Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,408 members, 7,881,502 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:32 PM

My Coconut Farm Experience - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Coconut Farm Experience (32222 Views)

My Farm Experience And Cost / Details About Coconut Farm / Why Are My Coconut Trees Breaking At The Top? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by 43Ronin: 10:23am On Dec 29, 2022
umuna:

Yes I know. That is the reason I went for dwarf and hybrid seedlings which can start fruiting within 3-4years max. Also people in oil palm plantation also waits.

The idea is long term investment!
Its worth it bro. Think I will do same with unused land
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Dshocker(m): 10:38am On Dec 29, 2022
umuna:

I plan to sell them sir and I see it as a cash crop investment. Manufacturers in Lagos and Kano alone travels as far as Ghana to import coconut. The value chain is huge brother!

So how much are we looking at?
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 11:00am On Dec 29, 2022
Dshocker:

So how much are we looking at?

It is not yet time sir. cool
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Eastcoastboy(m): 3:27pm On Dec 29, 2022
rickleye:

Thanks for the advice. That's perfect for me.
We can sign a legal document that i lease the land to you for 10 years.

This should be directed to the OP tho. I'm not in Ogun.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 5:26pm On Dec 30, 2022
Dukeolumidemans:

This is a good path. God bless ur handwork my brother.

Thanks brother!
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by middlebelter(m): 11:02pm On Dec 30, 2022
umuna:

I have seen dwarf of 2 years but it is not possible for you to get 160 fruits in a year. But one thing I know of, as the tree matures with good care, it's fruiting might increase. For example, my practice tree in my compound started fruiting 3 and half years. During it's first year, it gave 3 coconuts only. 2nd year we got 16. The 3rd year we got 36 coconus. This year agot 45 coconuts.

Buttom line: as they age, it brings more fruits and you have to fertilize and apply manure.

Where did you buy the seedlings ? Can you share the contact? And perhaps more information about the 2 years gestation period.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 9:03pm On Dec 31, 2022
middlebelter:

Where did you buy the seedlings ? Can you share the contact? And perhaps more information about the 2 years gestation period.

Dear middlebelter,

I got the seed from Choba in Rivers State and I nursed it myself and if you need some, please let me know and we shall nurse for you.
To me it is unethical sharing someone's contact details on social media platform (s) when he/she has refused to give me permission to do so.

There are no explanation again concerning the two years coconut than that it fruits in two years sir.

Please see attached pictures of my 2yrs dwarf tree. Planted 11/02/22.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by rainmoredays: 8:28pm On Jan 05, 2023
rainmoredays:
I am actually in Ogun state too.
Could you link me with your seller, I need like 5 seedlings.
I to be precise.
got my coconuts delivered to me. Thanks umuna

1 Like

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2023
rainmoredays:
got my coconuts delivered to me. Thanks umuna

Thanks for your trust and patience!
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by anjilgreat(f): 8:30am On Jan 06, 2023
Good info you are sharing here @ umuna, thanks

Please what can be done to a coconut tree of almost 7 years and not bearing fruit yet?

I'll love to plant 2 dwaf coconuts in my compound, I'll contact you to send to my location during the raining season this year
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 10:15am On Jan 06, 2023
anjilgreat:
Good info you are sharing here @ umuna, thanks

Please what can be done to a coconut tree of almost 7 years and not bearing fruit yet?

I'll love to plant 2 dwaf coconuts in my compound, I'll contact you to send to my location during the raining season this year

@anjigreat
Thanks and you are welcome to my thread!

Typically, there are three types of coconuts that I know of and they are:

1. The local breed type (which may take between 9 to 12 years before fruiting starts and they may survive for 80 to 100yrs)

2. The Hybrid (which is a crossing of the local breed and dwarf breed which takes 3 to 4years before fruiting. They could survive for 50 to 60yrs. The Hybrid produces more and bigger seeds.

3. The dwarf breed which fruiting period ranges from 2, 3 and 4 years as the case maybe.

So it is likely you planted the local breed. But not with standing, all you need do is, measure one and the half feet's away from the coconut tree, dig a ring round the tree, apply edible salt (250gr) with a lot of manure, cover with sand and water very well before raining season. Try and be doing this every 3months to see if the situation will change.

No problem, whenever you are ready for the seedlings, I will be of assistance. Also, we shall advise you on how to plant it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by anjilgreat(f): 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2023
umuna:

@anjigreat
Thanks and you are welcome to my thread!

Typically, there are three types of coconuts that I know of and they are:

1. The local breed type (which may take between 9 to 12 years before fruiting starts and they may survive for 80 to 100yrs)

2. The Hybrid (which is a crossing of the local breed and dwarf breed which takes 3 to 4years before fruiting. They could survive for 50 to 60yrs. The Hybrid produces more and bigger seeds.

3. The dwarf breed which fruiting period ranges from 2, 3 and 4 years as the case maybe.

So it is likely you planted the local breed. But not with standing, all you need do is, measure one and the half feet's away from the coconut tree, dig a ring round the tree, apply edible salt (250gr) with a lot of manure, cover with sand and water very well before raining season. Try and be doing this every 3months to see if the situation will change.

No problem, whenever you are ready for the seedlings, I will be of assistance. Also, we shall advise you on how to plant it.

The coconut is actually the hybrid (agric breed) and not the local one, that's why I'm worried that it has not started bearing fruits.

Thank you very much for the solution, I'll do as advised
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 7:54pm On Jan 06, 2023
anjilgreat:

The coconut is actually the hybrid (agric breed) and not the local one, that's why I'm worried that it has not started bearing fruits.

Thank you very much for the solution, I'll do as advised

You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 7:03pm On Jan 22, 2023
dominique:

But there are some coconut plants that don't produce fruits. I know of someone that planted coconuts in his main house and rental house which was just on the next street. The one in his main house never bore fruits while the one in the rental house bore hundreds of coconuts till the tree wore out. The tenants just dey enjoy free coconuts cos the landlord no too get wahala. We were told that it the male and female coconut seeds are identical (just like pawpaw) and one won't know the difference till they get to the fruiting stage.

As I told you that I will take pictures of dwarf coconuts growing side by side and producing fruits.

You can also watch the video on the YouTube link below. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXkMqSXE9Fk

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 10:33pm On Apr 03, 2023
After adding salt and manure to our coconut, this is what we got.

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by rainmoredays: 1:07pm On Apr 08, 2023
Finally planted my coconuts
We hope for the best

3 Likes

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Theanchor: 3:57pm On Apr 14, 2023
rainmoredays:
We hope for the best
Great! What spacing did you use?
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Omoka1999: 4:48pm On Apr 14, 2023
Op Weldon.The coconut have no protection from grascutters .or their are no grascutters there¿
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 5:40pm On Apr 15, 2023
Omoka1999:
Op Weldon.The coconut have no protection from grascutters .or their are no grascutters there¿

There are grasscutters. I noticed they kept attacking just 4 among my coconuts.

To save the young coconut from grasscutter attacks, get wire, cute some woods and make a triangular pen round the coconut.

I will make a video of this once I visit my farm.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 5:42pm On Apr 15, 2023
rainmoredays:
We hope for the best

Well done brother!
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by rainmoredays: 7:21pm On Apr 15, 2023
Theanchor:

Great! What spacing did you use?

3 x 3 feet
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by rainmoredays: 7:23pm On Apr 15, 2023
Planted this in the year 2021.

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by bennito: 8:19am On Apr 16, 2023
umuna:

There are grasscutters. I noticed they kept attacking just 4 among my coconuts.

To save the young coconut from grasscutter attacks, get wire, cute some woods and make a triangular pen round the coconut.

I will make a video of this once I visit my farm.
Waiting for the video. Op, thanks for this educative thread.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Lukuluku69(m): 4:28pm On Apr 16, 2023
umuna:

Good morning Dear,
I perfectly understand what you are saying. It is not that it a young tree parsay, due to lack of nutrients and water to carry the load. So the tree had to shed fruits to take what it can carry. I did experienced this too.

I travelled home in September this year, I observed that, the local folks that have coconuts usually tied ropes and red clothes to stop this shedding of fruits (their beliefs) and to them, they said it works.

How to solve this problem is by digging a ring round the coconut, measuring 1 and the 1/2 feet's away from the tree. Apply 250grs of edible salt(#100) in a ring form, apply enough manure(either dried cow dung or chicken waste); water it very well . You can be doing this twice in a year and observe the effects. Also, most coconuts fruit in dry season and requires alot of water. This might sound funny,if you have rusted zincs/irons put them by the base of the coconut and water.

That is the reason most coconut farms are sited close to the sea, river or marshy areas for maximum productivity

Alternatively if you have money, you can buy fertilizer with 15-15-15 mark and apply 20gr in a ring form (first 3month)

Good Day Sir,

Just Chicken poo and lot of water. See the result

1 Like

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 4:36pm On Apr 16, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Good Day Sir,

Just Chicken poo and lot of water. See the result

Thanks man! I never knew many nairalanders do follow my thread and suggestions. The effects are so wonderful!

Coconut that I usually get 38- 40 fruits yearly, this year from what we have counted, we should be expecting more than 100 fruits.

Do you know that using salts increases the size of the nuts too?

3 Likes

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 4:41pm On Apr 16, 2023
bennito:

Thanks 😊. I will do so.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Lukuluku69(m): 5:06pm On Apr 16, 2023
umuna:

Thanks man! I never knew many nairalanders do follow my thread and suggestions. The effects are so wonderful!

Coconut that I usually get 38- 40 fruits yearly, this year from what we have counted, we should be expecting more than 100 fruits.

Do you know that using salts increases the size of the nuts too?

Last Fruiting Season (The first) I had only Four Coconuts.

This season ( the Flower clutches appeared in late November 2022) I can see almost 60 Coconuts already and counting...

And yes I added Table salt some Feet away from the Plant in a circle.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 6:13pm On Apr 16, 2023
bennito:

You are welcome brother.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2023
Lukuluku69:

Last Fruiting Season (The first) I had only Four Coconuts.

This season ( the Flower clutches appeared in late November 2022) I can see almost 60 Coconuts already and counting...

And yes I added Table salt some Feet away from the Plant in a circle.

Cheers!

Thanks man! Please can you share your location to enrich the thread? Much appreciated.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by umuna(m): 6:18pm On Apr 16, 2023
rainmoredays:
Planted this in the year 2021.

Nice. Also trim and clean the old branches.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by Lukuluku69(m): 7:07pm On Apr 16, 2023
umuna:

Thanks man! Please can you share your location to enrich the thread? Much appreciated.

Iyana-Ira. Inward Badagry.
Re: My Coconut Farm Experience by rainmoredays: 7:19pm On Apr 16, 2023
Hello Masters

Can I add salt and manure at the same time?

cc: umuna

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ogun To Start Sale Of Mass Ofada Rice (Photos) / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? / Rice Farmers Harvesting Rice In Their Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.