Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,784 members, 7,875,940 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:00 AM

The Technology Of Block Making - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Technology Of Block Making (61956 Views)

Price Of Block In My Side / Construction Process Of Block Of Flat Of Two Story Building @ Alaba Intnl / How Many Units Of Block Will Be Needed To Build A Standard 3 Bedroom Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by VIPICO(m): 3:52pm On Feb 26, 2012
When I will eventually start, I will send you my plan for review before I commence.
More concrete grease to your elbow!
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 4:02pm On Feb 26, 2012
VIPICO:

When I will eventually start, I will send you my plan for review before I commence.
More concrete grease to your elbow!

Will be looking forwaed to it, thanks.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by swiftycool(m): 5:14am On Aug 27, 2012
Hi Mr Spyder, you are really an inspiration to many of us on nairaland. I really look forward to working with you some day.

However, I would like to raise some objections to some issues raised earlier about the difference between strength of vibrated blocks in comparison with hand made ones. Various tests have been carried out to prove the fact that compressive strengths of blocks are enhanced by mechanical compaction using vibration making it possible to get more numbers of STRONGER blocks per bag of cement than from manually made ones despite the mix ratio factors.

Also, it is bad advice to encourage the use of "beach sand" for block making knowing its salt content. Salt is very bad in reacting with cement and results in a reduction in strength overtime. Good sharp sand is gotten from fresh water rivers not salty beaches and the compaction is made stronger by adding a percentage of what is popularly known as "gum sand" or plastering sand, while "stone dust" could be added in little percentage for extra strength.

It is better to encourage people buy from block makers with mechanised production as it has been observed from some investigations that a greater percentage of collapsed buildings were built using handmade blocks or a combination of both.

Anyways, I believe we all learn each day, and I commend u for your good works and intentions here, I know God placed u here for a great purpose, keep shinning!

5 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 7:16am On Aug 27, 2012
swiftycool: Hi Mr Spyder, you are really an inspiration to many of us on nairaland. I really look forward to working with you some day.

However, I would like to raise some objections to some issues raised earlier about the difference between strength of vibrated blocks in comparison with hand made ones. Various tests have been carried out to prove the fact that compressive strengths of blocks are enhanced by mechanical compaction using vibration making it possible to get more numbers of STRONGER blocks per bag of cement than from manually made ones despite the mix ratio factors.

Also, it is bad advice to encourage the use of "beach sand" for block making knowing its salt content. Salt is very bad in reacting with cement and results in a reduction in strength overtime. Good sharp sand is gotten from fresh water rivers not salty beaches and the compaction is made stronger by adding a percentage of what is popularly known as "gum sand" or plastering sand, while "stone dust" could be added in little percentage for extra strength.

It is better to encourage people buy from block makers with mechanised production as it has been observed from some investigations that a greater percentage of collapsed buildings were built using handmade blocks or a combination of both.

Anyways, I believe we all learn each day, and I commend u for your good works and intentions here, I know God placed u here for a great purpose, keep shinning!

Thanks for "resurrecting" this old thread and your points which are not even different from my points. Start from the beginning of the thread and you will note that the two points you raised were addressed properly.

Vibrated blocks vs hand made blocks

In the article I wrote, I was more particular about the mixing ratio and it was not a mistake. I dwelt on the point because that is what makes the difference between strong and weak blocks. Vibration cannot strenghten a weak mix. Imagine if you mix a sand quantity for making 100 blocks with one bag of cement? It will produce very weak blocks that will break on impact with even a feather!
It is good to patronize block makers if and only if their products satisfy my quality tests. I cannot blindly buy blocks only because they were vibrated, not minding how the blocks were made. I will have myself to blame if the blocks they offloaded for me breaks as I try to set blocks, making me lose so much money. In the second page you might notice that I had to advice two friends to buy blocks for some other factors I noticed.

Sand quality

When I say beach, I dont exclusively mean the sea beach. Please you must note that all of us dont reside in Lagos or PH, I was building a duplex in Onitsha Anambra state as at the time I opened this thread. The River Niger is a fresh water and if you are talking about salinity, there are no salt water in Onitsha sands. The sands we used there were tested before use

The least likely cause of building collapse will be the type of blocks used. Blocks contribute very little in terms of structural integrity. Please always look carfully on the qualities of rods, cement and most especially the mixing ratio of cement, sand, stone and water used for columns, beams and slabs. The foundation is another place where mistakes or shoddy work will be disastrous for the building. As I mentioned last year in the first page of this thread, one can build a house till 5 floors without using a single block, and it will not collapse. Columns and beams are the real skeletons of a house, blocks are just the flesh.

Thank you for bringing up the points, very good for us to learn and relearn what we know. Looking forward to working with you. Bye.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by swiftycool(m): 6:19am On Aug 28, 2012
spyder880:
The least likely cause of building collapse will be the type of blocks used. Blocks contribute very little in terms of structural integrity. Please always look carfully on the qualities of rods, cement and most especially the mixing ratio of cement, sand, stone and water used for columns, beams and slabs. The foundation is another place where mistakes or shoddy work will be disastrous for the building. As I mentioned last year in the first page of this thread, one can build a house till 5 floors without using a single block, and it will not collapse. Columns and beams are the real skeletons of a house, blocks are just the flesh.

This I must admit is a very dangerous assumption and has led to the death of people in the past. There is a clear difference between a "partition wall" and a "load bearing wall".

Your reply assumes that all storey buildings are strictly designed as framed structures which isn't so. Houses have been known to collapse as a result of people knocking down walls unknown to be load bearing during renovations thereby compromising the structural integrity of a building.

A load bearing wall should be made of strong well compacted, filled blocks or bricks that's y as architects we specify 225mm mechanically vibrated block walls for the ground floor bearing in mind its requirement to transfer lateral loads to the foundation. Only "Partition or curtain walls" are the ones that can be called flesh which do not require strength as they only cover up the spaces between columns & slabs in framed structures which is a much more expensive construction method.
Plese people Never confuse the two types of walls.

4 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 8:36am On Aug 28, 2012
swiftycool:
This I must admit is a very dangerous assumption and has led to the death of people in the past. There is a clear difference between a "partition wall" and a "load bearing wall".

Your reply assumes that all storey buildings are strictly designed as framed structures which isn't so. Houses have been known to collapse as a result of people knocking down walls unknown to be load bearing during renovations thereby compromising the structural integrity of a building.

A load bearing wall should be made of strong well compacted, filled blocks or bricks that's y as architects we specify 225mm mechanically vibrated block walls for the ground floor bearing in mind its requirement to transfer lateral loads to the foundation. Only "Partition or curtain walls" are the ones that can be called flesh which do not require strength as they only cover up the spaces between columns & slabs in framed structures which is a much more expensive construction method.
Plese people Never confuse the two types of walls.

I dont see any reason to continue this exchange since it is going off topic. The thread is all about block making and its techniques, not about structural efficiency. I will soon open a thread about the causes of building collapse. Thank you for your points anyway. Have a nice day.

5 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by mafifle: 3:57pm On Nov 05, 2012
@Prof Refired!

@Prof Spyder, how many 9inch block can i get with a bag of cement and what is the number of bags i can use for a trip of sand that will give me a strong and economical block.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 4:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
mafifle: @Prof Refired!

@Prof Spyder, how many 9inch block can i get with a bag of cement and what is the number of bags i can use for a trip of sand that will give me a strong and economical block.

It depends a lot on where the blocks will be used. If it is for walling, I make 25-28 blocks of 9" from a bag of cement. I expect to use around 9 bags of cement with 1 trip of 10 ton tipper of sand.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by mafifle: 5:28pm On Nov 05, 2012
spyder880:

It depends a lot on where the blocks will be used. If it is for walling, I make 25-28 blocks of 9" from a bag of cement. I expect to use around 9 bags of cement with 1 trip of 10 ton tipper of sand.

Thanks.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by efe2000: 12:53am On Nov 08, 2012
very invaluable information here, uncle spyder weldone
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Solozzo(m): 10:06pm On Jan 20, 2013
Thanks uncle Spyder.

I'm concerned about reducing heat in the house and wish to use hollow blocks throughout for a four bedroom duplex. Site engineer recommended using 9inch hollow for the ground floor and 6inch hollow for the upper floor. Is this okay?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by payoski: 9:35am On Feb 01, 2013
YoungBrain:

Dear Sir Spyder

Please kindly redo this topic with more details like mixing ratios, number of blocks per bag(9" ,6" hollows and 5",6" solids)
pictures of best quality of sand to use.

You might be suprised to know how many students are eagerly waiting for this lecture
@ young brain our CLASS PREFECT 'hahhahaaha' tx for speaking on our behalf am one of de student in question
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by payoski: 11:20am On Feb 01, 2013
spyder880:

Thank you my man, firstly, your user name sounds familiar, maybe from my former base on SMN?

May I also point out that your inputs about room temperatures within the hollow type of blocks and the solid blocks is an ongoing debate that has not been put to any clinical trial like an experiment with a room thermometer or any other device, maybe some of has to conduct this test to set that argument to rest once and for all. I have lived in houses with both hollow and solid blocks and cannot tell the difference in temperature.

In my present abode, which I am sure was built with hollow blocks, I cannot see any heating of the rooms at night, my rooms are always too cold at night to the extent that I always use blanket for most of the year. I live upstairs though.

On your second point about why 5'' and 4'' blocks are not frequently used, I think it has something to do with the pillar size, diameter. The bigger the width of the blocks you use, the thicker your column, beam sizes as the columns take same size with the blocks it supports. People always feel safer using bigger columns, especially upstairs buildings.

I know more experts will throw more light on this.
@Oga spy, what is de meaning SMN, maybe i will join you there as yr student, haahahhahhh
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by payoski: 11:49am On Feb 01, 2013
Good job from oga spy, Weldone
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 1:14pm On Feb 01, 2013
payoski: @Oga spy, what is de meaning SMN, maybe i will join you there as yr student, haahahhahhh

SMN, stockmarketnigeria.com is a site where we trade Nigerian stocks.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by SwaziJacs: 5:55pm On Jun 17, 2013
Hello,
I am wanting to make my own 4.5 & 9" hollow blocks using a one block mould to build our house. I am using cement and quarry crush. Can someone please tell me what the correct ratio of cement to crush is in order to make decent blocks. How many blocks should I expect from a bag of cement?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by topall(m): 3:20am On Jul 08, 2014
Most mini block machines in Nigeria is separated from the engine, but we Topall engineers improved new model with engine in block machine itself.

BM01 model produces one piece 9inches hollow block one time.

BM02 model produces two pieces 9inches hollow block one time.

Also egg laying model was designed by our engineer during staying in Nigeria for more than 5years.

EBM03-6D produces 3pcs 9inches hollow block one time.

Even larger model like BM5-10E , video links from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQTN0Ljxlw

BM5-10E produces 5pcs 9inches hollow blocks one time, 8pcs of 6inches hollow blocks one time.

We would like to share everything and provide solutions regarding block machines from Nigeria.

Jack/Topall/China
+8615861672347
Marketing Manager

wa@topall.biz
sales@topall.biz

Newest products from
https://www.facebook.com/jacktopall
http://www.topall.biz

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
spyder. where art thou?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
am enjoying ur thread....
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 9:18pm On Dec 10, 2014
chiebube:
spyder. where art thou?

I am fully around, still looking at newer ways to do all these, especially making better blocks. ......
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by instinct(m): 6:59pm On Jan 11, 2015
What is the ideal hollow block size for fencing? 6"?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 12:03am On Jan 12, 2015
instinct:
What is the ideal hollow block size for fencing? 6"?

Yes.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dgitrader(m): 12:56pm On Feb 22, 2015
hello spyder880

thanks for giving us somuch insights

i wish to ask how many 9" blocks will two seperate units soakaway(septic tanks) require? the dimension is 10*8feet with dept of 10feet. the area is a very dry and solid environment.

and is it advisable to mould the blocks? strict supervision and watering isnt a problem because it is a secured location.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2015
dgitrader:
hello spyder880

thanks for giving us somuch insights

i wish to ask how many 9" blocks will two seperate units soakaway(septic tanks) require? the dimension is 10*8feet with dept of 10feet. the area is a very dry and solid environment.

and is it advisable to mould the blocks? strict supervision and watering isnt a problem because it is a secured location.

About 180 blocks, yes you can mould the blocks if you can monitor the quality.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dgitrader(m): 10:13pm On Apr 14, 2015
Hello spyder880
Kindly share ur ideas on this type of glass block, in terms of how to fix it, it's pros and cons and also possible present cost of it in ur axis. I got them and about to fix but my very experienced Mason with over 20years experience has never applied it before.

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 11:24pm On Apr 14, 2015
dgitrader:
Hello spyder880
Kindly share ur ideas on this type of glass block, in terms of how to fix it, it's pros and cons and also possible present cost of it in ur axis. I got them and about to fix but my very experienced Mason with over 20years experience has never applied it before.

I have the remnants of the last ones I used in my Owerri duplex project, only experienced masons can do that work, my Togolese mason fixed the last ones, he used the spacers which comes with it.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by mufutau55(m): 12:23am On Apr 15, 2015
dgitrader:
Hello spyder880

Ask your Tiler, they can do it too..

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dgitrader(m): 5:27am On Apr 15, 2015
Thanks so much. I will work with the info you guys provided. Nairaland property section has been a blessing because of people like you.
mufutau55:

Ask your Tiler, they can do it too..
Hajji M.
spyder880:

I have the remnants of the last ones I used in my Owerri duplex project, only experienced masons can do that work, my Togolese mason fixed the last ones, he used the spacers which comes with it.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by seedgie(m): 5:09pm On May 06, 2015
mufutau55:
Ask your Tiler, they can do it too.. Hajji M.
seconded. Tilers know hw to fix it.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 2:06pm On May 16, 2015

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by okeymadu(m): 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2015
I am about to commerce construction of 4 units of 3 bedroom storey building at Olokonla close to Pan Atlantic University, Ajah.

Is it advisable to include stone dust in the mixture of the cement and sharp sand? I'm sourcing the sand at Sangotedo.

I'm thinking of making 30 pieces of 9 inches block per cement bag.

Hope it is Ok?

I purchased blocks for the fencing of the land.

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by austinefx(m): 9:40pm On Sep 05, 2015
topall:
Most mini block machines in Nigeria is separated from the engine, but we Topall engineers improved new model with engine in block machine itself.

BM01 model produces one piece 9inches hollow block one time.

BM02 model produces two pieces 9inches hollow block one time.

Also egg laying model was designed by our engineer during staying in Nigeria for more than 5years.

EBM03-6D produces 3pcs 9inches hollow block one time.

Even larger model like BM5-10E , video links from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQTN0Ljxlw

BM5-10E produces 5pcs 9inches hollow blocks one time, 8pcs of 6inches hollow blocks one time.

We would like to share everything and provide solutions regarding block machines from Nigeria.

Jack/Topall/China
+8615861672347
Marketing Manager

wa@topall.biz
sales@topall.biz

Newest products from
https://www.facebook.com/jacktopall
http://www.topall.biz
http://topmac.en.made-in-china.com/
http://www.topall.cc
http://topmac.ffob.org

Please send me details of cost of your annual block moulding machine and your egg laying mobile block moulding machine. My email is austineedogbo@yahoo.ca

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Many Plots Of Land Can We Find In An Acres. Urgent / 21-Storey Building Collapses In Ikoyi, Lagos. Many Trapped (Video) / Cost, Estimate For Building A 3bedroom Bungalow In Nigeria (Detailed Info)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.