Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,513 members, 7,911,242 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 08:10 AM

I Was Shocked!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Was Shocked!!! (193 Views)

Nigerian Lady Shocked At The State Of A Student Accommodation In UK (pics/video) / UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked / School Teachers Shocked At What They Found Under Student's Cardigan (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Was Shocked!!! by Tomiwasamuel(m): 10:46pm On Mar 21, 2023
I thought the way of reasoning in the past that is attributed with ignorance and illiteracy has been eliminated from Nigeria but today I received the shock of my life.
There is a student in the JSS 3 class I was assigned to teach in my PPA. I have noticed she is lacking as regards her education but I didn't know the reason for her problems.
Exams started on Monday and I haven't seen her in school. I spoke to her seat makte and I was told she went to her home town. Hometown? when exams is going on, I was amazed.
Later in the day I was conversing with a fellow teacher and somehow I mentioned her name and the response I got from her friends when I asked of her. The teacher told me the student in question is being forced to come to school by her parents and her family at large. Apparently she is a mother and also comes from a tribe that accepts higher bride price on women that are educated.
In summary, the only reason this lady is still in school is for her parents to receive higher bride price than the ordinary when her partner finally comes for her hand in marriage.
The questios in my mind are:
How much increment will the bride price have?
If she was a male child, will her parents ever send her to school?
Does going to school really mean you are educated?
How can this still be a thing in 2023?

The irony of all this is that the said student cannot even write or spell her own name
Re: I Was Shocked!!! by superCleanworks(m): 4:41am On Mar 22, 2023
it is such a wicked shame that there are up to 2 MILLION of such kids in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

UTME CBT FREE Practice Test - Literature-In-English / How To Use Cool Math Games To Help Your Child Improve Their Skills / Data Analytics Course | Intellipaat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.