Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,369 members, 7,920,414 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 06:40 AM

The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us (801 Views)

How Africa Civilized Europe And What They Paid Back / Awolowo, Soyinka, Afenifere & The Yoruba Race Are Not Civilized - Emir Oluwo Iwo / Edo People Are Not Witches, Please Stop The Bigotry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by laiperi: 12:48pm On Mar 31, 2023
The Most Civilized Ethnic Group In The World

Scholars throughout the world that have studied the Yoruba Culture and Religion have been intrigued by the ancient history of YORUBA of West Africa. German explorer Leo Frobenius came across some sculpted bronze heads and terracotta figures in Ile-Ife, convinced he had discovered remains of the mythical lost city of Atlantis. Beyond the way Yoruba accommodate other religions and cultures without giving up their own, they have surprised other scholars, so much that doctoral students must be careful how they present dissertations for approval. You may see within the same family a Reverend father, a respectable Imam and a prominent Babalawo. This is a volatile mixture in most cultures.

https://www.modernghana.com/news/1221711/yoruba-united-nation-the-most-civilized-ethnic.html
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by googi: 5:09pm On Mar 31, 2023
I find this clarion call for Yoruba to rise up out of their abysmal failures and live up to their God given potential, sobering.

If they are the descendants of the past civilization and children of First In Africa, they must withdraw from the money race that has brought abject poverty to their country and rebuild themselves.

Very sobering.
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by swayersc: 3:29pm On Apr 03, 2023
This insightful phrase reminds us that the most important aspects of being a good person can be found within us. We all have the power to choose kindness, to think before we speak, and to embrace civility and real estate services Warner Robins sanity in our interactions with others. By taking a moment to reflect on our own actions and motivations, we can strive to become our best selves and positively contribute to the world around us.
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by googi: 7:27pm On Apr 23, 2023
Ethnic rivalry is tearing us apart, so much that we cannot even accept African achievement as genuine enough unless it is accepted by Europeans that destroyed the same civilization in the first place.

The self hate and inferiority complex is deep. The same way some of us think it is Afrocentric to expose Sudan Rule in Egypt.
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by laiperi: 2:42am On Jun 07, 2023
Which other ethnic group in the world can be classified as tolerant and accommodating, the real meaning of civilized.
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by RedboneSmith(m): 6:54am On Jun 07, 2023
laiperi:
Which other ethnic group in the world can be classified as tolerant and accommodating, the real meaning of civilized.

Literally all of the Western World. They have created the most tolerant and accommodating societies the world has ever seen. They take in refugees. They take in economic migrants in the millions. They grant them citizenship. They allow them run for the highest offices in the land. And they don't make noise about how the immigrants must show gratitude. They don't feel threatened and use violence to stop immigrants from voting because they are afraid of who and how the immigrants will vote. When an Adewale or a Rajesh or a Chinedu or an Amina wants to run for mayor, they don't tell them to go and be mayor in Biafra or Bombay or Odùduwà Republic.

Racism/tribalism and intolerance is of course not completely dead in the West, but more than any other society in the world, they have gone farthest in ameliorating it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by Sizwezi: 8:47am On Jun 07, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Literally all of the Western World. They have created the most tolerant and accommodating societies the world has ever seen. They take in refugees. They take in economic migrants in the millions. They grant them citizenship. They allow them run for the highest offices in the land. And they don't make noise about how the immigrants must show gratitude. They don't feel threatened and use violent to stop immigrants from voting because they are afraid of who and how the immigrants will vote. When an Adewale or a Rajesh or a Chinedu or an Amina wants to run for mayor, they don't tell them to go and be mayor in Biafra or Bombay or Odùduwà Republic.

Racism is of course not completely dead in the West, but more than any other society in the world, they have gone farthest in ameliorating it.

Ya wicked sha. 😂😂
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by laiperi: 2:24pm On Jun 07, 2023
Obviously you do not know what you are writing about.

You sound like one of those slaves shipped out of Africa that were told they should be grateful for their journey to the "free world" where they enjoy. Otherwise the African Natives could have had them as breakfast.

Go and live there for considerable time and come back to repeat the indoctrination coming out of you.

Thank Trump for exposing them today as if some of us do not know them all along. You are so naive, I have to restraint myself from calling you names.

RedboneSmith:

Literally all of the Western World. They have created the most tolerant and accommodating societies the world has ever seen. They take in refugees. They take in economic migrants in the millions. They grant them citizenship. They allow them run for the highest offices in the land. And they don't make noise about how the immigrants must show gratitude. They don't feel threatened and use violence to stop immigrants from voting because they are afraid of who and how the immigrants will vote. When an Adewale or a Rajesh or a Chinedu or an Amina wants to run for mayor, they don't tell them to go and be mayor in Biafra or Bombay or Odùduwà Republic.

Racism/tribalism and intolerance is of course not completely dead in the West, but more than any other society in the world, they have gone farthest in ameliorating it.
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by RedboneSmith(m): 3:19pm On Jun 07, 2023
laiperi:
Obviously you do not know what you are writing about.

You sound like one of those slaves shipped out of Africa that were told they should be grateful for their journey to the "free world" where they enjoy. Otherwise the African Natives could have had them as breakfast.

Go and live there for considerable time and come back to repeat the indoctrination coming out of you.

Thank Trump for exposing them today as if some of us do not know them all along. You are so naive, I have to restraint myself from calling you names.

I've lived in the West since 2013. That's ten years this year. So don't tell me to go and live there. I have been living there.

I wasn't painting a picture of the West as a perfect society. I'm perfectly aware of racist and right-wing ideologists here. I'm aware of anti-immigration sentiments and all of that. But even with that taken into account I still reiterate that the western world is by far more tolerant and liberal than anywhere else on the planet.

I have been more stereotyped by fellow Nigerians than I have been in the West. In how many Nigerian states can another Nigerian whose parents came from another ethnic group in Nigeria stand for election and be voted for, not to talk of non-Nigerians? Every where I turn in this country, I see Nigerians, Ghanaians, Indians, Pakistanis etc. in elected positions and in positions of power. Elected in white-majority areas. Holding full citizenship, and not being told to be respectful. There are even laws here that you cannot refuse to rent property to people based on their race and ethnicity. Some landlords in your country are openly refusing to rent there houses or sell land to Igbo people, and you think your people can compete with the level of accommodation and acceptance in the Western World? LOL!

I have my problems with the West, but when it comes to inclusion, they are ahead of everyone else. Not perfect, but definitely ahead!

Look at the embarrassment that happened in Nigeria in the last election cycle where people were brutalised on the streets for looking like they come from a certain part of the country? I don't see anyone attacking immigrants here during election cycles. Even people who hold far-right ideologists are roundly condemned and treated like lunatics by the majority of white society. When Onanuga tweeted bigoted rubbish after the madness that happened in Lagos during the elections, how many of his own people called him out?

Hey, be proud of your ethnic group. Nothing wrong with that. Just go easy on the exaggeration. You are not the most accommodating or the most tolerant people in the world (The WORLD Oh! He no even talk Nigeria.)

1 Like

Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by laiperi: 6:14pm On Jun 07, 2023
Live in America since 2013? You are in a typical denial. I think you should campaign for Tim Scott for President of USA, labeled Uncle Tom.

But I can understand and respect you feelings coming from:

In how many Nigerian states can another Nigerian whose parents came from another ethnic group in Nigeria stand for election and be voted for, not to talk of non-Nigerians? Every where I turn in this country, I see Nigerians, 

The short answer to your question is the WEST but that must change since you got drunk with impunity. There is not enough time or space to tell you about Nigerians that were elected or appointed in Italy in charge of Immigration or the one in Alberta Canada as Attorney General to enforce the worst intolerance of Blacks in the most conservative Province in Canada. Las Las, used and dropped.

You must have heard about American born Barak Usein Obama and the backlash called Trump. He got bashed on all sides including from African Americans who claimed he did not have their experience.

Look at the embarrassment that happened in Nigeria in the last election cycle where people were brutalised on the streets for looking like they come from a certain part of the country?

You must be talking about the Igbo owners of Lagos. Try that in America or find out about late Harry Belafonte, an American born Icon and Civil Right leader when he tried to run as a Senator from New York. They told him about his Jamaican father.

Herbert Macauley handed NCNC to Azikiwe which he used to be elected to City Council in Lagos and a seat in the West. It was not enough o!

Bode George reserved seats for Igbo by which they got elected to Lagos House. Until they abused the accommodations and one of them sponsored English only in the House of a Yoruba State.

In case you are not aware, Peter Obi won the last Presidential election in Lagos. It was not enough. He committed political malpractice by going to Alaba to thank Igbo that make up "90% of Lagosians". He took Gbadebo Chinedu with him.

During the Election Lagos was the safest place to be. Indeed the only dead was a Yoruba thug killed by Igbo in broad daylight (I personally believe he was shot by Police).

Try that in USA where they tie Blacks to the back of the truck and drag them on rural untied roads. Or worse still, where they use black children as young as 11 years and those older for Police ritual killings.

Do you expect Yoruba Youths to be as foolish as their parents?

Western Nigeria remains the most civilized place to be from time memorial and today as long as you do not beat your chest as developers and owners of Lagos

Now, let me warn you. You have only been in the States since 2013 and I have given you examples of those Blacks in America before Columbus. Be careful, America no be Lagos o!
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by ewa26: 11:21pm On Jun 07, 2023
RedboneSmith:

erm, redbone which kain jollof rice will I cook for u nowv , is it the one that has lamb bone and ogiri in it, hor do I know add ketchup or mayonnaise or is it the one with goat meat and this small small distin, eh he em chicken gizzard with Uyo man foot ok
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by RedboneSmith(m): 9:05am On Jun 08, 2023
ewa26:

erm, redbone which kain jollof rice will I cook for u nowv , is it the one that has lamb bone and ogiri in it, hor do I know add ketchup or mayonnaise or is it the one with goat meat and this small small distin, eh he em chicken gizzard with Uyo man foot ok

Do you think you can take some of the money for that jollof rice and Uyo man foot and check yourself into a facility?
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by RedboneSmith(m): 11:57am On Jun 08, 2023
To the OP, where's the evidence that Harry Belafonte wanted to run for senate? I'm looking at a newspaper from 1986 where he explicitly said he wasn't going to run! The son of a Kenyan man was Senator from Chicago and then president. The daughter of a Jamaican is currently vice president.

Let me try and explain my position again a little more clearly because you don't seem to be very intelligent:

If someone says B is more poisonous than A, it is not the same thing as saying B is poisonous and A is not poisonous. It means A could be quite poisonous but A is MORE poisonous.

Now what I said and what I maintain is that the West today is more accommodating and more tolerant than every other society in the world including yours and mine. This statement of mine is not the same thing as saying that tolerance and acceptance of others in the West is 100%. (it's not even close to 100%). It simply means that compared to the rest of us they have gone much farther in trying to create a more inclusive society. Anybody who looks at the facts and denies this is not ready to face the truth.

Don't try to give me a lecture on prejudice and discrimination in the Western world. You don't know half of what I know on the subject. Belafonte had no interest in running for senate, by the way. Fake news. Yes, his dad was Jamaican. Do you want to talk about people with Jamaican daddies that rose to the highest levels in America. Shall we start with the current vice fricking president? Anyway, that's beside the point.

Oh by the way, why are your people in Lagos trying to pass legislations that will make it harder for non-Yorùbá Nigerians to own property in Lagos? Not even non-Nigerians oh. No. Other Nigerians who just happen to be non-Yorùbá.
https://gazettengr.com/lagos-belongs-to-yorubas-lawmakers-will-pass-new-property-business-ownership-laws-favouring-only-indigenes-speaker-obasa/

Show me one example from the West where citizens of a Western nation are denied access to property ownership in their own country because they come from another part of that same country. There are four indigenous ethnicities in the UK: the English in England, the Scots in Scotland , the Welsh in Wales and the Northern Irish in Northern Ireland. Yet, there's nothing like England for the English. People crisscross across the country, settling and acquiring property wherever they like. Your own people (including the people trying to pass this piece of silly legislature) even go there, and even as non-citizens still purchase property quite freely.

Tell me again how you are the most accommodating people in the world. In the entire cricking world.

Come oh, your hand no shake as you dey type that thing? The entire WORLD? 😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by laiperi: 2:55pm On Jun 08, 2023
I said earlier that I respect your misplaced feelings I did not realize you are so ignorant. But I will not go low into roforofo fight with you.

Lagos is your main obsession like those before you. Western Nigeria is the only place that produced your elite class from Pa Ojukwu, Azikiwe, Mbadiwe, Jaja and Aja Nwachukwu etc to your nouveau riche.

But unlike America where you kiss the ground, look up to God and say it can only happen in America, ingrates with impunity and igbotic statistics bit the hands that feed them in Yorubaland. If you could not be the Premier of Western Region, you rejected the Executive Prime Minister of Nigeria from a Yoruba man!

So for crying out loud, what positions have you not be offered or occupy in Nigeria? The same Azikiwe drove out a Calabar man to become the Premier in the East.

When Obasanjo, the one you called the most detribilized Nigerian after he brought Igbo out of the dog house since the end of civil war by appointing Igbo into powerful position.

OBJ even made a Biafran Vice and President of Nigeria. Jonathan formed Idi-Igbo cabinet and called his mentor motor park tout. As soon as Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan left Office, you all claimed he is not Igbo.

What else do you want from Nigeria? Coup, force, money, social media and hate cannot get you more. Only building bridges and extending hands of friendships can help ingrates.

As for America, inspite of your ten years, you learned very little. You know what, go back to school. Every American kid wants to be LeBron James or Michael Jordan. These kids have better luck playing lottery: face reality and stay in school. So you want to be Barak Obama or Patricia Harris. Goodluck!

Reality is that Blacks are still denied votes everyday by Gerrymandering, they are killed everyday and relegated to the lowest paying jobs everyday.

Do you know the difference between once in a blue moon token and everyday realities. Nigeria is bad, yes. But can you imagine a lone Police, two or even three executing an innocent man on the streets in broad daylight without being mobbed or the police station burnt down in Nigeria?

One white man or woman can shoot you down on a daily basis in America and if it is not captured on cell phones or a demonstration, he goes free!

You know, the Greeks and the Romans called Northern Europeans, Barbarians. It was a generous label. Many Europeans and Americans are ritual cannibals celebrating the blood and flesh of man as holy communion. Call the name of Mohammed in vain, the Arabs or Barbers qualify with them.

You see why Africans have the most civilized people among them?
Re: The Most Civilized And Sanest People Are Within Us by ewa26: 7:31pm On Jun 08, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Do you think you can take some of the money for that jollof rice and Uyo man foot and check yourself into a facility?
shocked
em that’s mean

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Men With Higher Education & Choice Of Women : ?! / Were Are The Akwa-ibom Peeps? / Nitel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.