 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2011
I am 1000% sure that FBI knows more about Nigeria and Boko Haram than the entire police force does.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Builder: 7:19pm On Aug 29, 2011
The FBI coming to Nigeria is the beggining of the end for nigeria, because anywhere the USA steps its feet it always ends up destroying the place, i fear for my country
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Beaf: 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2011
Guyman02:

Tell which country that FBI has been able to tackle terrorism. This month alone over 70 people where killed in Iraq bombings where the US still provides security.
The Taliban killed 30 Navy SEALS with one shot in Afghanistan when they brought down a Chinook helicopter.
The British Centre was also attacked in Kabul.
The fact is that GEJ is some how jittery when it comes to the Americans, British and French. That was why he quickly accepted the Shell sponsored UN report on Ogoni oil spills and the proposal for a thirty years cleanup operation if they are allowed to resume operations.
Let the Americans show us the technology involved in forensic analysis, we can even improve on it and work with it. Those guys just want to sell their gadgets to us, Shikena.
The more you involve the Americans the more radicalized people you push into joining BH, they will believe it is an opportunity to fight the great Satan (as Islamic militants see the US) who oppresses Muslims around the world.

Are you the spokesperson for boko haram?
Who cares for what those primitives think about attempts to root them out. Very soon, they will find that, far from their own very own goat ridden, sharia inspired country, they will be getting US bombs from unseen eyes in the sky.

The involvement of the FBI is very welcome, because boko haram is sponsored by top core-Northern politicians; but even much worse, by core-Northern security, army and police officers. It is a well-known fact that the top echelons of our army and police are filled with core-Northern officers (a good percent of whom are boko haram), that is why it has been so difficult to eradicate the problem.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by alexis(m): 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
How should I start my response:

Let us trace the problem back to the beginning and maybe just maybe we can make some sense out of it. How did the weapons and guns the BH is using get into the country? In order for that to happen it means Nigeria has a defective custom and immigration system. If your borders are not secure - you can have weapons come in. Now imagine if they can sneak in biological weapons or nukes? You see where it gets tricky - this is where the US is concerned about. If 9ja can't handle "LOCAL" problems, what happens when you have a "local: problem that affects others?

Most of the governing institutions in 9ja are face functioning with no professionalism whatsoever. For example, every Nigerian should have a unique identification ID or a social security number. This number should be tied to your bank account, employment, place of birth, residence etc. Basically, it should list and provide an audit trail of whatever you do. Institutions should do the same. Everyone should have access to their senators, congressman/woman, people in national assembly. So when they mess up; you scream about it, make noise about it, write about it. So, it creates an environment where people in position of authority are cautious and careful. It keeps them on their toes. But if someone steals from public office you talk about it over dinner and that's it - where are you effecting change? NO-WHERE.

If you don't have your house in order and by not doing anything harms someone else - then you are sure the other person will act to protect their interest. If BH was screaming and shouting but not harming people, no one would really care. But if they start killing people and blowing up places, of course they will attract attention and if Nigerians can't do anything about it; then others will.

I was appalled to read that the sultan was condemning the government heavy-handedness in dealing with BH. I am not saying the government approach is correct but it shocks me that the leader of the entire muslims in Nigeria didn't make any effort to resolve this before condemning someone else.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Beaf: 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2011
Builder:

The FBI coming to Nigeria is the[b] beggining of the end for nigeria[/b], because anywhere the USA steps its feet it always ends up destroying the place, i fear for my country

And what was the starting of Nigeria if I may ask? The section of the country boko haram is from has always resisted moves to hold a sovereign national conference that would have laid a proper foundation for the existence of our union.

We have never been a country, so whats the big deal if as a result of the bone-headedness of election losers, Nigeria melts down? Maybe the extremist murderers would engage themselves in a fight with the US, but you can be sure that the Middle Belt, ND, SE and SW will not engage in that id!ocy; rather they will side with the US to pacify the regions where extremist have a foothold.

Americans are most welcome indeed. cool
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Beaf: 7:35pm On Aug 29, 2011
Aigbofa:

Yes, they do. Hilary Clinton actually stated that fact very clearly and unambiguously during the Yar Adua saga, Wikileaks later proved her right. Even Shell knows more about Nigeria than most of our security services do.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by monkeyleg: 7:41pm On Aug 29, 2011
Well, in the abscene of any functional security agency, we have not choice at this stage but to allow those who know to step in.

I argued months ago, that the nigerian govenment should seek a special secuirty relationship with the British, but no one was listening. Would it have been wrong for the govenment to get the british in to help restructure our police forces? give them a 2yr, £20m contract. there are a lot of well seasond ex-officers taking on private security work, these are people we would have gotten involved to help, but no, we want to carry on as usual
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by Beaf: 7:57pm On Aug 29, 2011
monkeyleg:

Well, in the abscene of any functional security agency, we have not choice at this stage but to allow those who know to step in.

I argued months ago, that the nigerian govenment should seek a special secuirty relationship with the British, but no one was listening. Would it have been wrong for the govenment to get the british in to help restructure our police forces? give them a 2yr, £20m contract. there are a lot of well seasond ex-officers taking on private security work, these are people we would have gotten involved to help, but no, we want to carry on as usual

The total rebuilding of the police is already going on with many getting high tech training abroad. However, that is a project that will take several years, so we remain stuck with the N200 roadblock champs who would sell their mothers if boko haram gave enough "roger." We cannot afford to wait several years with the way boko harams attacks are escalating in severity and sophistication, hence the need for the FBI here and now.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by hercules07: 8:19pm On Aug 29, 2011
We need all the help we can get, our local security forces are inept, the good guys among them are pushed out of relevance, it is the totally corrupt and morally bankrupt that are in position of authority, there is a need to clean the augean stables there.
Re: FBI takes over UN bombing investigations, sidelines Police, SSS by alexis(m): 8:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
The police should be decentralized - organizations like the SSS or other intelligence federal agencies should be controlled by the federal government. 9ja is a federal state, there are local governments - each local government should have it's own police force, courts, prisons, fire service etc. So, it's not everything that happens that you blame the federal government. If a local government chairman is chopping your local govt money - how is that the president's fault.

When you have issues that the local government can't handle, then you involve the state government until you move up the chain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Maiduguri Is Not Under Attack. / Amazing Pictures Of Olawepo Hashim's Meeting With PT Excos In Abuja / FG Votes N792m To Refurbish Aircraft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.