Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,342 members, 7,888,086 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:02 PM

Joint Account With My Spouse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Joint Account With My Spouse? (5966 Views)

Poll: Joint account, separate account, or a combination of the two?

Joint Account Only: What is mine is yours, period.: 20% (14 votes)
Separate Accounts Only: let my money be mine and yours be yours.: 20% (14 votes)
Combination: Let's share part of our money and hold the rest separately.: 60% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least) / My Spouse Came To Embarrass Me At My Working Place / Do I Have To Confess My Adultery To My Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joint Account With My Spouse? by honeyzz(f): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2007
Been Listening to a lot of messages about the issue of having a joint account with your spouse/partner.This speakers make it seem like having a joint acct reflects the type of trust you've got going on in your relationship.Am not too comfortable with the idea because am a very independent person especially when it comes to my finances and tend to take some decisions as long as i feel its my money.if i have a joint account with my spouse am sure we would always have arguments on what to spend money on.so guys what do u think about having a joint acct with your spouse.please no insults on differing views please.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 27, 2007
Sweetheart, I have a joint account with my fiancee. I understand about your independence, and wanting to plan how you spend your money, but if you tell your spouse what your plans are, and you both trust each other, your independence will still remain intact.

I too like planning my money, although I see it more as "our money". My fiancee won't go out of her way to draw vast amounts of money from our account, and neither would I, we'd both disscuss where it goes. I was my idea for her to share my account, and make it ours.

You could always have a joint account, and a second sole one, if money's that important to you.

I could also have an account in my name only, as well as our joint one, if money means so much to me. The thing is, it's never been big a deal enough for me to go to the effort to have an extra sole account.

But hey, it's your choice, the way you manage your finances and relationship, and no one elses. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by uchetobi(f): 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2007
What is the exact aim of keeping a joint account, my dear have you not seen luv that is sweeter than homney turn to sour grapes, pls keep ur money by yourselves, it doesn’t mean u cant loan or dash the other party on a need to need basis
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by jkpretty(f): 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2007
i think this solely depends on two of u, many people don't find it easy. Its definitely not a measure for true love, but based on understanding. I think I'lld love to do that.

@siena that's really good
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 27, 2007
uchetobi:

What is the exact aim of keeping a joint account, my dear have you not seen love that is sweeter than homney turn to sour grapes, please keep your money by yourselves, it doesn’t mean u can't loan or dash the other party on a need to need basis

Sweetie, I understand your concerns. But, when you choose to get engaged / married, you're not thinking, "what if we split up?" You're thinking, it's for life.  smiley

I guess the same thing goes for bills - my fiancee and myself have our monthly / quarterly bills, but we see them more as joint bills, and they get paid. I'd hate for her to have to ask me for money each time she wanted to make a purchase, it's not great, it can lead to low morale, if one of you always has to ask the other for money!  shocked

As for "loaning", or "dashing", that's what you do with someone that's not really close to you, not your spouse!  shocked

You'd rather keep your money to yourself, that's fine. But on the other hand, it gives the impression, if it came to a choice between money, and your spouse, money would win.  sad
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by uchetobi(f): 5:46pm On Aug 27, 2007
Yeah thats not what am thinking but U and I know that many engagements have not led to marriage, many marriage has proved that always is not for ever
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by uchetobi(f): 5:50pm On Aug 27, 2007
Well iv bn dating d same guy for about 4 yrs now, I leave my atm card with him sometimes and vice versa, that is how comfortable we are with each other on money issues, he knws how much I earn, how I spend it and all, but I will still draw a line at a joint account cuz I don’t see the purpose, if it is to save for Our wedding or to show the other that I trust you or something? If he comes today and say Uche lets open an account me 99% you 1% il still say no, cuz I don’t see the point and two I’l rather be answerable to myself in the long run and two nobody knows tomorrow,
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2007
uchetobi:

Yeah thats not what am thinking but You and I know that many engagements have not led to marriage, many marriage has proved that always is not for ever

Point taken, Uche. But in the same vein, money doesn't always last forever, and having vast amounts doesn't always make one happy.

What use is having vast amounts of money, if you've no one to share it with? I'm not rich, but I'm comfortable financially, and if it came to being on my own, and being rich, or being with a woman who thinks the world of me, and being poor, then I'd rather be poor!

Choose your spouse / partner carefully, then you'd have no cause to worry about him / her doing a bunk with your hard earned cash.

Both my fiancee and myself have good jobs, so between us, we bring in a good steady income.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by uchetobi(f): 5:56pm On Aug 27, 2007
I had an uncle that his wife dint give birth to any child, their marriage is 23 yrs this yr, the guy was very rich, they were living large but later fortunes change, every money this woman got from her bros she handed it over to her husband for their joint account, at the end of 2005, the man wiped off the whle money and went to marry 2nd wife, apparently this woman he married in 2005, had his baby in 2004. This is a man everyone thought was here to stay cuz 21 yrs then was not a joke, POINT am making don’t hand over your life to anyone, love shouldn’t make you so crazy that if it forsook you or disappointed you you’l resort to living at the  BQ of an office (like it happened to my Uncle’s wife), yeah loose your heart but retain a little portion even if its 0.01% of your thinking faculties, living with a man for 30 years doesn’t make him any less of a stranger, That’s my take
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by uchetobi(f): 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2007
yeah I understand you, but I think you are missing my point, what am bringing in or you are bringing in doesn’t matter to me, but having it in the same account does it prove more or less of my luv 4u, or does it make me sharing or giving For all you knw he or she may not be keeping all his /her money in the account anyway. Then as per the “choose your spouse wisely advice do you think pple that divorce today dint choose carefully? When they made their choice they thought they hv found heaven
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by uchetobi(f): 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2007
and for the records I believe in luv, iv never bn heart broken before, infact all my life iv only dated one person whom I still luv very much and trust but I think there are better ways of proving my luv and trust, oops now iv hijacked the thread, sorry o! poster! Was just expressing my views, a little strongly I guess, but a poll should be built into this thread,
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2007
I'm not missing the point, Uche. Far from it.

If you were married, and you and your husband chose to buy a house together, won't you have a joint mortgage? I can't see how you can have seperate ones, unless you both buy 2 seperate houses in your respective names? Which would you then live in?  

The point I'm making here, isn't just about trust, or lack of it (although it is part of any relationship). The point I'm making is, you're in a partnership, and it makes perfect sense to share things in your lives. How can you both be together, yet lead entirely seperate lives under one roof?   Because, that's exactly what you'd be doing, apart from the obvious, like sex, children etc?  undecided
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by CrazyMan(m): 7:01pm On Aug 27, 2007
Hell No I can't do that
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ssRhino: 7:10pm On Aug 27, 2007
@CrazyKid, can u have a joint account with your wife, u are married and have kids together, can you open an account together as a family account?
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by CrazyMan(m): 7:33pm On Aug 27, 2007
No I can't do that. It would lead to unecessary argument in that house.
Whenever you need money, you have to inquire from her. And whenever she needs, she would also have to seek your permission. That's bondage. I can't be limited on how I should spend my own money. and to make matters worse, on some occasions, she might even tell you not to withdraw your own money.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Seun(m): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2007
The best approach is to put 50%of your salary in your joint account and hold the other 50%. I guarantee it! wink
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ssRhino: 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2007
CrazyKid, now i know that you are truely and crazily crazy, the day you marry, it is no more your money, it is the household money, and besides, i will blv that a real true wife will not tell you not to spend money, if she think what yuo spending on is reasonable, i am a man, and i am sure of the reason why we men, and pls notice the "we men" will not want a joint account is cos we dont wanna be traced, cos it will be easy for teh wife to be after your ass, when she realizes that you are withrawing some money and the money is not showing at home and no explainations for it, and meanwhile, that is what i called the "miliki funds' the kinda money you use in taking the babe out, so you wanna play safe, i do understand, but a woman that yuo can trust your life into her hands, what is in a joint account, i think it favours men more than the woman to have a joint account
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ssRhino: 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2007
Seun, at least you have tried
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by CrazyMan(m): 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2007
$$Rhino There's something you don't know. You friend today can become your enemy tomorrow because of money. Most women claim that men consume money a lot and because of that, the both parties may have to come to an agreement that each of them would be entitled too withdraw only three or four times in a month.

Now tell me the truth, isn't that bondage. Now suppose you need money urgently, and you've used up your life line (three or four months withdrawal) what would you do? And nowadays so many women don't seem to understand their men any more. They would begin to shout at you that you're cheating on them by not abiding by the rules of the game when you tell them that you've withdrawn money from the account.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 27, 2007
keep your money and i keep mine!
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ssRhino: 7:59pm On Aug 27, 2007
Crazykid, a home that is going thru that is truely having a big prob, i dont blv in puting a cap on how much i can withdraw or how many times i could in a month, i am the man and still will forever be the head of teh household ( doesnt mean she is lesser being than me), however,  if you have used up ur lifelines like u said, go to her, bribe her, do her good and make her feel special, cos that is what she is, i am so sure, she will even give yuo her own unused lifelines, let us face reality, we men spend too much money on things that can be avoided, like take out your lady friend out, and those gurls, they are free loaders and they will milk you, however, ladies do spend too sometimes, but they usually spend on what will make u as the husband feel good, like, they wil use the money on shoes and clothes and look good, that when you driving with her, you feel on top of the world, now tell me, Men's spending how will it edify the woman?
I rather have my woman take care of teh finance of the home rather than me, cos i am bad with spending, besides, she will know that when the money is there, we have fun and when it is not there, she wont nag, cos she is in charge of how we spend.
Can you give me of an example where you wanna use money for something reasonable, that your woman will say NO?
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by ssRhino: 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2007
IlugunBoy, would you ever go to that woman and beg her for money sometimes, after you have exhausted your own pay for the month?
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by bimbliss(f): 8:12pm On Aug 27, 2007
hmmmm
joint account, its a big issue for nigerian men oh!!!
anyway for the greedy and cloth freak ladies i know they will not support
but true love will always be in love with the things that bind u togther as one and not seperate entities in anyway even in account holding and finances
if u love each other so much even if the love dies i dont think u will regret it cos it will be that u enjoyed the relationship while it lasted
i think joint account will aid good investments that will build the family up and caution bad expenses that can ruin the family finances
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 27, 2007
bimbliss:

hmmmm
joint account, its a big issue for nigerian men oh!!!
anyway for the greedy and cloth freak ladies i know they will not support
but true love will always be in love with the things that bind u togther as one and not seperate entities in anyway even in account holding and finances
if u love each other so much even if the love dies i don't think u will regret it because it will be that u enjoyed the relationship while it lasted
i think joint account will aid good investments that will build the family up and caution bad expenses that can ruin the family finances

Sweetheart, that's the point exactly, I could kiss you! kiss
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by omoge(f): 9:17pm On Aug 27, 2007
Siena, you are a nice guy  cheesy. i think it is alright to have joint account.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by easimoni(m): 9:48pm On Aug 27, 2007
Best idea is to go both ways. Have separate accounts for your salaries (assuming you both work) or allowances (assuming only one person works) and have a joint account for "capital projects" e.g. buying a house/car, investing in the market or a business or saving for the future. You don't want a spouse monitoring every purchase as if you were a child. Also, set a limit above which the spouse MUST be consulted. I had to clear it with Mrs Easimoni about spending $600 on my PS3 (yes shameful for a 30 yr old, I know wink)  and I recently vetoed her $1500 LV bag (bought it for her b.day anyway, I'm sneaky like that)

Bottom line: If you don't like a man/woman's spending habits, DON'T marry him or her. once you do, curbing overspending is by negotiation only if you  want the marriage to work.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by presido1: 10:09pm On Aug 27, 2007
The issue is that if you as a man bring up the idea and she rejects it, the trust you have in her will shift slightly towards the negative side and vice-versa.
For me having joint account or individual account will go well as far as both of you understand each other. As easimoni put it you both can have the joint account for capital projects.
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by niceuzor: 10:11pm On Aug 27, 2007
omoge - O Girl Longest time Oh

Halla me make we yarn!!!
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by omoge(f): 10:20pm On Aug 27, 2007
hehehehehe common now forget me grin
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by presido1: 10:23pm On Aug 27, 2007
omoge:

hehehehehe common now forget me grin
niceuzor:

omoge - O Girl Longest time Oh

Halla me make we yarn!!!
is these the topic?
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by osisi5: 10:29pm On Aug 27, 2007
Before people start joining accounts,they should make sure they know their spouses well well.

I have heard too many sad stories of women who work their behinds off,picking up extra shifts
and working overtime only for the efulefu,good-for-nothing,jerry spinger-watching sperm donor to
withdraw the whole thing without letting her know

Poor woman wearing the same wig and managing just to save money while the man is sending western union to his folks,being the "man".

Ladies make sure the guy is a responsible person before you do any such thing,if not keep your money in your own account.
It is called having good common sense.
Some men ain't got it.

I guess the same may go for some women,a small number,I might add. grin
Re: Joint Account With My Spouse? by omoge(f): 10:32pm On Aug 27, 2007
LOL osisi wan kill me, with laughter o oh afo mo ooo lol

efulefus lol grin. so true hahahaha my sister.

I have heard too many sad stories of women who work their behinds off,picking up extra shifts
and working overtime only for the efulefu,good-for-nothing,jerry spinger-watching sperm donor to
withdraw the whole thing without letting her know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Stepmother Is Wicked / Can You Allow Your Wife Dress Like This At The Beach? 18+ / Checkout These Cute Twins Pictures - Lovely!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.