Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,178 members, 7,897,000 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 06:42 AM

Diary Of A Sheep Farmer - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Diary Of A Sheep Farmer (12360 Views)

World’s Most Expensive Sheep Auctions At £367,500 / Practical Goat/Sheep Farming In Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by mimivic(m): 1:31pm On Jun 22, 2023
Hello 👋

DO YOU KNOW

Do you know that you will get sales forever?
Do you know that massive traffic will Hit your business forever?

HOW

BY GETTING YOUR BUSINESS REGISTERED ®️ NOW ON GOOGLE BUSINESS ACCOUNT

ONE TIME PAYMENT!!!
Just one time payment of #10k ngn

For booking and enquiry
Our email and WhatsApp number is on the banner below this post 👇👇👇

Thanks in advance..

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 10:14pm On Jun 22, 2023
Alamkir:

Very funny sheep..... Sorry...... This is d First time am hearing this. If na me she must care oo by force or by fire. Or atleast collect milk from her an feed dat one

D tin pain me but the stress of collecting milk no be for here.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 3:35am On Jul 05, 2023
Imagine you fattening an animal for a year and when it’s time to sell during festive period, you discovered there was too much animals in the market aka glut. Is it the cost of feeding with Pkc, corn bran,broken maize and soya beans with salt lick that you want to calculate or what ? Or is it the day to day stress you go through to take care of this animals that you will take into consideration?. Let me tell you the fact!! the only way you can really maximize your profit in animal husbandry is by using semi-intensive system and this can be achieved by planting your own pasture.
I will talk extensive about pasture establishment in my next post. So stay tuned !

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 3:36am On Jul 05, 2023
My number one choice of grass to plant is Napier grass. The grass is highly palatable and yield per acre is huge. It is also very easy to manage.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 3:40am On Jul 05, 2023
Cattle, sheep, goat intact all ruminants feed on Napier grass. Feeding takes 80% of the key activities on the farm, so why start your ranch without getting the most important thing done

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 8:50pm On Jul 06, 2023
Last week I had an issue on the farm when one of my pregnant sheeps gave birth and after 12 hours the placenta has still not be discharged. I never experienced this before and immediately I started calling those I know both vet and doctors( since humans are higher animals). I was directed to get oxytocin injection .

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 8:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
I got five of the injections which contains 1ml per inj and was also directed to mix with sterile water before administering through the muscle tissue.
The mixture is 1ml of oxytocin to 9ml of sterile water. I was to administer every 12 hours . She delivered the placenta after 48hours.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:00pm On Jul 06, 2023
NOTE: Do not use overdose of oxytocin because what it does is to cause dilation of the vaginal wall and this aids in pushing the placenta out. Overdose leads to uterus prolapse I.e the womb will come out of her vagina!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Adaba0803(m): 1:16am On Jul 07, 2023
Good work pls, I live in Lagos I'm planing to set up something like this but I want to do Just ram and my target is next sallah I live in lagos, I'll like to visit your farm in Iwo if you won't mind I don't mind spending few days in the farm for mentorship and encourage.

@jub101
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Alamkir: 5:10am On Jul 07, 2023
Jub101:
Imagine you fattening an animal for a year and when it’s time to sell during festive period, you discovered there was too much animals in the market aka glut. Is it the cost of feeding with Pkc, corn bran,broken maize and soya beans with salt lick that you want to calculate or what ? Or is it the day to day stress you go through to take care of this animals that you will take into consideration?.

This is exactly what happened to me this sallah period. After all the stress the expense. Free range is my best option now
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Alamkir: 5:16am On Jul 07, 2023
Jub101:
I got five of the injections which contains 1ml per inj and was also directed to mix with sterile water before administering through the muscle tissue.
The mixture is 1ml of oxytocin to 9ml of sterile water. I was to administer every 12 hours . She delivered the placenta after 48hours.

I was told that, the injection that make them produce milk, if they don't have breast after giving birth can also help remove the placenta

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 8:05am On Jul 07, 2023
Adaba0803:
Good work pls, I live in Lagos I'm planing to set up something like this but I want to do Just ram and my target is next sallah I live in lagos, I'll like to visit your farm in Iwo if you won't mind I don't mind spending few days in the farm for mentorship and encourage.

@jub101
Chat me up let’s discuss. I am willing to help
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Adaba0803(m): 8:22am On Jul 07, 2023
Jub101:

Chat me up let’s discuss. I am willing to help

Just sent you a text on Whatsap
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:56am On Jul 10, 2023
My ram for cross breeding of my ewes

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 9:57am On Jul 10, 2023
Drug cabinet. Very essential because you never know what’s coming. Good management is key and in case of any situation your drugs are backup.

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Alamkir: 1:22pm On Jul 11, 2023
Jub101:
Drug cabinet. Very essential because you never know what’s coming. Good management is key and in case of any situation your drugs are backup.

Hope they dnt contact desease..... Place is dirty

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 7:24pm On Jul 11, 2023
Alamkir:
Hope they dnt contact desease..... Place is dirty

I am situated in a swampy area with loose loamy soil. That’s why is looks like that. Small rain and everywhere is damp.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Alamkir: 8:41am On Jul 12, 2023
Jub101:

I am situated in a swampy area with loose loamy soil. That’s why is looks like that. Small rain and everywhere is damp.

Oh I get now
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
Join me to welcome two new lambs on my farm. A female WAD and a male UDA BREED !!!

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by jidestroud(m): 8:05pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jub101:
Join me to welcome to new lambs on my farm. A female WAD and a male UDA BREED !!!

Congrats.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Maryam1234(f): 10:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jub101:
Join me to welcome to new lambs on my farm. A female WAD and a male UDA BREED !!!

Congratulations on your latest addition.
May they bring nothing but JOY to the family grin

Please invite us for naming ceremony na wink

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 4:51am On Jul 18, 2023
Through my journey for half a decade in sheep farming I have discovered it is always better to add female animals from your flock back into the herd as they grow more efficiently than those you buy from the North.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 4:54am On Jul 18, 2023
My case study is on my female UDA that was given birth to on my farm last year July and the ones I bought recently at AKINYELE MARKET IBADAN. She is way bigger than all of them and also younger and she’s even a twin o!. The animals brought in from the North go through lots of stress which affects their health, well being and it takes good nutrition and management to get them back to shape.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 5:13am On Jul 18, 2023
In the next five years my goal is to supply other livestock farms around me pure bred UDA Breed straight from the farm no stress no hassle . As for the time being i will keep multiplying my herd. Presently I have 23 female UDA on the farm and the rest are WAD. Patience is the name of this game as we wait for the next kids to drop grin

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by azikiweironsi(m): 10:05pm On Jul 18, 2023
Jub101:
In the next five years my goal is to supply other livestock farms around me pure bred UDA Breed straight from the farm no stress no hassle . As for the time being i will keep multiplying my herd. Presently I have 23 female UDA on the farm and the rest are WAD. Patience is the name of this game as we wait for the next kids to drop grin

How much did you buy your females UDA sheep.
Secondly, when you say WAD, did you mean our local goats ?
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by mexxy1(m): 10:37pm On Jul 18, 2023
azikiweironsi:

How much did you buy your females UDA sheep.
Secondly, when you say WAD, did you mean our local goats ?

I've been wondering myself as well because it's only goats I know as WAD and I haven't seen him post any goats or I probably missed them.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Maryam1234(f): 9:27am On Jul 19, 2023
Jub101:

InshaAllah grin

I'm glad you know the Rules of Livestock farming (PATIENCE)

Like my Daddy always ask me anytime a customer needs livestock for breeding.

Him: Maryam him go get PATIENCE?

Same question I revert back to the prospect cheesy

They will be like supply already pregnant animals for me Biko,I no get patient grin

In the Long run they still need patience inorder to thrive.

Thanks Op kiss

Adura Wa'gba.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Maryam1234(f): 9:30am On Jul 19, 2023
mexxy1:

I've been wondering myself as well because it's only goats I know as WAD and I haven't seen him post any goats or I probably missed them.

Maybe the WAD dwarf op mean is Yan-kasa(Local breed)

Local breeds don't have long ears unlike the Ballami breed.

Though WAD na for Goat as in Local specie's
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Jub101(m): 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2023
I refer to the local sheep specie as WAD. Very stubborn and intelligent animals. Always thinking of how to run away to new pastures every time . My herd boy is always complaining of them after every grazing day.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by azikiweironsi(m): 2:08pm On Jul 19, 2023
Jub101:
I refer to the local sheep specie as WAD. Very stubborn and intelligent animals. Always thinking of how to run away to new pastures every time . My herd boy is always complaining of them after every grazing day.

Okay well understood now.
How much did you buy your female Uda ?
Nice thread.
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Alamkir: 10:57pm On Jul 19, 2023
Jub101:
Through my journey for half a decade in sheep farming I have discovered it is always better to add female animals from your flock back into the herd as they grow more efficiently than those you buy from the North.

This is the plain truth
Re: Diary Of A Sheep Farmer by Alamkir: 10:58pm On Jul 19, 2023
Jub101:
My case study is on my female UDA that was given birth to on my farm last year July and the ones I bought recently at AKINYELE MARKET IBADAN. She is way bigger than all of them and also younger and she’s even a twin o!. The animals brought in from the North go through lots of stress which affects their health, well being and it takes good nutrition and management to get them back to shape.

I hav had d experience as well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Poultry Farming In Nigeria / Where To Get Coconut In Large Quantities / 32 Different Organic Herbs Used To Prevent Poultry Diseases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.