Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,725 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:24 AM

Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking (10150 Views)

Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo) / An Investment Banking Career: A Thread for Questions, Advice & Vacancies / The Recruitment Process Of The Big Four Accounting Firms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by damzy88: 7:43pm On Dec 19, 2022
Asour:

Some might argue that IB adds little value to the world too.
It's just a cash-grab underwriting endeavour.

value is heavily subjective.
God bless you.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by dynigoche: 8:18pm On Dec 19, 2022
Tax is gradually been Automated and very soon most of the staff will become redundant.... I know what i am saying... Just leep b4 you Jump
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by TheExclusive: 8:51pm On Dec 19, 2022
Annahh:
Become an investment banker. I know people that left big4 to become investment bankers. There is money in that career. Get ready to pass your CFA sha.
Please Is it compulsory to have CFA to do and progress in investment banking? Can an ACCA do investment banking?
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Annahh(f): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2022
TheExclusive:

Please Is it compulsory to have CFA to do and progress in investment banking? Can an ACCA do investment banking?
You need CFA to progress as an investment banker.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ucheicon(m): 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2022
Anyone who tells you to choose tax over investment banking is mad. Investment banking is the apogee of the career in finance
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ucheicon(m): 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2022
Annahh:
Not true. Even aca or acca suffices. But getting the CFA qualification is very good. An MBA from the top business schools in the world is best

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Annahh(f): 10:11pm On Dec 19, 2022
ucheicon:

Not true. Even aca or acca suffices. But getting the CFA qualification is very good. An MBA from the top business schools in the world is best
It easier to pass MBa than CFa, go and ask questions.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by TheExclusive: 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2022
Annahh:
Meaning CFA determines promotion?
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by LINSAR: 2:02am On Dec 20, 2022
Kaysalas:
Good day all, please how relevant is the Chartered institute of stockbrokers certificate to the investment banking industry here in Nigeria?
Annahh do you have knowledge about this?

Also, can one with Chartered institute of stockbrokers certificate work in the Big 4?

cc ednut1
gly2ken
Danielrex
Emmasquare2

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Annahh(f): 3:05am On Dec 20, 2022
LINSAR:

Annahh do you have knowledge about this?

Also, can one with Chartered institute of stockbrokers certificate work in the Big 4?

cc ednut1
gly2ken
Danielrex
Emmasquare2
Big 4 needs ican or Acca but you can enter and start writing Acca.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by ucheicon(m): 6:12am On Dec 20, 2022
Annahh:
It easier to pass MBa than CFa, go and ask questions.
So it's easier to get Harvard,Wharton,nyu MBA,Yale,Oxford,instead,Cambridge,Fuqua MBA etc than cfa?The major requirement is actually having experience and starting early. For example,if you don't have prior experience of investment banking before a top MBA,it's very difficult for investment banking/PE/Venture capital to recruit you from a top MBA program.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Fabulouslouie(m): 7:54am On Dec 20, 2022
Informative thread...

Here to learn from you all

Please I write quality blog posts and long copy. Hire me do your writing at an affordable rate.

Shalom
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Danielrex(m): 8:41am On Dec 20, 2022
I personally don't buy the CISB certification, in my opinion i see it as very restricted and limited. it doesn't really give you very many options in finance.
i maybe wrong, but i think most CISB holders are already experienced stockbrokers that need the extra certification to either elevate in their current or prospective position, have their own firm or for the good old bragging right.
Not very many entry and mid-level stockbrokers hold the certification.
What i am trying to say in essence is, as an entry level professional still finding his path in the ever dynamic and interrelated world of finance certifications from the CFA, ICAN, ACCA gives you broader access.
Some CFA holders held certifications from ICAN and ACCA and only got into the CFA to further cement their competence in finance (Most likely when they had moved from routine accounting/audit/financial reporting and similar roles)
So, my guy, i no fit tell u wetin to do oo, but e go beta make u go do ICAN, ACCA or CFA. i intentionally ranked them in this order consider cost and global acceptability.
CFA, ICAN and ACCA holder can work in stockbroking, but i don't think CISB holder can work competently and comfortably in Investment Banking, Audit and Accounting.
All this are in my opinion.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by lajid: 8:38am On Dec 22, 2022
Treassured:
Audit anyday anytime. That's my line.

You do audit in a big four?
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Danielrex(m): 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2023
The CISB accreditation only applies to stocks and securities trading; it may not be applicable in the investment banking world.
ICAN/ACCA may (or should) continue to fly, in my opinion, because part of their course content would be useful in the investment banking practice.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Danielrex(m): 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2023
I honestly believe that having (passing) academic degrees is far easier than professional certificates.
If you've tried ICAN or ACCA, you'll agree that it's a completely different ballgame than your BSc experience.
This is not to disparage MScs and MBAs, but I believe academic programs have a more casual and easy-to-understand approach, whereas most professional certifications require a high level of discipline and self-motivation to begin, attempt, and ultimately qualify.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Zihno: 10:24pm On Feb 06, 2023
ucheicon:
So it's easier to get Harvard,Wharton,nyu MBA,Yale,Oxford,instead,Cambridge,Fuqua MBA etc than cfa?The major requirement is actually having experience and starting early. For example,if you don't have prior experience of investment banking before a top MBA,it's very difficult for investment banking/PE/Venture capital to recruit you from a top MBA program.

Old thread but Yale SOM isn’t regarded in the industry. A HSW (Harvard, Stanford and Wharton MBA) will open unimaginable doors.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Zihno: 10:25pm On Feb 06, 2023
Danielrex:
I honestly believe that having (passing) academic degrees is far easier than professional certificates.
If you've tried ICAN or ACCA, you'll agree that it's a completely different ballgame than your BSc experience.
This is not to disparage MScs and MBAs, but I believe academic programs have a more casual and easy-to-understand approach, whereas most professional certifications require a high level of discipline and self-motivation to begin, attempt, and ultimately qualify.

MBA programs are not reputed for their academic rigor. It is more for networking.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Danielrex(m): 10:56am On Feb 07, 2023
Zihno:

MBA programs are not reputed for their academic rigor. It is more for networking.

I fully agree with you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Wants To Be A Bus Conductor For Life? / CJN Bars Judges From Uploading Personal Pictures On Social Media / Diamond Bank, Groups In Face-off Over Workers’ Retrenchment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.