Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,558 members, 7,888,790 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:20 PM

My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! (862 Views)

The Dating Experience Of Nigerian Ladies In Canada / My Funny Experience Of How This Lady Tried To Force Herself On Me. (PHOTO) / Plus-Sized Lady With Huge Bum Twerks & Performs On Stage, Crowd Goes Gaga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 06, 2023
Today is the first time I'll be mandated to address a crowd (fellow students) COMPULSORILY . It happens that we were given a group work to do,of which every member of the group is mandated to speak.

Now, right from my primary school days despite being the number one student (head boy), my teachers then always wanted to groom me to participate in debate,but I'm a very shy type (till date) I always disappoint them,so they'd drop me and take someone else who isn't shy to represent the school.

Even while growing up,I find it difficult relating well with people,I hardly look at you eye ball to eye ball when we are talking.

So today I was asked to analyse a novel I read,I actually know what I wanted to say but I just found myself shaking,as in I was literally trembling in the presence of students (pardon me that I have to say this, I'm actually older than most of them with at least 6 years,so you can know the degree to which this thing has eaten me up). I was actually saying the right things but I was shaking,my hands and my feet was shaking seriously.
After the class some of the students avoided me (those who will greet me on a norms),I asked some of them how I did,they said I tried only one of them was bold enough to tell me that he was really surprised I was trembling, and I told him I haven't done it before.
And this was the second class we are having today, because of how I embarrassed myself I left the campus straight to my hostel with the intention of not going to the remaining two classes I have,well luckily for me both classes was cancelled.
I went to my hostel to cool my mind cos this thing was somehow affecting me psychologically,in my mind I was like with the way I messed up myself now,some of the students who look at me like this one senior us will lose some respect, they'd feel like he doesn't have balls,what of my crushes , it's obvious I've lost them but what really matters to me now is how can I kill this fear because for sure more of this presentations is still coming up.

NB: I think where I lived when growing up also added to this,I was treated with disdain and hatred by my step mum,I can't even talk in her presence like she killed the little confidence in me.

We are over 200 in the class.

Nairaland please motivate me. embarassed

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Sonnobax15(m): 9:39pm On Feb 06, 2023
grin
Op,I can relate.......My own first time to address a crowd was way back in my secondary school days....I Remember it was during a debate....I tried to convince my then English studies teacher that I was a stutter,but she still insist that I must partake in tht debate because I used to be a very good writer... Mehnnnnn,lo and behold,na so I waka enter front of our school hall, filled up with students from other classes grin. My gang members were miming and staring at me funnily, just to make sure I flop grin. Omoh, Na once I begin loose guard grin. I begin speak swahili coupled with afrikaans grin Everyone was stirred into laughter.

But after then,I think I became bold..I started conducting assemblies and even went out to represent my school during an inter school debate competition....

So my brother man op,no give up on yourself.....If I,obax the bloody stammering stutterer can overcome it,then you too can.✌️

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by HumbleTrader: 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2023
The Op needs to find a chair, sit down and ask himself, what is the worst that can happen, if a whole Tinubu can bala blu when addressing a crowd, who are you?

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Mustiboy(m): 9:42pm On Feb 06, 2023
My number-one problem throughout my school years. Unfortunately, I didn’t overcome it, so I’ve come to accept that’s just how I am.

The only bad side is that it has led to other kinds of inhibitions
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Weirdcamila: 9:45pm On Feb 06, 2023
Don’t look at anyones face while talking . If tinubu can do it , you can do it too
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by HumbleTrader: 9:46pm On Feb 06, 2023
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by BeardedmeatR(m): 9:47pm On Feb 06, 2023
grin

Op, practice makes perfect. Knowing the subjects you are to talk about very well is key.

You can record your voice or video yourself when practicing in your room to help you review your performance.

You can practice by presenting to a group of friends before the d day.

When you present, make few eye contacts and look above the sea of heads seated more.

Take a deep breath and exhale severally as it's getting to your turn to speak.

Try and keep a smile on your face for the most part.

Practice practice practice!

Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Sonnobax15(m): 9:48pm On Feb 06, 2023
HumbleTrader:
The Op needs to find a chair, sit down and ask himself, what is the worst that can happen, if a whole Tinubu can bala blu when addressing a crowd, who are you?
. That's enough motivation bro grin. Na matter of time,him too go overcome am and if he get luck,he fit still contest for presidency one day too grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Haakeem(m): 9:50pm On Feb 06, 2023
If you were a Muslim.
All you need to do is just to say a Dua and you get the courage.
If you're a Christian better convert to Muslim because Christianity would do you no good when issah comes back.
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by BeardedmeatR(m): 9:54pm On Feb 06, 2023
Haakeem:
If you were a Muslim.
If you're a Christian better convert to Muslim because Christianity would do you no good when issah comes back.
This is advice should be for Tinubu the mooslim who can't recite fatia
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by MycroftHolmes: 9:58pm On Feb 06, 2023
You can't kill fear by avoiding the things you fear.

You can only get better at a thing by actually taking out more time to do it.

I think the problem you have is that you think too much about your performance. For your next presentation, I suggest you prepare adequately; but don't be too tense or serious. Just free yourself and speak naturally; just imagine you're speaking to a friend and be totally comfortable. I believe that you will do better. You too can be a good speaker.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by JoeRizzla(m): 10:00pm On Feb 06, 2023
Take some w33d. You go dey alright
Ballzproblem2:
disregard this advice, following shortcut won't do you good, you will have to rely on it until becomes an addiction,and you can no longer stop creating a whole new problem,I repeat there's no shortcut to this

Chill, no take am serious
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Sonnobax15(m): 10:01pm On Feb 06, 2023
Haakeem:
If you were a Muslim.
. Make we hear word abeg aboki undecided

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Ballzproblem2: 10:03pm On Feb 06, 2023
my own was in secondary School,I was asked to participate in ludo ,for inter house sports ,that day was the longest day of my lifegrin,if fact I didn't care if lost or win i just wanted to leave the area ,man , OP you are not alone ,my advice is start now to combat it ,there's no shortcut is on in the head
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Ballzproblem2: 10:05pm On Feb 06, 2023
Haakeem:
If you were a Muslim.
no wonder you guys are backward cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Ballzproblem2: 10:07pm On Feb 06, 2023
JoeRizzla:
Take some w33d. You go dey alright
disregard this advice, following shortcut won't do you good, you will have to rely on it until becomes an addiction,and you can no longer stop creating a whole new problem,I repeat there's no shortcut to this
Re: My Experience Of Addressing Crowd For The First Time!!! by Demigod22: 4:02pm On Feb 07, 2023
I started addressing public from primary school as press club member. Then in secondary School, I started performing on stage as comedian, actor, press club member, prefect and all that. So when I got to University, I read Theatre Arts, so it was a promo to me whenever I am to address a crowd.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sex Mama / What's The Best Dating Advice You Have Heard? / If You Want To Mend A Broken Heart, Look No Further

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.