Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,781 members, 7,886,081 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 09:32 PM

Php 4 Ends For Life 31/12/2007 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Php 4 Ends For Life 31/12/2007 (965 Views)

Free .NG Extensions Registration & Renewals For Life! / Drive Unlimited Traffic To Your Website/blog For Life / How To Register A Domain Name Free And Host It Free For Life With Email Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Php 4 Ends For Life 31/12/2007 by smartsoft(m): 2:38pm On Aug 30, 2007
i was just notify by our Server Adminstrator to upgrade to PHP5, though of our server is on PHP5 . that PHP 4 ends for life,

PHP 4 end of life announcement
[13-Jul-2007]
Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

Check www.php.net
Re: Php 4 Ends For Life 31/12/2007 by greatfiso(m): 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2007
Hi         
i must comment your effort to help others as i've seen alot of your posting on this forum.

please i would love to know the implication of php 4 ending this year, as i learnt php using a book that treated it based on php4.0
will this affect my database application? and what version is currently the most stable?

thank u.
Re: Php 4 Ends For Life 31/12/2007 by my2cents(m): 5:32pm On Sep 05, 2007
I would imagine (and I could be wrong) that just like MS Word 2003 is backwards-compatible with MS Word 2000, PHP5 will treat PHP4 the same way.

Even in Java, when there is an upgrade, worse-case, you get a "deprecated" warning. It doesn't mean you can't use a particular Java class, it just means you should be aware that what you are trying to use is "old school" so to speak and that you should consider using more recent methods, etc.

From what I am made to understand (PHP guys chime in please. I am a JSP guy and only know enough PHP myself to get through the door grin), PHP5 is basically more Object-oriented than its predecessors. In other words, it makes use of more constructs and functions, for instance, compared to its predecessors which could be made, if you wanted, to be more procedural.

Again, I am no PHP expert, so if I am wrong, someone please let me and others know. Nonetheless, I hope my comments help.
Re: Php 4 Ends For Life 31/12/2007 by smartsoft(m): 6:39pm On Sep 05, 2007
well you can still use PHP uptill this very end of the year it all depends on your Hosting company if they do have both installed on your server PHP4 and PHP5 some company install only PHP5 why some people Still have PHP4  and while other company have both.

Like your Database woun't change any bit. for instance if ou have a local server like Xampps you can test run your code on PHP4. PHP5  xampps runs on PHP5 and what you need to do is a command "switch" you type it on you run Start Menu. and it swicth to PHP4 then you can run your script,

Men if you still need a host that runs on PHP4 just contact me uchedealsreal@gmail.com  PHP Developer said they will stop fixing Bugssss so might not be good for some company if they run PHP4 because if any problems comes, they woun't get any solutions.

thats why u have them installing both on their servers.

Like for PHP4  you sya you want to start a session huh ? you say

<?php
session_start();
?>

Right ?

Why PHP5
you say

<?php
ob_start();
?>

you see the diff. so u see the little change huh, ?

Now PHP Group said PHP4 will stop working on PHP5, what they want to do is let everyone upgrade their script to 5 why 6 is on its's way.
Ca you imagine.

(1) (Reply)

404 ERROR / DreamweaverCS4 Database Connection Wahala! / Money Making Website For Sale, Make Your Bid Known

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.