Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,858 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:20 AM

How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? (25358 Views)

Is This Being Clingy? If Not, Tell Me What It Is. / Is It Polite To Ask For The Price Of A Gift Given To You? / How To Get Rid Of Soldier Ants Effectively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2023
SavageResponse:

Maybe she's a lesbian and she's trying to come on to you?
She isn't a lesbian..
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 06, 2023
bluefilm:

Obviously, you have never experienced clingy person/s or people in your life.

At some point, you might even feel like running away from them forever.

To tell you how terrible the situation can be at times!
Thank you!
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 06, 2023
Lamanii22:

As in eh… i wish I had a clingy friend… I have never had a close friend
HI, I'm clingy mostly online. I don't like it because of the vibe I get from those I call my friends. It's nice to know that you want a clingy friend. I could be one if you are OK with it.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Spain007(m): 4:03pm On Mar 06, 2023
Berrityga:
Any girl that is clingy to me, nah her Toto go suffer am.

So long na toto...na you go tire.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 06, 2023
Spain007:

So long na toto...na you go tire.
l
L
What does this mean?
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by harmony75: 4:17pm On Mar 06, 2023
Get busy avoid her/them 🏃 🏃 🏃
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Ahvenjah: 5:29pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
We've been friends since 2021. She acts clingy, I don't like it, but I've been enduring it so I won't hurt her feelings. I've told her more than twice, but she doesn't stop.

share her number. I like clingy
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Filmdirect: 6:34pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nia69:
We've been friends since 2021. She acts clingy, I don't like it, but I've been enduring it so I won't hurt her feelings. I've told her more than twice, but she doesn't stop.

Don’t mind people saying you are a lesbian, their minds are in the gutter.
Yes, a friend can be clingy and as an introvert it can be heavy for you.
There is no easy way to do this, you will end up hurting her.

You will have to gradually do less with her. At school hang with other friends. When she wants to do something tell her you have a commitment with another friend and can’t.

Don’t answer her messages immediately she text. Give short answers and at long durations. Don’t be emotionally and tell her how great a friend she is or how much you want the friendship.

She will be hurt and yes, sadly, it might end. The imbalance is within her. She’s allowing herself to be codependent because she has no other friends. She also is not being fair to you to emotionally make you feel you need to be nice to her as you are the only one that “gets her.”

Bottom line is you are going to hurt her. The only thing that will make her happy is feeding and appreciating her clinginess and that’s not fair to you.

This is also good for you as you will recognize the clingy cues next time a friend starts on that. Immediately you notice it put that distance. None of this means being rude but let them know there are other matters in your life that doesn’t include them.

Clinginess can be toxic.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 06, 2023
Filmdirect:

Don’t mind people saying you are a lesbian, their minds are in the gutter.
Yes, a friend can be clingy and as an introvert it can be heavy for you.
There is no easy way to do this, you will end up hurting her.

You will have to gradually do less with her. At school hang with other friends. When she wants to do something tell her you have a commitment with another friend and can’t.

Don’t answer her messages immediately she text. Give short answers and at long durations. Don’t be emotionally and tell her how great a friend she is or how much you want the friendship.

She will be hurt and yes, sadly, it might end. The imbalance is within her. She’s allowing herself to be codependent because she has no other friends. She also is not being fair to you to emotionally make you feel you need to be nice to her as you are the only one that “gets her.”

Bottom line is you are going to hurt her. The only thing that will make her happy is feeding and appreciating her clinginess and that’s not fair to you.

This is also good for you as you will recognize the clingy cues next time a friend starts on that. Immediately you notice it put that distance. None of this means being rude but let them know there are other matters in your life that doesn’t include them.

Clinginess can be toxic.

Thank you for this.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Strawberries97: 9:10pm On Mar 06, 2023
MrAndre07:

Maybe she saw what she wants to become in future in you.
Or you are one of the encouragement for her to attain her ambition.
Or maybe you have similarity in life outlook, and she hardly saw that in others. You just made one of your 'genders' to go astray now. Better call her back o
Or probably you had no boyfriend and thought you needed company, lol.
But Opposite sex clinginess is love sha!

I am in prayers with her..
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Shalashaska: 10:02pm On Mar 06, 2023
blessedlajah:
Try Dey eat lots of beans and egg your fart go bad na she go dey avoid you 😏

Lmao
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by obidaddy: 10:40pm On Mar 06, 2023
Nigerians are really mentally lazy people, most of them just skim through the topic and start fishing out their myopic, perverted advicses.

Back to topic: Had similar experience in sch, this guy occupies my physical, mental & psychological space. Being an introvert, it drained me and began to affect my study, concentration, peace, orderliness & routine. Diplomacy failed. (an average Nigerian takes introvert or gentility as weakness, foolishness & invitation to exploit)

So i began avoiding him, changed my keys, look for ridiculous excuses to avoid going home, church, classes, reading joints, social places, togeather.

Stocked my room with all the things i need, so when he is outside banging & waiting for me, i stay indoors for hours (which i enjoy) i only open for my gf.

Ignored his calls & messages. Ignored strange numbers & messages.

Told friends & collegues he reported me to, that i needed my space and air.

Went to his place & retrived all my things (first move, after carefully planning the mission to emancipate myself)

Even his family members called.

Result : my grades improved alot, better friends he was blocking came my way, had peace, had a lot of time to think & imagine. Enjoyed the company of myself.

While my grades soar, his sank. He blamed me for distancing myself from him so he followed "band gang" (lol)

Yes, you may call my method brutal. But it worked for me and since then, including girls, and visitors from outside my city, once knack finish, or the exams or interview you came for is done, i discuss with you when you intend leaving, and give you a firm date to leave nicely. They say i am strict & principled, but it works for me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Mar 06, 2023
obidaddy:
Nigerians are really mentally lazy people, most of them just skim through the topic and start fishing out their myopic, perverted advicses.

Back to topic: Had similar experience in sch, this guy occupies my physical, mental & psychological space. Being an introvert, it drained me and began to affect my study, concentration, peace, orderliness & routine. Diplomacy failed. (an average Nigerian takes introvert or gentility as weakness, foolishness & invitation to exploit)

So i began avoiding him, changed my keys, look for ridiculous excuses to avoid going home, church, classes, reading joints, social places, togeather.

Stocked my room with all the things i need, so when he is outside banging & waiting for me, i stay indoors for hours (which i enjoy) i only open for my gf.

Ignored his calls & messages. Ignored strange numbers & messages.

Told friends & collegues he reported me to, that i needed my space and air.

Went to his place & retrived all my things (first move, after carefully planning the mission to emancipate myself)

Even his family members called.

Result : my grades improved alot, better friends he was blocking came my way, had peace, had a lot of time to think & imagine. Enjoyed the company of myself.

While my grades soar, his sank. He blamed me for distancing myself from him so he followed "band gang" (lol)

Yes, you may call my method brutal. But it worked for me and since then, including girls, and visitors from outside my city, once knack finish, or the exams or interview you came for is done, i discuss with you when you intend leaving, and give you a firm date to leave nicely. They say i am strict & principled, but it works for me.
Interesting. I'll try this method.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Vickho: 7:39am On Mar 07, 2023
Nia69:
keep lying and deceiving yourself.
Your friend turn down your lesbian advances cos she's straight while you're a fucking lesbian.
Now you are feeling so rejected you decided to come on nairaland to spew rubbish
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 7:46am On Mar 07, 2023
Vickho:
keep lying and deceiving yourself.
Your friend turn down your lesbian advances cos she's straight while you're a fucking lesbian.
Now you are feeling so rejected you decided to come on nairaland to spew rubbish
Nia69, you want to listen to my advice? Don't engage this troll. Just starve him of the attention he's craving.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 07, 2023
4Humanity4All:

Nia69, you want to listen to my advice? Don't engage this troll. Just starve him of the attention he's craving.
😂 I just said this on your thread.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Unclesamo(m): 7:49am On Mar 07, 2023
Strawberries97:

This is true. Some people will never understand no matter how you try to put it out to them politely. They don’t even look at your facial expression to at least get the clue.
I had a clingy friend (and by clingy, I am particularly referring to people whose presence around you only deducts and adds little to nothing to your life and they just want to stick around). I had to abruptly stop talking to, I stopped picking up her calls, moved and I’ve made sure she doesn’t know where I stay. I never pick up her calls, only texting once in a while. And I always tell her that I am not in town, I am in the village. I am free now, we chat once in a while.

No polite way for some people, just take the steps and free yourself.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Unclesamo(m): 7:49am On Mar 07, 2023
Strawberries97:

This is true. Some people will never understand no matter how you try to put it out to them politely. They don’t even look at your facial expression to at least get the clue.
I had a clingy friend (and by clingy, I am particularly referring to people whose presence around you only deducts and adds little to nothing to your life and they just want to stick around). I had to abruptly stop talking to, I stopped picking up her calls, moved and I’ve made sure she doesn’t know where I stay. I never pick up her calls, only texting once in a while. And I always tell her that I am not in town, I am in the village. I am free now, we chat once in a while.

No polite way for some people, just take the steps and free yourself.

The truth is" You found her irritating & Clingy because she hasn't been adding value to the friendship. I bet it would be a different narrative with a friendly giver that works in top Oil&Gas firm.

same you would later come back in years to complain of having an ingrate friend if great fortune smiles on such friend & decides to ignore you, forgetting how you avoided her in her low.

No one wants a sacrificial friendship & that's very bad.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Unclesamo(m): 7:50am On Mar 07, 2023
Nia69:

You don't like it because??

The truth is" You found her irritating & Clingy because she hasn't been adding value to the friendship. I bet it would be a different narrative with a friendly giver that works in top Oil&Gas firm.

same you would later come back in years to complain of having an ingrate friend if great fortune smiles on such friend & decides to ignore you, forgetting how you avoided her in her low.

No one wants a sacrificial friendship & that's very bad.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 07, 2023
Nia69:
😂 I just said this on your thread.
Smiles. It's just too obvious he's an attention seeker.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 07, 2023
4Humanity4All:

Smiles. It's just too obvious he's an attention seeker.
Duhhhhh.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 8:01am On Mar 07, 2023
Unclesamo:

You don't like it because??
Uncle Samo, you can't relate. I'm an introvert and I like my space.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by MrAndre07: 4:12pm On Mar 07, 2023
Strawberries97:

I am in prayers with her..
Your friend is very too emotional.
She needs to have good friendship with her relatives or good friends.
Maybe she never saw any real friendship in others except you.
A boyfriend can serve to help curb such clinginess.
She is diverting the attention she is supposed to give her boyfriend to you. Thank God that you are sane and not queer. That would have been disastrous and hideous.
She also needs to invest more in herself and goals and get busy to fend more for herself.
That could help.
Ps: you might even be the indirect motivation for such clinginess from her.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by beejaay: 5:44pm On Mar 07, 2023
Nia69:
I understand it perfectly. You might like clingy people, I don't.
Nobody does seriously but it can be managed to make it even more beautiful.. Provided its not draining u financially
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 07, 2023
beejaay:

Nobody does seriously but it can be managed to make it even more beautiful.. Provided its not draining u financially
I agree, it can be managed.
Re: How Do I Get Rid Of A Clingy Friend In A Polite Way? by DrDunamis(m): 3:47pm On Mar 08, 2023
Nia69:
She doesn't give me space. You know who a clingy person is right?
Yes I know how clingy persons are, and I kind of like it about them to a certain degree. It's just that you're not being forthcoming about your actual closeness with your friend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"What A Man Can Do A Woman Can Do It Better" How True Is This? / How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs: Home Remedies / How To Get Mtn Customer Care Direct With This Short Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.