Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,247 members, 7,891,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 09:31 AM

Advice Fellow Moms In The House - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice Fellow Moms In The House (2362 Views)

Moms Get In Here / An Open Letter To Moms From Kid President / Shout Out To Amazing Moms :*) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Fellow Moms In The House by Tiana155(f): 12:58pm On Sep 22, 2011
Hello, i need your candid advice, my baby is almost 3yrs old and she refuses to take on any other food except cerelac please advice me on how to stop her the food and what's the best alternative food? She's my first baby i dont have experience.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 22, 2011
Mothers will soon arrive here to answer ur question.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by plappville(f): 2:03pm On Sep 22, 2011
3 yrs and she takes only cerelac? A new mother u re surposed to asked question before your baby arrives.

Where are all the vegetables and fruits in the market? At her age home made foods is what she needs.

Buy fresh green vegetables, Spinach,sweet potato Carrot, rice etc, with all these, and make her thick soups. Thes are nutritionally rich, as they are fresh. But try to reduce the quentity of rice.

By training her to this foods she learns straight away to eat the family food, and i tell u these foods are quite economical as compared to commercial products. Give semi-solids 3 times a day. She has teeth so she can shaw very well.
Her milk can still continues for as long as she take it. Milk is very ensential for every1.

I starts vegetable light soup with my kids from age 6 months, and they have been growing well.

God give u wisdom on how to continue.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by Smilenw(f): 2:32pm On Sep 22, 2011
OMG ! 3 yrs n only cerelac? Do you know the serious nutritional deficiency this kid coud be facing. They are so full of energy and they need an equal input to keep them going. What does her doc say about this? Is she gaining height/weight normally?

Believe me when I say these kids have a Phd in testing one's patience when it comes to food. Nevertheless, keep on trying. Thatz what mothers are for wink Assuming she has no medical issues, try the following-

1)  I used to mix fruits like mashed banana, pureed apple and veggies like boiled and mashed carrots, sweet potatoes etc with my kid's cerelac when he was 6-7 months. Gradually I reduced the amount of cerelac in it and finally when he had enough teeth to bite, I stopped pureeing them. You could try the same too.

2) She should be asked to eat on the table with the rest of the family and given some bite size food in a plate. It coud be anything, just to get her to start the habit of eating adult food.

3) There is no harm in indulging them a bit at this age. Try flavouring food with chocolate syrups etc , if she prefers sweet. Some kids like spicy food while some others detest them. See how yours is and try cooking a small portion for her when you cook for the family.

4) Never feed the child on a timely basis. Let her get hungry and let her ask you for food. Try offering the adult food/the food you've cooked for her.

5)  What does she do when she goes to the playschool? Most playgroups I know encourages toddlers to eat on their own.

6) Try to take her into the kitchen when you cook (when you are not too busy). Try to invove her in helping you ike fetching the veggies and stuff. Allow her to taste the food and ask her for advice. Mine often eats some raw veggies during our combined cookery sessions like cucumber, carrots etc.

7) There are hundred of sites that offer recipes for kiddie foods. Most of them are simple with easy to obtain ingredients. Try them out.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL---As a mom, when you see the child is not taking her food, you might be tempted to offer her cerelac. Stop buying them for a week and see how it goes. A 3 yr is old enough to understand when you tell her that there is no cerelac left in the house.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by Outstrip(f): 12:09am On Sep 23, 2011
This is serious. Your child is probably malnourished. You are the mother. You need to train her to eat right. If she is eating only cerelac it is because you are allowing it. no child will starve themselves to death. Cook rice and stew and feed it to her. This is stubborness. Barring any major food allergies there is need for your child to refuse food. Honestly the only time I have seeing kids eating like this has been times when parents just did not invest the time to make sure the kids ate right. At 3 years of age the excuse of first time mother has expired. I hope I did not sound too harsh. Just take it like it is coming from your sister.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by Nobody: 12:56am On Sep 23, 2011
No you are not harsh Outstrip. You hit the nail on the head. When I read her post I was like. . .naaa, I won't reply this thread, Seriously? A 3yr old only eating cerelac? Does she want this child to have malnutrition issues? If anything happes to that child, the mother will be held responsible for it. Even @ 8 months, mums are beginning to try out solid food on their babies. That child is still eating cerelac because the mum is allowing. I started with well cooked pumpkin and correct naija well cooked soft beans, then I graduated to rice.

Stop the cerelac, when she is hungry and does not see cerelac to eat, she will eat something else. Tears cannot kill a child.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by bolorunfem(f): 11:50am On Sep 23, 2011
Na wah o! 3-year old still feeding on Cerelac? shocked shocked Madam Tiana, you are a funny mother o! Did you really mean Cerelac or Golden Morn?
I'm a first mother too an there's no adult food my 2yr old cannot eat. I totally subscribe to ALL the tips given by Smilenw below.
Pls try them and give us a feedback. Goodluck.
Re: Advice Fellow Moms In The House by Outstrip(f): 2:54pm On Sep 23, 2011
jennykadry:

No you are not harsh Outstrip. You hit the nail on the head. When I read her post I was like. . .naaa, I won't reply this thread, Seriously? A 3yr old only eating cerelac? Does she want this child to have malnutrition issues? If anything happes to that child, the mother will be held responsible for it. Even @ 8 months, mums are beginning to try out solid food on their babies. That child is still eating cerelac because the mum is allowing. I started with well cooked pumpkin and correct naija well cooked soft beans, then I graduated to rice.

Stop the cerelac, when she is hungry and does not see cerelac to eat, she will eat something else. Tears cannot kill a child.

Seconded

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Experienced Betrayal? / My Father-in-law Is Five Years Younger Than Me... But Calls Me Son' / My Husband Urinated While Sleeping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.