Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,675 members, 7,892,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 04:18 PM

El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline (990 Views)

Electoral Act: FG May Go To Court Over Rejected Buhari’s Request - Malami / El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 / Shehu Sani: Why We Rejected Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by iwaeda: 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2023
Nasir el-Rufai, governor of Kaduna, has explained why he refused to accept the fresh resolutions proposed by the federal government on the naira redesign policy.

TheCable had reported that the federal government proposed conditions on the naira redesign policy, including a new deadline of April 10 for the old notes.

A government official had also said the resolutions presented to members of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) included “that the old naira notes of N200 be allowed free movement in and out of the banks for the next 60 days”.

El-Rufai was said to have rejected the proposed resolutions, and insisted on a total cancellation of the naira redesign policy.

Reacting to the development in a statement by Muyiwa Adekeye, his spokesperson, the Kaduna governor explained the reason for his rejection of the resolutions, and described the federal government’s proposal as “insincere”.

See the full statement below.

A few hours after the Supreme Court adjourned the “currency redesign” case today, TheCable, a respected publication, published what it described as an exclusive story regarding the intentions of the Federal Government on the matter.

Advertisement

Malam Nasir El-Rufai would like to clarify that TheCable has been misled by its sources on this issue. There has been no meeting this week between the FG and either the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) or the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF), not to talk of one lasting till the wee hours of today, Wednesday, 15 February 2023.

Rather, senior officials of the FG reached some governors, including Malam Nasir El-Rufai, on phone to initiate discussions on a possible out of court settlement. The terms they proposed were to allow only the old N200 note to remain legal tender and be circulated by the CBN till 10 April 2023. They claimed that the CBN had already destroyed the old N500 and N1000 notes that had been deposited, but that those persons who still held the old notes could redeem them up to 10 April 2023.

These were not considered as serious proposals, for obvious reasons. Circulating the old N200 notes alone would not be sufficient to relieve widespread human suffering in Kaduna State, and indeed in Nigeria today.They knew that and that is why they falsely claimed that the CBN had already destroyed the old N500 and N1000 notes.

This is contrary to the fact available to the governors to the effect that the old notes were in the custody of commercial bank branches throughout Nigeria until the evening of Monday, February 13, and not a single N500 or N1000 had been destroyed.

It is also a non-starter to insist on a new cut off date without first assuring that sufficient new notes would have been printed and circulated. Information available to the governors also indicate that the Mint will need at least 12 months to print the minimum amount of N1 trillion needed to ensure a functioning trade and exchange environment in Nigeria.

The tabling of false facts, inadequate solutions to the sufferings of our people, and the bad faith that some of the FG negotiators displayed in our phone conversations and chats have now been taken further in leaking a false account and context to a respected medium. The plaintiff governors rejected the draft proposal as insincere, and invested our hopes in the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

Malam Nasir El-Rufai will be addressing the people of Kaduna State on this currency redesign mess, the consequences of the extension of the injunction of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, and related matters tomorrow.

But the Kaduna State Government feels it is important tonight not to allow an exclusive falsehood to stand, or even gain the slightest traction. This statement is therefore issued to put the records straight.

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-el-rufai-explains-why-he-rejected-buharis-proposal-to-extend-old-naira-deadline/amp

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by limeta(f): 9:39pm On Feb 15, 2023
Tinubu is a fool to believe El Rufai is working for him

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by iwaeda: 9:47pm On Feb 15, 2023
limeta:

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by SmartPolician: 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2023
All I have to say is that I observed that the wailers and the hailers have switched places because the supposed wailers are now the hailers, while the former hailers are now the unstoppable wailers 😂😂😂

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by Onyiridike(f): 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2023
Can El-Rufai rest and stop constituting nuisance to public space?

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by PrinceOfLagos: 10:02pm On Feb 15, 2023
El rufai is making a fool of himself

He should be investigated, seems he's got huge stack of N1000 notes hidden somewhere
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by Siwisheswereesh: 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2023
Any extension beyond the elections would do for now... embarassed
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by XLence: 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2023
Emergency masses advocate. Only discerning minds know this man and his cohorts are the cause of the furore surrounding the currency swap. All of these would have been behind us after the initial deadline. New notes would have been in circulation more, because I know some people that are hoarding it currently. With the SC intervention, there's more uncertainty and nobody knows the way forward.
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by XerXers: 10:12pm On Feb 15, 2023
limeta:
Yorubas are born fulani slaves. Afonja urchins were already celebrating. It's even FG proposal which CBN was not part of and El Rufai rejected it. Can you see how they are staging drama to decieve Tinubu? These fulani just dey use afonjas brain play ludo. Old naira note is gone forever
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by MadeInTokyo: 10:17pm On Feb 15, 2023
The terms they proposed were to allow only the old N200 note to remain legal tender and be circulated by the CBN till 10 April 2023. They claimed that the CBN had already destroyed the old N500 and N1000 notes that had been deposited, but that those persons who still held the old notes could redeem them up to 10 April 2023

These were not considered as serious proposals, for obvious reasons. Circulating the old N200 notes alone would not be sufficient to relieve widespread human suffering in Kaduna State, and indeed in Nigeria today.They knew that and that is why they falsely claimed that the CBN had already destroyed the old N500 and N1000 notes.
His El Rufai actually working for Tinubu or working for Atiku
El Rufai with his statement above is neither here or there
It's les than 10 days to election
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by blabulu2000: 10:33pm On Feb 15, 2023
Jagaban...don.win....

Obi asslicker will.be wailing ....

Wailing wailers crew ....crawl.out of your shell.with enough Tissie paper...come and wail on the Seun Oshewa platform..

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by Benesis: 10:34pm On Feb 15, 2023
Omohh, last last
The rumour was correct,banks were asked to resupply the 200notes.
But to what aim, there are no new notes, why suffer us ,?
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by Racoon(m): 10:38pm On Feb 15, 2023
The midget thinks Buhari gives a damn about all he have been ranting about being a spurner of many court orders.
Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by drlateef: 11:07pm On Feb 15, 2023
XerXers:

Yorubas are born fulani slaves. Afonja urchins were already celebrating. It's even FG proposal which CBN was not part of and El Rufai rejected it. Can you see how they are staging drama to decieve Tinubu? These fulani just dey use afonjas brain play ludo. Old naira note is gone forever

Peter Obi has lost this election. You need to accept that and stop wailing all over the place on NL.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: Why I Rejected Buhari’s Proposal To Extend Old Naira Deadline by iwaeda: 11:43pm On Feb 15, 2023
drlateef:

Peter Obi has lost this election. You need to accept that and stop wailing all over the place on NL.
Just like Tinubu. Atiku is the next President. grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Uzodimma: US Denied Supreme Court Justices Visa – Donald Duke / There Will Be No Election In Biafra Land / Simon Ekpa: Do You Sit At Home Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.