Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:35 PM

Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 (277 Views)

Opinion: Nigeria’s Young Voters Aren’t Done Yet By Rinu Oduala(CNN) / Nigeria Decides 2023: MC Oluomo Votes In Lagos (Video, Pictures) / Nigeria Decides 2023: Presidential Contest Is Between Atiku, Obi – Dogora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 by JogahBonito(m): 2:54pm On Feb 18, 2023

Nigeria Decides 2023

As Nigerians head to the polls in a week’s time, as a concerned citizen and democratic hopeful, I feel it’s imperative for me to comment on the current economic, social and political circumstances in the nation and express my opinion on its possible effect on the electoral outcome.

Nigeria is presently in a delicate and dangerous situation and regardless of the outcome of the election, I do not expect a miracle or near-miracle in her fortunes in the coming month(s) or even years. In the pre-independence and early post-independence years, there was an aura of hope and expectation that abounded in the nation. This was soon cut off by the myriads of misdeeds of the military and political ruling class. Sad to say, Nigeria has experienced a continuous decline in her economy, security situation and national prosperity - the oil boom in the 1970s, as well as the administration of Olusegun Obasanjo, being two major exceptions to this negative (economic) trend. And even though Nigeria experienced some economic prosperity under Chief Obasanjo’s administration, the wanton disregard for the rule of law, political killings, lack of democratic tenets, widespread corruption and sharp electoral practices that characterized it badly marred his time in government.

Yar’adua and Goodluck Jonathan’s governments were mediocre and largely just ‘maintenance’ governments. On his part, Yar’adua, though good-hearted, was unable to rule well due to his failing health and ultimate death. He is, however, well remembered for acknowledging that the electoral process that produced him as president was flawed and for granting amnesty to the Niger Delta militants who, in my opinion, were fighting a just cause with an unjust means. Goodluck Jonathan, on the other hand, lacked the willpower to make any lasting and impactful change in the political circle which included his friends and foes alike. Nevertheless, he is credited for his stance on non-violence and immediate acceptance of defeat in the 2015 presidential election.

Buhari. Oh, Buhari! Hmmmn! I have often described Buhari as the greatest scam in Nigeria’s history. The people who packaged Buhari for Nigeria are experts in the art of craftiness and deceit. He was packaged as a transformed democrat. Democrat my foot! Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard its spots? Buhari has proven over and over that he hasn’t changed from the brutal dictator who ‘ruled’ Nigeria in the 1980s. His disregard for the sanctity of life, rule of law, tenets of democracy, separation of power, principle of fairness and equity are legendary. His brazen disobedience to court orders, nepotism, indifference and willful ignorance are second to none. Besides, he is very myopic and lacks the intellectual, social and emotional capacity to govern even a local government, let alone a nation. He does not comprehend simple economic principles but insists on having things his way regardless of the effect on the larger populace. The blame is not Buhari’s alone to share, but rather that of the supporters and enablers of his government who voted for and supported him from 2015 till date. His advisers and aides, who are mostly out to look out for themselves will soon be out of the most backward administration in Nigeria’s history. The most surprising and confounding for me amongst them is Femi Adesina who is supposedly a pastor. His commentary and comportment in the defense of this administration are devoid of logic, reasoning and intelligence.

I must also admit that I, like many other Nigerians, supported Buhari in 2015 (and even voted for him in 2011), having experienced Jonathan’s indecisiveness and lack of leadership but soon realized that Buhari was slow, clueless and inept. I publicly expressed my criticism of Buhari’s government and style and voiced my opposition to his re-election during the 2019 election cycle.

Having seen the harm that a bad presidential candidate and potential president can do, Nigerians should be more circumspect and thoughtful in their choice of a leader in the forthcoming election. Democracy offers everyone the freedom to choose without fear or favour. However, this freedom, like every other freedom, comes with moral responsibilities and attendant consequences. Although all four frontline contestants (Kwankwaso, Tinubu, Obi & Atiku) are qualified to be president, not all of them have the prerequisite character traits and ability to lead a diverse and divided nation teeming with young and vibrant people who are discontent with the bleak prospects the country currently boasts of. Moreover, Tinubu and Atiku have baggage from their past and present that will clog the wheel of Nigeria’s progress. In addition, they cannot truly transform a nation in need of intensive care caused by accumulated years of maladies of maladministration due to the obvious conflict of interests they will be contending with.

Many Nigerians vote for sentimental reasons, the most common being tribal and religious sentiments. Unfortunately, that has been the bane of our political emancipation as a people. We have been programmed and positioned by politicians to see ourselves as one when it benefits them and as separate when they’ll be advantaged by it. The earlier we realized that we either work together as a people for our greater good than resort to sentimental and myopic considerations in the election of our leaders, or we continuously suffer the effects of bad governance collectively, the better for us all. Indeed, not all sentimental considerations are bad, hence, for a balanced decision-making process, every sentiment should be weighed in the balance of fairness, equity, justice, integrity and verity.

As Buhari’s administration winds down, he intends to leave Nigerians with one fond memory of bequeathing us a free and fair election by “minimization the influence of money in politics”. While good-intentioned, the plan is not well thought-out and worse still, badly implemented. The scarcity of Naira notes and fuel has worsened the suffering of ordinary Nigerians more than that of politicians and has heated up the polity resulting in pockets of protests in some major cities across the country. Notwithstanding, the publicly visible ruckus within the ruling party is something worth celebrating. These cracks have shown that the President is not willing to play ball with some governors and politicians whom he perceives as ‘corrupt’ and is reminiscent of past situations when God causes confusion in the camp of the enemies for the advantage and ultimate victory of his people. Nigerians should just hang in there despite the hardship and refuse the temptation to resort to protests or even violence.

On this note, and having considered the history, qualities, character and present state of all frontline candidates, coupled with the fact that: i. No one from the eastern part of Nigeria has been president; ii. The outgoing president is of northern extraction; iii. One candidate has a record, that, though not perfect, towers higher than the others. He is someone who seems sincere, courteous, calm and able to steady Nigeria’s sinking ship, reverse some of the rot and effect desirable lasting changes over the course of at least one tenure. He is none but Mr. Peter Obi and I urge you, as you prepare to vote next Saturday to rethink your decision and re-evaluate your choice and reason for settling for whoever you have chosen before voting. God and your conscience will be the judges!

Nlfpmod

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 by SeeItSayIt: 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2023
Go Obi carry go

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 by Nice2023(m): 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2023
That is where we are right now.
Re: Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 by Nice2023(m): 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2023
That is where we are right now.

Obi or nobody.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion - Nigeria Decides 2023 by Obidient1: 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2023
I join the reasonable Nigerians to Support endorse and to Vote PETER OBI as PRESIDENT federal republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Supreme Court Directive: SERAP Sues Buhari Over Ban On Old N500, N1,000 Notes / Why Do Police Men Not Vote / Tinubu Dey Use Juju, I Voted Tinubu In An Online Poll When I Wanted To Vote Obi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.