Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,744 members, 7,875,860 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:50 PM

Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists (22844 Views)

My Girlfriend Wants Us To Wear Same Attire To Her Niece traditional marriage / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by asanausana91: 3:27pm On Dec 14, 2022
Bantu10:

Mister, go and sit ur ass down you bloody hypocrite. We are talking about the number of years north vs south has ruled the country... No body cares whether it is military or civilian
you don't have anything to discuss. If you want to talk about military open the topic.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Bantu10: 3:36pm On Dec 14, 2022
asanausana91:
you don't have anything to discuss. If you want to talk about military open the topic.

So the topic where u are commenting is about the number of years civilian north and south president has ruled the country?
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Allisgud: 4:02pm On Dec 14, 2022
Na only a virgin bride worth this list
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Blazebond(m): 4:08pm On Dec 14, 2022
Hahahaha,wahala everywhere.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by paradigmshift(m): 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2022
When it comes to traditional marriage,Edo is the cheapest...God bless Edo state
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by FuckSilly: 5:12pm On Dec 14, 2022
Mophasa:
I’ve been seeing some marriage lists with insane requirements running into millions of naira on the internet lately and there’s something that actually interests me about it.

In the generations of our ancestors when this lists were curated, 99% of the brides then were virgins and have never known any man, in fact it was a taboo traditionally to give out a non virgin wvman as a bide then.

Over the years civilization have changed alot of things where wvmen feel they’re now more powerful and have grown beyond being accountable to their families and can literally do whatever they like with their lives and bodies.

At this point, I think it’s fraudulent for families to keep insisting that non virgin wvmen should keep enjoying the same traditional marriage benefits as older generational virtuous wvmen that kept their virginity for their husbands.

The government and traditional leaders need to look into this critical issues, non virgin wvmen should be given out in marriage for a token or for free, while virgin wvmen should keep enjoying the full traditional marriage rites of previous generations.

These is the only way we can hold our wvmen accountable and also encourage them to become like the biblical virtuous wvmen like Esther and Rebecca.

As a man, I will feel cheated if I have to pay millions of naira to marry a non virgin wvmen, exactly the same amount of money and expenses that my father paid for my mum as a young fresh virgin wvmen in the early 90s.

I know some persons will disagree with me but!

If this girl is not a virgin, IT WILL NEVER BE WELL WITH THE GIRL, THE PERSON THAT PREPARED THE LIST, HER ENTIRE FAMILY AND VILLAGE PEOPLE.

ALSO, ANY MAN WHO GOES THIS FAR FOR A USED PRODUCT AND LEFTOVER GIRL, IT WILL ALSO NOT BE WELL WITH HIM.

AMEN.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by jojothaiv(m): 6:11pm On Dec 14, 2022
You're actually right!
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Denoh68: 6:20pm On Dec 14, 2022
CRY IDIOT, CRY FOREVER. BASTARD. YOU AND IGBO BE MATES.
sammirano:
Everything is money to an Igbo man. No values, that's why many of their young men are languishing in various prison facilities across the globe. They need to meet the obnoxious cultural demands of a simple thing as marrying a wife. God bless the Yoruba race.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Jossibest(m): 7:13pm On Dec 14, 2022
Thank you for bringing this to the public.....
It happen in one of the African country were after buying all the things in the list and you will buy cow as Bride price but the government of that country later enter into the Matter and things became easy for men who are due for marriage.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by EduBrazil1991(m): 7:33pm On Dec 14, 2022
Marriage ceremony is determined by the status of whoever is getting married.

Many will say that the bride price or marriage stuff is high in the East and I ask, are poor people not getting married in the East.

There are no places where marriage laws are followed 100%.

It all depends on who's involved.

My Papa still dey owe his inlaws sef�
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by harmony75: 11:40pm On Dec 14, 2022
Yes it is a good idea since the tradition is not getting it right government of every state should make a law put the lowest percentage for marriage rites. Greed had destroyed the beauty of our tradition young men go into crime just bc there's no one to fight these evil of high bride price. Most men and women are already old just bc they cannot afford high demands of our traditional marriage rite.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Speedition: 6:53am On Dec 15, 2022
It's pretty simple, this list was issued by a greedy family and accepted by a father who accepts this sort of evil in the family and community. No father who loved her daughter will allow his family to issue such outrageous list to his intending in law.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Geesaintagape: 9:40am On Dec 15, 2022
My brother no one force to marry.
My brother went for his marriage introduction, on seeing the family my brother excused himself and left and never went back again
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by lozanni(m): 10:10am On Dec 15, 2022
Odunharry:
Wahala no dey finish. I think the problem atimes does not come from the girls immediate family, but the extended family and village people who demand all sort of things from the husband to be.

You really understand the problem. The village chiefs and elders need to ensure that the huge demands of the villagers are pruned down drastically
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Karleb(m): 10:13am On Dec 15, 2022
First, learn the correct spelling of women.

This is generally igbo people problem, when we try to make them realize how this is wrong they tell us it's because they are not cheap, and it's tradition unlike some tribe where their woman is cheap, mostly Yoruba and hausa in this case. undecided

So, how can the government help when na una cultural heritage?
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by kawkab: 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2022
hairyman:
I think the lists are fine the way they are.

I doubt that they are meant to represent the woman's value. I see them more as a representation of a man's commitment to the journey he is about to embark on.

If the virginity part is relevant to you, then find only virgin women or a virgin woman to perform the rites for.

The western culture made marriage very easy to enter...and very easy to exit, moreso for women who can always get a lot of money from the man and probably a new husband in a short while. The result is that the family is nearly an extinct basic unit of their society.

Here a woman will think thrice before leaving because there will hardly be any man willing to commit to such a humongous list on her behalf anymore. A man, also, will not leave easily because to go through this process again is daunting!.
Ergo we learn to sort things out rather than go our ways. We also learn to deal with the reality that 'happily ever after" is nonsense. Marriage was never designed for that. Its a union in which spouses owe each other and their offsprings certain responsibilities which they must strive to fulfill. Interestingly, when they fulfill these responsibilities, things generally work out fine.

I got married during my NYSC. Even then the only grace my in-laws kindred gave me was to allow me pay for these in batches.
This system is common these days too.
And I agree with it. I agree that these lists might do well with a bit of review to weed out frivolities. But I certainly believe that they should never be scrapped.

In reference to the economic condition of the country, the tradition used to be that a poor man who cannot fulfill this responsibility is aided by his kindred. This makes sense because a poor man requires external aid to care for both his wife and the eventual offsprings. His kindred, by aiding his fulfillment of the commitment, is tacitly stating that they will be there to aid him in caring for his family.
This implies that we need to bring back out sense of community, something that has all but disappeared from our society.

But marriage lists....they should stay.

Bros, your understanding is quite deep. A lot of people miss out the point. You nailed it 100%
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by JoeNL22(m): 9:35pm On Dec 15, 2022
etrouble:

So the duties of the President of Biafra include reviewing marriage list. Is that what the president and PM of US, UK, Canada, Australia are doing to develop their nations? No wonder all Biafrans ran down to Lagos to sell Gala and La Casera inside Lagos holdups and sleep under Lagos bridges
Insane Nigerian!......shut up!.....your mouth is oozing of outright foolishness and nonsensical rubbish. #YourAreTalkingInARubbish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? / Man Declines Family’s Sanction On Wife’s Adulterous Act In Delta / How Do You Resolve Conflicts/disagreements With Your Spouse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.