Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,569 members, 7,972,142 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 03:23 AM

Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! - Religion (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! (121087 Views)

The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (155) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 4:03pm On Jun 16, 2008
Pamperme:

READING AND GOSPEL FOR TODAY

FIRST READING: 1Kings 21: 1-16

Naboth of Jezreel had a vineyard close by the palace of Ahab king of Samaria, and Ahab said to Naboth, 'Give me your vineyard to be my vegetable garden, since it adjoins my house; I will give you a better vineyard for it or, if you prefer, I will give you its worth in money'. But Naboth answered Ahab, 'Yahweh forbid that I should give you the inheritance of my ancestors!

Ahab went home gloomy and out of temper at the words of Naboth of Jezreel, 'I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers'. He lay down on his bed and turned his face away and refused to eat. His wife Jezebel came to him. 'Why are you so dispirited' she said 'that you will not eat?' He said, 'I have been speaking to Naboth of Jezreel; I said: Give me your vineyard either for money or, if you prefer, for another vineyard in exchange. But he said, "I will not give you my vineyard".' Then his wife Jezebel said, 'You make a fine king of Israel, and no mistake! Get up and eat; cheer up, and you will feel better; I will get you the vineyard of Naboth of Jezreel myself.

So she wrote letters in Ahab's name and sealed them with his seal, sending them to the elders and nobles who lived where Naboth lived. In the letters she wrote, 'Proclaim a fast, and put Naboth in the forefront of the people. Confront him with a couple of scoundrels who will accuse him like this, "You have cursed God and the king" Then take him outside and stone him to death.'

The men of Naboth's town, the elders and nobles who lived in his town, did what Jezebel ordered, what was written in the letters she had sent them. They proclaimed a fast and put Naboth in the forefront of the people. Then the two scoundrels came and stood in front of him and made their accusation, 'Naboth has cursed God and the king'. They led him outside the town and stoned him to death. They then sent word to Jezebel, 'Naboth has been stoned to death'. When Jezebel heard that Naboth had been stoned to death, she said to Ahab, 'Get up! Take possession of the vineyard which Naboth of Jezreel would not give you for money, for Naboth is no longer alive, he is dead.' When Ahab heard that Naboth was dead, he got up to go down to the vineyard of Naboth of Jezreel and take possession of it.

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 5
Response: Give heed to my groaning, O Lord.

I. To my words give ear, O Lord,
give heed to my groaning.
Attend to the sound of my cries,
my King and my God. Response

2. You are no God who loves evil;
no sinner is your guest.
The boastful shall not stand their ground
before your face. Response

3. You hate all who do evil:
you destroy all who lie.
The deceitful and bloodthirsty man
the Lord detests Response

GOSPEL: Matthew 5: 38-42

Jesus said to his disciples: 'You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other as well; if a man takes you to law and would have your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone orders you to go one mile, go two miles with him. Give to anyone who asks, and if anyone wants to borrow, do not turn away.

MEDITATION OF THE DAY
Eye for eye and tooth for tooth

How often we yearn to "get even" when we feel we've been wronged or treated unjustly. We appoint ourselves judges, forgetting that God himself is the only judge (Psalm 50:6). We often seek to retaliate. Aware of it or not, we try to justify our hunger for vengeance with the words quoted by Jesus: "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" (Matt. 5:38; Exo.21:24). We fail to remember that this injunction was not meant to encourage or condone revenge but to limit the extent to which human vindictiveness might go. God said that we should not seek revenge or bear grudges against our neighbours. Instead, "You shall love your neighbour as yourself" (Leviticus 19:18). Jesus referred to this scripture when he cited the greatest commandment (Matt. 22:39-40). Paul and James also taught that love of one's neighbour is the fulfillment of the law (Romans 13:9-10; James 2:cool. Jesus' words from the Gospel of Mattew are a clear call to God's people to forgive one another, to "turn the other check" (Matt.5:39). While we have often heard his teaching on forgiveness, we frequently do not obey it. In our minds and emotions, we do not see that it applies to us. We need to look into our memories for any lingering resentments or vindictiveness. Perhaps there is a long held grudge against a person in authority we feel has treated us unfairly; perhaps a resentment toward a co-worker or employee who has been uncooperative in the past. In our homes, do we sometimes act out of bitterness, refusing to help because someone else "never does"? Jesus told us to love and forgive one another. He came to fulfill the law (Matt. 5:17), offering his life as the perfect example of how we are to live. As God's people, we are counseled; "Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing" (1 Peter 3:9). Christ says love is the greatest commandment, love of neighbour as of our very selves. Look at Christ's example. On our own strength, we cannot live out Christ's teaching on love, but with the power of Jesus in us, we can.

CATHOLICS SPEAK TODAY

God's ways are straight, however winding and crooked they may appear to human eyes. Is not God infinite wisdom and power whom nothing holds back? BLESSED COLUMBA MARMION.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lady2(f): 4:34pm On Jun 16, 2008
We will continue to read from that thread and see where it would lead us to. Truth they say, is always bitter

I would greatly appreciate it if you do not rear your head here as I do not rear my head in the muuuslims thread. I have shown enough resepct I expect you to do the same.

I understand why you and Olabowale and the others are chasing me around, but just to let you know the more I learn of your belief, the more I appreciate mine.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lady2(f): 4:37pm On Jun 16, 2008
Hello Lady, goin to all those thread makes me sick.

Oh dear I really do understand, but I thank God for the challenge that I have received. It has forced me to put more focus on my religious studies and I have learned more than I ever knew and so much more has been revealed to me, I thank God. I will never stop being a Catholic. Glory to Jesus, Honour to Mary.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2008
hello everyone missed you like crazy.

for all you newbies on this thread feel right at home and make your contributions.

uzzyan where did you jump out from? been quite a while. hope all's well with you cheesy.

~lady~ you are doin a tremendous job on those thread and i must really comment you.

viee where are you now? the weekend is oveer now. come back to work oooh and to this thread!

kay guys just had to say hello.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 10:51am On Jun 17, 2008
MASS READING AND GOSPEL FOR TODAY

FIRST READING: 1Kings 21: 17-29

After the death of Naboth the word of Yahweh came to Elijah the Tishbite, 'Up! Go down to meet Ahab king of Israel, in Samaria. You will find him in Naboth's vineyard; he has gone down to take possession of it. You are to say this to him, "Yahweh says this: You have committed murder; now you usurp as well. For this - and Yahweh says this - in the place where the dogs licked the blood of Naboth, the dogs will lick your blood too."' Ahab said to Elijah, 'So you have found me out, O my enemy!' Elijah answered, 'I have found you out. For your double dealing, and since you have done what is displeasing to Yahweh, I will now bring disaster down on you; I will sweep away your descendants, and wipe out every male belonging to the family of Ahab, fettered or free in Israel. I will treat your House as I treated the House of Jeroboam son of Nebat and of Baasha son of Ahijah, for provoking my anger and leading Israel into sin. (Against Jezebel too Yahweh spoke these words: The dogs will eat Jezebel in the Field of Jezreel.) Those of Ahab's family who die in the city, the dogs will eat; and those who die in the open country, the birds of the air will eat.'

And indeed there never was anyone like Ahab for double dealing and for doing what is displeasing to Yahweh, urged on by Jezebel his wife. He behaved in the most abominable way, adhering to idols, just as the Amorites used to do whom Yahweh had dispossessed for the sons of Israel.

When Ahab heard these words, he tore his garments and put sackcloth next his skin and fasted; he slept in the sackcloth; he walked with slow steps. Then the word of Yahweh came to Elijah the Tishbite, 'Have you seen how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Since he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; I will bring the disaster down on his House in the days of his son.'

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 50
Response: Have mercy on us, Lord, for we have sinned.

1. Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness.
In your compassion blot out my offence.
O wash me more and more from my guilt
and cleanse me from sin. Response

2. My offences truly I know them;
my sin is always before me.
Against you, you alone, have I sinned;
what is evil in your sight I have done. Response

3. From my sins turn away your face
and blot out all my guilt:
a rescue me, God, my helper,
and my tongue shall ring out your goodness. Response

GOSPEL: Matthew 5: 43-48

Jesus said to his disciples: 'You have learnt how it was said: You must love your neighbour and hate your enemy. But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven, for he causes his sun to rise on bad men as well as good, and his rain to fall on honest and dishonest men alike. For if you love those who love you, what right have you to claim any credit? Even the tax collectors do as much, do they not? And if you save your greetings for your brothers, are you doing anything exceptional? Even the pagans do as much, do they not? You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect.'
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 10:52am On Jun 17, 2008
SAINT OF THE DAY

June 17, 2008

St. Joseph Cafasso

(1811-1860)

Even as a young man, Joseph loved to attend Mass and was known for his humility and fervor in prayer. After his ordination he was assigned to a seminary in Turin. There he worked especially against the spirit of Jansenism, an excessive preoccupation with sin and damnation. Joseph used the works of St. Francis de Sales and St. Alphonsus Liguori to moderate the rigorism popular at the seminary.
Joseph recommended membership in the Secular Franciscan Order to priests. He urged devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and encouraged daily Communion. In addition to his teaching duties, Joseph was an excellent preacher, confessor and retreat master. Noted for his work with condemned prisoners, Joseph helped many of them die at peace with God.

St. John Bosco was one of Joseph’s pupils. Joseph urged John Bosco to establish the Salesians to work with the youth of Turin. Joseph was canonized in 1947.

Comment:

Devotion to the Eucharist gave energy to all Joseph's other activities. Long prayer before the Blessed Sacrament has been characteristic of many Catholics who have lived out the gospel well, St. Francis, Bishop Sheen, Cardinal Bernardin and Mother Teresa among them.

Quote:
“O admirable heights and sublime lowliness! O sublime humility! O humble sublimity! That the Lord of the universe, God and the Son of God, so humbles Himself that for our salvation He hides Himself under the little form of bread! Look, brothers, at the humility of God and pour out your hearts before Him! Humble yourselves, as well, that you may be exalted by Him. Therefore, hold back nothing of yourselves for yourselves so that He Who gives Himself totally to you may receive you totally” (Saint Francis, Letter to the Entire Order).
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 10:56am On Jun 17, 2008
jydeboy:

Pampermee, you are just like my humble self. Please be a Catholic till death. I love you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch.

Jydeboy, welcome to the thread of the happiest people on earth and though me and Carlov are not speaking to each other for now, no let the guy catch you for corner o[b][/b]. lol

italo:

my dear fellow catholics, u should not be surprised at all the persecution. christ went through more. and he already warned us to expect same

welcome my bro

Oby, dont forget to post the meditation.

Hi all,

Glory to Jesus

Honour to Mary cool
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by jydeboy: 11:51am On Jun 17, 2008
Pamperme, I ended my last relationship because her parents insisted I leave the Catholic church. I gave them bullshit. I was baptized there and I would get my anointing of the sick there. I would surely have my funeral mass there too. I would obtain all the 7 sacraments. Let nobody try to deceive us again. GLORY TO JESUS, HONOUR TO MARY still. They can't stop the shine. I still love you.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 12:14pm On Jun 17, 2008
jydeboy:

Pamperme, I ended my last relationship because her parents insisted I leave the Catholic church. I gave them bullshit. I was baptized there and I would get my anointing of the sick there. I would surely have my funeral mass there too. I would obtain all the 7 sacraments. Let nobody try to deceive us again. GLORY TO JESUS, HONOUR TO MARY still. They can't stop the shine. I still love you.

Carlos u dey dir?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 12:35pm On Jun 17, 2008
Pamperme:

FIRST READING: 1Kings 21: 17-29

After the death of Naboth the word of Yahweh came to Elijah the Tishbite, 'Up! Go down to meet Ahab king of Israel, in Samaria. You will find him in Naboth's vineyard; he has gone down to take possession of it. You are to say this to him, "Yahweh says this: You have committed murder; now you usurp as well. For this - and Yahweh says this - in the place where the dogs licked the blood of Naboth, the dogs will lick your blood too."' Ahab said to Elijah, 'So you have found me out, O my enemy!' Elijah answered, 'I have found you out. For your double dealing, and since you have done what is displeasing to Yahweh, I will now bring disaster down on you; I will sweep away your descendants, and wipe out every male belonging to the family of Ahab, fettered or free in Israel. I will treat your House as I treated the House of Jeroboam son of Nebat and of Baasha son of Ahijah, for provoking my anger and leading Israel into sin. (Against Jezebel too Yahweh spoke these words: The dogs will eat Jezebel in the Field of Jezreel.) Those of Ahab's family who die in the city, the dogs will eat; and those who die in the open country, the birds of the air will eat.'

And indeed there never was anyone like Ahab for double dealing and for doing what is displeasing to Yahweh, urged on by Jezebel his wife. He behaved in the most abominable way, adhering to idols, just as the Amorites used to do whom Yahweh had dispossessed for the sons of Israel.

When Ahab heard these words, he tore his garments and put sackcloth next his skin and fasted; he slept in the sackcloth; he walked with slow steps. Then the word of Yahweh came to Elijah the Tishbite, 'Have you seen how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Since he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; I will bring the disaster down on his House in the days of his son.'

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 50
Response: Have mercy on us, Lord, for we have sinned.

1. Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness.
In your compassion blot out my offence.
O wash me more and more from my guilt
and cleanse me from sin. Response

2. My offences truly I know them;
my sin is always before me.
Against you, you alone, have I sinned;
what is evil in your sight I have done. Response

3. From my sins turn away your face
and blot out all my guilt:
a rescue me, God, my helper,
and my tongue shall ring out your goodness. Response

GOSPEL: Matthew 5: 43-48

Jesus said to his disciples: 'You have learnt how it was said: You must love your neighbour and hate your enemy. But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven, for he causes his sun to rise on bad men as well as good, and his rain to fall on honest and dishonest men alike. For if you love those who love you, what right have you to claim any credit? Even the tax collectors do as much, do they not? And if you save your greetings for your brothers, are you doing anything exceptional? Even the pagans do as much, do they not? You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect.'

MEDITATION OF THE DAY
Love your enemies

Christ calls us to a new way of living.  As Christains we have a call to holiness that has echoed through the centuries.  We must be holy (1 peter 1:16) and perfect (James1 : 4).  We are called to be "perfect as [our] heavenly Father is perfect" (Mattew5 : 48).  God is our Father, our Creator, and we are called by him to love everyone equally.  And so, Jesus taught, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Mattew 5 : 44).  This is not an impossible calling, but it does mean that we must begin to think in a radically new way.  We are constantly exhorted with worldly advice like, "Don't get mad, get even," or "He who laughs last, laughs best." Day after day, we are subjected to the rudeness and self-centeredness of countless people.  At school, at work, even in the grocery we can be hurt by unkind words or lack of consideration.  We find ourselves instinctively avoiding, disliking or even hating all those people we are called to love.  In order to love, our minds must be renewed (Col. 3: 10).  They can be renewed only by spending time with Christ in prayer and reading the scriptures.  We are on a journey of faith, and we must associate with Christ on that journey.  Pope John Paul II emphasized this in a talk he gave in the Netherlands in May 1985:  "The human conscience that is worthy of the name is a journey towards truth.  The Lord's mysterious demand which echoes naturally in the human conscience is specified in the word of God, preserved by the living tradition of the Church.  Men and women who are willing to listen to me, I dare to plead wtih you: Associate with Jesus still more! It is he who is the teacher of adult consciences.  In his three years of public ministry he seized every opportunity to enlighten the consciences of his listeners, especially the twelve Apostles."  Christ wants to enlighten our consciences.  He wants his words to echo in them today as we continue our journey of faith.  Pray for the grace to recognize situations in which you must "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Mattew 5 : 44)

CATHOLICS SPEAK TODAY
There are two kinds of happiness for mortal men: There is that which is carnal and imperfect, and hangs on circumstances, and the health of the body and suchlike things; and there is that which is spiritually perfect, which hangs on nothing else than the doing of the will of God Almighty.  ROBERT HUGH BENSON 1871-1914
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by ebos(m): 2:40pm On Jun 17, 2008
Hey guys!

How is everything? Oby, I can’t understand what’s preventing me from praying my Rosary. Though, I try to make it as simple as possible to recite it, but not one bit simpler. Could it be the reason why Satan was able to build a Super-Soldier?

The truth is that I don’t enjoy missing my Rosary. However, if I’m going to continue to take my devotion time chasing shadows, I would be remiss to ignore the booby traps of Satan – that’s apply to each and everyone of us. Hope, we need more grace? I need o.

Oh, Lady, you too were once under this very attack? We thank God you came out alive. It only takes the grace of God to survive the attack. How's life with u?

Viee and Lindiwe - where are you guys? Spare and simplify your time for us here because the ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. So, let the necessary speak here right away. grin

Carlosein [/b]and [b]Pamperme what has gone wrong that you don’t talk to each other for now? Lawyer, wetin dey happen?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by nwakaibe(m): 3:09pm On Jun 17, 2008
jydeboy:

what type of relationship were u keeping with the baby? hope not the sinful type of jumping into bed and out. remember how we say in the confessional, that through his grace we wont enter into sin again.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 5:10pm On Jun 17, 2008
ebos:

Hey guys!

How is everything? Oby, I can’t understand what’s preventing me from praying my Rosary. Though, I try to make it as simple as possible to recite it, but not one bit simpler. Could it be the reason why Satan was able to build a Super-Soldier? [/b]

The truth is that I don’t enjoy missing my Rosary. However, if I’m going to continue to take my devotion time chasing shadows, I would be remiss to ignore the booby traps of Satan – that’s apply to each and everyone of us. Hope, we need more grace? I need o.

Oh, Lady, you too were once under this very attack? We thank God you came out alive. It only takes the grace of God to survive the attack. How's life with u?

Viee and Lindiwe - where are you guys? Spare and simplify your time for us here because the ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. So, let the necessary speak here right away. grin

Carlosein [/b]and [b]Pamperme what has gone wrong that you don’t talk to each other for now? Lawyer, wetin dey happen?

How is she now?
Remember a prayerless christain is a powerless christain, this is where the enemy can penetrate us easily.  We have to try, the race is not easy but by the Grace of God is easy.  The flesh is our problem, but the Spirit is ever willing.  We have to suffer the flesh to lift up our spiritual life.  Prayer is the only weapon of the Christain, except you want the enemy to use you for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 9:50am On Jun 18, 2008
MASS READING FOR TODAY

FIRST READING: 1Kings 2:6-14

This is what happened when the Lord took Elijah up to heaven in the whirlwind: Elijah and Elisha set out from Gilgal. Elijah said, 'Elisha, please stay here, Yahweh is only sending me to the Jordan'. But he replied, 'As Yahweh lives and as you yourself live, I will not leave you!' And they went on together.

Fifty of the brotherhood of prophets followed them, halting some distance away as the two of them stood beside the Jordan. Elijah took his cloak, rolled it up and struck the water; and the water divided to left and right, and the two of them crossed over dry-shod. When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, 'Make your request. What can I do for you before I am taken from you?' Elisha answered, 'Let me inherit a double share of your spirit'. 'Your request is a difficult one' Elijah said. 'If you see me while I am being taken from you, it shall be as you ask; if not, it will not be so.' Now as they walked on, talking as they went, a chariot of fire appeared and horses of fire, coming between the two of them; and Elijah went up to heaven in the whirlwind. Elisha saw it, and shouted, 'My father! My father! Chariot of Israel and its chargers!' Then he lost sight of him, and taking hold of his clothes he tore them in half. He picked up the cloak of Elijah which had fallen, and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan.

He took the cloak of Elijah and struck the water. 'Where is Yahweh, the God of Elijah?' he cried. He struck the water, and it divided to right and left, and Elisha crossed over.

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 30
Response: Let your heart take courage,
all who hope in the Lord.

1. How great is the goodness, Lord,
that you keep for those who fear you,
that you show to those who trust you
in the sight of men. Response

2. You hide them in the shelter of your presence
from the plotting of men:
you keep them safe within your tent
from disputing tongues. Response

3. Love the Lord, all you saints.
He guards his faithful
but the Lord will repay to the full
those who act with pride. Response

GOSPEL: Matthew 6:1-6. 16-18

Jesus said to his disciples: 'Be careful not to parade your good deeds before men to attract their notice; by doing this you will lose all reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give alms, do not have it trumpeted before you; this is what the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win men's admiration. I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing; your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

'And when you pray, do not imitate the hypocrites: they love to say their prayers standing up in the synagogues and at the street corners for people to see them; I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you pray, go to your private room and, when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
'When you fast do not put on a gloomy look as the hypocrites do: they pull long faces to let men know they are fasting. I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face,8 so that no one will know you are fasting except your Father who sees all that is done in secret; and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 9:56am On Jun 18, 2008
SAINT OF THE DAY

June 18, 2008

Venerable Matt Talbot

(1856-1925)

Matt can be considered the patron of men and women struggling with alcoholism.
Matt was born in Dublin, where his father worked on the docks and had a difficult time supporting his family. After a few years of schooling, Matt obtained work as a messenger for some liquor merchants; there he began to drink excessively. For 15 years—until he was 30—Matt was an active alcoholic.

One day he decided to take "the pledge" for three months, make a general confession and begin to attend daily Mass. There is evidence that Matt’s first seven years after taking the pledge were especially difficult. Avoiding his former drinking places was hard. He began to pray as intensely as he used to drink. He also tried to pay back people from whom he had borrowed or stolen money while he was drinking.

Most of his life Matt worked as a builder’s laborer. He joined the Secular Franciscan Order and began a life of strict penance; he abstained from meat nine months a year. Matt spent hours every night avidly reading Scripture and the lives of the saints. He prayed the rosary conscientiously. Though his job did not make him rich, Matt contributed generously to the missions.

After 1923 his health failed and Matt was forced to quit work. He died on his way to church on Trinity Sunday. Fifty years later Pope Paul VI gave him the title venerable.

Comment:

In looking at the life of Matt Talbot, we may easily focus on the later years when he had stopped drinking for some time and was leading a penitential life. Only alcoholic men and women who have stopped drinking can fully appreciate how difficult the earliest years of sobriety were for Matt.

He had to take one day at a time. So do the rest of us.

Quote:
On an otherwise blank page in one of Matt’s books, the following is written: "God console thee and make thee a saint. To arrive at the perfection of humility four things are necessary: to despise the world, to despise no one, to despise self, to despise being despised by others."
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 12:12pm On Jun 18, 2008
GOSPEL:                      Matthew 6:1-6. 16-18

Jesus said to his disciples: 'Be careful not to parade your good deeds before men to attract their notice; by doing this you will lose all reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give alms, do not have it trumpeted before you; this is what the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win men's admiration. I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing; your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

'And when you pray, do not imitate the hypocrites: they love to say their prayers standing up in the synagogues and at the street corners for people to see them; I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you pray, go to your private room and, when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
'When you fast do not put on a gloomy look as the hypocrites do: they pull long faces to let men know they are fasting. I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face,8 so that no one will know you are fasting except your Father who sees all that is done in secret; and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

MEDITATION OF THE DAY
In the eyes of God, the reasons behind our fasting, praying, or acts of charity are more important than the actions themselves.  If we perform religious acts for the eyes of other people, their praise will be our only reward.  If done for spiritual motives (love, mercy, compassion), God will repay us richly in this life to come.  Despite the clarity of the Lord's message in Matthew, it is very difficult for us to obey it because of our fallen nature.  We are always wanting to glorify ourselves rather than God.  Jesus' basic message is that we should have pure intentions when we perform good deeds.  These acts of self-sacrifice are meant to bring us closer to God, to take the focus off ourselves and put it on God.  They are to be done with a humble heart in imitation of Christ who gave of himself unto death.  How is this humanly possible?  Let us look to Christ for the answer.  Jesus is the perfect example of how to act with a pure heart for the glory of God.  He was the only righteous one (Rom. 3 : 10-18, 23-24), and only in Christ can we be justified (Galatians 2 : 16 ).  He knew the holiness of God and all he did was for the glory of his Father.  It is Christ who enables us to glorify God rather than ourselves.  From him we can learn of the holiness of God and the darkness of sin and be brought to the point where our acts are for his glory, not our own. "Holy Spirit, bring me to an understanding of the holiness of God and teach me how worthy he is to receive all glory adn praise.  Grant me the wisdom to give of myself with love, kindness and compassion and let all that I do be done for his glory, not for my own."

CATHOLIC SPEAKS TODAY
Life is a gift from the Creator, to be spent  in the service of one's brothers and sisters who, in the plan of salvation, can always draw benefit from it,  It is to be accepted, respected and promoted with every means available, and defended from every threat.  POPE JOHN PAUL II 1920-2005.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 1:13pm On Jun 18, 2008
jydeboy:

yepa shocked am in trouble o
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lady2(f): 3:18pm On Jun 18, 2008
Hey guys!

How is everything? Oby, I can’t understand what’s preventing me from praying my Rosary. Though, I try to make it as simple as possible to recite it, but not one bit simpler. Could it be the reason why Satan was able to build a Super-Soldier?

Viee and Lindiwe - where are you guys? Spare and simplify your time for us here because the ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. So, let the necessary speak here right away.

Carlosein and Pamperme what has gone wrong that you don’t talk to each other for now? Lawyer, wetin dey happen?

How is mum? This is why we have to stay in prayer at all times. I too fall short on praying especially the rosary, but I thank God for his saving grace.

Oby and Pam thanks for the word and meditation. You are greatly appreciated.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 9:15am On Jun 19, 2008

FIRST READING: Ecclesiasticus 48:1-14

Then the prophet Elijah arose like a fire,
his word flaring like a torch.
It was he who brought famine on them,
and who decimated them in his zeal.
By the word of the Lord, he shut up the heavens,
he also, three times, brought down fire.
How glorious you were in your miracles, Elijah!
Has anyone reason to boast as you have?-
rousing a corpse from death,
from Sheol by the word of the Most High;
dragging kings down to destruction,
and high dignitaries from their beds;
hearing reproof on Sinai,
and decrees of punishment on Horeb;
anointing kings as avengers,
and prophets to succeed you;
taken up in the whirlwind of fire,
in a chariot with fiery horses;
designated in the prophecies of doom
to allay God's wrath before the fury breaks,
to turn the hearts of fathers towards their children,
and to restore the tribes of Jacob,
Happy shall they be who see you,
and those who have fallen asleep in love;
for we too will have life.

Elijah was shrouded in the whirlwind,
and Elisha was filled with his spirit;
throughout his life no ruler could shake him,
and no one could subdue him.
No task was too hard for him,
and even in death his body prophesied.
In his lifetime he performed wonders,
and in death his works were marvellous.

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 96
Response: Rejoice, you just, in the Lord.

1. The Lord is king, let earth rejoice,
the many coastlands be glad.
Cloud and darkness are his raiment;
his throne, justice and right. Response

2. A fire prepares his path;
it bums up his foes on every side.
His lightnings light up the world,
the earth trembles at the sight. Response

3. The mountains melt like wax
before the Lord of all the earth.
The skies proclaim his justice;
all peoples see his glory. Response

4. Let those who serve idols be ashamed,
those who boast of their worthless gods.
All you spirits, worship him. Response

Gospel Acclamation 1 Sam 3; 9

Alleluia, alleluia!
Speak, Lord, your servant is listening:
you have the message of eternal life.
Alleluia!

or Rom 8: 15

Alleluia, alleluia!
The spirit you received is the spirit of sons,
and it makes us cry out, 'Abba Father'.
Alleluia!

GOSPEL: Matthew : 6:7-15

Jesus said to his disciples: In your prayers do not babble as the pagans do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard. Do not be like them; your Father knows what you need before you ask him. So you should pray like this:

'Our Father in heaven,
may your name be held holy,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us.
And do not put us to the test, but save us from the evil one.

Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Pamperme: 9:16am On Jun 19, 2008
SAINT OF THE DAY

June 19, 2008

St. Romuald

(950?-1027)

After a wasted youth, Romuald saw his father kill a relative in a duel over property. In horror he fled to a monastery near Ravenna in Italy. After three years some of the monks found him to be uncomfortably holy and eased him out.
He spent the next 30 years going about Italy, founding monasteries and hermitages. He longed to give his life to Christ in martyrdom, and got the pope’s permission to preach the gospel in Hungary. But he was struck with illness as soon as he arrived, and the illness recurred as often as he tried to proceed.

During another period of his life, he suffered great spiritual dryness. One day as he was praying Psalm 31 (“I will give you understanding and I will instruct you”), he was given an extraordinary light and spirit which never left him.

At the next monastery where he stayed, he was accused of a scandalous crime by a young nobleman he had rebuked for a dissolute life. Amazingly, his fellow monks believed the accusation. He was given a severe penance, forbidden to offer Mass and excommunicated, an unjust sentence he endured in silence for six months.

The most famous of the monasteries he founded was that of the Camaldoli (Campus Maldoli, name of the owner) in Tuscany. Here he founded the Order of the Camaldolese Benedictines, uniting a monastic and hermit life.

His father later became a monk, wavered and was kept faithful by the encouragement of his son.

Comment:

Christ is a gentle leader, but he calls us to total holiness. Now and then men and women are raised up to challenge us by the absoluteness of their dedication, the vigor of their spirit, the depth of their conversion. The fact that we cannot duplicate their lives does not change the call to us to be totally open to God in our own particular circumstances
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Lindiwe(f): 2:42pm On Jun 19, 2008
hey peeps,
can see the house isn't doing bad at all cheesy cheesy cheesy

i've missed y'all! for now, i can only pop in and pop out immediately, but i promise that as soon as i get back on my feet, i shall definitely spend more time here!

catch y'all,

ebos, good to know you're hanging in there! we'll continue to pray for momsie wink wink wink

oby & pam, good work! kudos!
cheers.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 2:58pm On Jun 19, 2008
GOSPEL: Matthew : 6:7-15

Jesus said to his disciples: In your prayers do not babble as the pagans do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard. Do not be like them; your Father knows what you need before you ask him. So you should pray like this:

'Our Father in heaven,
may your name be held holy,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us.
And do not put us to the test, but save us from the evil one.

Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.

MEDITATION OF THE DAY
Consider the depth of what Jesus was saying  about prayer.  From his youngest years, Jesus, who was true God and true man, had come to an intimate knowledge and personal relationship with the Father.  He wanted all his people to have this same type of relationship with God and knew that prayer enables people to experience the love of the Father and gain perspective in their lives.  How do you see prayer? Do you believe that the Father, almighty God and Creator, really wants you to know him in a special way?  Or do you feel that your life is of no consequence to the all-powerful, all present God who holds the universe together? Does the Father really listen to you in prayer?  It is vital that you come to know the answers to these questions. It is important to recall that we are not mere happenings to God.  When our lives do not go the way we hope, or fears about the future well up, we must be able to turn to God we know through prayer and have come to trust as our faithful protector.  

In your prayer time today, ask God to let these spiritual truths become your daily bread.  Our Father will reveal his love to those who hunger after these truths.  You will know by experience what it means to be his son or daughter adn to be able to call him "Father."

CATHOLIC SPEAK TODAY
The world would become better off if people tried to become better.  And people would become better if they stopped trying to become better off.  PETER MAURIN 1877-1949
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 3:02pm On Jun 19, 2008
Lindiwe:

hey peeps,
can see the house isn't doing bad at all cheesy cheesy cheesy

i've missed y'all! for now, i can only pop in and pop out immediately, but i promise that as soon as i get back on my feet, i shall definitely spend more time here!

catch y'all,

ebos, good to know you're hanging in there! we'll continue to pray for momsie wink wink wink

oby & pam, good work! kudos!
cheers.

O Lord I pray for your daughter whose enemies are trying to pull down with sickness, Lord i know you are the Mighty Man in Battle and the Balm of Gilead.  Father come and free her from every powers that is holding her down in the name of Jesus.  Father I also pray for others who are sick also that you O Lord will heal them in the name of Jesus.  Father do this and take all the Glory.  Amen.

Mama you are the great intercessor of your Children, please hear my prayer as i say "Hail Mary full of Grace the Lord is with you, blessed are thou amongst women and blessed is thy fruit of your womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners now and the hour of our death."
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by tina4uj(f): 3:36pm On Jun 19, 2008
We are the image of God, so if u must make an Image ,make the image of ur self. if u want to see how God Look like, see ur neighbor or ur self. there u will see God. mary is just like every other person, that God chose her to bring Jesus to us. it was a fovoiur from God. the bible said ( God favioured mary to be the mother of Jesus.) she was not the only Virgin in that country. u people are puting that woman In troble, God say I can not share my glory with any man. and no one come,s to Him axcept through Jesus. and u catholics are shareing the glory of God with mary. mary is also praying for her self, cos she will still apper in the white thrown Jugdement. stop putting that woman in troble ohhhhhhhh, I like mary oh she Is a role model yes. a wonderfull woman. but not Jesus christ. Note: that the way God uses men to do his work and to save life this day, same thing how God used mary those days to bring Jesus to us, so pleas learn.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 5:21pm On Jun 19, 2008
tina4uj:

We are the image of God, so if u must make an Image ,make the image of your self. if u want to see how God Look like, see your neighbor or your self. there u will see God. mary is just like every other person, that God chose her to bring Jesus to us. it was a fovoiur from God. the bible said ( God favioured mary to be the mother of Jesus.) she was not the only Virgin in that country. u people are puting that woman In troble, God say I can not share my glory with any man. and no one come,s to Him axcept through Jesus. and u catholics are shareing the glory of God with mary. mary is also praying for her self, because she will still apper in the white thrown Jugdement. stop putting that woman in troble ohhhhhhhh, I like mary oh she Is a role model yes. a wonderfull woman. but not Jesus christ. Note: that the way God uses men to do his work and to save life this day, same thing how God used mary those days to bring Jesus to us, so pleas learn.

overtake don overtake overtake undecided

hey guys good to see the thread is still going on strong. lindiwe, everyone seems to be under pressure recently. just take it easy sha.

Oby1:

O Lord I pray for your daughter whose enemies are trying to pull down with sickness, Lord i know you are the Mighty Man in Battle and the Balm of Gilead. Father come and free her from every powers that is holding her down in the name of Jesus. Father I also pray for others who are sick also that you O Lord will heal them in the name of Jesus. Father do this and take all the Glory. Amen.

Mama you are the great intercessor of your Children, please hear my prayer as i say "Hail Mary full of Grace the Lord is with you, blessed are thou amongst women and blessed is thy fruit of your womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners now and the hour of our death."

and the Saints shall answer amen and AMEN!!!

viee, oby how now? take care and God bless.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2008
haaaaaaaaaaaaaa shocked shocked

no one came here today? nat so good o.

nyways just saying bye and have a blessed weekend till we meet again next week.

Glory to Jesus, Honour to Mary!!!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:15am On Jun 23, 2008
Good morning all and hope you all had a nice weekend.
Mine was splendid!  Hello Carl, pam, viee, lindiwe, lawyer, ebos, lady, uzzyan! i dey salute everyone cool abeg make una dey try come online abi grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 11:42am On Jun 23, 2008
Today's Saint

St. John Fisher (1469-1535)

John Fisher is usually associated with Erasmus, Thomas More and other Renaissance humanists. His life, therefore, did not have the external simplicity found in the lives of some saints. Rather, he was a man of learning, associated with the intellectuals and political leaders of his day. He was interested in the contemporary culture and eventually became chancellor at Cambridge. He had been made a bishop at 35, and one of his interests was raising the standard of preaching in England. Fisher himself was an accomplished preacher and writer. His sermons on the penitential psalms were reprinted seven times before his death. With the coming of Lutheranism, he was drawn into controversy. His eight books against heresy gave him a leading position among European theologians.

In 1521 he was asked to study the problem of Henry VIII’s marriage. He incurred Henry’s anger by defending the validity of the king’s marriage with Catherine and later by rejecting Henry’s claim to be the supreme head of the Church of England.

In an attempt to be rid of him, Henry first had him accused of not reporting all the “revelations” of the nun of Kent, Elizabeth Barton. John was summoned, in feeble health, to take the oath to the new Act of Succession. He and Thomas More refused because the Act presumed the legality of Henry’s divorce and his claim to be head of the English Church. They were sent to the Tower of London, where Fisher remained 14 months without trial. They were finally sentenced to life imprisonment and loss of goods.

When the two were called to further interrogations, they remained silent. Fisher was tricked, on the supposition he was speaking privately as a priest, and declared again that the king was not supreme head. The king, further angered that the pope had made John Fisher a cardinal, had him brought to trial on the charge of high treason. He was condemned and executed, his body left to lie all day on the scaffold and his head hung on London Bridge. More was executed two weeks later.

Erasmus said of John Fisher: "He is the one man at this time who is incomparable for uprightness of life, for learning and for greatness of soul."
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 2:30pm On Jun 24, 2008
Today's Saint

Birth of John the Baptist

Jesus called John the greatest of all those who had preceded him: “I tell you, among those born of women, no one is greater than John, ” But John would have agreed completely with what Jesus added: “[Y]et the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he” (Luke 7:28).

John spent his time in the desert, an ascetic. He began to announce the coming of the Kingdom, and to call everyone to a fundamental reformation of life.

His purpose was to prepare the way for Jesus. His Baptism, he said, was for repentance. But One would come who would baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire. John is not worthy even to carry his sandals. His attitude toward Jesus was: “He must increase; I must decrease” (John 3:30).

John was humbled to find among the crowd of sinners who came to be baptized the one whom he already knew to be the Messiah. “I need to be baptized by you” (Matthew 3:14b). But Jesus insisted, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness” (Matthew 3:15b). Jesus, true and humble human as well as eternal God, was eager to do what was required of any good Jew. John thus publicly entered the community of those awaiting the Messiah. But making himself part of that community, he made it truly messianic.

The greatness of John, his pivotal place in the history of salvation, is seen in the great emphasis Luke gives to the announcement of his birth and the event itself—both made prominently parallel to the same occurrences in the life of Jesus. John attracted countless people (“all Judea”) to the banks of the Jordan, and it occurred to some people that he might be the Messiah. But he constantly deferred to Jesus, even to sending away some of his followers to become the first disciples of Jesus.

Perhaps John’s idea of the coming of the Kingdom of God was not being perfectly fulfilled in the public ministry of Jesus. For whatever reason, he sent his disciples (when he was in prison) to ask Jesus if he was the Messiah. Jesus’ answer showed that the Messiah was to be a figure like that of the Suffering Servant in Isaiah. John himself would share in the pattern of messianic suffering, losing his life to the revenge of Herodias.

"And this is not something which was only true once, long ago in the past. It is always true, because the repentance which he preached always remains the way into the kingdom which he announced. He is not a figure that we can forget now that Jesus, the true light, has appeared. John is always relevant because he calls for a preparation which all men need to make. Hence every year there are four weeks in the life of the Church in which it listens to the voice of the Baptist. These are the weeks of Advent" (A New Catechism).
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by ebos(m): 4:10pm On Jun 24, 2008
hey Oby and Lady, my mum is getting better. Oby and Pamperme - I commend u for keeping thread on. The other guys have gone on leave. Visited this thread and if not Oby and Pamperme, it would have been so dried. Viee and Lindiwe wetin come happen? Carlosein and Lady not doing too bad.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 4:14pm On Jun 24, 2008
and what about Ebos? Is he doing fine also? grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 4:15pm On Jun 24, 2008
I'm so glad to hear that she is doing well, thanks be to God Almighty.

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (155) (Reply)

Let Us Be More Tolerant Of Each Other / Anita Oyakhilome Remarries - Dawn-To-Dusk News / Top 5 Largest Church Auditoriums In Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.