Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,997 members, 7,873,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:00 AM

Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways (37813 Views)

Kunle Adeyanju Who Is Riding A Bike From London To Lagos Is Due To Arrive Today / 12-Year-Old Boy Drowns While Swimming With Friends In Ilorin (Graphic) / Motorists Spend Their Night On Ikoyi Road In Lagos For Violating Curfew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by baralatie(m): 12:18pm On Jan 12, 2023
ramdris:
I don't get it, is it possible to be jet skiing without knowing how to swim?
It is not necessary that you must know how to swim before you ride on a jet ski but there are safety requirements before getting oneself on a large mass of water!
At Good beach and landmark you are required to put on your life jacket!
And must be in company of a trained lifeguard.
And there must be clearance on that day that the waters are safe to go in
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by muzeze77: 12:19pm On Jan 12, 2023
BernieLee:
I know the man personally. Won’t mention the name here but he’s a northerner. We worked for the same establishment at some point.
Very simple and easy going. From what I gathered he wasn’t on life jacket.

RIP to the dead and another lesson for the living.
thought as much , life jacket would have saved his life , you can fall from a jet ski and all you have to do is climb back
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by baralatie(m): 12:19pm On Jan 12, 2023
RIP on the deceased and may God sustain his family
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by brandsoncharlie: 12:28pm On Jan 12, 2023
azpekuliar:
Even if he wanted to speed (which I like to do and is one reason I would never live abroad long term) did he not have a life jacket on? and most importantly he could not swim? Unfortunate oo.
Life jackets can not save you, survival techniques with life jackets will. In fact I saw a lady drowning in front of me on training (HSE) she was rescued immediately.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by azpekuliar: 12:31pm On Jan 12, 2023
brandsoncharlie:

Life jackets can not save you, survival techniques with life jackets will. In fact I saw a lady drowning in front of me on training (HSE) she was rescued immediately.

Oga. I mentioned life jacket and swimming. I consider the latter to be the most important skill to even go on water.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Nobodysboo(m): 12:41pm On Jan 12, 2023
No life guard? The owners of the company should face the panel of jugdes
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by 727abejide: 12:49pm On Jan 12, 2023
Wat a way to dieWat a way to die...
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Whobedatte(m): 12:54pm On Jan 12, 2023
One of life key learnings
Do not go through a large water body if you do not know how to swim ! At least swim for 30 minutes straight !!!
Some of una wey Dey go boat cruise , Dey see am for status , women go plenty for inside boat Dey do boat cruise and dem no Sabi swim , I pity una
Lastly , learn how to swim , it’s very important ! In a year you don Sabi am wella
Largest swimming pool in Lagos is at Lagos airport hotel and police college Ikeja .
Learnt swimming there in just a year and now I can swim in a 40 ft deep water body , at least for 30 minutes before exhaustion

1 Like

Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by arantess: 12:54pm On Jan 12, 2023
ramdris:
or he should have simply worn a jacket, i mean people have stayed afloat on the high seas for days because they wore life jacket.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by spartachico(m): 12:56pm On Jan 12, 2023
He might know how to swim but probably an accident happened and he lost consciousness and wasn’t wearing a live jacket
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by id4sho(m): 1:01pm On Jan 12, 2023
ramdris:
1000 ways to die
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by BrutusOj(m): 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2023
It was a stupid adventure. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by RichardRexs(m): 1:44pm On Jan 12, 2023
he was supposed to wear a life jacket.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by ComeToJesus: 1:47pm On Jan 12, 2023
SouthSouth1914:
Jet Skiing and don’t know how to Swim??

I had a colleague who was a fantastic swimmer but got drowned when he mistakenly fell overboard. If the current is very strong, your swimming skills may not matter.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by SouthSouth1914: 2:10pm On Jan 12, 2023
ComeToJesus:

I had a colleague who was a fantastic swimmer but got drowned when he mistakenly fell overboard. If the current is very strong, your swimming skills may not matter.

True, depends on the current. But at this point, we can’t assume anything until full info!
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by codemaniacs: 2:32pm On Jan 12, 2023
muzeze77:
He definitely was not wearing a life jacket,life jacket will keep you afloat no matter what
baralatie:
What about his life jacket?
BernieLee:
I know the man personally. Won’t mention the name here but he’s a northerner. We worked for the same establishment at some point.
Very simple and easy going. From what I gathered he wasn’t on life jacket.

RIP to the dead and another lesson for the living.
muzeze77:
thought as much , life jacket would have saved his life , you can fall from a jet ski and all you have to do is climb back
azpekuliar:

Oga. I mentioned life jacket and swimming. I consider the latter to be the most important skill to even go on water.
spartachico:
He might know how to swim but probably an accident happened and he lost consciousness and wasn’t wearing a live jacket

According to the post, his body sunk too deep to be rescued..

If he drowned without anything pulling him down his body would have been floating.... which means he had an accident and his clothes or shoes/sports trainers or shoe lace or part of his body was stuck or entangled with the jet ski and pulled him down deeper into ocean...

In this case, knowing how to swim wouldn't save him because something is continuously pulling him deeper into the ocean and he would be panicking because he would have to release himself from the sinking jet ski while in the water or whatever was pulling him deeper into the ocean..

but the report didn't say whether the jet ski sunk or not.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Odogwujayy: 2:48pm On Jan 12, 2023
MrSensor:
drowning is much better than burning in a fire flame

Yeah. I totally agree..
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Spandau: 2:48pm On Jan 12, 2023
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1436402/man-drowns-riding-jet-ski-ikoyi-waterways/

O jeun yo tan, o wa n' wa bekunbekun kiri. Ayo lalere fi se n'tan. In a country where medical first responders and alas medical treatment is next to nothing, you don't behave like oyinbo people.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Odogwujayy: 2:50pm On Jan 12, 2023
omojesu202:

I strongly disagree with you. it's one of the easiest way to commit suicide. no pain

I also strongly disagree too... You dunno the struggle they go through before they pass on.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by adonaimart(m): 3:11pm On Jan 12, 2023
What do you mean by overspeeding as cause of death?

No life jacket is most likely d cause. With a life jacket, whether u can swim or not and as far as you didn't hit your head hard against d water or any hard surface, you will most likely stay afloat and survive.

Please govt should be more stringent on safety issues concerning water park/leisure operators
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Pimine: 4:04pm On Jan 12, 2023
azpekuliar:
Even if he wanted to speed (which I like to do and is one reason I would never live abroad long term) did he not have a life jacket on? and most importantly he could not swim? Unfortunate oo.
Swim kwa? Swim from where to where? The nicca could have swam for hours until he got tired and drowned. Abi you think say na swimming pool where you can simply get out when you're tired?
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by Kemadealadire(f): 4:50pm On Jan 12, 2023
Anything that has to do with large body of water, avoid like a plague. Facing your fears no reach this side.
Re: Man Drowns While Riding A Jet-Ski On Ikoyi Waterways by omojesu202(m): 5:15am On Jan 13, 2023
Odogwujayy:

I also strongly disagree too... You dunno the struggle they go through before they pass on.

Have you ever drown before?
What's the struggling in drinking excess water? The only thing is that you'll know you're about to die, that's all.
Three times I almost drown, twice in a river and ones in school swimming pool. If you're rescued, there's no damage done to your body in any way, just push out the water.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Presidential Team Visits Injured NAF Pilot After Plane Crash In Abuja. Photos / Aba Streets Being Transformed (Photos) / Passengers Travelling To Zaria Involved In Accident, Many Dead (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.