Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,632 members, 7,901,944 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 06:03 PM

Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? (2186 Views)

5 Ways To Reduce Fuel Consumption / Does Driving Slower Save Fuel? / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 12:18pm On Jan 09, 2023
ITbomb:

What goes here is
Driving 60-80km/hr on gear 5 saves more fuel than driving 20-40km/hr on gear 2 or 3

The best rule is, keep your rpm at 2-2.5 (x1000) for optimal performance of your engine

I drive an automatic. My colleague drives the same type and configuration of vehicle. I have a better mpg than he does even though we both have no check engine malfunction lights on our dash. What I noticed was that our throttling patterns were different hence the discrepancies in mpg’s even though we commute roughly the same distance to work each day.

In my commute, from stand still, i accelerate to 2000 rpm and release pressure from my throttle pedal to force my gear to upshift to gear 2, I then throttle to 2000rpm again and release my leg from the throttle pedal to shift to gear 3 . . . Etc until I’m at the final gear. At my final gear I’m cruising at 3000 rpm doing roughly 120kmph. That is the sweetest spot for fuel consumption in gear 5 on my vehicle.

Now, if I wanted to drive faster than 120kmph I’d have to apply more throttle input to give the vehicle more fuel to increase speed to 130kmph and above, THAT IS THE ONLY TIME I BURN/waste fuel.

Now as for my colleague, in his own commute, from a standstill he accelerates continuously till he reaches the desired speed he wishes to cruise at. What he does is apply throttle input to 3000rpm where the brainbox/ecu then commands the transmission to upshift to gear 2 thereby wasting fuel between 2000rpm - 3000rpm , then he still keeps the same pressure on his throttle pedal which makes the engine accelerate to 3000rpm again to upshift to gear 3 . . . etc. what he achieves with this driving pattern is that he reaches a high speed faster than I do BUT he eventually is wasting his fuel in the process because he is driving in the city and not on the highway.

When I drive a manual vehicle I rarely use gear one except I’m in holdups or on very terrible roads riddled with deep potholes. On a level ground or going over regular speed bumps I am always on gear 2. One of my friends who has a manual vehicle commends the way I handle his car whenever he allows me drive him because he says his engine doesn’t sound as high as it usually does and I don’t use as much fuel as he does. Sometimes when I’m cruising at 30kmph he will be asking me what gear I’m on and I’d say gear 3 and he will marvel. He says he never imagined his vehicle can pull at such slow speeds on such a high gear. The sad thing is that after all the years I’ve been driving him and he has been observing me, whenever he gets behind the wheel he forgets everything I did and continues in his usual fashion of over revving his engine and driving on the lowest gear possible making the engine cry all the time and drink his fuel grin

It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks wink

4 Likes

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Musty4ahmed1: 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2023
buygala:

Most Nigerian Highways are not dual-carriage for you to have any "slow lane" to yourself..

That means most of the time while doing your 80km/hr, you are sitting and constituting nuisance in the only lane available to drivers going in the same direction that you are..

If you like, hear.. If you like no hear..
Please pardon my ignorance, I have actually been using MPH on my Odometer to read my speed not knowing that am wrong the 80MPH is actually 120Kph. Which means I have been overspeeding all this while I sometimes do 100MPH which is same as 140kph. Doing 80kph means am crawling that's about 50MPH. I have to recheck my speed today. Thanks for your understanding.
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 4:33pm On Jan 11, 2023
Musty4ahmed1:
Please pardon my ignorance, I have actually been using MPH on my Odometer to read my speed not knowing that am wrong the 80MPH is actually 120Kph. Which means I have been overspeeding all this while I sometimes do 100MPH which is same as 140kph. Doing 80kph means am crawling that's about 50MPH. I have to recheck my speed today. Thanks for your understanding.

No problem Sir..

But a mile is 1.6km..80mph= 130km/hr not 120 Sir

1 Like

Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by Musty4ahmed1: 6:29pm On Jan 11, 2023
buygala:

No problem Sir..

But a mile is 1.6km..80mph= 130km/hr to 120 Sir
I wonder why I am almost flying at 80MPH not knowing am doing 130kph. That is why I ignorantly argue that I will reach same destination with you at 80MPH when you do 120kph. I never knew that the Odometer on my car reads in miles and not kilometers. Thanks once again
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by bonnyhope: 10:43pm On Jan 11, 2023
buygala:

Driving too slowly is as dangerous as driving too fast on a highway..You stand a risk of being crushed from behind.

Doing 80kph on a highway constitutes a danger to you and other highway users.. In some countries, you can be ticketed for that or even arrested.

If you no fit do highway driving, park your car for house enter public transport, instead of endangering other people's life and yours on highway..

Oga even on the high way there is fast lane

So driving at 80km/h you don't expect to be seen on the fast lane.
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by buygala(m): 2:47am On Jan 12, 2023
bonnyhope:

Oga even on the high way there is fast lane

So driving at 80km/h you don't expect to be seen on the fast lane.

Most Nigerian Highways aren't dual carriage...

Inside face-me-i-face-you expressway, there is only one lane for vehicles going in each direction....

If you dey find slow Lane, go drive for your parlor
Re: Does Driving Slowly Reduce Fuel Consumption? by mejai(m): 4:03am On Jan 12, 2023
See wetin minister of petroleum cause... So many calculations because fuel don increase price grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets / Free Diagnostics Using Autel Maxi Sys Elite (july 7th Start Date) / My Car Tyre Was Stolen Overnight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.