Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,360 members, 7,920,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 04:04 AM

Career Counsel Needed Pls! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Counsel Needed Pls! (1334 Views)

W / What Is The Hope Of Young Counsel In The Chambers Of A Tight Fisted Principal. / Career Counsel And Interview Preparation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Counsel Needed Pls! by uche13: 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2011
Hi everyone, please i need a little bit of counsel and advice here. This is my story.

I am a lawyer and graduated in 2008 with a third class due to many reasons details of which isn't very important as every body in this condition always has a story genuine or not. However, i decided to enter the law school with a fresh start and put all the disappointments of the university behind me. God being so gracious, i made a 2:1 at the dreaded bar exams. I did my NYSC with a reputable law firm, luckily for me or rather due to Gods favour, i was the only corper among the other 4 corpers who was not asked of her university degree. The others had to submit their c.v, write interviews before been employed as a corper. During my service year, i put in my best in the firm and was doing the job of lawyers with about 5 years experience. My hardwork and diligence was not unnoticed as i always received complimentary remarks from my colleagues and my boss once in a while even though the firm is basically a no-nonsense place where nothing but hardwork is acceptable. The only issue was that the firm wasn't an easy place to work and as a corper i had to work from 8am to 9pm and at times 10pm sef. I was retained in the firm and the salary isn't so bad as opposed to what obtains in the law industry. I have been working there for about a year now and i am not doing badly on my job. I have been recommended several times on my work performance and my confidence level has really soared but most times whenever i think of my university grade i still feel badly hurt. I feel so glad that i have been able to conquer my immediate environment but at times i feel stuck. My firm has so many problems even though the salary is good and many people who come in always tend to leave after a while to a better work environment. However if i am leaving i can not go beyond the standard of my present firm and i feel that my university grade will be a limitation to secure a better job in a place where i am not known. Also the trauma of graduating with a third class sets in deeply at times though i am still grateful to God as so many of my mates with better grades are still in awe at the way my life has turned out now. As a friend rightly said, i feel like a crippled lady who is dating a good looking guy and feels so unworthy of his love to the extent that though he treats her badly she still stays out of fear of finding another relationship due to her "disability". Everybody expects me to be happy and grateful since i never had to look for a job, have never attended an interview neither am i working and earning a pittance but i know it could be better. I am presently thinking of doing acca and getting that oxford Brooke's bsc degree in applied accounting and struggle hard to see if i can make a good grade that at least will cover up for my law degree so that in case in the nearest future i am applying for a job outside the legal profession that requires a minimum of a 2:2 i wouldn't be disappointed.

Pls any advice or information as to the genuinity of the oxford brookes thingy or if it is recognised in Nigeria will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by AjanleKoko: 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2011
Why don't you just go back to school and do a PGD and LLM?
Even people who graduated with 2:1 from both university and law school are all doing masters degrees.

Or you don't want to be a lawyer anymore?
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by uche13: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2011
I want to be a lawyer and am planning on doing a masters in law in the nearest future. A s for now, i can not run a masters programe concurrently with my present job and as you have always advised, experience is still way better than getting a masters. Moreover, i have some friends who did their masters and came back to start the job search thing all over again. That is why i am considering doing acca since i can choose the number of courses i can take at a time and read on my own while attending lectures weekends.

BTW masters in law in unilag is full time and as i earlier stated, i work from 8am to 10pm.

So grateful for ur reply. Thanks.
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by AjanleKoko: 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2011
Okay, I assume you want to be a lawyer and an accountant?

Well . . . ACCA does afford the user a Bsc in accounting, if that's what you're asking.
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by chamber2(m): 6:48pm On Sep 06, 2011
uche13:

I want to be a lawyer and am planning on doing a masters in law in the nearest future. A s for now, i can not run a masters programe concurrently with my present job and as you have always advised, experience is still way better than getting a masters. Moreover, i have some friends who did their masters and came back to start the job search thing all over again. That is why i am considering doing acca since i can choose the number of courses i can take at a time and read on my own while attending lectures weekends.

BTW masters in law in unilag is full time and as i earlier stated, i work from 8am to 10pm.

So grateful for your reply. Thanks.

Bros, i don't think the bolded is true. Unless it's a recent development. Last year, i helped my big bros to register for unilag LLM part-time programme. In fact, he will be graduating by January 2012 or so. So try to investigate that properly. He is also a chartered accountant.

Taking ACCA as a lawyer is not a bad idea. Most lawyers do so. But, remember ACCA is quite a difficult exam to take. I don't know how conversant you are with calculations. In the case of my bros, he used to be a science student before he decided to study law. So, passing ICAN wasn't a big deal for him.

But, why don't you allow the past be? Even though i admire your pro-activeness, but if you could get your present job without reference to the class of your degree why do you think it will matter much later? After all, most organisations are looking for people with experience.

I will still suggest you get a PG and then LLM. As you move up the ladder, the class of your degree will not matter much. I read the story of AjanleKoko in one of the threads on how he got a job that was meant for only 2.1 and 1st. Bros, if you believe in yourself the class of your degree with not hinder you much.

Aren't you planning on opening your own chamber in the future?

Let me add that my big bros ICAN has done nothing for him so far. Absolutely nothing. He is still working with his first degree. He became chartered about 3 yrs ago. Now, he is doing LLM after spending money and time on ICAN.
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by uche13: 7:15pm On Sep 06, 2011
@chamber 2

Thank you so much for your invaluable counsel. I would inquire further on the unilag pgd/masters programme. I do not do badly in calculations at all and always wanted to do acca right from when i was in uni. However, the bsc accounting thing just recently ignited my passion for acca. Sincerely, i love litigation a lot and therein lies my strongest passion and i can not really see myself as a corporate lawyer just that at times the thought of this 3rd class weighs me down badly. I have never been an average student from childhood till university and there is still a deep inner cry to still prove myself. Right now i want to change my job but the very few firms that pay higher than my present one are hard to enter and to be sincere i am scared about venturing out. I think i have to be courageous and trust that the God that led me thus far can still take me to the next level. THANKS ONCE AGAIN!
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by chamber2(m): 7:42pm On Sep 06, 2011
uche13:

@chamber 2

Thank you so much for your invaluable counsel. I would inquire further on the unilag pgd/masters programme. I do not do badly in calculations at all and always wanted to do acca right from when i was in uni. However, the bsc accounting thing just recently ignited my passion for acca. Sincerely, i love litigation a lot and therein lies my strongest passion and i can not really see myself as a corporate lawyer just that at times the thought of this 3rd class weighs me down badly. I have never been an average student from childhood till university and there is still a deep inner cry to still prove myself. Right now i want to change my job but the very few firms that pay higher than my present one are hard to enter and to be sincere i am scared about venturing out. I think i have to be courageous and trust that the God that led me thus far can still take me to the next level. THANKS ONCE AGAIN!

You have proved yourself already bro, both at the law school (3rd class to 2.1) and in your present job. If you have passion for ACCA then go for it. But aside ''proving yourself'' what other thing do you expect the ACCA to do for you hence you do not see yourself as a corporate lawyer or accountant? Making a distinction at the masters degree level is also another way of proving yourself. Just make your choice base on your passion and career objectives.

Please, do not allow this 3rd class thing make you feel inferior in anyway. So many 2.1 and 1st class out there are not any better.Believe in your God, follow your dream and hit the street running.Remember, whatever you do, you cannot throwaway your first degree.
Re: Career Counsel Needed Pls! by amdman: 7:43am On Sep 23, 2011
The best thing you can do for yourself is to make your results speak for you. Work smart!

Like you, I had a 2.2 at Uni, went to law school and got a 2.1. Today, I practice corporately in one of the foriegn banks in Nigeria where 2.1 or 1st class is the requirement. As you go higher and garner more experience and training, you first degree is not so important anymore. And if you are looking at a career in the legal profession, particularly corporate practice, go get your LLM, ICSA, CIA or other such certifications.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? / H. Pierson Associate: 3 Things To Know / Earn Over $75,000 Per Annum Minimum As An IT Auditor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.