Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,552 members, 7,948,138 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 02:45 PM

Atiku Abubakar 2023 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Abubakar 2023 (139 Views)

Rabiu Kwankwaso Visits Atiku Abubakar (Photos) / Atiku Abubakar Meets Bola Tinubu At Airport (Photos) / Atiku Abubakar Visits Calabar , See The Crowd That Welcomed Him - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar 2023 by Hassandukku(m): 2:48pm On Feb 05, 2023
IN 2001, ATIKU AND CALABAR PORT. HE MEANT HIS PROMISE.

When Atiku promises to activate ports around the south south, as indeed, he has promised Akwa Ibom, Delta State, and I suppose elsewhere, just know that it is not an empty promise. Apart from his perspicacity and sagacity in business around the ports, I want to relate an experience which I believe Nigerians may have forgotten.

Sometime around 2001 or thereabouts, while serving as vice-president to Obasanjo, Atiku took benefit of the powers which were bestowed on him by the then president, Obasanjo, and diverted some shipments to Calabar port. Donald Duke's basic preoccupation during his first four years in office as the then governor of Cross River State was to open up an export free zone. He sunk money, time and verve into the programme. It turned out an excellent programme and a success. Well, a success, we all thought it then was-until events intervened, part of which I intend to discuss in this article, very briefly though.

When the ships berthed at the Calabar ports events bellowed like the dusts of a blizzard! Just a few shipments! Cars were emptied into the port, thousands of cars. We, who were resident at the time in Calabar, did not exactly understand what happened. All we saw was that within two weeks, all the hotels in Calabar were booked to the full. Everywhere was brimmed with Igbos and Yorubas and Hausas and folks from all walks of life. Common! What was happening to and in Calabar?!

We got to learn that these folks, who had trooped into town, were importers and owners of goods, mostly used cars, which had arrived in the ships. In two weeks, the sleepy, sedate and sedentary Calabar town stood up on two feet and moved briskly about. There was a roiling beehive in town. Streets were crammed filled with jostling businessmen. Monies flew around with them. Everywhere and everyone was transformed. The entire highway between Calabar, Ikot Ekpene to Aba was crawling with cars never before witnessed in the region.

I went into the port to witness things for myself. What I witnessed shocked me. I saw cars, cars and cars. I was driving a BMW, 3 series, six cylinder, leather interior with full factory fitted air condition. At that time, that car was a joy to own. The traction was something out of this world! I could do a complete bottleneck at 160 kilometres per hour. If you have not driven a BMW car, you are behind in experience. I only just bought the car, after my many escapades with a Mercedes 190. When I got to the port that day, I felt like dumping the BMW right there. But all of this is just to make you enjoy the article, hopefully.

The main point of this article, however, is that, Atiku took a decision which changed an entire region within weeks, transforming the docile, lazy and lacklustre lives of an entire people literally overnight. But, wait a minute. That decision got Atiku into trouble with his boss, Obasanjo. How dare that Atiku would divert shipments from Lagos to Calabar? How dare! The activities I mentioned before now lasted for about two months. While the importers were clearing and removing their cars and wares from the ports, new businesses sprung up. Customs and Immigration officials were all over the town. Agents were hired. Security guards were procured. Vendors of all imaginable sorts came up, all in no time at all. But Obasanjo was angry with Atiku for diverting the shipments to Calabar.

After clearing and carting away those few thousands of cars Calabar went comatose, and subsequently dead. We were excited that for once things were changing around the hitherto sleepy region. But our happiness was cut short. Obasanjo had been angry...and it is said in many quarters, and almost authoritatively too, that it was the first and the beginning of Atiku's many troubles with Obasanjo. Of course, the ships never came again, and not to this day!

I use to wonder if how the lives of people in the entire south south region would have been had that activity continued. By now all of Calabar-Itu highway might have been built up. There is something the ports do to the development of a place. Atiku knows this very well. Atiku is detribalised and has nothing at all against the equitable distribution of wealth among people, especially people who have their naturally endowed advantages.

We have suffered great and irreparable loss over the years by the clannish selfishness of the Yorubas who believe that when activities are shifted away from Lagos then they will lose relevance. What a stupid mentality! This country is unbearably stuffy, honestly. There is no way Lagos will lose its prime place...even if other ports are operating at the same time. Just the selfish believe and the inordinate oppressive tendency of a group of people.

Vote Atiku. He is a decent man. He is a shrewd businessman. He is detribalised. He is urbane. He will know how to run the affairs of this country.
#AtikuOrganizingForAction

Re: Atiku Abubakar 2023 by Softmirror: 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2023
grin THE MAN WEY MAKE PETER OBI RUN 4X40 COMOT FOR PDP. grin
Re: Atiku Abubakar 2023 by yarimo(m): 3:04pm On Feb 05, 2023
Softmirror:
grin THE MAN WEY MAKE PETER OBI RUN 4X40 COMOT FOR PDP. grin

(1) (Reply)

Why We Are Working For Tinubu, Obasa, Others - Campaign Group / FULANI CALIPHATE’S MARTIAL LAW, OR TRANSITIONING TO RENEGOTIATE...~NDIDI UWECHUE / Atiku Sak Sak For President Come 2023.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.