Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,421 members, 7,894,779 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 03:27 PM

My Study Abroad (USA) Journey 2020-2022 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Study Abroad (USA) Journey 2020-2022 (2995 Views)

Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree Scholarship (2020-2022) / How Can I Improve My Study Skills? / 50+ SCHOLARSHIPS TO STUDY ABROAD {USA} {UK} {AUSTRALIA} {CANADA} {EUROPE} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Study Abroad (USA) Journey 2020-2022 by Eniola54: 9:33am On May 05, 2023
Hi, please can anyone add me to Abuja and Lagos date search for visa date
Thank you
Re: My Study Abroad (USA) Journey 2020-2022 by AmaUwana(f): 2:44am On Sep 22, 2023
Thanks alot I really learned
Re: My Study Abroad (USA) Journey 2020-2022 by VeeInsider: 10:18pm On Jun 29
tiaraLOVE:
Which brings me to the end of my story!

PS: My intention with this thread is not precisely to educate, there are so many threads on Nairaland that already do justice to the US Study abroad topic. But if you are a good reader, I am sure you must have gotten some valid information here.

I thought to share my story, in hopes that it encourages someone who plans to pursue an undergraduate/graduate program abroad especially in the USA.

Be strategic, start early, and have faith in God!

It's December 2022, and I have successfully completed my first semester.

It has been new, crazy (good crazy), and different. The educational system abroad is very different. Everything here is different. The opportunities I have enjoyed so far and the US system leaves me with a number of culture shocks.

It's like starting all over again, or being given a second chance to make your life what you want from it in a system that is supportive and cares about your growth.

All in all, I am happy I made the move. I am so grateful to God because honestly if it were based on my grades, or whatever else. I wouldn't be here. Which makes it a testimony!

Thank you for staying with me! (Big Smile)

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope you're doing great over there.
Re: My Study Abroad (USA) Journey 2020-2022 by professore(m): 2:03pm On Jul 08
tiaraLOVE:
Hmm..where do I begin?

This is more of a testimony than a story. But somehow, I hope it encourages someone out there.

I cannot help but look back with gratitude in my heart. I remember when I was planning, praying and working for everything I have now. I never even thought I would get here, I just believed for it.

It all started in 2020, Canada express entry was a huge rave and every professional seemed to be preparing to Japa to Canada. I just started working the previous year, straight out of NYSC, and had barely even started my career. I knew I wanted to relocate out of Nigeria but I didn't know how.

Right from when I was in undergrad, I always nursed the ambition to pursue a masters abroad. However, I never knew how to go about it. To make matters "worse", I graduated with a 2.2, so technically I was out of the scholarship range. Every scholarship requirement had the, " Must have a first class or 2.1 and exhibit great leadership qualities" bla la blue

I just gave up abeg. Next thing I blinked and almost 5 years was gone.

Anyways, back to the story.

So, I was working but still continued to nurse that ambition to travel abroad.

Canada was on my mind because it sounded like the perfect way to go. However, I didn't have a masters and everytime I checked my crs score, omo, it was not encouraging. Next thing, the pandemic hit and the world was on lockdown.

I want to pause and say that information is power. Knowledge is key. What you don't know, you don't know. But if you want to know, you will know!

Back to my story.

In 2020, I made the decision to start working towards my study abroad plans. I stumbled upon some amazing Nigerians on twitter who were studying abroad- US, Canada, Europe. I started following them all, I started researching, watching youtube videos, I was soaking up all the free information online.

One particular tweet opened my eyes to the possibilities of studying abroad and gave me the confidence to pursue my dreams.

A particular lady on twitter, Ann on Demand, once said that despite finishing from school with a 2.2 she was able to further her studies in the US, fully funded and now a professor teaching in a school in the States.

I started gathering all the information I needed, researching schools and their requirements. I already knew the program I wanted to pursue which was in line with my career, and I started actively following all the japa/study abroad gang on twitter. The way I used to unwrap, unroll and dissect threads then ehn. I left no stone unturned seeking for relevant knowledge. I had a notebook for schools, deadlines, requirements, checklists. True true, if you don't read or like googling things, a lot of information will be hidden to you.

Towards the end of 2020, I had most of the information I needed, and I knew I was ready to set the ball rolling. I took my first step..

To be Continued soon.
Congratulations Tiara! Can you help me come to the USA for MSc?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ajeromi Ifelodun High School Olodi Apapa Sign / . / 12 Attractive Nigerian Universities Where You Can Apply For Postgraduate Program

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.