Stats: 3,182,462 members, 7,917,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:53 AM

Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force (1559 Views)

Sergei Surovikin, Russia War Commander Admits Kherson Situation ‘Very Difficult’ / Sergei Surovikin: Russia's 'Ruthless' General In-charge Of The Ukraine War / Russian Defence Minister, Sergei Shoigu Had Heart Attack After Speaking To Putin (2) (3) (4)

Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by obedience4(m): 9:19pm On Jan 11, 2023
President Vladimir Putin has removed Russia's top commander in Ukraine, three months after he was installed

Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov has been appointed to lead what Russia calls its "special military operation" against its neighbour.
He replaces Sergei Surovikin who has overseen Moscow's brutal attacks on Ukraine's energy infrastructure

The reshuffle comes as Russian forces say they are making progress in eastern Ukraine after months of setbacks.
Gen Gerasimov, who has been in post since 2012, is the longest-serving Russian chief of general staff of the post-Soviet era.
Gen Surovikin - now his deputy - has been dubbed "General Armageddon" for his brutal tactics in previous wars, including Russia's operations in Syria.
Shortly after he was appointed to lead the operation in October, Russia began its campaign to destroy Ukraine's energy infrastructure, leaving millions of Ukrainian civilians without heat or power for extended periods in the depths of winter. He also oversaw Russia's withdrawal from the city of Kherson - a major success for the Ukrainians

Russia's defence ministry said the decision to replace Gen Surovikin was aimed at organising "closer contact between different branches of the armed forces and improving the quality and effectiveness of the management of Russian forces".
But the move has been seen by some as a sign that he may have gained too much power.
"As the unified commander in Ukraine, Surovikin was becoming very powerful, and was likely bypassing [Russian Defence Minister Sergei] Shoigu and Gerasimov when talking to Putin," military analyst Rob Lee wrote on Twitter.

Some of Russia's hawkish military bloggers, who support the war but frequently criticise the way it is being carried out, have been highly critical of Russia's military leadership, including the new head of the special operation, Gen Gerasimov.
Wednesday's announcement comes as fighting continues in Soledar in eastern Ukraine.

The fall of Soledar may help Russian troops in their assault on the strategic city of Bakhmut, about 10km (6 miles) to the south-west, providing them with a secure artillery position within range of the city.
Soledar also has deep salt mines, which could be used to station troops and store equipment, protected from Ukrainian missiles.

Russia's mercenary Wagner Group has taken full credit for "storming" it.
On Tuesday night, the group's leader, Yevgeny Prigozhin, said his forces were in full control of Soledar. However, on Wednesday the Russian defence ministry released a statement appearing to contradict his claim - or that only Wagner group troops were involved

This led to Mr Prigozhin repeating the claim on Wednesday evening. In a short statement on Telegram, he boasted that his mercenaries had killed around 500 pro-Ukraine troops. "The whole city is littered with the corpses of Ukrainian soldiers," he wrote.
The apparent differences hint at divisions in Russia's military leadership, particularly between the Wagner Group and the defence ministry

For his part, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky denied that the city had fallen.
"The terrorist state and its propagandists are trying to pretend" to have achieved some successes in Soledar, Mr Zelensky said in his nightly address on Wednesday, "but the fighting continues"

"We do everything, without stopping for a single day, to strengthen Ukrainian defence. Our potential is growing," he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64235713

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by obedience4(m): 9:22pm On Jan 11, 2023
General Armageddon, has been sacked to deputy commander.. I thought he was the one destiny to led Russia into victory. grin

Wagner and the Russia military dragging propaganda victory in SALT city.. grin

I have never seem a military structure and organization so poorly done as the Russia military.
A over hype Soviet era trash..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Vl3ly: 9:30pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:
General Armageddon, has been sacked to deputy commander.. I thought he was the one destiny to led Russia into victory. grin

I have never seem a military structure and organization so poorly done as the Russia military.
e pain am

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Appleyard(m): 9:30pm On Jan 11, 2023
The excuse for the removal sound fishy to me. The man was making good progress on all fronts since he took over. This might be part of something sinister in the shadows or something much bigger to come. Who knows.

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Appleyard(m): 9:35pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:

Propaganda victory? Even the useless UK intelligence and media covens are admitting that Soledar is gone for good. cool

As much as I hate this war, it's folly to expect Ukraine to win against Russia. It will never happen in this world, or in the next to come. The earlier they reach a negotiated end the better for Ukraine.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Omahleigh(f): 9:39pm On Jan 11, 2023
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by obedience4(m): 9:42pm On Jan 11, 2023
Appleyard:

Propaganda victory? Even the useless UK intelligence and media covens are admitting that Soledar is gone for good. cool

As much as I hate this war, it's folly to expect Ukraine to win against Russia. It will never happen in this world, or in the next to come. The earlier they reach a negotiated end the better for Ukraine.

Soledar, a tiny Town, so you Putin boys are celebrating a tiny town in over 7 months,when the Ukrainians have driven the Russia from the east, advance In the south, drove the basted Russians from Kherson.

Ukraine won't win a normal war with Russia, the key is to make the war expensive both in human and material's for the Russia military..
The key folks is the weaken of Russia military and economically..

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by bassdow: 9:58pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:

Soledar, a tiny Town, so you Putin boys are celebrating a tiny town in over 7 months,when the Ukrainians have driven the Russia from the east, advance In the south, drove the basted Russians from Kherson.

Ukraine won't win a normal war with Russia, the key is to make the war expensive both in human and material's for the Russia military..

Hope you're very much aware Ukraine is the second-largest European country after Russia ?

Hope you're aware Ukraine is assisted both in Military infrastructure, and Soldiers as no be only Ukraine soldiers dey fight for battle field. At least US & EU soldiers (in form of mercenaries) dey there.

Hope you're very much aware Russia isn't really after destroying Ukraine, else they would have CarPert BOMBed (no need of anything Nuclear sef) them since.

Hope you're very much aware Russia is aware the WEST wants to weaken them, and they just knowing that means it never would be effective.

Hope you're aware in Ukraine, Russia has Air superiority and NATO have refused to declare a NoFlyZone because they don't want Russia Wahala. Now since you know Russia has Air superiority in Ukraine, I presume you know what that means also.

so a super TINY town just might be larger than Lagos after-all, TINY is relative

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by obedience4(m): 10:28pm On Jan 11, 2023
bassdow:

Hope you're very much aware Ukraine is the second-largest European country after Russia ?

Hope you're aware Ukraine is assisted both in Military infrastructure, and Soldiers as no be only Ukraine soldiers dey fight for battle field. At least US & EU soldiers (in form of mercenaries) dey there.

Hope you're very much aware Russia isn't really after destroying Ukraine, else they would have CarPert BOMBed (no need of anything Nuclear sef) them since.

Hope you're very much aware Russia is aware the WEST wants to weaken them, and they just knowing that means it never would be effective.

Baseless points, show me proof that USA or NATO troops are in Ukraine
You think the USA military is as poorly run ad the Russia military..

Carpets bombing my ass, how will Russia carpet bomb Ukraine when they don't have air supremacy over Ukraine. grin
Which air force will risks sending slow moving bombers into a contested airspace..
Russia can't and won't risk carpets bomb Ukraine.
Even when there so called 4 generation fighters can enter Ukrainian airspace instead firing missiles from Belarus airspace..

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Mrtaye: 10:35pm On Jan 11, 2023
Appleyard:

So why is mighty russia dragging, can't they finish up once and for all.....or is the war very difficult
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Mrtaye: 10:38pm On Jan 11, 2023
bassdow:

so a super TINY town just might be larger than Lagos after-all, TINY is relative
Thats lame excuses afterall russia has nuclear capability to end the whole world abi no be so
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by bassdow: 10:42pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:

Baseless points, show me proof that USA or NATO troops are in Ukraine
You think the USA military is as poorly run ad the Russia military..

Carpets bombing my ass, how will Russia carpet bomb Ukraine when they don't have air supremacy over Ukraine. grin
Which air force will risks sending slow moving bombers into a contested airspace..
Russia can't and won't risk carpets bomb Ukraine.
Even when there so called 4 generation fighters can enter Ukrainian airspace instead firing missiles from Belarus airspace..

Check recognized news media even the western news websites.

Also on few occasions, Russia has caught known US soldier(s) who claimed to be in Ukraine for something else.

How about the those USA soldiers Russia allowed to go scot free.

oh just checked google https://www.google.com/search?q=us+soldiers+caught+in+ukraine and saw this meaning there were much more than I knew about.

Atimes I just have fun responding to most people in here. Shebi na same people wey believe there's a superNatural BeInG in the Sky (as told to them by the fore-Fathers) but failed to believe that a siting President in Nigeria of their generation is still aLive.
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by bassdow: 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mrtaye:

So why is mighty russia dragging, can't they finish up once and for all.....or is the war very difficult

why kill a kidNapper you caught when you could strategically try to find the main person.

When you kill a streetLevel kidnapper, you have done nothing because the MMAIN perSon in charge would just have him/her replaced.

Russia knows Ukraine is only being used. the main parties are NATO, EU, and Western countries such as USA. Finishing off Ukraine wouldn't really solve the real problem. The main problem isn't Ukraine + Ukraine is like family to Russia.

In fact Russia would love to reIntegrate Ukraine as part of Russia sef

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by obedience4(m): 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2023
bassdow:

Check recognized news media even the western news websites.

Also on few occasions, Russia has caught known US soldier(s) who claimed to be in Ukraine for something else.

How about the those USA soldiers Russia allowed to go scot free.

oh just checked google https://www.google.com/search?q=us+soldiers+caught+in+ukraine and saw this meaning there were much more than I knew about.

Atimes I just have fun responding to most people in here. Shebi na same people wey believe there's a superNatural BeInG in the Sky (as told to them by the fore-Fathers) but failed to believe that a siting President in Nigeria of their generation is still aLive.

Man, I can't research what I know is a big fat lie..
Let just leave it as it is..
See you next time, when Putin is finally disgraced
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Appleyard(m): 10:49pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:

You're just being emotional, and that won't change the fact.

You're calling Soledar a small town? Do you even know how large Ukraine is on land mass? The town is part of the surrounding viscinity of Bakhmuth, the most defensively entrenched city in Ukraine. The Ukis are defending it with everything they have because once they lose it, it's game over for them in the Donetsk region.

Get your facts straight. The Ukis didn't push the Russians from the East. In fact, it's in the east where they're fighting now. They only manage to take back some lost ground which is nothing compared to what they have lost.

I'm glad you know that Ukraine can never win this war, and contrary to what you want to believe, the longer the war lingers, the worst it would get for Ukraine, far worst than whatever cost it shall impose on Russia. These are facts. Anyone who tells you that Ukraine war will weaken Russia Military or economically just don't know anything about Russia.

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by opamoses1: 10:51pm On Jan 11, 2023

The most overratted military in the world.
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Appleyard(m): 10:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mrtaye:

The reasons are best known to them. But from all indications, it's clear they're in this for the long, methodical style. Even the west have admitted that Russia is in this war for the long haul, not some quick and decisive decimation, hence they call it SMO.
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by obedience4(m): 11:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
Appleyard:

You're just being emotional, and that won't change the fact.

You're calling Soledar a small town? Do you even know how large Ukraine is on land mass? The town is part of the surrounding viscinity of Bakhmuth, the most defensively entrenched city in Ukraine. The Ukis are defending it with everything they have because once they lose it, it's game over for them in the Donetsk region.

Get your facts straight. The Ukis didn't push the Russians from the East. In fact, it's in the east where they're fighting now. They only manage to take back some lost ground which is nothing compared to what they have lost.

I'm glad you know that Ukraine can never win this war, and contrary to what you want to believe, the longer the war lingers, the worst it would get for Ukraine, far worst than whatever cost it shall impose on Russia. These are facts. Anyone who tells you that Ukraine ear will weaken Russia just don't know anything about Russia.

Wow. Comparing soledar town to Putin plans to remove the Ukraine government to celebrating a Small town, this is Russia will are talking about, with is famed red army, having to rely on Wagner to get tiny advancement in over 6 months.

When I said Ukraine will never win Russia, I was speaking in general terms. Not this war, even a blind man can see with the little assistance Ukraine is getting it is capable of winning the Russians Im the battle Field. This last few month's have proved it.

Russia is already weaken the Russia military is in shambles, the army is having to deal with the Wagner group overshadowing it, the Wagner group owner release a statements, the military comes to debunked it, Putng a new commander only to demote him after 4 months,, shamefully buying weapons from Iran,
Putin is a loner in world politics, Russia is becoming isolated by the day, business are pulling out,

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by ocelot2006(m): 11:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
Col. General Surovikin was still made Vice Chief of Staff of the Special Military Operation (SMO). The fact that the Russian Military's Chief of Staff, General. Gerasimov has been placed in charge of the SMO should worry Ukraine and the West A LOT. With Russia's Chief of Defence Staff in charge now with ghe full might of the Russian military (Army, Aerospace, Navy, Missiles, etc) under his command and the freezing conditions in Ukraine, the scope of this whole war just grew. Something big is coming...

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by ocelot2006(m): 11:29pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:

Wow. Comparing soledar town to Putin plans to remove the Ukraine government to celebrating a Small town, this is Russia will are talking about, with is famed red army, having to rely on Wagner to get tiny advancement in over 6 months.

When I said Ukraine will never win Russia, I was speaking in general terms. Not this war, even a blind man can see with the little assistance Ukraine is getting it is capable of winning the Russians Im the battle Field. This last few month's have proved it.

Russia is already weaken the Russia military is in shambles, the army is having to deal with the Wagner group overshadowing it, the Wagner group owner release a statements, the military comes to debunked it, Putng a new commander only to demote him after 4 months,, shamefully buying weapons from Iran,
Putin is a loner in world politics, Russia is becoming isolated by the day, business are pulling out,

The Russian military already weakened? Really? Same military that has already addressed its manpower deficiency with its industrial might now geared to winning this war? Same military that's now receiving better weapons from new Su-34s and 35s to Su-57s, new missiles like the S-550s and the Zircon Hypersonic missiles with a new Naval Frigate, new tanks like the T_72B3Ms and T-90Ms that are wrecking havoc presently in Eastern Ukraine, plus additional BMP-3s, BTRs, etc? But most of all, same military with a force that has already been bloodied and has gained considerable combat experience, have stopped whatever excuse of an offensive the Ukrainians initially threw up in Kremmina up north, and are now advances with advances now increasing in meters? Same military with a MASSIVE firepower advantage from artillery to attack helicopters and fixed wing attack aircrafts, bombers, tanks, etc? THAT military is "weakened"?

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by bassdow: 11:31pm On Jan 11, 2023
obedience4:

Man, I can't research what I know is a big fat lie..
Let just leave it as it is..
See you next time, when Putin is finally disgraced

...even when sources are majorly the WESTern Media. I see we tend to have selective amnesia when narratives ain't in our favor . Another reason commenting here is such a waste of valuable time
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by opamoses1: 11:50pm On Jan 11, 2023
Appleyard:

The reasons are best known to them. But from all indications, it's clear they're in this for the long, methodical style. Even the west have admitted that Russia is in this war for the long haul, not some quick and decisive decimation, hence they call it SMO.
Putin's minister of information don drop comment ooo grin
Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by opamoses1: 11:52pm On Jan 11, 2023
ocelot2006:
Col. General Surovikin was still made Vice Chief of Staff of the Special Military Operation (SMO). The fact that the Russian Military's Chief of Staff, General. Gerasimov has been placed in charge of the SMO should worry Ukraine and the West A LOT. With Russia's Chief of Defence Staff in charge now with ghe full might of the Russian military (Army, Aerospace, Navy, Missiles, etc) under his command and the freezing conditions in Ukraine, the scope of this whole war just grew. Something big is coming...

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Enugurangers: 12:08am On Jan 12, 2023
obedience4:

So that's it. To think Putin arse leakers were jubilating on the thread below when this dude was brought in from Syria or wherever he came from.

https://www.nairaland.com/7381875/sergei-surovikin-russias-ruthless-general#117537483

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Mrtaye: 7:51am On Jan 12, 2023
bassdow:

why kill a kidNapper you caught when you could strategically try to find the main person.

When you kill a streetLevel kidnapper, you have done nothing because the MMAIN perSon in charge would just have him/her replaced.

Russia knows Ukraine is only being used. the main parties are NATO, EU, and Western countries such as USA. Finishing off Ukraine wouldn't really solve the real problem. The main problem isn't Ukraine + Ukraine is like family to Russia.

In fact Russia would love to reIntegrate Ukraine as part of Russia sef
You people have started shifting goalpost again which one be kidnapper again....ok you mean russia is the kidnapper

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Mrtaye: 7:52am On Jan 12, 2023
Appleyard:

Ok russia never had that afterthought ab initio

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by A305: 8:01am On Jan 12, 2023
obedience4:

He wasn't sackes neither was he turned deputy.

Due to the large scale of operation and potentially opening a new front, Putin deemed it necessary to hire another commmader alongside Surovikin. Surovikin and the new guy are both 4star general.

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by seunny4lif(m): 8:13am On Jan 12, 2023
Valery Gerasimov is the deputy Defense Minister.

He is also literally the highest ranking MILITARY guy in Russia. Shoigu, is not a military just like in almost every countries that min of def are political post.

For this new command structure, there is no higher ranked people than these guys... so this is the apex command.

This would be the exact same command structure in the event where Russia declares and go to war w any country.

This is why, this change is huge. Its not really a "Special Military Operation" when the commanders of an operation is literally your highest possible ranking generals

Surovikin isn’t "demoted", in all likelihood, It expected him to continue doing almost everything he is already doing now - commanding the entire military operation on the Eastern Front (Kharkiv-Luhansk-Bakhmut-NiuYork-Donetsk Fronts)

First pic is the Min of def and Gen Gersimov
Second picture is the new 3rd/4th highest military command in Russia.

Russia is planning to open another front from Belarus again because many troops having be going to Belarus as they just appointed new 2 Generals

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by seunny4lif(m): 8:25am On Jan 12, 2023
One is the commander of all Russian ground force (in peace time).
The second in command of chief of staff (deputy to Geraismov).

My guess 2 new Generals, 2 new fronts.

The other 2 generals:
Oleg Salyukov (dark green uniform) and Alexei Kim (bluish green uniform)

Maybe Oleg Salyukov, as the commander of all ground forces, would take the harder job of northern front.

Every country rotates their military command during a war.

Alexei Kim would take the southern front.

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by Elimon(m): 8:35am On Jan 12, 2023
obedience4:

Soledar was captured for real... How do u feel now?

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by bassdow: 9:15am On Jan 12, 2023
Mrtaye:

You people have started shifting goalpost again which one be kidnapper again....ok you mean russia is the kidnapper

in Drug business, Killing/Arresting the street level dealers (who are only hustling) doesn't solve the main problem - you try to get to the main KingPin hence reason when a streetLevel drug dealer is arrested, law enforcement officers often are willing to give you soft punishment or even set you free if you're able to give information(s) leading to arrest of those higher up the rank.

Now Ukraine is like the streetLevel drug dealer, NATO & EU are those much higher up the Rank. it's okay assuming Russia as the LawEnforcement. Now should Ukraine be finished off like you suggested, it's only a matter of time before NATO + EU + others come up with another strategy.

Re: Ukraine War: Sergei Surovikin Removed As Commander Of Ukraine Invasion Force by bassdow: 9:18am On Jan 12, 2023
Elimon:

Soledar was captured for real... How do u feel now?

Sacked or reAppointed ? While we really don't know what lead to him being reAppointed, I could say it's normal in military settings - a times your stay in a place is just long enough to get things balanced enough for others to continue. maybe the new place he's posted requires More or Less of His kinda person

Why The US Can’t Overcome North Korea In War / White House Rejects Texas Petition To Secede From USA! / Minister Of Sports Solomon Dalon Spotted Taking Shayi In Bauchi Road Jos

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96