Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,137 members, 7,916,334 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:44 PM

Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award (22618 Views)

Chiellini: Ronaldo Was ROBBED Of Ballon D'or In 2018, Madrid Wanted To Stop Him / Mohamed Salah Named BBC African Footballer Of The Year / Vote For Victor Moses As BBC African Footballer Of The Year 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Elibaba1: 1:49pm On Feb 17, 2023
SenatePresdo:

Taya Toure is miles ahead of Mikel.

Mikel winning an African best should be a disgrace to our continent in the football world.

I'm Igbo, and I'm also a die hard Chelsea fan.

All round, Yaya May be better. But football awards are giving every “Year under Review” as far as that year (2013) was concerned Mikel Obi was better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Omoluabi16(m): 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2023
SenatePresdo:
Mikel how many assist and goals did you score in that 2013?

So if Maguire wins world Cup, champions league and Premier league without any significant contributions, they will give him world best?

All these trophy based awards are useless.
Are you saying Mikel obi was not significant in our Afcon triumph? The man played 120 minutes in arguably the biggest game in football against Bayern Munich. He should have won . But then, it was basically why okocha kept losing to etoo. Football is a strikers game.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Timoleon(m): 1:56pm On Feb 17, 2023
Even at that AFCON 2013, Emenike and Sunday Mba were more instrumental to the team than Mikel.
cunny88:
Yaya Toure was way better than Mikel in his prime. Mikel had a good Nations cup that year but there was nothing extra in his performance at Chelsea during the period

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Elidrisy20: 1:58pm On Feb 17, 2023
No problem, you still get chance
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Elidrisy20: 2:00pm On Feb 17, 2023
You too, you robbed man U , for signing for Chelsea
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by fx45(m): 2:03pm On Feb 17, 2023
SmartPolician:
Mikel should stop ranting; Mikel was an average footballer. He used to play well when he was at Lyn Islo and played against Messi in the 2005 FIFA tournament. However, Jose Mourinho murdered his career when he joined Chelsea.
How many games in total did Mikel play for Lynn Oslo? Some of you just like to open your mouths waaaaaaa!!!!
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by fabolouz1(m): 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2023
Jay Jay okocha was robbed .
Didier drogba was also robbed .
Issa hayaotu was a tribal king.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Goodlady(f): 2:11pm On Feb 17, 2023
robosky02:

Am waiting how they want to robe osimhen again

This 2023

Sadio mane is injured and out

Mohammed Salah under performing
I read somewhere where they mentioned Ziyech and Mahrez
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Yungmil: 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2023
robosky02:

This 2023

sha. Rap what has osihmen won? Mane won African cup of nations.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by tonykester: 2:20pm On Feb 17, 2023
Nbn
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Harrynight(m): 2:22pm On Feb 17, 2023
unity004:

Can you say the same for Chelsea kante?

Mikel spent 10yrs+ at Chelsea playing 372 games
6goals, 13 Assists

Kanye spent 6yrs for Chelsea playing 222games
12goals, 16 Assists

Be the judge grin

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by enomakos(m): 2:24pm On Feb 17, 2023
Jose Felix ruins this fine player
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by unity004(m): 2:35pm On Feb 17, 2023
Harrynight:

Mikel spent 10yrs+ at Chelsea playing 372 games
6goals, 13 Assists

Kanye spent 6yrs for Chelsea playing 222games
12goals, 16 Assists

Be the judge grin

Went canavaro (Italian defender) won FIFA best player in 2006 how many goals & assist did he have?
What I am pointing out is that performance at African cup of nation should influence awarding African best player award just like world cup is in influencing FIFA Best player award.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by SenatePresdo(m): 2:35pm On Feb 17, 2023
Judolisco:
no mikel was robbed... Ribery 2 was robbed of d balon'dor...

When you say Rob, it sounds as if these players won it, and then supreme court averted it grin

Best player award is an election, team captains and coaches votes are count.

Majority didn't vote for Mike or Ribery, so how is it robbery?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by SenatePresdo(m): 2:37pm On Feb 17, 2023
Elibaba1:

All round, Yaya May be better. But football awards are giving every “Year under Review” as far as that year (2013) was concerned Mikel Obi was better.

The majority of Coaches and captains of the whole African teams said otherwise with their vote cast.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by jydo34547: 2:48pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mikel you still remain my African GOAT. You gave your all to serve Nigeria from junior level to senior level and even captain the National team. I celebrate you.Mikel you still remain my African GOAT. You gave your all to serve Nigeria from junior level to senior level and even captain the National team. I celebrate you....

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by TheSameGuy(m): 2:58pm On Feb 17, 2023
I couldn't get what I was looking for reading your post
Racoon:
A good name is far better than a corruption-ridden CAF award Michel Obi. You got your name etched in the sands of time. Feel fulfilled man.Keep loving your beautiful wife and twin girls. Respect!
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Elock1: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2023
SmartPolician:
Mikel should stop ranting; Mikel was an average footballer. He used to play well when he was at Lyn Islo and played against Messi in the 2005 FIFA tournament. However, Jose Mourinho murdered his career when he joined Chelsea.
u don't know Jack about football
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Geeman2006: 3:32pm On Feb 17, 2023
Starboytwo:
To be fair, Mikel is not really an exciting player like that to be winning APOTY. No goals or assist as a midfielder etc. Yaya scored 24 goals that season.

But make una no worry. Osimhen is here to win us 3 back to back to back APOTY.

True. Guy won much silverware with chelsea, but he's seeming lack of Goals and assist in my opinion made him a boring player. Mourinho killed the real talent in him.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by phemmyfour: 3:47pm On Feb 17, 2023
PlayMaker14:
I was really disappointed in the Issa Hayatou CAF administration, dude was corruption personified and made sure Francophone speaking players goes home with the awards.

Eto'O
Drogba,
Yaya Toure
Adebayor

And a certain Kanouté

2013, a blistering season for Mikel, but he was robbed by CAF.
That Kanoute own was terrible
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by phemmyfour: 3:49pm On Feb 17, 2023
Geeman2006:

True. Guy won much silverware with chelsea, but he's seeming lack of Goals and assist in my opinion made him a boring player. Mourinho killed the real talent in him.
Mourinho indeed

Was Mourinho also responsible for his lack of goals in the national team as no 10. Even at U20, how many goals did he score
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by 77star: 3:59pm On Feb 17, 2023
davidl7:
People left d stage becos the ceremony was in Abuja, Nigeria.

Yaya Toure was too good to come second to Mikel.

I like Mikel too but I remember that year. I was nt surprise that Toure won it.

Where do you compare Mikel to Yaya Toure, Freekick, attack, defence, assist?

Yaya Toure could play as no. 4, 5, 6, 8, 10!

Please there was no basis for comparison.

There has always been politics in African football, but Yaya deserved it.
I liked Mikel too, but this that you said,
was absolutely the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Judolisco(m): 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
SenatePresdo:

When you say Rob, it sounds as if these players won it, and then supreme court averted it grin

Best player award is an election, team captains and coaches votes are count.

Majority didn't vote for Mike or Ribery, so how is it robbery?
no... Balon d'or is a popularity award..journalists also vote... It's recently dat everybody now vote... But ribery was robbed except u don't watch football
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Judolisco(m): 4:09pm On Feb 17, 2023
davidl7:

no... Yaya is a better footballer no doubt.... Yaya in my opinion is on d list of top 10 midfielders of all time, but dat year, mikel was better than him... Why did they gift jorginho best player instead of kante wasn't it because of d extra trophy jorginho won wit Italy... Jorginho is no where near kante in football

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by robosky02(m): 4:11pm On Feb 17, 2023
Chinonye2022:
u forgot hakimi

Apart from going to world cup lasts year

Who is Hakimi when the world is talking Osimhen?
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by robosky02(m): 4:15pm On Feb 17, 2023
davidl7:

What are you saying?

We know Yaya is good but
For that year in review Mikel was the man

See the argument... Mikel said

“I won the Nations cup (AFCON), I won the Europa League and a year before that, I won the Champions League. There is no way I wouldn’t have won it. I knew I had won it. It doesn’t matter how many goals he scored. I was in my prime, playing a lot of games.

And yaya was never there.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by robosky02(m): 4:16pm On Feb 17, 2023
Yungmil:
sha. Rap what has osihmen won? Mane won African cup of nations.

Last year ohhhh?
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by davidl7: 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2023
Judolisco:
no... Yaya is a better footballer no doubt.... Yaya in my opinion is on d list of top 10 midfielders of all time, but dat year, mikel was better than him... Why did they gift jorginho best player instead of kante wasn't it because of d extra trophy jorginho won wit Italy... Jorginho is no where near kante in football

You are right but things like that happen in football. Remember the controversy of Messi winning the Ballon D Or in 2010 when Schneider won d CL and Italian league n also played Wc final.
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Judolisco(m): 4:27pm On Feb 17, 2023
davidl7:

You are right but things like that happen in football. Remember the controversy of Messi winning the Ballon D Or in 2010 when Schneider won d CL and Italian league n also played Wc final.
yes also Ronaldo and ribery... All na robbery

1 Like

Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by Obakoolex(m): 4:56pm On Feb 17, 2023
Judolisco:
oga a lot of players where rated alongside Messi and Mikel won it all... Do u knw how long it took Messi to win a trophy for his nation? Anderson of Manchester even retired aged 29 and he also played dat tournament
So Messi used all there glory to shine above em all
Re: Mikel Obi Reveals He Got Robbed Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by greypencils: 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2023
robosky02:

This 2023

Mahrez dey. If he does well in UCL he will at least be shortlisted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5ft6 Kante Marks 6ft4 Van Dijk During Corner, Twitter Users React / Lampard Records The Worst Point-Per-Game of any Manager Under The Abramovich Era / "I Am Going To Miss Everyone At Arsenal" - Iwobi Alex, Arsenal Fans React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.