Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,833 members, 7,872,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:18 PM

Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On (10009 Views)

Do You Still Remember? Who Can Solve This Jss1 Maths Question? Ja / Solve This Simple Maths Question If You Can!:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / Let's Slove Mathematics! (any Maths Question, Any Topic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by RichyBlacK(m): 12:41am On Sep 28, 2007
Eyohimself:

A certain characteristic in a large population has a distribution that is symmetric about the mean m. If 68 percent of the distribution lies within one standard deviation d of the mean, what percent of the distribution is less than m + d ?
A. 16%B. 32%C. 48%D. 84%E. 92%

The explanation for this is much easier with a diagram.

Let G(z) = P(x is less than z).
Since the distribution is symmetric about the mean m, then G(m) = P(x < m) = 50%.

The statement "68 percent of the distribution lies within one standard deviation d of the mean" means that:
G(m+d) - G(m-d) = 68% = P(m-d<x<m+d)

So, we are looking for G(m+d) which is also equal to P(x < m+d)

But P(x < m+d) = P(x < m) + P(m < x < m+d)
= P(x < m) + 0.5*[P(m-d < x < m+d)] due to symmetric nature of distribution about the mean m
= G(m) + 0.5*(G(m+d) - G(m-d)) just substituting
= 50% + 0.5(68%)
= 50% + 34%
= 84% (Answer = D)

NOTE: there are several other ways of doing this.
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by LiquidMind(m): 1:07am On Sep 28, 2007
Nice maths tread smiley
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by ADint(m): 10:28am On Sep 29, 2007
Eyohimself:

He must sell it for :

0.11*170270 + 0.055*170270 + 170270 = $198 364.55 ( $198 365--to the nearest $)

( Assuming they are making the gains on the cost price).

Eyohimself,

The agent must sell for $199,395(nearest $). 
Only Ann's gain is made on the initial cost price.
To the Agent the current cost price is 170270 + (0.11*170270) = $188,999.70
So, selling price is 188,999.70 + (0.055*188,99.70) = $199,394.68 ($199,395)
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Eyohimself(m): 3:31pm On Sep 29, 2007
ADint:

Eyohimself,

The agent must sell for $199,395(nearest $).
Only Ann's gain is made on the initial cost price.
To the Agent the current cost price is 170270 + (0.11*170270) = $188,999.70
So, selling price is 188,999.70 + (0.055*188,99.70) = $199,394.68 ($199,395)

Thanks for noting that. I made my calculations based on the assumption that they both had

gains on the initial cost price which I think is quite possible. Your contribution is welcomed.

You based your solution on the assumption that the Agent made the gain on Ann's selling price which

from common logic, is more probable. Thanks for the insight.

I thought the other way round.
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by edusegzy(m): 6:04pm On Oct 01, 2007
hi every one,

i'm happy to see o much going on on this thread.boy i ' have a lot of catching up to do.
eyohimself how is your prep.i'm sure you are in top shape.
i'm brewing some stuff.
Richyblacky
you are such a blessing on this thread.
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by edusegzy(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2007
integrating sec x

sec x=

sec x (sec x +tan x)/(sec x +tan x)=sec2 x+sec x tan x/(sec x +tan x)

integerate:

ln(sec x +tan x)
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by jaybee3(m): 3:30pm On Nov 08, 2007
There are 2 rooms. One has 3 light switches and the second one has three light bulbs. U can only enter the one with the light bulbs once. How do u deteremine which of the three light switches corresponds to three of the light bulbs in the second room
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by RichyBlacK(m): 4:12am On Nov 10, 2007
jay bee:

There are 2 rooms. One has 3 light switches and the second one has three light bulbs. You can only enter the one with the light bulbs once. How do u deteremine which of the three light switches corresponds to three of the light bulbs in the second room

1. Go into room with switches

2. Do the following:
i. Put the first switch ON, and leave it ON
ii. Put the second switch ON, leave it ON for a while, and then switch it OFF
iii. Ignore the third switch

3. Go into room with bulbs:
i. The bulb that is ON is controlled by the first switch
ii. The one that is OFF, but WARM is controlled by the second switch
iii. The one that is OFF, but COLD is controlled by the third switch.

NB: Some rather obvious assumptions were made.
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Ficco(m): 12:35pm On Nov 16, 2007
This forum and questions are too hot for me ,am logging out. angry lipsrsealed
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by RichyBlacK(m): 10:26pm On Jan 03, 2008
Eyohimself,

Howz life? How did the GRE go?
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by opiororo1(m): 9:44pm On Jan 05, 2008
I love these guys.I which i also could be a mathematics guru as these guys up here.It's Cooooooooooooool! smiley smiley
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by candylips(m): 12:36pm On Nov 17, 2009
Maths geniuses can someone convert this Euler equation

x^2y'' (x) - 2xy' (x) + 2y (x) = 4x^3

to a constant coefficeint problem and show that the solution is given by

y (x) = Ax + Bx^2 + 2x^3.
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by candylips(m): 12:40pm On Nov 17, 2009
Can someone solve this 2nd order differencial equation

y'' = 2y^3 + 8y where y =2 , y' = - 8  when x=π/4
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by idamina: 2:30am On Jan 13, 2013
Hey..u guys r gr8
On d above question
A pair should be black n black or green and green ryt?
If there are 5 black and 5 green socks (not pairs)
It implies that we have 10 socks which does not form a complete pair.
But if we take away 2(a black and a green), we are left with 8.with that we can form a complete pair
If we take away 3..there is no way the remainder can form complete pair.
NOTE
If u take away any number of socks,it shouldnt be considered as part of the complete pair.
So on that note
I Feel the ans is 2 being the minimum..
Please if u hav anytin contrary please let me understand..tanx
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by idamina: 2:37am On Jan 13, 2013
On d above question
A pair should be black n black or green and green ryt?
If there are 5 black and 5 green socks (not pairs)
It implies that we have 10 socks which does not form a complete pair.
But if we take away 2(a black and a green), we are left with 8.with that we can form a complete pair
If we take away 3..there is no way the remainder can form complete pair.
NOTE
If u take away any number of socks,it shouldnt be considered as part of the complete pair.
So on that note
I Feel the ans is 2 being the minimum..
Please if u hav anytin contrary please let me understand..tan
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by sportyblinks: 7:23pm On Jan 13, 2013
Mke "t" the subject of d formula in dz Newton's 2nd law of motion : s=ut+1/2.at^2
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Zakdamilare: 6:43am On Jan 14, 2013
Pls help me 2 solve this questn..prove that cosec2(x) -cot(x)cosec(x)=1
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Zakdamilare: 7:00am On Jan 14, 2013
sportyblinks: Mke "t" the subject of d formula in dz Newton's 2nd law of motion : s=ut+1/2.at^2
d eqn wil be change when multiply through by 2,.then u wil hv at^2+2ut-2s=0 and compared it wit general equatn of quadratic ax^2+bx+c=0 4rm there ur a=a, b=2u, c= -2s.then solve it by use of formula d ans wil be t= -2u+- squareroot of 4u^2 +8as all divided by 2a.,
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 21, 2016
edusegzy:
6. Jefferson National Expansion Memorial /the Gateway Arch
Hello sir! !!!!!!!! cool
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by seuntosyn: 8:26am On Jan 07, 2017
kindly solve this, Rationalize

√3
/ cube rut 5 + cube rut7
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by trino: 12:17am On Jan 08, 2017
Try the Testdriller Mathsolver..Can solve any mathematics of any kind.

Kindly contact me to order for yours

Call/whatsapp:08034047666
Email:testdrillersoftwaresolutions@gmail.com

Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by trino: 9:05pm On Jan 08, 2017
still on
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 09, 2017
Y I no fit Sabi maths embarassed
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by thankyouJesus(m): 8:46am On Jan 09, 2017
candylips:
Maths geniuses can someone convert this Euler equation

x^2y'' (x) - 2xy' (x) + 2y (x) = 4x^3

to a constant coefficeint problem and show that the solution is given by

y (x) = Ax + Bx^2 + 2x^3.

let y = Ax^m
y' = mAx^[m-1]
y'' = m(m-1)Ax(m-2)

substitute all and solve

for the particular integral use Ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d

1 Like

Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by mathefaro(m): 9:06am On Jan 09, 2017
thankyouJesus:

let y = Ax^m
y' = mAx^[m-1]
y'' = m(m-1)Ax(m-2)

substitute all and solve

Hmm! Boss! You dey scare me o
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by logadims: 9:15am On Jan 09, 2017
thankyouJesus:

let y = Ax^m y' = mAx^[m-1] y'' = m(m-1)Ax(m-2)
substitute all and solve
how's school?
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by thankyouJesus(m): 9:46am On Jan 10, 2017
logadims:
how's school?
Great, thank you.
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by thankyouJesus(m): 9:47am On Jan 10, 2017
mathefaro:
Hmm! Boss! You dey scare me o
My boss

1 Like

Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by oxyoxyoxy: 7:15am On Apr 27, 2017
edusegzy:
hello everyone,
i have been going through various threads on nairaland and sincerely i am impressed by how young nigerian are helping each other.Seun you know you have acheived a fit that's a dream for many.keep it up bro.
By a way of introduction i recently graduated from O.A.U ile ife chemical engineering with a first class(i said that humbly) and iam currently serving in an oil company in ikoyi.
i humbly want to contribute my own quota on this site and since mathematics is my strenght i decided to do something along that line
if anyone has any maths question,assignment , from secondary school level to university,gmat,gre and sat maths questions, Kindly bring it on .

All the maths whiz in the house come on let's make this thread exciting

Nice to meet u here,i graduated from OAU too i am preparing for gre too bt i av issues with maths, can i av ur num so i can chat u up privately....my mail is wandeololade@ gmail .com...thanks
Re: Do You Have Any Maths Question? Kindly Bring It On by Livebygrace: 6:50pm On Apr 27, 2017
U guys are doing great here. Keep it up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan, Post Graduate Admission Forms / Kaduna Sacks 233 Teachers Over Fake Certificates, Insists On Competency Test / Please How Do I Retrieve My NECO Exam Number?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.