Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,693 members, 7,879,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 11:30 AM

Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria (25903 Views)

Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating / Unmarried Mothers To Be Fined In Chinese City To Cut Size Of Population (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by BigBenoski(m): 8:44am On Sep 04, 2011
whatever ur thoughts are, make sure ph is not in it. Even if na u b d governor, ur children must still sneak out of d govrenment house go spoil well well.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by olawalebabs(m): 8:49am On Sep 04, 2011
I'll suggest ilorin. It has all the needed component to raise a good family. Talk about exposure level, education and the spiritual aspect of life.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by 76Naira(m): 9:09am On Sep 04, 2011
In any city you find yourself, stay in the good part of it & decide how your home turns out.
Raising kids in a good way takes the dad & mom making some major decisions on what to do.

1 Like

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by bodescous: 9:09am On Sep 04, 2011
Maiduguri,
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by moremi2008(m): 9:16am On Sep 04, 2011
Ibadan by far, it's only an hour away from Lagos and has affordable property and great schools (you can buy a giant mansion in the poshest parts like Alalubosa for about 30-50 million naira and send your kids to relatively inexpensive schools like ISI, Lifeforte or Christ Ambassadors). It's a bit sleepy though (compared to Lagos or Abuja) but it's hands-down the best big-city alternative to Lagos.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Anvaller: 9:21am On Sep 04, 2011
if u are considering Abeokuta for no cogent reason than to just pick a city in the s/west, I would advise u to pick Ibadan instead. Ibadan is relatively cheaper to live in compared with Abeokuta. U have more choices for nice neighborhood (estates) than there are in Abeokuta. A school of the same quality would surely be priced higher in Abeokuta

It is possible for you to have everything you want in Ibadan, from school for ur kid, to your own Job, to shopping, to clubbing e.t.c without having any business in the very notorious areas that scares many who knows nothing about Ibadan apart from what thy read on newspaper or forums like this.

U need to look for a house and a nearby school in areas in the axis of[b] Agodi-G.R.A/Ikolaba, Old/New Bodija,
Other axis- Akobo (be careful, the far end of Akobo might be a far proximity to the metro area therefore, look close to the general gas area) [/b]
Bashorun is also very good with a lively mixture of the rich and the middle class. U may check in other places like Oluyole estate/extension, Moor plantation G.R.A others are (Iyaganku, Alalubosa/Aleshinloye etc) If u are the type that likes to relate with ur neighbours, u may not like any of these places as ppl are mostly locked within their compounds, You know naija stuff now?

Felele layout is another good end, very lively area where gate or no gate, neighbours relate with neighbours.  It is generally a middle class neighbourhood, it might be possible for u to find a nice flat with not so exorbitant price but u have to watch ur kid very closely because there is a relative mix of bad influences in Felele. For example from my own opinion, Felele is the headquarter of Yahoo boys in Ibadan (Don't know if the situation has changed but in the early 2000s, u will be scared at the pace of yahoo boys and wild girls in Felele but there also good girls there pls dont misunderstand me.

If u however would like to stick to Abeokuta, goodluck, if u are able to find a nice place, it might not be very bad decision also.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 04, 2011
The neighbourhood, school and family are the biggest factors, not necessarily the city. I spent a large part of my childhood in the north –amazing.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by okunboy: 9:29am On Sep 04, 2011
This is a very good topic. I am currently faced with this decision. I relocated my family from Maiduguri and they are presently staying with my mother In-law in Ogun-lagos Boundary. I am also planning to move with them as soon as I conclude my leaving my work in maiduguri. So Where will I settle them? I had chosen Ilorin initially. Why? I was born in Ilorin, did my childhood, so I know the terrain very well. The cost of living in that city is also very reasonable. However, I am faced with two factors; one, Ilorin may not have the kind of exposure I intend for my family, level of business is not ok for me,  two, I am doing a business which requires my physical presence in either, maiduguri, Ibadan, or Lagos. I ruled out Ibadan cos of incessant armed robbery cases (I wont run for boko haram gun in maiduguri only to be confronted with robbers guns in another city). Finally, I am sticking my tent in Lagos, not my will though, but my current situation.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by berepiki(m): 9:31am On Sep 04, 2011
the best place to be is ph city baby, if dn't like my post plz go n dance wit mj in hell grin cool[b][/b]braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by lwise(m): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2011
The best place dat i know is Akure.The city is so cool n beautiful almost all the roads are tard.This is where I c grown up girls still kneeling down for ppl older than them even if they ar nt related.Its a peaceful city with littl or no stress movin around even with ur car.With 100k a month,ure surelly one of d biggest guy in town.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by NatGas(m): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2011
WARri is definitely the best bet.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by moremi2008(m): 9:45am On Sep 04, 2011
okunboy:

This is a very good topic. I am currently faced with this decision. I relocated my family from Maiduguri and they are presently staying with my mother In-law in Ogun-lagos Boundary. I am also planning to move with them as soon as I conclude my leaving my work in maiduguri. So Where will I settle them? I had chosen Ilorin initially. Why? I was born in Ilorin, did my childhood, so I know the terrain very well. The cost of living in that city is also very reasonable. However, I am faced with two factors; one, Ilorin may not have the kind of exposure I intend for my family, level of business is not ok for me,  two, I am doing a business which requires my physical presence in either, maiduguri, Ibadan, or Lagos. I ruled out Ibadan cos of incessant armed robbery cases (I wont run for boko haram gun in maiduguri only to be confronted with robbers guns in another city). Finally, I am sticking my tent in Lagos, not my will though, but my current situation.

Armed Robbery cases? When? I have only heard of a car thefts and bank robberies here and there but that also happens in almost all big cities in Nigeria.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by rhymz(m): 9:59am On Sep 04, 2011
If I were to consider exposure, Lagos would have been my best bet, however, factors like cost of living, decent but cheap neighborhood, good road network(lets be honest Lagos is lacking it even with the whole fashola craze), space and conducive environment, Lagos should not be considered at all.
Enugu like somebody suggested is ok but you are not from the southeast so no need suggesting that. May be Ibadan or Abeokuta like you are considering aint bad afterall.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by 195(f): 10:16am On Sep 04, 2011
what bout London
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by ZE: 10:25am On Sep 04, 2011
Owerri, Enugu and Calabar
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Merc: 10:26am On Sep 04, 2011
For me it's Maiduguri or Jos
grin
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Dgunnerz(m): 10:27am On Sep 04, 2011
190_@:

what bout London  
Where is that Located In Nigerea?
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by 195(f): 10:35am On Sep 04, 2011
Dgunnerz:

Where is that Located In Nigerea?

near markudi undecided
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 10:37am On Sep 04, 2011
@OP
Apart from bringing up your children, what other factors are you considering eg Jobs, night life, business, accomodation  etc. That will enable us give you more indepth analysis.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by mallorca(m): 10:44am On Sep 04, 2011
Lokoja
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Oracle(m): 10:55am On Sep 04, 2011
When a child grows, itz not the town or city that impacts values into em, itz the people that live in them.
All you have to do as a parent is to ensure you influence the child in the most positive way possible, environmental factors exist because of the people in them.

1 Like

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by LRNZH(m): 10:56am On Sep 04, 2011
At the moment it would be Abuja if you have good resource to rent or own a decent property.

This is because it has close to adequate infrastructure but hasn't developed the full trappings of a congested city like Lagos or a troubled city like Port Harcourt.
Secondly it is cosmopolitan enough unlike Enugu, Ibadan or Kano.

In the past, Jos, Calabar (maybe Owerri) and Kaduna would have been the places to live in. Religious riots, neglect, insecurity and cultism have changed these.
I would like to see Ilorin before I pass judgment on hearsay.

Thinking about it, the Nigerian situation alongside her cities has deteriorated with time I must say.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by garnetty(m): 10:58am On Sep 04, 2011
Aside from the regrettable security situations in some part of the country, raising a family anywhere depends largely on your social status i.e. Good job, good environment, access to basic infrastructures including good school and affordable health services. What ultimately makes your family begins with you i.e. Good morals, discipline, quality time around your kids and adherence to the tenets of your religion. All these have a rub-off effects on the upbringing of your family. The choice is largely yours. The society or the environment you find yourself is only there to shapen it for good or bad.  he society or the environment you find yourself is only there to shapen it for good or bad.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Dsage1: 11:26am On Sep 04, 2011
@op,if u're not morally sound enough as a father to train ur children,dont raise ur dem here in lagos o.Though business ar movng but pple here ar highly exposed to nonsense,such as abortion,prostitute,cheating,arrogant,stupidity,fornication,thugary,lies&oda form of immorality.In education,i dnt tink dey ar better dan children from oda state.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by tEsLim(m): 11:27am On Sep 04, 2011
Lagos outskirts and GRA's. You dont want you kid's growing up and talking with oyo/ibadan ara oke accents. Or an Aboki accent. I guess Lagosians and MIddle Belt are the least accented people. Well it depends on pocket settle where you can afford. SIMPLE. And while they are growing the can have a taste of different cultures and overall exposure

1 Like

Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Babamide(m): 11:28am On Sep 04, 2011
Ilorin. Calm, peaceful, developed, affordable and it is home to one of the best universities in Nigeria,
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by mikymouse1(m): 11:30am On Sep 04, 2011
Abuja is the place, for one it's central and you can easily reach any part of the country either by air or road.b
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by promire2004(f): 11:33am On Sep 04, 2011
i fink enugu, asaba, some parts of lagos are just kool 4 raising kids. But most importantly, parents-children relationship matters most!
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by ismaeel86(m): 11:38am On Sep 04, 2011
There is no city in Nigeria that you cant raise kids, the whole thing depend on you; the parent. how you train your kids at home will determine how they behave or relate with people outside. I know a family here in UK, that brought up their children teaching them both western and islamic values, these kids are very respectful, they are not rude like what you expect from most children brought up in the UK and they are very religious cos the girls are always wearing the veil all the time and they dont miss their five daily prayers. these were all achieved due to the discipline and morals instilled to them by their parents. Raising up kids is a difficult task therefore parents should be ready to take up that challenge. Parent should also not rely much on what their children is thought in school, they should try to help their children with their assignments and also give them tutorials on their school work too. i remember when i was in primary school, i was always ahead of my mates cos my dad always teach me many things that we have not even done in class, and this helped me a lot.
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Sholaf(f): 11:42am On Sep 04, 2011
Badagry West is by far the best place to live and raise a family. The surroundings are peaceful and serene.  Land is affordable.
The opening  of the Badagry Express Road and the Lagos Metro will accelerate development (and property prices)
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by Dgunnerz(m): 11:46am On Sep 04, 2011
190_@:

near markudi undecided
I think U were raised there!
Is it good for my Unborn Pikins?
Re: Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria by MMM2(m): 11:56am On Sep 04, 2011
ABA angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Don't Want To Live A Normal Lifestyle: Study, Work, Marry, Have Children..etc / Love, Sex, Marriage & Family Life / Why You Shouldn't Marry A Lady Raised By A Single Parent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.