Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,138 members, 7,977,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 01:39 AM

7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To (1052 Views)

7 Famous Current Quotes By Shettima: / Nicknames Associated With Ajimobi / EXPOSED; 45 Cultists Slangs And Their Meaning! Be At Alert In Grave Situation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
Good Evening Nairalanders I thought of an interesting concept today and I decided to make it into a thread to share with you ..so enjoy

Famous places in Nigerian that became associated with equally famous slangs and words , l have 7 you can add yours to the list.

1/ OKADA/OKADA BIKE
The motorcycle bike is popularly known as Okada bike but many of us don’t know the origin of the nick name,
The name actually came from the name of the first indigenous airline in Nigeria the Okada airline
Which was equally named after the Villiage of the Founder of the airline , Chief Gabriel Igbinedion,
Okada is A villiage a few distance from Benin cutybin Edo state

The Okada airline has long stopped operation but its outlived by the countless motorcycles now called Okada today.

1 Like

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 7:07pm On Jan 17, 2023
2/OKRIKA

Okrika is now known as the slang name for used clothes being sold for cheaps, it’s a booming business in various parts of the country,
Although Okrika is actually a popular town in Rivers state of Nigeria, an oil producing town
How the name of the town and The clothing came to be known by the same name is a story for another day

1 Like

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 7:12pm On Jan 17, 2023
3) OYO(on your own)
Oyo for you is the slang for you are On your Own
In our present day country
But we all know that’s OYO is the name of the largest western state in Nigeria and carved out of the old OyO empire

4)YABALeft

This is a slang to buttress that someone is acting abnormal
This is coming from The fact that Yaba in Lagos houses an Institution of psychiatry
So next time someone writes yabaleft alert under your post , he or she really means to insult you lol

1 Like

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by aylive02(m): 7:14pm On Jan 17, 2023
grin

You have really tried with these compilations. However, I will handsomely pay you if you can help me find the origin and the meaning of the word Balablu blue-eu Bulaba. I know the mofo that said that word but nobody knows the meaning, not even Keyamo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 7:17pm On Jan 17, 2023
5) Edo airways
This is a hashtag that trending in Twitter
It connnotes the stereotype of Edo people being fetish and masters of Witchology and flyingocracy
Hence the Edo instant Airways lol
My Edo people no allow the sterotype vex us o

6)ABA made
This is used to refer to Substandard goods or to tag a product of low quality
It’s also a sterotype of the High indigenous production in Aba a town in Abi’a state Nigeria
Known for making a lot of wears and materials but if it you don’t shine your eyes you will be given fake goods

2 Likes

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 7:33pm On Jan 17, 2023
7/ASO ROCk
Aso Rock as a slang is used to refer to government,especially.
The Presidency and his Villa
Actually Aso Rock is a Rock mountain in the outskirts of Abuja the Federal capital of Nigeria

Please feel free to add yours
Also you have my permission to repost just give credit to this thread as the source

I am a Professional Ghostwriter with over 100 completed Projects
Across
Blog posts
Articles
Novels
Youtube scripts
Film Scripts
Course contents and Many More.
I also provide editing services ranging from

Timestamps, link addition and Grammar checks are not a proboem

I recieve 50% upfront Payment before projects are taken
Send a Dm to my whatsapp number if interested
Serious clients only

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Sergio101(m): 7:43pm On Jan 17, 2023
Eke uke.

Uke is a town in Anambra (beside Onitsha) and Eke is a market day in igboland.

But Eke uke is now being used for people that are too daft and shallow........or somewhat dumb. (I.e bella of Bbnaija was being called eke uke because of her slow rate of capturing things......."I don't understand"everytime cheesy)

It can also mean quack/useless dog breed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Sergio101(m): 7:44pm On Jan 17, 2023
Eke uke (ekuke)

But Eke uke is now being used for people that are too daft and shallow........or somewhat dumb. (I.e bella of Bbnaija was being called eke uke because of her slow rate of capturing things......."I don't understand"everytime cheesy)

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 1:05am On Jan 18, 2023
Sergio101:
Eke uke (ekuke)

this is hilarious lolll
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by WhizdomXX(m): 1:50am On Jan 18, 2023
aylive02:
grin

You have really tried with these compilations. However, I will handsomely pay you if you can help me find the origin and the meaning of the word Balablu blue-eu Bulaba. I know the mofo that said that word but nobody knows the meaning, not even Keyamo.
And a down payment for the roasted corn.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by SpatialKing(m): 1:52am On Jan 18, 2023
Broom

Agbado

Cassava

1 Like

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 8:37am On Jan 18, 2023
SpatialKing:
Broom

Agbado

Cassava
All these ones no b names of places
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by SpatialKing(m): 2:22pm On Jan 18, 2023
Tomato Jos

2 Likes

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 8:16pm On Jun 30
Lol
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by CrushObituaries: 8:41pm On Jun 30
aylive02:
grin

It was allegedly doctored and attributed to the greatest and most influential politician in Africa and kingmaker who crowned himself king, the same person that singlehandedly defeated, crush, and disgraced bitter grievingory OBItuary, the man greater than Nnamdi Azikwe, Ojukwu the warmonger, Kanu Nnamdi, and bitter grievingory Obi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by aylive02(m): 6:09am On Jul 01
CrushObituaries:
It was allegedly doctored and attributed to the greatest and most influential politician in Africa and kingmaker who crowned himself king, the same person that singlehandedly defeated, crush, and disgraced bitter grievingory OBItuary, the man greater than Nnamdi Azikwe, Ojukwu the warmonger, Kanu Nnamdi, and bitter grievingory Obi.
. Pain, is that you?
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Gondonu: 6:16am On Jul 01
Nice thread! Remember Okada Air that used to fly Lagos - Benin City.

Meanwhile, the slogan "MAMMY MARKET" was associated with the wife of the then military governor or Enugu Eastern Nigeria under General Yakubu Gowon - Mrs Mammy Anthony Ochefu. Mammy markets are common places in the military barracks and NYSC camps.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by KnowAll(m): 6:25am On Jul 01
EMI Lo Kan 👉🏿
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Gbogbowa: 8:39am On Jul 01
BATeria and Ebilokan
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by SheikhMuniru(m): 9:14am On Jul 01
ARO

Made in Abeokuta
Re: 7 Famous Places In Nigeria And The Slangs They Became Associated To by Emperordynasty: 1:15am On Jul 20
I am a Professional Ghostwriter with over 100 completed Projects
Across
Blog posts
Articles
Novels
Youtube scripts
Film Scripts
Course contents and Many More.
I also provide editing services ranging from

Timestamps, link addition and Grammar checks are not a proboem

I recieve 50% upfront Payment before projects are taken
Send a Dm to my whatsapp number if interested
Serious clients only

(1) (Reply)

If All Of Nigeria Was One Tribe And Religion, Who Would You Vote For? / Peter Obi And LP Have Started Sharing Biscuits Oh! / My Response To Shameless Ohanaeze Ndigbo For Peace Summit - Simon Ekpa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.