Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,726 members, 7,875,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:12 PM

Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan (28363 Views)

Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan / Peter Obi Lands In Onitsha As Crowd Gathers (Pictures) / Unknown Gunmen Storm Onitsha As Residents Hail Them (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 2:52pm On Apr 01, 2023
I am very available to serve...for FREE lol if need be. Nigeria belongs to us all

TheFacelessMan:
Very impressive plan. Can be reworked but a Government will benefit from such an innovative mind

Might contact you later to discuss governance issues.

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by dazzlingd(m): 3:12pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Maybe because I have studied leadership over the years...a dictatorial govt is the fastest way to transform any society but you have to trade in your fundamental human rights and allow for abuse...China tried it, Rwanda did and so on...do we want brute force? People think governance is easy ...there are so many stakeholders and the agberos are the pawns on the Chessboard

I was discussing this with a friend recently.
People don’t understand governance.
The biggest mistake US made was to kill saddam Hussein and Gadaffi. There is what they call necessary evil, the moment they eliminated those guys, Iraq and Libya have never recovered and that’s what led to terrorism everywhere.
When people are looking for the downfall for mc oluomo, they don’t know he is a necessary evil. Do they think the government has the resources to contain the rampage of thugs in Lagos?
What they need is one monster to manage which is MC Oluomo rather than battling to manage thousands of monsters without control

Even in the Us, the government deliberately left some people within control and watch them closely. They allow them some freedom to do their gangs and drugs as long as they are within a boundary

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Lasunjane: 3:13pm On Apr 01, 2023
Na Lagos be their headache,awon Omo ale

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Ingocof(m): 3:39pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

https://punchng.com/ndi-agbero-hijack-onitsha-as-helpless-traders-motorists-groan/?amp

The Ipobians on nairaland will turn a blind eye now shouting about MC OLUOMO in Lagos forgetting that they have DJ OBI in Onitsha too.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by ruggedtimi(m): 3:48pm On Apr 01, 2023
madridguy:
grin grin grin

" A member of the National Youth Service Corps, Janet Ufodi, while narrating her ordeal in the hands of the hoodlums, said she was waiting for a commercial bus to carry her at Upper Iweka when she was accosted by two louts.

“They demanded I pay them for the luggage I carried, threatening to seize it.

“I was surprised that nobody came to my rescue as everybody was just watching as they were almost violently attacking me. At the end of the day, I parted with N2,000,” she added.
"

Sentiment aside, Anambra State is the worst state in Nigeria.

Their hatred for MC OLUOMO is simply because he is the richest and most popular agbero in Nigeria.
you can say most popular but I doubt richest.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by ruggedtimi(m): 3:50pm On Apr 01, 2023
I*bo dey do agbero enter rivers state....na Dem dey do egbero for pH too and dey wantd to bring this style of hijacking cars with luggage at the backseat. Before the obio akpor lga chairman followed dem up
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 3:56pm On Apr 01, 2023
If US tries to take on all the gangs, they will fail lol ...people have limited knowledge so they think everywhere else is perfect...it's called living in a bubble called Nigeria or certain specific region and only think from that angle

dazzlingd:

I was discussing this with a friend recently.
People don’t understand governance.
The biggest mistake US made was to kill saddam Hussein and Gadaffi. There is what they call necessary evil, the moment they eliminated those guys, Iraq and Libya have never recovered and that’s what led to terrorism everywhere.
When people are looking for the downfall for mc oluomo, they don’t know he is a necessary evil. Do they think the government has the resources to contain the rampage of thugs in Lagos?
What they need is one monster to manage which is MC Oluomo rather than battling to manage thousands of monsters without control

Even in the Us, the government deliberately left some people within control and watch them closely. They allow them some freedom to do their gangs and drugs as long as they are within a boundary

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by okeysoninv: 3:57pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Did we not give security contracts to those protesting against the Govt? is that not normalizing arms against the government? When you insult people, make sure you have common sense first...why ain't they killing at those with illegal refineries? You think they haven't normalized some of these already...some of them might be part of your tank drivers for crude oil now. Keep living in LA la land up

most of illegal refineries has been closed up and some of them in prison as we speak in Rivers State. Agbero is not a work and can never be justified in a normal society. What law is guiding agbeo? Who enact the law. We basically lives on rule of law, if not you're in a banana republic where everything goes. That what you're insunating.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 4:01pm On Apr 01, 2023
Most based on what data? what about monthly security payments to those that carried arms...did govt close illegal refineries before the security contract? or vice versa...answer that and explain if that is not accepting.

okeysoninv:
most of illegal refineries has been closed up and some of them in prison as we speak in Rivers State. Agbero is not a work and can never be justified in a normal society. What law is guiding agbeo? Who enact the law. We basically lives on rule of law, if not you're in a banana republic where everything goes. That what you're insunating.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Karnice600: 4:17pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

If you eliminate Agberos, what will you do with thousands of guys? Retrain then...some of them are drug addicts and drunkards...there is a reason they are doing agberos and I doubt they can do any formal education. What about artisan work? Have you seen some of these guys..you think they will learn plumbing or agriculture and wait for harvest and yields or for someone to call them for work before they can eat?

Lock them up in Jail...how many prisons will you build, how many staff, cost of feeding them and getting all of them through the court systems would be a major disaster.

So should we just accept this norm...NO

1. You normalize them like Lagos agreed to do...Lagos should print the tickets

2. Allow these guys to sell them - maybe 500 tickets @ N1000 = N50,000; Private vehicles can pay N100 per day...that is N2k - N3k per month and it will be used to pay for people to maintain roads, clean gutters, and so on.

3. Pay them daily - like N5000 (N100,000 weekdays) which is 10% of the total take in and their Ogas will take N2500 (5%) per person

4. Create a hierarchy of leadership - One oga will have like 10 guys under in covering major areas...so Oga will cash in N500,000 monthly

5. This process for this Team will generate N42,500 per person (85%) which is N8.5million monthly (Salary N1.5m from Revenue intake of N10m monthly) for one area...Lagos can easily have 500 of these areas raking in N5billion and N60 billion annually. Anambra, Onitsha can do the same and the money will be channels to fix roads, drainages and revamp the markets.

6. Give or take the Govt can play with the figures and bring in 70-75% and increase the payment for Oga or boys or Ticket sale

7. You can also sell Morning, Afternoon, and Evening and use different sets of boys so you generate 3 times the revenue, multiply the employment by 3 and use 2 sets of Ogas or Same...

8. They will have distinct wears that they pick up at the Oga in the morning, afternoon or evening and they can switch them so it will be difficult for copycats to make them or have companies that will supply them these wears with random colors weekly.

9. These will eliminate the fake agberos and also provide employment chain for the uniform or vest suppliers...they will also take care of the dry cleaning needs.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer.
One man will marry 4 wives and produce 24 children because he's traditionally or religiously inclined to do just like his forefathers or mentors did. He successfully put only 5 up to secondary education level and leave them all to grace afterwards. They move into the streets with poor orientation. Now multiply this scenario by 1 million, then you'll see a whole national nuisance that begins from the family level.
How about this?

2 Likes

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by seunodediranivy: 4:20pm On Apr 01, 2023
I don't think people know what they are saying " agbero in Onitsha?". Si o, Lagos is their headache, that is why the easterners can no longer stay in their states again and have begun to constitute nuisance in all other peaceful states, it's just the matter of time.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Blue3k(m): 4:20pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I was speaking to someone about this issue of Agberos, and I told the person...Governance is like whac-a-mole. If you solve one problem, another rises. That is why I was praying GRV does not win because he would have turned Lagos into chaos...even those in Lekki would not be able to stay clear of major issues.

If you eliminate Agberos, what will you do with thousands of guys? Retrain then...some of them are drug addicts and drunkards...there is a reason they are doing agberos and I doubt they can do any formal education. What about artisan work? Have you seen some of these guys..you think they will learn plumbing or agriculture and wait for harvest and yields or for someone to call them for work before they can eat?

Lock them up in Jail...how many prisons will you build, how many staff, cost of feeding them and getting all of them through the court systems would be a major disaster.

I don't care about your solutions. If your state wants to implement them that's fine. Your argument about jailing criminals leading to disaster is wrong. Jailing criminals serves as a deterrent to crime because it increases the risk for the same reward. Yes it does cost money to feed and House prisoners. It's worth it if safety and commerce are uninhibited by criminals.

Assuming you you 7.1k criminals in one prison you'll need 900 employees. I doubt you have that many Agberos in the state. Why you criminal enablers act like prison isn't a viable option is perplexing. These people can sober up in Jail and learn skills if they want to. Nigeria needs more judges, prisons and criminals locked away.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Nikes(m): 4:38pm On Apr 01, 2023
I remember the day I arrived Upper Iweka a little past 1am so we decided to sleep in the bus until morning. By 5am I had already brought down my luggage and sought the services of a 'wheel barrow' boy. Omo after wheel barrow boy Don carry my kaya go where bus dey wait en-route owerri some bastard miscreants just popped out of nowhere demanding that I pay a certain wheel barrow levy. Omo we drag am for there mo be small. Very useless place that Onitsha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by hush15: 5:13pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
and what is the definition of justice...some of us won't be born If our forefathers had received your so-called justice. I am talking about realistic solutions...you can present your own

Justice is morale principle determing just conduct. The good thing about justice is it is a hard start but overtime, it's self sustaining. Ofcourse some of us ought not to have been born, atleast not now, maybe the world would have been a better place.

However, here is my own realistic solution, those that want to turn a new leaf will be welcomed and government will give them all the required support to be productive and responsible members of the society. All they need to do is pick a particular interest. Those that decide to continue in their agbero lifestyle will be held by the law and take punitive measures Mass re-orientation state wide also will be done also to encourage positive social living and promote an agbero free state. Several programs will be taken to engage them and those that excel might even be award responsibility. Am sure, I am sure if we make success of a few, others would see reasons not to engage but even help protect the society. It's not giving them fish but helping to catch fish that can make them self reliant without being a public danger or nuisance.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 5:28pm On Apr 01, 2023
Who determines moral principle? universal moral principle...so let me break down your realistic solution that is not realistic..

what is turning a new leaf? You tell a man on drugs...just turn over a new leaf...even in the Bible, Jesus talked about those without sin to cast a stone first. Do you think you live on moral principle daily and who holds you responsible?

Who will enforce your moral principle? how will you guard against disorder if there is rebellion? what If there are widespread rebellions...this is not banning motorcycles...in some areas where people have options of moving to other areas ...some of these ageros are sons of the soil...they have more claims to their areas and neighborhoods than you and I.

You want to invest in programs...the same populace will tag its failure to you looting funds in the name of programs. If only Nigeria was ideal, we can talk of idealist plans but realistic...these your solutions are not in the current state of the states in the country

hush15:

Justice is morale principle determing just conduct. The good thing about justice is it is a hard start but overtime, it's self sustaining. Ofcourse some of us ought not to have been born, atleast not now, maybe the world would have been a better place.

However, here is my own realistic solution, those that want to turn a new leaf will be welcomed and government will give them all the required support to be productive and responsible members of the society. All they need to do is pick a particular interest. Those that decide to continue in their agbero lifestyle will be held by the law and take punitive measures Mass re-orientation state wide also will be done also to encourage positive social living and promote an agbero free state. Several programs will be taken to engage them and those that excel might even be award responsibility. Am sure, I am sure if we make success of a few, others would see reasons not to engage but even help protect the society. It's not giving them fish but helping to catch fish that can make them self reliant without being a public danger or nuisance.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Raf4: 5:37pm On Apr 01, 2023
madridguy:
grin grin grin

" A member of the National Youth Service Corps, Janet Ufodi, while narrating her ordeal in the hands of the hoodlums, said she was waiting for a commercial bus to carry her at Upper Iweka when she was accosted by two louts.

“I was surprised that nobody came to my rescue as everybody was just watching as they were almost violently attacking me. At the end of the day, I parted with N2,000,” she added.
"

Their hatred for MC OLUOMO is simply because he is the richest and most popular agbero in Nigeria.

They are so b!tter that MC Oluomo could have many children graduating with good grade, some first class, from US universities. No single successful agbero from their land.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by madridguy(m): 5:39pm On Apr 01, 2023
You nailed it better baba. MC go continue to pepper them till eternity.

Raf4:

They are so b!tter that MC Oluomo could have many children graduating with good grade, some first class, from US universities. No single successful agbero from their land.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Raf4: 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2023
madridguy:
grin grin grin

"

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by omoadeleye(m): 6:43pm On Apr 01, 2023
While the agberos in Lagos are busy generating income for Lagos state, the agberos in Anambra are busy worsening the economy of the state.

And the agberos in Lagos are the problems of South Easterns.

Make una dey play.

When Tinubu improvise and adapt the activities of touts anf transformed them to be useful to themselves and the society. One hoodlum called GRV was now chest beating of eradicating them from the street.

I swear, GRV is the hoodlum and a chronic tout.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by armadeo(m): 7:26pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
I

Well written and logically thought out.

My only grouse is you are trying to make legitimate and illegitimate issue. If this stands how many more will pop up and claim legitimacy.

All those that claim funds from home builders, land grabbers , oil bunkerers. Etc.

The government has to put a stop to this completely anyhow they deem fit. ( let soldiers be on the streets if these guys won't disappear).

P.s I see you said private cars should pay 100 naira daily and I wonder why I should pay 100 a day for using my car? After paying my taxes.. or do you mean private cars that do transportation on the side?

Oga e no join at all because car owners would revolt
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by armadeo(m): 7:32pm On Apr 01, 2023
Adakintroy:

Your a thinking person.

They are just that borderline between us dealing with real criminals. they a small evolution away from criminals themselves so its better we Integrate them. no one want to deal with the alternative

The short term benefits of that plan would be a disaster in the long term.

Better to rip the band aid of now bear the pain and have peace in future.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Adakintroy: 9:04pm On Apr 01, 2023
armadeo:

The short term benefits of that plan would be a disaster in the long term.

Better to rip the band aid of now bear the pain and have peace in future.

So we rip the band off. But its not just talk. They Robb you and dish ur body. The police are shorthand at the moment. We wish they are adequate but they are not. So yes we rib the bandage off thats the alternative am talking. But it a real situation.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by armadeo(m): 9:29pm On Apr 01, 2023
Adakintroy:

So we rip the band off. But its not just talk. They Robb you and dish ur body. The police are shorthand at the moment. We wish they are adequate but they are not. So yes we rib the bandage off thats the alternative am talking. But it a real situation.

As long as they are removed entirely whatever sacrifice is made should be counted necessary.

Colombia was once a tourist haven. The place to go. What is it known for now? That also started like a joke.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Fearyourcreator: 10:05pm On Apr 01, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Maybe because I have studied leadership over the years...a dictatorial govt is the fastest way to transform any society but you have to trade in your fundamental human rights and allow for abuse...China tried it, Rwanda did and so on...do we want brute force? People think governance is easy ...there are so many stakeholders and the agberos are the pawns on the Chessboard

Dictorial with good intention is the way for this country to me sha...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by jaymichael(m): 10:33pm On Apr 01, 2023
RockHard:
I'm glad a mainstream newspaper like Punch is reporting this coz those hypocrites from the SE have been painting a mischievous picture to the public that Agberos are a Lagos phenomenon, when in fact they're worse off in their region. Lagos Agberos don't even harass you coz their activities are limited to the parks, but you see those Onitsha, Aba, and SE agberos eh, they're hoodlums, thieves, and touts all rolled into one.
Add and terrorists.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Owontime: 10:52pm On Apr 01, 2023
IPOBLAND is a shithole, that's why they're all running away to Yorubaland. Send the refugees home,let them go back and develop their village like we all did.

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:52am On Apr 02, 2023
Karnice600:

One man will marry 4 wives and produce 24 children because he's traditionally or religiously inclined to do just like his forefathers or mentors did. He successfully put only 5 up to secondary education level and leave them all to grace afterwards. They move into the streets with poor orientation. Now multiply this scenario by 1 million, then you'll see a whole national nuisance that begins from the family level.
How about this?

Brilliant flawless analysis
This is the whole truth

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by EKONGKING: 1:14am On Apr 02, 2023
madridguy:
grin grin grin

"

MC OLUOMO knows the value of education and his children are settled through education ,and u have to to give to south western people ,they value their education .
This election has opened my eyes regarding the differences between South west and south east people .

1 Like

Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by chinchum(m): 1:31am On Apr 02, 2023
The only time i was harassed by Agberos in Lagos, they were ibos..

I was trying to board a bus for my NYSC trip at Oyingbo and these fools dragged my bag and refused to hand it over trying to force me to join their preferred bus. It happened twice.

The yoruba agberos, i ask them for destination direction and they are willing to help.
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by MasterTeeUSA: 6:59am On Apr 02, 2023
Soldiers do not belong on the streets in a democratic dispensation. Let us consider what is realistic under a democracy

armadeo:

Well written and logically thought out.

My only grouse is you are trying to make legitimate and illegitimate issue. If this stands how many more will pop up and claim legitimacy.

All those that claim funds from home builders, land grabbers , oil bunkerers. Etc.

The government has to put a stop to this completely anyhow they deem fit. ( let soldiers be on the streets if these guys won't disappear).

P.s I see you said private cars should pay 100 naira daily and I wonder why I should pay 100 a day for using my car? After paying my taxes.. or do you mean private cars that do transportation on the side?

Oga e no join at all because car owners would revolt
Re: Agberos Hijack Onitsha As Helpless Traders, Motorists Groan by Missionaire: 7:06am On Apr 02, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

So should we just accept this norm...NO

1. You normalize them like Lagos agreed to do...Lagos should print the tickets

2. Allow these guys to sell them - maybe 500 tickets @ N1000 = N50,000; Private vehicles can pay N100 per day...that is N2k - N3k per month and it will be used to pay for people to maintain roads, clean gutters, and so on.

3. Pay them daily - like N5000 (N100,000 weekdays) which is 10% of the total take in and their Ogas will take N2500 (5%) per person

4. Create a hierarchy of leadership - One oga will have like 10 guys under in covering major areas...so Oga will cash in N500,000 monthly

5. This process for this Team will generate N42,500 per person (85%) which is N8.5million monthly (Salary N1.5m from Revenue intake of N10m monthly) for one area...Lagos can easily have 500 of these areas raking in N5billion and N60 billion annually. Anambra, Onitsha can do the same and the money will be channels to fix roads, drainages and revamp the markets.

6. Give or take the Govt can play with the figures and bring in 70-75% and increase the payment for Oga or boys or Ticket sale

7. You can also sell Morning, Afternoon, and Evening and use different sets of boys so you generate 3 times the revenue, multiply the employment by 3 and use 2 sets of Ogas or Same...

8. They will have distinct wears that they pick up at the Oga in the morning, afternoon or evening and they can switch them so it will be difficult for copycats to make them or have companies that will supply them these wears with random colors weekly.

9. These will eliminate the fake agberos and also provide employment chain for the uniform or vest suppliers...they will also take care of the dry cleaning needs.

10. Youths need employment..money must flow...you need to cater to different types of people. Eliminating them is not the answer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

PDP Mega Rally In Dutse, Jigawa State In Pictures / Poor Electricity Supply: My Children Are Also Suffering The Effects- Fashola / Dapchi: Leah Sharibu Reunites With Her Mother In A Dream

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.