Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,369 members, 7,920,415 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 06:41 AM

Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb (553 Views)

Is My Files And Database Safe With Hosting Company? / Threaded/nested Comment System Using Mongodb / Free Customized Email Address Yourname@yourcompany.com With Hosting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by Raylight2(m): 6:39pm On Jan 10, 2023
I am developing a website and I think I made a mistake using mongoDB instead of MySQL. I said that because of the pricing when it comes to hosting. I am confused on what to do now. The site would have thousands of users when launched so I'd need a large storage. I have checked Atlas, AWS, DigitalOcean. their pricing drives cold down my spine. What do you suggest I do please?
Re: Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by truthCoder: 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
Raylight2:
I am developing a website and I think I made a mistake using mongoDB instead of MySQL. I said that because of the pricing when it comes to hosting. I am confused on what to do now. The site would have thousands of users when launched so I'd need a large storage. I have checked Atlas, AWS, DigitalOcean. their pricing drives cold down my spine. What do you suggest I do please?

If you can adapt to psql, consider using cockroach db.

It is a cloud based distributed SQL database. Free tier is generous.

I am currently building a project with an expected 250,000 MAU and we are using cockroach.
Re: Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by QuoteJustOnce: 1:32am On Jan 11, 2023
Raylight2:

Pump your brakes buddie.
Thousands of users don't translate to anything meaningful that would require a panic attack with regards to storage costs.
My first question would be:
Thousand of users doing what? i.e. what would these users be saving (adding, or storing) in your DB?
And how often are they doing what they are doing in terms of transactions per second?
And what would be the read-to-write ratio i.e are they always saving something or mostly just viewing something?
Re: Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by Raylight2(m): 12:46pm On Jan 11, 2023
QuoteJustOnce:

Pump your brakes buddie.
Thousands of users don't translate to anything meaningful that would require a panic attack with regards to storage costs.
My first question would be:
Thousand of users doing what? i.e. what would these users be saving (adding, or storing) in your DB?
And how often are they doing what they are doing in terms of transactions per second?
And what would be the read-to-write ratio i.e are they always saving something or mostly just viewing something?

Interacting. It's a social media platform
Re: Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by QuoteJustOnce: 7:31pm On Jan 11, 2023
Raylight2:

Interacting. It's a social media platform

MongoDB (Atlas) free version is good for you and free at 512MB RAM. By the time it starts to choke, you or whoever owns the app should be making enough to pay the next tier $9/mo 2GB RAM. You can see I am more concerned about RAM than ROM; because that will determine how many concurrent transactions can happen at the same time. Low ram == DB crashes
Or AWS DocumentDB (essentially MongoDB) free for 1 year on T3 Medium compute (2vCPU, 4GB RAM) and 5GB backup per month.
If after this time, you or whoever owns the app is still worried about paying for DB costs with an exponential surge in users (aka freeloaders) then water don pass garri. Good luck.
Re: Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by Raylight2(m): 9:13am On Jan 12, 2023
QuoteJustOnce:

MongoDB (Atlas) free version is good for you and free at 512MB RAM. By the time it starts to choke, you or whoever owns the app should be making enough to pay the next tier $9/mo 2GB RAM. You can see I am more concerned about RAM than ROM; because that will determine how many concurrent transactions can happen at the same time. Low ram == DB crashes
Or AWS DocumentDB (essentially MongoDB) free for 1 year on T3 Medium compute (2vCPU, 4GB RAM) and 5GB backup per month.
If after this time, you or whoever owns the app is still worried about paying for DB costs with an exponential surge in users (aka freeloaders) then water don pass garri. Good luck.

To avoid the water don pass garri part of your post, I'll opt for MySQL. I'll only switch from mongoose to sequelize. Better I do that now than having the app go crashing down. The number of users is unpredictable. The number of shares data is same. Let me go the safer route .
Re: Pricing Issue With Hosting A Mongodb by QuoteJustOnce: 9:35am On Jan 12, 2023
Better safe than sorry. However, if you are going to be having hundreds of thousands plus users; and worried about simple things as DB costs, I say you double check your business model. You aint' running a charity; are ya? grin grin
And where would you be hosting this MySQL instance? self-hosted or cloud-based?
what's the cost ratio Mysql:MongoDB?

(1) (Reply)

What TECH Can A Graphic Designer Learn In 2024 / A Professional Web Developer Needed Urgently / ☀join☀ Us Now Get Our Daily Offers And Promotion Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.