Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,400 members, 7,881,458 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:06 PM

Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? (1733 Views)

Lekki Seaport Berths Largest Vessel Since Commencement Of Operations / President Buhari Arrives In Lagos To Commission Lekki Seaport (Video) / Obaseki Tours Lekki Seaport, Dangote Refinery As Work Progresses On Benin River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by Blaze14k: 2:50pm On Jan 27, 2023
Patriotsleague:

Sometimes it's good to spend a little time to enlighten people, so we know better.

From his name u can easily tell he is a yoruba.. from there bitter way of politicking they feel anyone who criticize tinubu is an enemy of yorubas. You can see the way he is tryin to shut u down from talkin to me. His tribal instinct is out to derail our conversation.
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by omonnakoda: 2:53pm On Jan 27, 2023
Blaze14k:

Well those companies are owned by individuals. My concern is 75% by these companies cos they have the upper hand in terms of the agreement. They would endeavour to make there profit so i really dont think the federal government will have the control over what is being imported into the country and that will very devastating to our economy. Its like we didnt learn from the oil subsidy yet.
It is clear you are not informed
The owners of the Port will not operate it
That is another deal involving another company
A French company
Our existing ports are run by NPA
The NPA does not have power to determine what is allowed in to the country so how can a private company?
That is a function of the Customs
If you privatise an airport does not mean you have privatised immigration and that a company will now determine who enters the country
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by omonnakoda: 2:59pm On Jan 27, 2023
Goke7:
but why are some people pained with this Lekki port, I don't understand
That is flat-heads for you

1 Like

Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by Patriotsleague: 3:01pm On Jan 27, 2023
Blaze14k:

Well those companies are owned by individuals. My concern is 75% by these companies cos they have the upper hand in terms of the agreement. They would endeavour to make there profit so i really dont think the federal government will have the control over what is being imported into the country and that will very devastating to our economy. Its like we didnt learn from the oil subsidy yet.
You are not very wise, government policy guides what will be allowed in, they build the seaport, it's our custom officers that will man the gate, whatever Nigerian government bans from coming in won't come in, try to think before you talk, you sounding like an half baked intellectual. The custom officers will be Nigerian custom officers, NDLEA, SON and other Nigerian security and quality control institutions, are the people that will man the ports, the investors have no say, to tell us what to allow in. Their job is to build and operate it.

Financial institutions are not usually owned by a single individual, they normally have share holders and directors.

This issue is different from fuel subsidy, where is the connection?
I don't really like engaging dull people, fuel subsidy is government paying some amount of fuel costs so Nigerians buy it cheap. This conversation has nothing to do with fuel subsidy.
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by Blaze14k: 3:10pm On Jan 27, 2023
Patriotsleague:

You are not very wise, government policy guides what will be allowed in, they build the seaport, it's our custom officers that will man the gate, whatever Nigerian government bans from coming in won't come in, try to think before you talk, you sounding like an half baked intellectual. The custom officers will be Nigerian custom officers, NDLEA, SON and other Nigerian security and quality control institutions, are the people that will man the ports, the investors have no say, to tell us what to allow in. Their job is to build and operate it.

Financial institutions are not usually owned by a single individual, they normally have share holders and directors.

This issue is different from fuel subsidy, where is the connection?
I don't really like engaging dull people, fuel subsidy is government paying some amount of fuel costs so Nigerians buy it cheap. This conversation has nothing to do with fuel subsidy.

Bro i deal in buying and selling and i can tell you that people import alot of substandard goods. As far as you settle custom officers you will have ur way. We see alot of substandard goods everyday
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by omonnakoda: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2023
Blaze14k:

Bro i deal in buying and selling and i can tell you that people import alot of substandard goods. As far as you settle custom officers you will have ur way. We see alot of substandard goods everyday
. That is happening now and has nothing to do with whether Chinese or Camerounians are the major shareholders. It is down to Customs not NPA
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by flokii: 3:16pm On Jan 27, 2023
omonnakoda:

Why are Iboes so spiteful and envious?
There is nothing linking this port or its ownership to obligation to buy Chinese products
On the other hand there is nothing to say existing ports do not facilitate flooding with Chinese products
Countries without Chinese ports are flooded too.

China is an INVESTOR in the port just like the US,Netherlands are investors in our oil and gas
sector
The port will be OPERATED BY A FRENCH COMPANY NOT CHINESE.

This is the major port in Nigeria designed for export processing.
If we do not want to be flooded we must manufacture
MTN presence in Nigeria has not made us slaves of SA

I'm more Yoruba than you will ever be.. arguing blindly won't make you win arguments.

It is in this same Nigeria that ships enter our shores, load stolen crude oil and leave unnoticed, it's still in this same Nigeria that a pipeline used for crude oil theft got uncovered in the Niger Delta after several years of oil theft.

Reality will dawn on you when about 80 percent of Nigerians become jobless with non-existent industries.

It's the oversabi of people like you that wrecked the Cotton and Textiles industry in Nigeria till date. Education, Health sectors now in shambles.
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by sunboy(m): 3:19pm On Jan 27, 2023
flokii:
While the Lekki seaport may seem like something laudable, let's consider the downsides for a moment.. Nigeria through the Lekki ports will become flooded with Chinese products made and packaged in China.What happpens to our young graduates? Which industries will they work in when sooner or later, the industries go extinct from ihigh nflation rate, high costs of diesel etc.

The Chinese TV is right about job creation in China because of the over 200 million Nigerians that will have no other options than to embrace China-made goods in the future. See where corruption has landed us in Africa.

China had nothing when Nigeria discovered oil and started production in Oloibiri.. Same China today is gradually colonizing not just Nigeria but Africa as a whole.

I hate one sided economics. A sea port is designed to Send out and Receive!!! Not just receive but also send out. Your youth can also export to other countries, this is an Avenue for a more efficient way of exporting stuff will less chaos that has plagued the Tin Can. This is also designed to be a hub of destination for Central and other West African countries, you know what that means
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by omonnakoda: 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2023
flokii:

I'm more Yoruba than you will ever be.. arguing blindly won't make you win arguments.

It is in this same Nigeria that ships enter our shores, load stolen crude oil and leave unnoticed, it's still in this same Nigeria that a pipeline used for crude oil theft got uncovered in the Niger Delta after several years of oil theft.

Reality will dawn on you when about 80 percent of Nigerians become jobless with non-existent industries.

It's the oversabi of people like you that wrecked the Cotton and Textiles industry in Nigeria till date. Education, Health sectors now in shambles.
Omo yeeboe
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by flokii: 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2023
sunboy:

I hate one sided economics. A sea port is designed to Send out and Receive!!! Not just receive but also send out. Your youth can also export to other countries, this is an Avenue for a more efficient way of exporting stuff will less chaos that has plagued the Tin Can. This is also designed to be a hub of destination for Central and other West African countries, you know what that means

I get your point perfectly.. we use ports to send out and receive.
Be frank in your response, can you campare what enters Nigeria with what Nigeria Exports to other countries? the gap is huge

Take the Free Zones for example, most companies are running there to establish because of "freedom from tax and whatnot"., whereas the free zones are designed for exports only. Any company in free Zone e.g Lekki has to pay duty and levies to bring in their products to Lagos, Ogun and other parts of the country but is that the case today?

We tend to bastardize so many thing in this country and that is why nothing works anymore.
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by able20(m): 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2023
Tomorrow now those rascals and Agberos supporting Tinubu will claim to say naa him get all lagos Investment
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by flokii: 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2023
omonnakoda:

Omo yeeboe

Whatever makes you sleep well at night.
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by omonnakoda: 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2023
flokii:

Be frank in your response, can you campare what enters Nigeria with what Nigeria Exports to other countries? the gap is huge

Take the Free Zones for example, most companies are running there to establish because of "freedom from tax and whatnot"., whereas the free zones are designed for exports only. Any company in free Zone e.g Lekki has to pay duty and levies to bring in their products to Lagos, Ogun and other parts of the country but is that the case today?

We tend to bastardize so many thing in this country and that is why nothing works anymore.
. Apart from armchair noise
What is your proposed fix? What has all this noise got to do with ownership structure?
Are you saying the Port should be scrapped? What exactly is your proposed way forward?
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by sunboy(m): 3:33pm On Jan 27, 2023
flokii:

Again, free trade zones are not designed just for imports. It saves company money in both imports and exports!!! It goes both ways, you’re here talking about what your youth will do, I am here telling you that you now have a newer infrastructure and duty-free Avenue of exporting your produce… now let’s get to work!!!

Those companies will also hire Nigerian graduates, will run businesses as normal except that it is duty free. Nothing is being bastardized here, it is we Nigerians that are not maximizing the infrastructures that we have and make it always look like it’s not beneficial to us anytime the government facilitates an infrastructural project that involves foreign investors.

Free trade zone will bring money for everybody, state, FG, investors and the citizens alike.
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by flokii: 3:43pm On Jan 27, 2023
omonnakoda:
. Apart from armchair noise
What is your proposed fix? What has all this noise got to do with ownership structure?
Are you saying the Port should be scrapped? What exactly is your proposed way forward?

Had it been you read my initial post carefully, you would have seen that I didn't entirely condemn the Lekki seaport, instead was pointing out what could possibly go wrong should we treat the security there with kids gloves.

There was a time Nigeria market got flooded with fake Bama mayonnaise where other brands (possibly expired) were imported in large numbers and Bama's label was used to sell them to unsuspecting Nigerians.

Nobody is against Foreign Direct Investments (FDIs) but the question here is.. are your citizens and youths protected?
What steps is the govt. taking to "protect" the citizens?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by omonnakoda: 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2023
flokii:

Had it been you read my initial post carefully, you would have seen that I didn't entirely condemn the Lekki seaport, instead was pointing out what could possibly go wrong should we treat the security there with kids gloves.

There was a time Nigeria market got flooded with fake Bama mayonnaise where other brands (possibly expired) were imported in large numbers and Bama's label was used to sell them to unsuspecting Nigerians.

Nobody is against Foreign Direct Investments (FDIs) but the question here is.. are your citizens and youths protected? ?
What steps is the govt. taking to "protect" the citizens?
Not peculiar to Lekki and therfore irrelevant here
The issue is ownership structure.
Are you suggesting any connection between those issues and who owns the Port
Re: Is The Lekki Seaport Partially Owned By Chinese Company? by Swiftgrp: 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2023
Talawaka:
The Chinese own 5 ports in the USA - fact.
Mind you, 80% of ports in that country are also foreign-owned - fact.

It is a new dawn. cool

Source: https://www.voanews.com/a/6224958.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Update On Victor Attah International Airport Building In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State / Massive Rigging Ongoing In Apapa Lagos After Obi Won With A Landslide / BREAKING: Goodluck Never Congratulated Tinubu, Only Expressed Fear Of Bloodshed

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.