Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,915 members, 7,973,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 09:35 AM

Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was (52231 Views)

Charly Boy Wishes Buhari A Happy 76th Birthday. See How (Photos) / Charly Boy Mocks Rochas Okorocha: 'No Go Hang Yourself' / Charly Boy Joins Shiites' Protest In Abuja(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Legitisreal: 7:36pm On Apr 08, 2023
Xfemt:
the same Soyinka that lead protest during Gej’s
What happened to him now

I respect him but he should have kept quite or be neutral not showing his tribalistic side
he never was the man to keep quite

Even when ojukwu was slaughtering his people he didn't keep quite

He has been on the field fighting for democracy when obi was still sucking brest, it is people like him that should benefit their struggle not obi that did nothing to bring democracy.

Sokinya have been on the media lambasting buhari for long

Did you organize protest against buhari that he didn't attend because Gej own was not his protest he simply attended

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by pquaver(m): 7:37pm On Apr 08, 2023
Legitisreal:
Ipob would deceive you that they were looking for one Nigeria progess

Their frustration on not getting obi is now exposing their bigotry

Chimanda supported Obi cos he is Igbo
Ojiakor supported because they would get seaport
Charleyboy supported to have one over yorubas which failed as usual

These are those that have confessed openly, the ones that haven't are now attacking yorubas as a people as a tip of their intentions

Did we not warn Nigerians? We that are patriotic Nigerians of igbostuck, did we not shout it loud and clear. Some foolish yorubas and hausas deceided to fall. Do you know why an igbo man will run away from such ethnic affiliation? If it is not terrible trust me we will key in.. I wont even open mouth to say zhe kind of things they have in mind for Nigeria.. I thank good the majority are patriotic and the won.. The bullet missed.. God bless Nigeria..

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by JOemmy(m): 7:37pm On Apr 08, 2023
Hedonini:
Of course. I lost respect for the old fool the moment I discerned that he was just another rodent in Tinubu's cookie room. The idiot whose voice of condemnation was very loud against the Jonathan administration somehow retreated into his shell and became deaf and dumb throughout Buhari's disastrous 8 years of sorrow.

Now after a sham election has supposedly produced a bloody thief and drug baron as president, the useless Soyinka has found his voice again, not in condemnation of the election or of the disreputable criminal that was dubiously pronounced winner, but against the people yearning for a change. Obedients are repugnant fascists and he is ready to do a debate with Datti, but he conveniently has nothing to say about INEC, Tinubu, and the APC. This is the final straw.

Tinibu have almost succeeded in buying everyone with his ill gotten money so sad to see.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 7:38pm On Apr 08, 2023
shinealight:

Was Achebe not alive when Soyinka was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature?….Obviously the assessment was carried out by neutral assessors and not myopic commentators like our Area father! cool cool
He was alive and..... Envious
He. said

In 1988, when Achebe was asked how he felt about never winning a Nobel Prize; he replied that although the Nobel Prize was important, it was a European prize, not an African one.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Legitisreal: 7:39pm On Apr 08, 2023
Deepthoughts:
It's not just about ethnic affiliation, I'm not igbo but I must say that wole soyinka,just like FAROOQ KPEROGI N RENO OMOKRI have become a disgrace of themselves due to this elections,Wole soyinka was so voiciferous during Johnathan even calling Johnathan a buffoon n his wife a shepopotamus! the same soyinka lost his voice all this while that APC/buhari has been mismanaging the country only for him to find his voice again because Tinubu had been declared president elect, soyinka is no longer concerned about standards or right again, soyinka is worse.
if you are not an hypocrite please go to the first page and see sokinya many attacks against buhari

You Igbos should own your affiliation with full chest henceforth

We all must not worship obi and villify any body critising him when we call tinubu drug lord and names all day

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Major7: 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

We will NOT, Oga. sad

The Tribalism u see in Nigeria and Nairaland is caused by none other, than the Demonic APC party. undecided

During Jonathan's Era, there was nothing like Tribal Slurs/Fights on our social media spaces. 😒

After 2015, When Buhari FAILED WOEFULLY, he was Attacked and APC goons on Nairaland defended him.
The Defenders are from South West.
Out of Anger, Attackers called them names and they too, called the attackers names. 😐

Dat's the Genesis of TRIBALISM. embarassed

Pure Fallout from APC Misrule. sad

I know buhari and APC caused it all,we haven't been this divided before embarassed, I'm from the southwest but I love all cos we belong to the same race. I pray God intervene in this situation cos it's becoming alarming

2 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by chikason22(m): 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:

Source: https://twitter.com/areafada1/status/1644585830722183169?s=46&t=oGAxjhiGeufNKlYA6fDTyA
Shit up and tell is why Thiéfnubu is running away and planning to appear for a pipe dream inauguration on May 29. Let me tell you boy. Of Thiéfnubu doesn't do the needful or court don't do the needful to strip that criminal drug kingpin of your tribesman, na for that stolen mandate him go kpai. Bookmark it. And you people will be dealt with.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Father4all: 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
Charly boy was right. Shoyinka is a big disgrace
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Kukutenla: 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

To govern any Yoruba state you must think in Yoruba
You might not like it but that is the reality
Yoruba is BY LAW an official language in Lagos state
https://www.lagoshouseofassembly.gov.ng/lagos-assembly-passes-bill-on-use-of-yoruba-language-into-law/
Ibo is not
So the two do not enjoy the same status or privilege in Lagos state
The Lagos State House of Assembly has passed into law a Bill to promote the use of Yoruba Language in Lagos schools.

The Bill is entitled, “A Bill for a Law To Provide for the Preservation and Promotion of the Use of Yoruba Language and for Connected purposes.”
According to the Bill, it would be compulsory for all primary and secondary schools in the state to include teaching of Yoruba Language as a core subject at all levels.

The bill also provides that all the laws in the state would be translated into Yoruba Language.
It was added that any school that fails to comply with the provisions of Section 2 of the law commits an offence and is liable on first violation to issuance of warning and on subsequent violation be closed down and also pay a fine of N500,000.
A superficial law is what it means to think in Yoruba?
Yoruba is already in the educational curriculum of Nigeria so you don't need a law in Lagos state to make it a subject. Students write Yoruba language in Waec and NECO.
I was expecting something more tangible than a dud law that makes no difference to anyone remotely connected with Yoruba
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by brightDdon(m): 7:41pm On Apr 08, 2023
Legitisreal:
you are just a pained ipob

You can deny your tribe all I care, Daddy Adeboye didn't have to open his mouth before Igbos still came for him

Is this a satanic oath to be all for obi or what

Sokinya have always been vocal irrespective on who is groused

What then make him a conductor because it's about the transgender man you support

Smile.

Bro,please calm down...
I don't i supported Obi but since Tinibu played the nigeria politics better its fine i am ok,we move.

But Soyinka is already talking too much for his calibre Of person.

And he talks undiplomatcally
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by GUNITGuy: 7:41pm On Apr 08, 2023
babtoundey:

Because it's a national prize that was anchored controled by IBB. bittered goat!
Achebe too should have lobbied with Ojukwu to secure his own prize. Nonsense and ingredients.

Most of you are born with envy and bitterness.
Or Goodluck should have lobbied for Chimamanda Adichie to win Nobel prize for their TRIBALLY Superior Ego

5 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Spandau: 7:42pm On Apr 08, 2023
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by DeepSight(m): 7:42pm On Apr 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

Do not forget Achebe wrote that book at the age of 28. He was still learning his craft .

More the genius.

Rest of your comments - thanks for the revert, but agree to disagree.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MotiveU(f): 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2023
oyin44:
Just because he criticized obi and his crying baby...

Anyway, isn't his fault l blame the imperial government that united us together....

Of course. I lost respect for the old fool the moment I discerned that he was just another rodent in Tinubu's cookie room. The idiot whose voice of condemnation was very loud against the Jonathan administration somehow retreated into his shell and became deaf and dumb throughout Buhari's disastrous 8 years of sorrow.

Now after a sham election has supposedly produced a bloody thief and drug baron as president, the useless Soyinka has found his voice again, not in condemnation of the election or of the disreputable criminal that was dubiously pronounced winner, but against the people yearning for a change. Obedients are repugnant fascists and he is ready to do a debate with Datti, but he conveniently has nothing to say about INEC, Tinubu, and the APC. This is the final straw.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by MotiveU(f): 7:43pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
People should see the hypocrisy of the Ibo people.

They will lie that they are supporting Obi not because of tribe but yet anytime a Yoruba man speak against their candidate, they start accusing the person of tribalism and etc.

Why did Charley boy compare Soyinka to Achebe if not for tribalism? The hateful Chimamanda also mentioned he supported Obi because he is Ibo but if a Yoruba man says that we won’t hear word online again.

In all this, I’ve not seen the useless Falz and Marcaroni come out to condemn this assault on our living legend, but the useless guys will be online to cry about tribalism when a Yoruba celeb give it to these guys hot.

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Spandau: 7:44pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
Achebe died an envious unfulfilled man and legend has it that envy for Wole Soyinka contributed to his death.

Why I love God is that he always make Yoruba triumph, we have bested the Ibos in all strata of achievement if we go head to head.

Below is Prof. Wole Soyinka telling the world how embarrassed he was on the kind of envy and hatred Achebe showed when he won the Nobel Laureate.

Soyinka is more of just a writer, he is an icon. A million Achebe can not measure up to him.

Gbam!!!! These people see Yorubas as their one and only obstacle.

5 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by eyinjuege: 7:44pm On Apr 08, 2023
Why is he bringing in Soyinka's work into this?
Is he trying to compare Achebe and Soyinka's literature or what?
I don't seem to understand the comparison though, and the basis. Did Charley boy respect Soyinka for his literary works or for his activism?
Abi what's the comparison between Achebe and Soyinka other than their literary works?
They both were great writers with different styles of writing
It would be more appropriate to compare their sociopolitical impact but I'm not sure Achebe was ever into activism, though I may be wrong .
Soyinka has always been prominent in political spaces, and social justice issues from his youth, which has nothing to do with his writing gift.

8 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Gajagojo: 7:46pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

During Chinua Achebe's time on Earth, he was NOT ever Caught doing Double Speaks.
He NEVER engaged in BIASED Politics or even Politics@all. 😎

While Wole Soyinka was always on PDP/Jonathan's Neck
But Currently, He went MUTE with all the CATASTROPHIC FAILURE/Mismanagement by ur APC party.😕

Dat's why the Old Man is being Dragged. smiley
That is your opinion
Achebe was the propagandist of Biafra. A LIAR
His book There was a country is full of lies and bigotry.

6 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Triangles1(m): 7:46pm On Apr 08, 2023
Legitisreal:
is a whole sokinya you are insulting now cos he airs his opinion as a yoruba

Let somebody criticise any igboman you people would be telling us how he can feed the commenter generation

I guess there is now someone in your family and village that suddenly have more international prestige & recognition than sokinya

This one loud.
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Legitisreal: 7:47pm On Apr 08, 2023
brightDdon:

Smile.

Bro,please calm down...
I don't i supported Obi but since Tinibu played the nigeria politics better its fine i am ok,we move.

But Soyinka is already talking too much for his calibre Of person.

And he talks undiplomatcally
I don't support tinubu either, I am pdp but why are igbos now foaming in the mouth about tinubu

Where they not told we needed one house cos they where empowering tinubu indirectly

Why are they now running from this breakfast, the attacks on tinubu and yorubas is becoming too much

Adeboye own na vex me pass, he didn't say anything he was still dragged, is it today sokinya have been issuing statement that would bite some and gather others.

The man has paid his dues on the field literally for this democracy, where was obi then

Is it the obi groups that would now tell us how to see soyinka the legend

What you call undiplomatic is political correctness and soyinka never followed such even in military era and was ready to pay the price

9 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Spandau: 7:50pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Why will any Dunce say he can't speak where Wole Soyinka is speaking? sad

Who is Wole Soyinka btw? Is he an Inventor? undecided

Do Pple live their Lives by Big Grammar? 😏

Well, he has. Even got recognized for it

6 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Creeper: 7:52pm On Apr 08, 2023
Shikena:

I did not even see Achebe on the list of winners. I only saw Ben Okri. Can you pls share a link on this?

Achebe didn’t win the proper Man Booker Prize for literature - hence you didn’t see him on the list of winners. He won the international version, which is more of a legacy recognition award.

This is the list of the proper Man Booker Prize winners: https://cals.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/man-booker-prize-winners.pdf (Ben Okri and Gordimer made this list)

But this is the version Achebe won: https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/authors/chinua-achebe

Anyway, I don’t know why people like comparing Soyinka and Achebe. It reeks of insecurity and jealousy.

Prof. Wole Soyinka is greater than Achebe in the literary world and he’s much more versatile. And apart from the Nobel Prize Laureate - he has won prestigious awards in Theatre. Prof. Soyinka is also a revolutionary and an activist on the same level as some of the greats.

Achebe was just a writer - a great story teller. That’s where the comparison ends.

10 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by tishbite42: 7:54pm On Apr 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Ur head nor Correct, Sir. 😕

Justice Oputa, of the Famous Oputa Panel that invited IBB, Gani Fawehinmi,etc? shocked

U think we are talking about Festus Keyamo?

U Smoke Ciga this Morning? 😏
Don't mind the nitwit
Oputa even summoned Soyinka and Soyinka appeared before the Panel

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Invest4growth: 7:54pm On Apr 08, 2023
What has Profs said that is bad. He said I will always speak the truth. We cannot all hide from the facts. This was a man who said he advised Atiku and Tinubu to steer clear of the political process and not contest. The two of them rejected his advice, which is a normal thing.
It is not good to.speak of the dead. However, the only thing Prof Achebe never got in his life time, the Nobel laureate, to the struggle by literary giants, Prof Soyinka can brandish it. I don't expect Mr Oputa to vomit what he said

5 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by osigiepurr(m): 7:55pm On Apr 08, 2023
Look at Charlie boy running his gutter mouth to a high profiled and celebrated personality of all time. Someone that was outrightly disowned and rejected by his father (Oputa) for mischievous character. Someone whose family (wife and children) are obidiently in a state of disarray for living a disoriented life style. Someone that fell from grace to grass by mobilizing all Okada riders in Lagos to form a parallel Agbero gang thereby by tagging himself as "Area father". The Younger generation has actually deleted the historical memory space from their tiny brainbox called Medulla Oblongata due to their myopic sentiments. It's quite unfortunate that Nigeria is turning into a conglomerate planet where every Tom, Dick and Harry can sit behind their computer as faceless ethnic bigots, religious egocentric and political sychophants to vent anger including verbal and written insults on anybody simply because, such person or group of people are not supporting or saying what they actually want to hear. Infact, we are gradually crawling to the end of Naija Eldorado as a free entity......I rest my case!✍️😫😩

3 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by tishbite42: 7:56pm On Apr 08, 2023
Creeper:

Achebe didn’t win the proper Man Booker Prize for literature - hence you didn’t see him on the list of winners. He won the international version, which is more of a legacy recognition award.

This is the list of the proper Man Booker Prize winners: https://cals.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/man-booker-prize-winners.pdf (Ben Okri and Gordimer made this list)

But this is the version Achebe won: https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/authors/chinua-achebe

Anyway, I don’t know why people like comparing Soyinka and Achebe. It reeks of insecurity and jealousy.

Prof. Wole Soyinka is greater than Achebe in the literary world and he’s much more versatile. And apart from the Nobel Prize Laureate - he has won prestigious awards in Theatre. Prof. Soyinka is also a revolutionary and an activist on the same level as some of the greats.

Achebe was just a writer - a great story teller. That’s where the comparison ends.
Things Fall Apart is what Soyinka would never achieve even if he lives for the next hundred years
Achebe is in a galaxy of his own
He's top 100, dead or alive, in literature worldwide
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by brightDdon(m): 7:57pm On Apr 08, 2023
Legitisreal:
I don't support tinubu either, I am pdp but why are igbos now foaming in the mouth about tinubu

Where they not told we needed one house cos they where empowering tinubu indirectly

Why are they now running from this breakfast, the attacks on tinubu and yorubas is becoming too much

Adeboye own na vex me pass, he didn't say anything he was still dragged, is it today sokinya have been issuing statement that would bite some and gather others.

The man has paid his dues on the field literally for this democracy, where was obi then

Is it the obi groups that would now tell us how to see soyinka the legend

What you call undiplomatic is political correctness and soyinka never followed such even in military era and was ready to pay the price

Ok bro

Let peace leads
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by 77up(m): 7:58pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
People should see the hypocrisy of the Ibo people.

They will lie that they are supporting Obi not because of tribe but yet anytime a Yoruba man speak against their candidate, they start accusing the person of tribalism and etc.

Why did Charley boy compare Soyinka to Achebe if not for tribalism? The hateful Chimamanda also mentioned he supported Obi because he is Ibo but if a Yoruba man says that we won’t hear word online again.

In all this, I’ve not seen the useless Falz and Marcaroni come out to condemn this assault on our living legend, but the useless guys will be online to cry about tribalism when a Yoruba celeb give it to these guys hot.
You dey mind those useless guys leaking Obidients scrotum, bunch of senseless fools. We go see how it ends.

4 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by maintenant: 7:59pm On Apr 08, 2023
LegendHero:
Achebe died an envious unfulfilled man and legend has it that envy for Wole Soyinka contributed to his death.

Why I love God is that he always make Yoruba triumph, we have bested the Ibos in all strata of achievement if we go head to head.

Below is Prof. Wole Soyinka telling the world how embarrassed he was on the kind of envy and hatred Achebe showed when he won the Nobel Laureate.

Soyinka is more of just a writer, he is an icon. A million Achebe can not measure up to him.
You are an ignoramus of the most prestine form...

Your man has an award given to him by a Swedish outfit...

Chinua Achebe never hid the fact that he wouldnt exchange his objectivity and intellectual moral high ground for one thousand prizes....

Chinua Achebe is the author of one of the 100 most popular and important books of all time ...

How many people outside Nigeria know of your man's works?

Nigeria will not end with a compromised election....

He who laughs last, last the best...

1 Like

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by sangresan(m): 7:59pm On Apr 08, 2023
Igbos have always been like this. From Azikiwe to Ojukwu to Achebe to Ekwueme to Nwanyawu to Nzeribe to Ezeife to Obi Nwanem.

They stoke embers of discord and play victim card when the consequences dawn on them.

See a man-child called Charly criticizing Soyinka who endured months of imprisonment for supporting the Biafran cause. Any good you do Ibos, they will see you as mumu. We have been telling Yoruba liberals to see these people for who they are: wicked hypocrites who don't deserve our political alliance in any form.

8 Likes

Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by greenandy: 8:00pm On Apr 08, 2023
shinealight:

Why didn’t your King of England put in a word for Achebe to get the Nobel Prize then? grin grin grin

Lol. That was shortly after the 3 years civil war when Achebe was in Biafra shrouded in the civil war. The Nobel family wanted black Africa to benefit from its awards then. Wole Soyinka was handy.
By the way, does Soyinka not understand that the Alfred Nobel family can now start to question its award to Soyinka who now supports an indicted drug trafficker, Tinubu, to preside over Nigeria?
Re: Charly Boy Said Wole Soyinka Can Never Be The Man Achebe Was by Urchinpainer: 8:01pm On Apr 08, 2023
oyin44:
Mynd44
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mukina2
Dominique

Rule2..
deliberately provoking a Nairalander

Insulting and bullying. .rule2

Mugu, in case you don't notice, we are moving to Twitter

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Man Trekking To Otuoke For GEJ Gets Female Partner [photo] / Meet Nigeria’s Female Governorship Running Mates (Pics) / Jubilations From All Over Nigeria.. In Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.