Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,270 members, 7,887,790 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:51 PM

Advice On Msc Studies - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice On Msc Studies (1437 Views)

Any Body With Ptdf Past Questions On Msc Hse / Need Advice On Msc Choice. Pls Help / Pls Advice On Msc Course To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Msc Studies by deolu2000(m): 2:53pm On Sep 03, 2011
Please Nlandrs,am currently an undergraduate of Ind.chem and will be through God willing next year.please i want advices on suitable M.sc fields that is market compatible(job opportunities) in Nig. and how much it could cost to run the studies.thanks and God bless.
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by AjanleKoko: 2:57pm On Sep 03, 2011
You can pursue a postgraduate in chemical engineering, petroleum engineering or any of the related courses.
That's directly related to the energy industry, whether upstream or downstream.
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by deolu2000(m): 4:27pm On Sep 03, 2011
Thanks,but am not the best in mathematics(pure calculations) but applied calculations are usually not a problem after abit more work,would still suggest i look in the direction of engeering courses?
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by AjanleKoko: 4:36pm On Sep 03, 2011
deolu2000:

Thanks,but am not the best in mathematics(pure calculations) but applied calculations are usually not a problem after abit more work,would still suggest i look in the direction of engeering courses?

So how are you able to survive in Industrial Chemistry , if you can't cope with mathematics?
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by deolu2000(m): 8:47pm On Sep 03, 2011
Broda,am best in chemistry n related studies,bt in Ind.chem u do strictly applied calculations like kinetics,mass tranfer,heat tranfer,unit operations and other application mathematics.but i gues in engineering fields maybe it's nt like that.could you please feature this on the main page so i can get more opinions.thanks
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by AjanleKoko: 9:03pm On Sep 03, 2011
deolu2000:

Broda,am best in chemistry n related studies,bt in Ind.chem u do strictly applied calculations like kinetics,mass tranfer,heat tranfer,unit operations and other application mathematics.but i gues in engineering fields maybe it's nt like that.could you please feature this on the main page so i can get more opinions.thanks

Bros,
Apologies but its not up to me to determine what goes on the front page.
However, let's look in more detail at your question. Truth is, the oil industry is the closest thing to career fulfilment in Nigeria. So it is logical for you to look at a career in that area. And i am surprised that a science person is running away from calculations. How will you cope as a scientist, in any postgraduate program?

1 Like

Re: Advice On Msc Studies by deolu2000(m): 9:25pm On Sep 03, 2011
God forbid,why will i run from calculations,ind.chem is a replical of chem engineering and have survived real well,what is ur field so i can know who am talking to better.
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by violent(m): 10:11pm On Sep 03, 2011
Insert Quote
Please Nlandrs,am currently an undergraduate of Ind.chem and will be through God willing next year.please i want advices on suitable M.sc fields that is market compatible(job opportunities) in Nig. and how much it could cost to run the studies.thanks and God bless.

It appears from  your post that you re currently studying for a degree but you have absolutely no idea what to do with your life, you'd just like to hear opinions on "Market compatible" MSc fields (wtf is market compatible?) . . you have absolutely no idea how a Masters could add value to your life or your current specialization, all you just want is to get a "Market compatible" Masters (again, wtf is market compatible?).

You seriously need to think of what you'd like to do with your life child, there's an old adage that says "Only dead fishes swim with the stream".  Think about yourself, your strength and weaknesses, what you want out of life, and then think about how you feel obtaining a masters could bring you closer to achieving these personal goals.
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by deolu2000(m): 10:57pm On Sep 03, 2011
@violent:sir/bro,i quite appreciate how frank your comment were,well what i meant by "market compatible" is just a M.sc field that will boost my chances in the labour market thats all and i remember i enclosed "employment opportunities".my little knowledge tells me to always think ahead and thats why am sorting for advices and i blve smbdy that knows not what to do with his life wont do that.your "advice" will never the less be important and crusial all the same.thanks
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by AjanleKoko: 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2011
deolu2000:

God forbid,why will i run from calculations,ind.chem is a replical of chem engineering and have survived real well,what is your field so i can know who am talking to better.

You wan shakara me abi? grin

Okay, no wahala. I have a Bsc and Msc in electrical and electronic engineering.
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by violent(m): 11:21pm On Sep 03, 2011
Answer these questions as best and as honest as you can;

-- What do you enjoy about what you re studying at the moment?

--  How easy have you found your course so far?

-- Which one of these would you rather be; . . a research scientist? an entrepreneur?  a wealthy contractor? an employee in a Multinational corp? a government employee?

--- I'm sure you must have had experience working on an Industrial attachment, I'd presume this must be in a sector relating to your current specialty.  Would you be happy working at that role on a more permanent basis?

-- Do you enjoy playing around things outside your current specialty such as; programming, project management, fashion, FOREX trading, stock market investments, advising people personal/business problems, making deals, helping your parents in their business? etc etc?

--- Who makes the most important decisions on your career?  daddy? mummy?  both? you? sisters/brothers?. . .

PS;  These questions are geared to draw out your strengths and motivating factors and properly advise you on what could potentially be best for you
Re: Advice On Msc Studies by deolu2000(m): 1:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
@ajanleko:when i dnt knw you,wats d shakara abt.i jst wntd to knw dts all.
@violent:in my current studies,what i enjoy the most is knowing abt processes/ways that are involved in several productions and industries.wel,nothing is easy but i find Ind.chem suitable cos of my interest in chemistry bt never the less it has its own challenges.i wil probably want to be involved in production on a very large scale be it food,oil fabrication,pharmarceticals,etc.hv got flair for ICT but am relatively a novice at diz time.well i make my choice of studies after consulting with learned people.gues thats all.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make A Bad Day Better / Ican Tutorials / Arm Young Talent Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.