Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,936 members, 7,890,077 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:54 AM

What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? (655 Views)

Minister Onyeama Walks Away When Asked About Nigeria's Stance On Ukraine (Video) / Ayo Adebanjo: Ojukwu Betrayed Awolowo With The Civil War / Buhari Campaign Slams US, Others Over Stance On Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by ImadeUReadThis: 11:32pm On Apr 06, 2023
Fela's discography does not have one single album, track or verse concerning the civil war.

Did Fela not give a rats ass on Igbo sufferings ? Or was he a pro one Nigerianist ?

I find Fela being pro one Nigeria near impossible . The man did not give a flying fck about Nigerian politics up till his Baba 70 album.

Fela only became a social critic after Obasanjo sent troops to dismantle the first African Shrine at Ojuelegba .

That was the "it's on now nigga" moment for Fela that triggered a new genre of politics activism through music. Prior, Fela just wanted to play music in his club.

But Fela never bothered reviewing the civil war ?

Could it be that Fela thought the Igbo deserved the ass kicking they got ?
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:34pm On Apr 06, 2023
Wole Soyinka that went to prison because of them is being disparaged by the same people

2 Likes

Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by ImadeUReadThis: 11:36pm On Apr 06, 2023
BeLookingIDIOT:
Whole Soyinka that went to prison because of them is being disparaged by the same people

They even insulted Fela's memory recently all because his son (Seun) refused to endorse their candidate . Even femi came under fire for calling them zombies .

1 Like

Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by Napata77: 11:37pm On Apr 06, 2023
ImadeUReadThis:
Fela's discography does not have one single album, track or verse concerning the civil war.

Did Fela not give a rats ass on Igbo sufferings ? Or was he a pro one Nigerianist ?

I find Fela being pro one Nigeria near impossible . The man did not give a flying fck about Nigerian politics up till his Baba 70 album.

Fela only became a social critic after Obasanjo sent troops to dismantle the first African Shrine at Ojuelegba .

That was the "it's on now nigga" moment for Fela that triggered a new genre of politics activism through music. Prior, Fela just wanted to play music in his club.

Could it be that Fela though the Igbo deserved the ass kicking they got ?

Your Biafran military dictator, Ojukwu ILLEGALLY declared secession, and the military was ordered to deal with the situation.

What did you expect Fela to do?

Why should he defend an illegality?

Fela was a nationalist and a patriot, who LOVED Nigeria, unlike your traitorous, treasonable self.

He wasn't a criminal like you. Get lost.
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by ImadeUReadThis: 12:05am On Apr 07, 2023
Napata77:

Your Biafran military dictator, Ojukwu ILLEGALLY declared secession, and the military was ordered to deal with the situation.

What did you expect Fela to do?

Why should he defend an illegality?

Fela was a nationalist and a patriot, who LOVED Nigeria, unlike your traitorous, treasonable self.

He wasn't a criminal like you. Get lost.

You are pissing on the wrong post .
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by PlayerMeji: 12:10am On Apr 07, 2023
Oya.... let us discredit Fela and tarnish his image and spoil his legacies....

Oya.... lets do that and tell the whole world that Baba Fela was a bigot...he never cared for igbos though he never sang about any tribe in his music but he should have cared about igbos....

At least, igbos lost the war so he should have sung a song about about igbos' plight though if igbos have won the war against Nigeria it wouldn't have mattered but for the fact that igbos lost that war, anybody who did not sing about that war must be made to pay for it...

So Fela is not great because he didn't sing about Biafra war

... submissions according to iPoB Miscreants

ImadeUReadThis:

1 Like

Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by ImadeUReadThis: 12:12am On Apr 07, 2023
PlayerMeji:
Oya.... let us discredit Fela and tarnish his image and spoil his legacies....

Oya.... lets do that and tell the whole world that Baba Fela was a bigot...he never cared for igbos though he never sang about any tribe in his music but he should have cared about igbos....

At least, igbos lost the war so he should have sung a song about about igbos' plight though if igbos have won the war against Nigeria it wouldn't have mattered but for the fact that igbos lost that war, anybody who did not sing about that war must be made to pay for it...

So Fela is not great because he didn't sing about Biafra war

... submissions according to iPoB Miscreants

Read my post again and this time do it slowly.

Calling me who happens to be the nightmare of many an okoro Jew an IPOB miscreant shows you are very brand new here.
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by Draslo(m): 12:21am On Apr 07, 2023
You people are always looking for problems where there is none. The world does not revolve around the South Eastern Nigerian geopolitical zone. It was the Igbos that first developed derogatory terms for Hausas and Yorubas and you wonder why they are the least liked tribe within our borders.
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by PlayerMeji: 12:25am On Apr 07, 2023
Pele ooo... Oga landlord,

ImadeUReadThis:

Calling me who happens to be the nightmare of many an okoro Jew an IPOB miscreant shows you are very brand new here.
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by Comelysync: 1:35am On Apr 07, 2023
ImadeUReadThis:

lolzzz nightmare of okoro jews..very funny, go and delete your old post first praising Igbos and demonizing others.
Wetin Fela do you sef,why can't you allow the dead to rest in Peace? Or is it because he is Yoruba and the most recognized African musically in the whole world? On same level as Bob Marley and no Igbo musician has attained that level, dead or alive you have to create this thread?
FOR your information there were alot of Igbos in Egypt 80 band, not only that the shrine is and was a home for everyone, Fela was still finding his feet during and after the war, and i have no recollection of any musician from any tribe supporting or admonishing the war, the idea then was ok war is bad, it has happened can we all move on? But you are here 60 years later am not sure you were even born then thinking of the war, when you are suppose to think of the future, come you get work at all?
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by OneCandleAway(f): 6:35am On Apr 07, 2023
ImadeUReadThis:

Felt was actually in support of Biafra.
[/b]Ever wondered about the views of outspoken Afrobeat maverick, Fela Kuti, on the failed secession bid of Biafra and the civil war of 1967 to 1970?

A first-person biography of Fela, written by Carlos Moore, contains an account of his standpoint on the issue.

‘Fela: This B**ch of a Life’, originally published in 1982, is based on hours of conversation the author had with Fela.

An excerpt from chapter nine of the book sees Fela talk about the Biafran war and what secession would have meant for Nigeria, had it been successful.
What Fela said

“The Biafran war had started in ’66 and was now fully underway. I was in Lagos, playing music. I didn’t like the Biafran war though. I thought the Nigerian government was wrong. I thought the Biafrans were right. The Yoruba are not Ibo. I thought the Ibos were right.

“I said to myself, “This whole thing is a cheap, big hustle to put the Ibos in a bad light in the world.” And, in fact, what was happening was the beginning of corruption in Nigeria. That’s evident now.

“The Biafrans were f***ing right to secede, man. If it was secession, it was good secession. Because secession is what could have brought Africa together at that time. From secession, we could come together again. But by not seceding, we’re put together by force. Uhuhhhhhh! That’s what’s happening in Nigeria today. The Ibos don’t understand why they’re in Nigeria.

“The Yorubas don’t know what’s happening. And the Hausas, they want to dominate everybody. The whole thing is f***ing confusion. I don’t even know myself why we’re in Nigeria; how we all got to be together in this country, in the first place. No politician has ever gone into that. If Ojukwu had seceded, we would have started our own history. We would have known why we seceded and what happened.

“How did we get together in the first place? Uh? That’s the real question. Why don’t any of the politicians ever ask that question? Eh? Anyway, at that time, when the war was going on, I wasn’t politically minded at all.

“I made my comments as a citizen. I was just another musician, playing with Koola Lobitos and singing love songs, songs about rain, about people… What did I know? That’s when I split to America.”

Source: https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/fela-kuti-biafra-war-secession/[/b]
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by Arda1000(m): 7:05am On Apr 07, 2023
ImadeUReadThis:

Both u and the one u are replying are very folish
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by Arda1000(m): 7:11am On Apr 07, 2023
Fela is the greatest yoruba man,he say it as it is not like the afonjas we have today that are full of lies and deceits.
Re: What Was Fela's Stance On The Civil War ? by Houseontherock1: 7:17am On Apr 07, 2023
Archeologist...keep on digging...after Fela, dig up dirt on all "our heroes past", let's know their stance on the civil war

(1) (Reply)

Rinu Oduala: If Her Father Had Not Cum Inside Her Mother... / House Of Assembly Candidate Caught Snatching Ballot Boxes / Igbos Are Calling On Various Niger Delta Militant Groups To Caution Asari Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.