Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,280 members, 7,936,862 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 05:18 AM

My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar (26360 Views)

My Trip From Lagos To Ethiopia, Kenya And Mauritius Island / Lagos Ferry To Start Operations In November - See What The Ferries Look Like / Ikorodu-Mile 12 Road: Crowd At The Ikorodu Ferry Terminal Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:16am On Jan 06, 2023
aieromon:

Well detailed. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:17am On Jan 06, 2023
aieromon:

Did you get permission to take these pictures?
No, unfortunately. I just took them on my own will.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by EmiDon11: 10:18am On Jan 06, 2023
ahnie:
I love adventures like this.... hopefully I would embark on one soonest,not undermining the fact that m aquaphobic.

Nice one kingreignz
while going,pls dont forget life jacket.
We dont want to loose u.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:22am On Jan 06, 2023
EmiDon11:
while going,pls dont forget life jacket.
We dont want to loose u.

Life jackets may or may not help one float. It’s only for easy identification of bodies during rescue mission.

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by aieromon(m): 10:22am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
I observed the pier was made of ‘L’ shaped steel members painted and woods were used as walking path, and chemical drums tied together acted as floating platforms which felt unsteady and slightly bouncy. However, we were made to walk to the platform and into the ferry in group of 3 persons so as not to upset the platform.

Passenger capacity?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Foodie1(m): 10:26am On Jan 06, 2023
Omo where una dey get mind to enter water, I can't try this, even ordinary gutter sef dey scare me, what if the mami water wey dey inside that water come vex??

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by baretalk: 10:28am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
The vessel itself was built in Nigeria by SERRIACRAFT LIMITED, EPE, LAGOS cool which had a sitting capacity of 30 passengers and was made from Fibreglass composite materials to help with weight reduction and buoyancy. The craft had twin Yamaha F200 outboard motors which by the way are 2.0L i4 4cycle engines putting out 200hp at the shaft and each motor was capable of 60 knots each; So, the combined outputs was 400shp
This is commendable.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 10:33am On Jan 06, 2023
obiekunie01:

oga kingreign!

IF THEM LIKE MAKE THEM BRING DSS JOIN FOR SECURITY!

I NO ENTER!!

You see how you confirm my point up there ba!
common gangway fa! wey them suppose make am strong very well BUT THEM LEAVE AM TO DEY FLOAT!
THEN ANY MISTAKE YOU BECOME FISH FOOD! GOD FORBID!

I NO GO NEAR WATER FOR ANY REASON!

To cross mainland bridge self i dey close my eyes tight talk more of to go enter boat! no be me!

Bros na Lagos you dey
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 10:41am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

The only water craft I may not wish to be in is a speedboat or a small canoe paddled by human efforts. shocked

Bro's you try,

I fear those waters than anything, I fear them pass woman self,

But it get times, one had no choice but to travel through them,

Those speed boats, I had ac9travel in them from Kirikiri to cotonue, Omo I was busy singing and praying in my heart throughout the ride cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by RichAbujaGuy: 10:42am On Jan 06, 2023
Excellent thread King and thanks for sharing this wonderful experience! smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by nesphil(m): 10:44am On Jan 06, 2023
Yea, it's possible but will take longer time than going from Oron to Calabar

Sam119:
OP Nice one. So thrilling.

I was in Akwa-Ibom last year in November, Eastern Obollo to be precise. There was a large body of water I saw there. Can one get to Calabar using that route?

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:44am On Jan 06, 2023
aieromon:

Passenger capacity?

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:45am On Jan 06, 2023
Dear fear

Foodie1:
Omo where una dey get mind to enter water, I can't try this, even ordinary gutter sef dey scare me, what if the mami water wey dey inside that water come vex??
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 10:46am On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

Bro's you try,

I fear those waters than anything, I fear them pass woman self,

But it get times, one had no choice but to travel through them,

Those speed boats, I had ac9travel in them from Kirikiri to cotonue, Omo I was busy singing and praying in my heart throughout the ride cheesy

cheesy grin
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 10:50am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

cheesy grin

Am telling you bro,

now am trying to get used to them, But it's still those speed boats, I had been using when going out on a Job,

my Oga had even became aware about me being afraid of water,

And Am working as an Apprentice to Marine Communication equipment

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Lanshile(m): 10:50am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Let's do a quick data collection of road accidents vs water and air accidents. You'd find out that a water and air are way safer than road
Yeah but the chance of surviving the 2 modes of transportation is extremely low when there is an accident
The reason why there are so many road accident is resting on the fact that there are so many commuters moving to different destination at the same time and their is chance of accident occuring from this case but the survival rate is higher than the 2
If a car malfunction u can come down and call ur mechanic
If a plane has an engine defect on the air with no airport closeby their will be problem likewise if their is a leakage in a boat or ship or a case of bad weather this is always fatal with 0-1 survival in comparison to road.
The day flying object becomes a norms in the world for transportation just like cars will be d day u will see it isn't as safe.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by nesphil(m): 10:54am On Jan 06, 2023
A life jacket can help keep one afloat only if you know how to use it.

It's one of the many Life-Saving Appliances that are mandatory for use onboard by the IMO International Convention for the Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS'74) as amended.

kingreign:

Life jackets may or may not help one float. It’s only for easy identification of bodies during rescue missions.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 10:58am On Jan 06, 2023
Lanshile:

Yeah but the chance of surviving the 2 modes of transportation is extremely low when there is an accident
The reason why there are so many road accident is resting on the fact that there are so many commuters moving to different destination at the same time and their is chance of accident occuring from this case but the survival rate is higher than the 2
If a car malfunction u can come down and call ur mechanic
If a plane has an engine defect on the air with no airport closeby their will be problem likewise if their is a leakage in a boat or ship or a case of bad weather this is always fatal with 0-1 survival in comparison to road.
The day flying object becomes a norms in the world for transportation just like cars will be d day u will see it isn't as safe.

Do you know how many planes have had an engine defect and successfully completed their journeys? Do you know how many planes fly daily and how road trips pales in comparison to air trips? Boat and Air trips and way way safer than road trips. How many road vehicles are road worthy?

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 10:59am On Jan 06, 2023
I LLLLOVE THIS KIND OF JOURNEY. OP, thanks for the entertainment and I really appreciate your knowledge of the vessel mechanism and operation. Please OP and anyone here who has an idea, is there water transportation for places like Lagos to Port-harcourt, Lagos-Asaba e.t.c.?

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 11:00am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Lol! You should try a pontoon bridge. Went to my village for the first time May last year. Had the shock of my life when we got to a point and we had to disembark and get on a pontoon. Pontoon controlled by a young boy and an old man. I'm not an Olympic swimmer although I'm comfortable in water and can get on my back to stay afloat. I was scared stiff on the 5 minute ride across the river because in my experience, the undercurrents in those river are never revealed by their seemingly calm surface

Is your Village in the South South. Delta state to be sure
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Mimizebi(f): 11:03am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

The only water craft I may not wish to be in is a speedboat or a small canoe paddled by human efforts. shocked
I used speed boat from Nembe to Brass (Bayelsa State) hmm it was not funny at all and it was my first time using water transportation

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2023
nesphil:
A life jacket can help keep one afloat only if you know how to use it.

It's one of the many Life-Saving Appliances that are mandatory for use onboard by the IMO International Convention for the Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS'74) as amended.

Okay. Thanks for informing me.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2023
Mimizebi:
I used speed boat from Nembe to Brass (Bayelsa State) hmm it was not funny at all and it was my first time using water transportation

Na you know Wetin you find go enter speed boat.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:11am On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
I LLLLOVE THIS KIND OF JOURNEY. OP, thanks for the entertainment and I really appreciate your knowledge of the vessel mechanism and operation. Please OP and anyone here who has an idea, is there water transportation for places like Lagos to Port-harcourt, Lagos-Asaba e.t.c.?

I don’t know. But I think there should be, however, why would anyone wish to under take such risk?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:12am On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

Am telling you bro,

now am trying to get used to them, But it's still those speed boats, I had been using when going out on a Job,

my Oga had even became aware about me being afraid of water,

And Am working as an Apprentice to Marine Communication equipment

Nice career you’re undertaking bro!

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 11:15am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Nice career you’re undertaking bro!

Thanks, it's my sincere hope to make it

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 11:17am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

I don’t know. But I think there should be, however, why would anyone wish to under take such risk?

There is, but I don't think either states, had explore such,

From what I heard from my late Dad, about my mum late Dad, Both came to Lagos by canoe

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 11:18am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

By risk, what do you mean?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:19am On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
By risk, what do you mean?

Taking a boat or ferry ride from Lagos to PH is very risky. Kidnapping, Sea Piracy and Robbery, Cold, malaria, sea sickness, etc

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by nesphil(m): 11:21am On Jan 06, 2023
I must commend you Kingreign for sharing your experience on this trip here with us.

I've used that route in the recent past for up to ten(10) good times via speed boat.

I can tell you my experiences and how risky the trips were as at that time, either due to the nature of the speed boats, or the nonchalant attitude of the coxswain or the seastead.

In fact, in one of those 10 times, our speed got spoiled in the middle of the water and we were at the mercy of God and that of the current and waves until God brought one empty speed boat our way and we were trans-shifted into the boat, and we made our way back to Oron where we came from.

Another terrible experience was when I traveled from Oron to Tinapa for a training workshop, in the middle of that water our speed boat nearly broke into two, and water started gushing in, one of us had to take a scooper and scoop water out of the boat throughout the remaining part of that trip, everyone was scared and only pray that we made it to land safely, and thank God we made it to Tinapa safely. This was my last trip via this route, and that was in 2017.

But with this Ferry Service, I believe it's much safer to use this route from now henceforth.

I have also used speed boats and ferries to cross from CMS to Apapa several times in Lagos.

kingreign:
Hello family,
Just decided to share my ferry trip with you guys.
I have always been fascinated by boat rides but i never really took part in any boat ride which lasted over 10mins due to the horrible stories I heard about water transportation.
But on December 30th I made a few enquiries from people about the possibility of taking a boat ride from Akwa Ibom to Calabar. I was given mixed answers. I decided to summon courage and take on this thrilling journey for the fun of it.

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 11:23am On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

There is, but I don't think either states, had explore such,

From what I heard from my late Dad, about my mum late Dad, Both came to Lagos by canoe
Canoe? Haba! Stop play joor. Talk better jare.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:23am On Jan 06, 2023
nesphil:
I must commend you Kingreign for sharing your experience on this trip here with us.

I've used that route in the recent past for up to ten(10) good times via speed boat.

I can tell you my experiences and how risky the trips were as at that time, either due to the nature of the speed boats, or the nonchalant attitude of the coxswain or the seastead.

In fact, in one of those 10 times, our speed got spoiled in the middle of the water and we were at the mercy of God and that of the current and waves until God brought one empty speed boat our way and we were trans-shifted into the boat, and we made our way back to Oron where we came from.

Another terrible experience was when I traveled from Oron to Tinapa for a training workshop, in the middle of that water our speed boat nearly broke into two, and water started gushing in, one of us had to take a scooper and scoop water out of the boat throughout the remaining part of that trip, everyone was scared and only pray that we made it to land safely, and thank God we made it to Tinapa safely. This was my last trip via this route, and that was in 2017.

But with this Ferry Service, I believe it's much safer to use this route from now henceforth.

I have also used speed boats and ferries to cross from CMS to Apapa several times in Lagos.

You’ve got tons of experiences with water transport. I’m jealous of your good and lovely experiences, but the rather unpleasant experiences, I don’t want grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of Terminals 1 & 2 Of Iwo Road Bus Interchange By Seyi Makinde(pix) / Pregnant Woman Dies In An Accident On Zamfara Road ( Graphic Photos) / Container Truck Falls On Honda Accord, Near Lagos (PHOTOS)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.