Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,400 members, 7,908,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 08:49 PM

I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor (1044 Views)

How Did You Land You First Job As A Self-taught Developer? / Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by sqlPAIN: 10:18pm On Jan 07, 2023
When people begin to see the field of medicine the way dey see programming now, Na that time you go dey hear joke's like "I'm I self-taught medical doctor.. Na that time people go begin dey ask stoopid questions like " do I need a degree to become a medical doctor? "

Honestly I feel like companies need to start prioritising have a degree in computer science before employing anyone for any SWE or SWD role to curb all these nonsenses..
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by qtguru(m): 11:01pm On Jan 07, 2023
TastyFriedPussy you're now in medicals ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by silento(m): 11:16pm On Jan 07, 2023
Op dey confused pass buhari
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:39pm On Jan 07, 2023
You still dey do this thing in 2023. Na wa o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by valzey(m): 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2023
Are you having difficulties finding a job? Ask for help, you don't need to bash other people hustle because you're unable to compete. After all, aren't they doing the job?

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by qtguru(m): 2:36am On Jan 08, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
You still dey do this thing in 2023. Na wa o.

I've never seen such in all my life. I think he seeks joy in people failing.
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by truthCoder: 6:36am On Jan 08, 2023
qtguru:

I've never seen such in all my life. I think he seeks joy in people failing.

Its his only way to vent.

In real life, he would be one runt that possibly shares everything except toothbrush.

He is also in his growing years, not necessarily in age but in exposure.

He got his first laptop ever just last year and had to do a lot of menial jobs for it. He first came to NL using other monikers to beg for one but was not fortunate which is possibly why he hates the older developers.

He has an elder brother too. The one whose web-phallus cannot deflower an ant yet calls himself great.

Both of them have around 10 monikers combined in a bid to act different but their similar gibberish gives them away.

7 Likes

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by airsaylongcome: 9:26am On Jan 08, 2023
truthCoder:

Its his only way to vent.

In real life, he would be one runt that possibly shares everything except toothbrush.

He is also in his growing years, not necessarily in age but in exposure.

He got his first laptop ever just last year and had to do a lot of menial jobs for it. He first came to NL using other monikers to beg for one but was not fortunate which is possibly why he hates the older developers.

He has an elder brother too. The one whose web-phallus cannot deflower an ant yet calls himself great.

Both of them have around 10 monikers combined in a bid to act different but their similar gibberish gives them away.

We still having this battle?
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by airsaylongcome: 9:29am On Jan 08, 2023
While a lot of people are talking down the OP, I think he is making some salient points. The need to standardize and professionalize the field. Back in the dark ages “surgeons” were roadside apprentices to other “surgeons” who had also learnt surgery “on the streets”. After plenty failed “butchering”, surgery had to be professionalized.

Think about it, would you have a self-trained doc diagnose and treat you? Would you allow a self-trained engineer build your house?

Edit:
On the flip side though, some of the greatest frauds have been performed by the best trained professionals. Enron quickly comes to mind

2 Likes

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 08, 2023
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by truthCoder: 12:44pm On Jan 08, 2023
airsaylongcome:
While a lot of people are talking down the OP, I think he is making some salient points. The need to standardize and professionalize the field. Back in the dark ages “surgeons” were roadside apprentices to other “surgeons” who had also learnt surgery “on the streets”. After plenty failed “butchering”, surgery had to be professionalized.

Think about it, would you have a self-trained doc diagnose and treat you? Would you allow a self-trained engineer build your house?

Edit:
On the flip side though, some of the greatest frauds have been performed by the best trained professionals. Enron quickly comes to mind

Tech is about innovation.

Innovation knows no school walls or regimental schedules.

The best innovators are actually people who question the existing system and bypass all standard procedures just to get to the solutions faster and more efficiently.

Computer Science as an academic discipline is great and we would continue to need its advancements. However, there must be the space for the rustic goal getter who doesn’t have a PhD but has a unique set of skills for clobbering up the next big thing.

1 Like

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by Donpre(m): 1:35pm On Jan 08, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Edit:
Actually he makes no point and I didn't want to have to feed the troll by adding a comment to his thread

Professional fields are standardized for a reason, so people have a reference point, an assurance of quality of some sort not because any of those fields can't be learnt outside the boundaries of a standardized institution. Even medicine can be learnt by just picking up and reading the books and then trail and error with patients but that is costly, inefficient and dangerous.
Same with every field out there, it can be learnt and everyone can be a self-taught anything they want.

Even CS has standards, the degree, oracle cert, AWS, GCP certs, Salesforce admin cert etc. Some jobs require them and some don't.
The field is standardized and the reason self-taught get jobs is because the companies don't care for the certs but the knowledge.

It becomes annoying when someone who is neither an employer of labor or a certified professional in the field creates such a thread. Like? How exactly does someone so insignificant in the CS gets to decide who the gates are closed to

Final words: AI will take all our jobs anyway, so what's the point. grin

5 Likes

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by airsaylongcome: 3:59pm On Jan 08, 2023
truthCoder:

Tech is about innovation.

Innovation knows no school walls or regimental schedules.

The best innovators are actually people who question the existing system and bypass all standard procedures just to get to the solutions faster and more efficiently.

Computer Science as an academic discipline is great and we would continue to need its advancements. However, there must be the space for the rustic goal getter who doesn’t have a PhD but has a unique set of skills for clobbering up the next big thing.

So Tech is a vast field covering not just Computing and IT but all science fields. Does innovation mean not having the barest minimum professional training. A lot of us are rushing to get into coding and dev. But are we also aware that it's actually a "factory job" and that the people that command the highest pay are those in leadership positions with degrees in Business Administration, Finance and the likes?

I'm not asking that everyone in tech must be a CS grad. Far from it. I'm saying, maybe like accounting, computing can develop a standard body of knowledge that practitioners must go through to practice the profession. Accounting is an all-comers profession. You don't even need a university degree to become accountant. But nowhere on earth can someone claim to be an account without passing their country's chartered account exam, whether that is ICAN in Nigeria, or ICAEW in England or CPA in the US. It's not gate keeping. It's having minimum standards

1 Like

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by Ajibade123(m): 6:00pm On Jan 08, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Edit:
If you know that account very well on this section, you won't even bother to deep his post
all he does is to troll peoplw
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by airsaylongcome: 6:10pm On Jan 08, 2023
Ajibade123:

If you know that account very well on this section, you won't even bother to deep his post
all he does is to troll peoplw

Off course I know the moniker with their many alts.
Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by truthCoder: 6:41pm On Jan 08, 2023
airsaylongcome:

So Tech is a vast field covering not just Computing and IT but all science fields. Does innovation mean not having the barest minimum professional training. A lot of us are rushing to get into coding and dev. But are we also aware that it's actually a "factory job" and that the people that command the highest pay are those in leadership positions with degrees in Business Administration, Finance and the likes?

I'm not asking that everyone in tech must be a CS grad. Far from it. I'm saying, maybe like accounting, computing can develop a standard body of knowledge that practitioners must go through to practice the profession. Accounting is an all-comers profession. You don't even need a university degree to become accountant. But nowhere on earth can someone claim to be an account without passing their country's chartered account exam, whether that is ICAN in Nigeria, or ICAEW in England or CPA in the US. It's not gate keeping. It's having minimum standards

What you are proposing is a sort of knowledge toll-gate controlled by a few, just like the chartered bodies.

Have you seen what some CTOs in some organizations do? They were smart during their young days and junior days and developed some VB6 tools for the organization so they stayed behind while others migrated to other places.

Now its the 2020s and they are now CTO and they look at every young one with an air of suspicion. They have prevented the migration of the codebase to something more efficient and modern.

They give lists of all their own qualifications as entry level requirements for junior roles.

Now imagine an association of these old CTOs coming together to form a body. How do you think that body would be run?

Do you really think such a body would advance the tech world or restrict it?

Mention one of the real tech founders in the world who would approve of such an association because he passed through such?

Yes, every tom, dick and harry is calling himself a web programmer or a coder now and thats the beauty of it.

There are some basic requirements for any role and if you have a young person who can meet it, why gate keeping the person?

It is about learning a language and speaking in that language. With the language, you can create your your own lyrics as you see it.

I work with a team with offices in some couple GCC countries. It is a completely international team with a forward looking CTO. Only a couple of CS grads and they pull their weight in their contributions and not by their CS degrees.

3 Likes

Re: I'm A Self-taught Medical Doctor by LikeAking: 11:06pm On Jan 08, 2023
sqlPAIN:
When people begin to see the field of medicine the way dey see programming now, Na that time you go dey hear joke's like "I'm I self-taught medical doctor.. Na that time people go begin dey ask stoopid questions like " do I need a degree to become a medical doctor? "

Honestly I feel like companies need to start prioritising have a degree in computer science before employing anyone for any SWE or SWD role to curb all these nonsenses..

Any how companies do. Guys go still survive.

Tech solves everybody's problem.. And the demand is so high.. Only CS gradd can't handle it... They need hands... Lots of hands.

Although CS gradd are ontop of the food chain.

(1) (Reply)

How To Deploy An Asp.net Web Application / Nigeria Technology Awards / When Last Did You INVENT?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.